• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

So if I do 1 bounty from each Act I should get one cache from each Act?

At the end of the day you completed the requirements for one cache, perhaps two if you actually participated in 7 bounties. At most you should receive the rewards that were within two caches.

I am amazed that this even has to be explained.

Here are the basics of this.
In a game like this, efficiency vs reward is a main factor in determining difficulties and drops.

With bounties, and different difficulties being present, if all difficulties drop a cache and its content is not determined by difficulty*, THEN it is obvious that the only remaining factor here is the SPEED at which players acquire it.

So a player can utilize high mobility builds -even sacrificing dps, to exchange a few seconds more time (if even that) spent on elites towards higher mobility in reaching the destination -, and that would mean an increase in efficiency.

But: if only movement speed is the main factor here, in multiplayer games, number of players would exponentially speed up this process. You should ONLY get a bounty if you were present in the kill - aka you were in the screen at the time of death, be it a bosskill or "kill n enemies" type of situation. But, and this I am certain of, devs decided that this would be a HASSLE to people: if you join a friend's game, and he already cleared a bounty, then you will not get yours completed, and that sucks, etc. In beta, there were times when players were on different bounties, even when playing together. That is one solution, players did not like it. (Am I remembering this correctly? Or is that Marvel heroes and legendary quests?). The other solution is to ignore a problem and see it being exploited - this is our current reality.

The other solution is to scale the cache contents appropriately. And you should definitely never get a bounty off-Act.

Bingo.

I'm in the nerf the bounty cache group too, you're able to do the same amount of work and get five times the rewards. Should be hotfixed, even.

Nah, we should just buff it to where I do one Act of bounties but get the rewards for doing four.

But everyone would still do split bounties, because they enjoy the diversity...right

V_Arnold

I am amazed that this even has to be explained.

Here are the basics of this.
In a game like this, efficiency vs reward is a main factor in determining difficulties and drops.

With bounties, and different difficulties being present, if all difficulties drop a cache and its content is not determined by difficulty*, THEN it is obvious that the only remaining factor here is the SPEED at which players acquire it.

So a player can utilize high mobility builds -even sacrificing dps, to exchange a few seconds more time (if even that) spent on elites towards higher mobility in reaching the destination -, and that would mean an increase in efficiency.

But: if only movement speed is the main factor here, in multiplayer games, number of players would exponentially speed up this process. You should ONLY get a bounty if you were present in the kill - aka you were in the screen at the time of death, be it a bosskill or "kill n enemies" type of situation. But, and this I am certain of, devs decided that this would be a HASSLE to people: if you join a friend's game, and he already cleared a bounty, then you will not get yours completed, and that sucks, etc. In beta, there were times when players were on different bounties, even when playing together. That is one solution, players did not like it. (Am I remembering this correctly? Or is that Marvel heroes and legendary quests?). The other solution is to ignore a problem and see it being exploited - this is our current reality.

The other solution is to scale the cache contents appropriately. And you should definitely never get a bounty off-Act.

I'm in the nerf the bounty cache group too, you're able to do the same amount of work and get five times the rewards. Should be hotfixed, even.

It's Blizzard, can't have people having too much fun.

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not, if so ignore this.

It isn't about fun or nerfing fun. At the heart of Diablo or any ARPG for that matter is efficiency. People are going to naturally gravitate towards the most efficient use of their time; whether that be xp or loot. If one method of gameplay is drastically altering that balance then you have a massive problem. Split-farming is a problem in that regard.

Played all night pretty much with shit luck on drops but this made it all worth it.

DI7ncIU.jpg

Damage could be higher but the rest is solid. It makes up for the horrifying Mortal Drama roll I got the other day (no primary stats, no crit stats, no socket, +poison dmg).

Kssio_Aug said:
Complain about nerfing the splitted bounties is almost asking to step back to the boring formula of farming the specific efficient location over and over again... that my friends, teamed or not, is tiring as hell.

The reality is someone is going to find the most efficient way to farm xp/legs and people will just grind that forever no matter what, whether it be CotA, Core, split farming, whatever. When split farming gets nerfed, something else will quickly take it's place.

Kssio_Aug

No it really isn't.

Fixing what is most definitely a bug in the game does not mean you have to switch to chest farming. You could actually group up and tackle those bounties together or you could solo them if you desire.

I dont think split team is the "disease" here, I believe the problem is again the reward at higher difficulties. The split team occurs, for obvious reason, at lower difficulties where everyone can do it alone... it happens and the reward is (almost) the same as doing at higher difficulties, but a lot more eficiently for being easy pie.

Split teams is cooperative. However, it would be more interesting if you find interest on doing bounties at higher difficulties to find better loot. When it happens, not every team will be able to split up. There should have a choice: speed farming, or higher difficulty farming. And both should efficiently reward you, but today, the 1st one is the only one.

V_Arnold

The reality is someone is going to find the most efficient way to farm xp/legs and people will just grind that forever no matter what, whether it be CotA, Core, split farming, whatever. When split farming gets nerfed, something else will quickly take it's place.

Of course. The question is: how big of a difference is there with the MOST efficient and the average efficiency. I would say no hassle 4 time difference is a BIG problem.

NIN90

I wish they would have gone further with the Rift stuff and copied the map system of PoE/TL2 where it's possible to pick a stage and mutators.
As it is, I don't see anything that's any different from normal farming? I could be wrong though since I have only done four Rifts so far.

Moff

So if I do 1 bounty from each Act I should get one cache from each Act?

At the end of the day you completed the requirements for one cache, perhaps two if you actually participated in 7 bounties. At most you should receive the rewards that were within two caches.

I'll have to repeat myself
you can turn this however you want, it doesnt matter if:

1) you either complete 1 bounty for one act (while 3 other players do the other 4 bounties) you will get the cache for that act for cointributing about 25%

2) you dont tackle act after act but everyone does an act of this own, it doesnt matter, there are 25 bounties in one game, which you are rewarded with 5 caches for, you do roughly 25% of the effort for that reward of 5 caches

3) there a boss, a pack of elites, or whatever, and there, too, you will do roughly 25% of the damage while the other 75% are contributed by other players.

the loot of this boss is equal to the 5 caches of scenario 2 or the 1 cache of scenario 1. in all scenarios you contributed roughly 25% for the whole reward.

you dont get anything for free, its the very same thing, contribution wise.
the only difference is, and that is true, you dont actually play in a group.

I really hope 2H Mighty Weapons get buffed. I'd much rather use a 2hander instead of 2 1handers, but 2H is just inferior right now.

I understand 2H weapons can't do much more damage than 1H because of Crusaders, but there is no reason that 2H Mighty Weapons deserve this same nerf.

Rokam

I really hope 2H Mighty Weapons get buffed. I'd much rather use a 2hander instead of 2 1handers, but 2H is just inferior right now.

I understand 2H weapons can't do much more damage than 1H because of Crusaders, but there is no reason that 2H Mighty Weapons deserve this same nerf.

I like the idea (I think it was from in here if not then Reddit) to add an item that goes in the second weapon slot to boost the damage of 2H, like quivers.

I dont think split team is the "disease" here, I believe the problem is again the reward at higher difficulties. The split team occurs, for obvious reason, at lower difficulties, where everyone can do it alone... it happens and the reward is (almost) the same as doing at higher difficulties, but a lot more eficiently for being easy pie.

Split teams is cooperative. However, it would be more intereating if you had intereat on doing bounties at higher difficulties to find better loot. When it happens, not every team will be able to split up. There should have a choice: speed farming, or higher difficulty farming. And both should efficiently reward you, but today, the 1st one is the only one.

Meh, at the end of the day you should not be rewarded for something that you did not do. I honestly do no think that this is a foreign concept. You were not present for those bounties, you did not have anything to do with their progression. As such you should not be rewarded for the completion of said bounties.

I understand that this will always be a cat and mouse game with Blizzard. This however, is something completely different than what has occurred before. CotA, Rumford, RA, w/e. In these runs the player was at least present and actively participating for the reward. Split-Farming is a different beat entirely, you are getting rewarded for something that you had nothing to do with. You were not actively completing the bounties in Act 1, 2, or 3...yet you are getting the reward.

It isn't about fun or nerfing fun. At the heart of Diablo or any ARPG for that matter is efficiency. People are going to naturally gravitate towards the most efficient use of their time; whether that be xp or loot. If one method of gameplay is drastically altering that balance then you have a massive problem. Split-farming is a problem in that regard.

I agree on this. But when you start judging people based on their contributions to the partys reward you're starting to go down a pretty slippery slope.

What it's basically boils down to is that someone is not entitled to something as much as someone else - because they did not contribute as much. The lines here are then starting to get pretty blurry because (if you're not soley basing this on personal issues with people getting legendaries faster than you) it also suggests that people who contribute more to, say a rift guardian kill, should be entitled to more loot. Would that be right?

I think most people agree with what you're saying, but you can't demand a justification from people split farming on why it's right - when you can't prove that it's wrong (using the logic above).

Meh, at the end of the day you should not be rewarded for something that you did not do. I honestly do no think that this is a foreign concept. You were not present for those bounties, you did not have anything to do with their progression. As such you should not be rewarded for the completion of said bounties.

So if you have to answer the door and leave the computer during a boss encounter you shouldn't get a reward for the kill?

Split-Farming is a different beat entirely, you are getting rewarded for something that you had nothing to do with. You were not actively completing the bounties in Act 1, 2, or 3...yet you are getting the reward.

Well, one could argue that you actively contributed in completing the bounties spread over five acts for the reward of five caches. This is all based on your view of what contributing means.

I like the idea (I think it was from in here if not then Reddit) to add an item that goes in the second weapon slot to boost the damage of 2H, like quivers.

That's not a bad idea at all. There are so many ways Blizzard could help out 2H Mighty Weapons. Even allowing 2H Mighty Weapons the ability to roll 2 sockets would be a welcome addition.

I agree on this. But when you start judging people based on their contributions to the partys reward you're starting to go down a pretty slippery slope.

What it's basically boils down to is that someone is not entitled to something as much as someone else - because they did not contribute as much. The lines here are then starting to get pretty blurry because (if you're not soley basing this on personal issues with people getting legendaries faster than you) it also suggests that people who contribute more to, say a rift guardian kill, should be entitled to more loot. Would that be right?

I'm not asking for a dps check or something similar. You guys are going really far to justify split-farming. If I have a group of four clan members and we are all in the Rift and doing crap then all good. I'm not pointing fingers and members on their kill speed or efficiency. Hell you could ask members of the clan. Frequently I tell ask people to join me if they want regardless of their ability. I did a couple T2 rifts and had people join who said that they were concerned that they would slow the group down. It doesn't bother me, so long as they are there and playing with us.

Can you not see how Split-Farming is counterproductive at all?

You have a group of four players.

Player A: Tackles the Act 1 bounties
Player B: Tackles the Act 2 bounties
Player C: Tackles the Act 3 bounties
Player D: Tackles the Act 4 bounties

Assuming just for a moment that everyone was super awesome! All the bounties were cleared at the exact same time. It took each player 20 minutes to clear their Act.

In the end, you have each player receiving the rewards for all four Acts (even though they did nothing whatsoever to receive the other rewards*). In a total time of 20 minutes each player gets 4 caches.

*Even if you did one bounty from each Act as the above individual mentioned you are still being rewarded on a far greater scale than what you actually accomplished.

There is some serious mental gymnastics required to justify "same time spent, four times the loot, I CONTRIBUTED".

I know right.

You can put this all to rest very quickly. Would anyone split farm at all, if they could get the rewards for all Acts by merely clearing a single Act solo.

Svafnir

I wish they would have gone further with the Rift stuff and copied the map system of PoE/TL2 where it's possible to pick a stage and mutators.
As it is, I don't see anything that's any different from normal farming? I could be wrong though since I have only done four Rifts so far.

They are updating the rift system in the first major content patch.

Totakeke

The main issue is that some people think that they should put in more effort to get a cache than people did with split farming. It's an odd perception that they demand people be rewarded less.

I just did 2 hours of split farming in very good group and got 2 legendaries in total. Big fucking deal.

with the ridiculous low chance of getting the bounty-leg you want, one has to wonder if splitfarming is the intended method of getting the bounty legs. =)

Radec

They should fix the Kick Player option first.

There are many players who just joins these games and AFK. Slowing everyone down and still ends up with boxes.

Kssio_Aug

The main issue is that some people think that they should put in more effort to get a cache than people did with split farming. It's an odd perception that they demand people be rewarded less.

I just did 2 hours of split farming in very good group and got 2 legendaries in total. Big fucking deal.

Yeah, I dont think split farming is such a problem either. You are "4x times rewarded" but you are only getting chests, and actually losing potential drops at other areas. And also, its 4x efficient, but not free. 4 guys beating a boss would mean 25% of effort each, and everyone get full reward. Split team is the same: 25% to get full reward, just like everything else.

Yeah, I dont think split farming is such a problem either. You are "4x times rewarded" but you are only getting chests, and actually losing potential drops at other areas. And also, its 4x efficient, but not free. 4 guys beating a boss would mean 25% of effort each, and everyone get full reward. Split team is the same: 25% to get full reward, just like everything.

Then why do people do it? If it isn't the most efficient and rewarding way to get gear, why are people doing it?

It isn't the same, I'm sorry it isn't.

A group of 4 players can clear all Acts in what twenty-twenty five minutes max if they are split farming right? You honestly think those same four players would be able to clear all Acts in the same amount of time?

V_Arnold

This is not what is happening here.

Solo game: 1 time the reward
Multiplayer game: 4 time the reward (assuming split farming)
In reality, multiplayer games do NOT offer 4 times the reward, when you actually play together.

Demanding that the 4 times reward gets adjusted BACK to normal levels is not "demanding less loot for split farming", it is wanting less of a magnitude in difference.

No one cares that you just split farmed for 2 hours and "only" got two legendaries in the process. I could counter your point by saying that I had played 4-5 times "2 hours of bounties" in solo in the past week, and had not a single legendary during the process from the reward caches. Zero. So this goes to show how your "big fucking deal", when spread over a month or so, would give a split farmer 100+ legendaries during the coarse of a month, and a few at best when doing things alone.

Yeah, I dont think split farming is such a problem either. You are "4x times rewarded" but you are only getting chests, and actually losing potential drops at other areas. And also, its 4x efficient, but not free. 4 guys beating a boss would mean 25% of effort each, and everyone get full reward. Split team is the same: 25% to get full reward, just like everything else.

No, no, no. Translating this into bosskills would mean you kill Diablo, team member 2 kills Butcher, team member 3 kills Belial, team member 4 kills Azmodan, and you ALL get ALL bosses drops, AT THE SAME TIME!

This is not what is happening at all.

Totakeke

This is not what is happening here.

Solo game: 1 time the reward
Multiplayer game: 4 time the reward (assuming split farming)
In reality, multiplayer games do NOT offer 4 times the reward, when you actually play together.

Demanding that the 4 times reward gets adjusted BACK to normal levels is not "demanding less loot for split farming", it is wanting less of a magnitude in difference.

No one cares that you just split farmed for 2 hours and "only" got two legendaries in the process. I could counter your point by saying that I had played 4-5 times "2 hours of bounties" in solo in the past week, and had not a single legendary during the process from the reward caches. Zero. So this goes to show how your "big fucking deal", when spread over a month or so, would give a split farmer 100+ legendaries during the coarse of a month, and a few at best when doing things alone.

Oh yeah, where's your proof that split farming gives you a lot more rewards than not doing it?

I'm not asking for a dps check or something similar. You guys are going really far to justify split-farming.

The point is that it is not something that requires justification. This isn't a moral issue.

As I stated - I think most people, including myself, agree with you that this isn't a very fun or viable way to farm in the long run. But the game works like this now and people are looking for efficiency, like you say.

What people, including myself, don't agree with you on is that you're using your own values, enforcing them to others, and asking them to justify themselves, in a situation that doesn't warrant it.

So this goes to show how your "big fucking deal", when spread over a month or so, would give a split farmer 100+ legendaries during the coarse of a month, and a few at best when doing things alone.

And what would he do with 100+ bounty-legs? There are 3-4 useful ones ...
you cant even trade them. So whats the point? Most people splitfarm bounties to get some specific leg and then stop.

I've done a fair bit of split farming and actually gotten more legendaries from drops while clearing the bounties than from the actual caches, for whatever that's worth.

V_Arnold

Oh yeah, where's your proof that split farming gives you a lot more rewards than not doing it?

Wow. Here is my mathematical proof.

Start at 0. Let Y time pass. During that time, player A gained N caches, player B/C/D/E did split farms, and gained 4N caches.

As they are opening the caches after Y amount of time passed, for every N cache player A opens, player B/C/D/E is able to open 4N caches. No matter what rate we choose legendary drop rates to be in this experiment, as N goes up to infinity, the rate at which B/C/D/E gains legendaries is going to be higher than the rate of player A's gains.

Kssio_Aug

Then why do people do it? If it isn't the most efficient and rewarding way to get gear, why are people doing it?

It is more efficient. But not because of the split nature itself, but because the game is missing a point: better reward at higher difficulties.

There is no problem on finding efficent ways. The problem is having no options. Split team should reward as much or even less, without being nerfed, as doing group runs at high difficulty.

I mean... I am enjoying a lot RoS, but the reward by difficulty system definitely needs more balance to encourage trying a more challengening way to play.

DSmalls84

Split farming doesn't really bother me, but then again I like efficiency in my Diablo farming. I would be more concerned if there was an economy, but since we can't trade anything it is of little consequence at the moment. I guess the only thing it could possibly hurt would be longevity for some people as they will be geared faster than they normally would.

Moff

are you saying that doing a rift with 4 players is not more efficient than doing it alone?
how much more efficient would you say it is?

Wow. Here is my mathematical proof.

Start at 0. Let Y time pass. During that time, player A gained N caches, player B/C/D/E did split farms, and gained 4N caches.

As they are opening the caches after Y amount of time passed, for every N cache player A opens, player B/C/D/E is able to open 4N caches. No matter what rate we choose legendary drop rates to be in this experiment, as N goes up to infinity, the rate at which B/C/D/E gains legendaries is going to be higher than the rate of player A's gains.

But if all players go through the acts together wont they finish them quicker than if one does it alone?

GorillaJu

Played all night pretty much with shit luck on drops but this made it all worth it.

Damage could be higher but the rest is solid. It makes up for the horrifying Mortal Drama roll I got the other day (no primary stats, no crit stats, no socket, +poison dmg).

True but Blizzard should strive to even out the risk-reward balance as much as possible. If some people want to do mind numbing repetitive runs to get a reward that's 5% more efficient than playing rifts on an appropriate difficulty and challenging yourself, then that's fine. It's when the risk-reward is completely out of whack that you start to have problems.

V_Arnold

are you saying that doing a rift with 4 players is not more efficient than doing it alone?
how much more efficient would you say it is?

With the MF find nerfs, I would say it is between 1,5 and 2,5, but I am talking out of my ass regarding ROS numbers. It felt that way back in the MP/multi days.

If rifts would be 4 times more efficient, it would be like people all doing different rifts and gaining all 4 bosses rewards at the same time.

But if all players go through the acts together wont they finish them quicker than if one does it alone?

In normal, mobs die quickly even with the hp multipliers. Players are way overgeared for this at this point.

The point is that it is not something that requires justification. This isn't a moral issue.

As I stated - I think most people, including myself, agree with you that this isn't a very fun or viable way to farm in the long run. But the game works like this now and people are looking for efficiency, like you say.

What people, including myself, don't agree with you on is that you're using your own values, enforcing them to others, and asking them to justify themselves, in a situation that doesn't warrant it.

As I have already stated, I screwed up when I first brought this discussion up. Again, I fully apologize for that. I'm not asking for justification or moral reasoning. What we are discussing here is game design and whether or not split-farming should or should not be in the game. Numerous people that I have talked to do not think it is a big deal and that it should not be nerfed. This is rather apparent here, what I would like to understand is how people think split-farming is conducive to the game. Additionally, people are seemingly stating that it does not offer an advantage at all. Which I find to be rather peculiar.

Why are people playing wizards?

Personally, it is the first class that I got to 60 and the only class that I really know how to play. They are OP compared to other classes though, care to answer my question now?

^ people don't necessarily think it's conducive to the game, you're operating under an assumption that you've projected on everyone else. People probably split farm because it's conducive to their goals of reaching 1m DPS, or being stronger than their friends, collecting item sets, or whatever. No one in their right mind says "I'm going to split far because it's good for Diablo 3!"

Fair point.

Kosma

Banned
I hit a wall already on my barb. 250k dps 600k hp.

Dont seem to get any upgrades in hours of play. I thought loot 2.0 would fix this.

Think its time to focus on other chars or other games.

GorillaJu

^ people don't necessarily think it's conducive to the game, you're operating under an assumption that you've projected on everyone else. People probably split farm because it's conducive to their goals of reaching 1m DPS, or being stronger than their friends, collecting item sets, or whatever. No one in their right mind says "I'm going to split far because it's good for Diablo 3!"

Moff

With the MF find nerfs, I would say it is between 1,5 and 2,5, but I am talking out of my ass regarding ROS numbers. It felt that way back in the MP/multi days.

If rifts would be 4 times more efficient, it would be like people all doing different rifts and gaining all 4 bosses rewards at the same time.

I think your guess is not bad

but split farming is not 4 times as efficient as doing bounties solo. the horadric chests are only a small bonus compared to to drops you have when doing the bounties.

what does a horadric chest equal to, 2 or 3 elite pack drops? how many elites do you kill doing 5 bounties?
I think the overall efficiency bonus for doint a split bounty run would be about the same as a 4 player rift run, which I'd place like you at about 2 or 2.5

to me its absolutely clear that you dont get anything "free" with split bounties, surely there is a bonus for doing things in a game with 3 other players, but its the same with doing rifts, boss runs or whatever, in a group.

Kosma

Banned

but split farming is not 4 times as efficient as doing bounties solo. the horadric chests are only a small bonus compared to to drops you have when doing the bounties.

what does a horadric chest equal to, 2 or 3 elite pack drops? how many elites do you kill doing 5 bounties?
I think the overall efficiency bonus for doint a split bounty run would be about the same as a 4 player rift run, which I'd place like you at about 2 or 2.5

to me its absolutely clear that you dont get anything "free" with split bounties, surely there is a bonus for doing things in a game with 3 other players, but its the same with doing rifts, boss runs or whatever, in a group.

You dont really need to kill packs to do bounties on normal though, you just run past them to your goal.

Kssio_Aug

Lets say that Split Farming give me in a run 5 chests in at about 40-50 minutes in a full party. I open them and I get 0 to 2 legs. I am basing it at what happened to me. So... is it really THAT much? Its not a game breaker at all! I am tempetd to say that chest farming gives a much bigger chance.

However.... doing group runs at challengening difficulties will probably give you less! And thats the problem.

V_Arnold

If Caches would not have a ~10% chance of dropping a legendary, I would have no issue with this. The fact that the developers overlooked this IS maddening, though.

Moff

You dont really need to kill packs to do bounties on normal though, you just run past them to your goal.

that is possible, but would be foolish and incredibly inefficient.
people here seem to think every other horadric cache drops legs, but in reality I have opened several tiems 15+ caches at once with no leg at all. you need to kill monsters, destroy destructibles and open chests to be effective.

As I have already stated, I screwed up when I first brought this discussion up. Again, I fully apologize for that. I'm not asking for justification or moral reasoning. What we are discussing here is game design and whether or not split-farming should or should not be in the game. Numerous people that I have talked to do not think it is a big deal and that it should not be nerfed. This is rather apparent here, what I would like to understand is how people think split-farming is conducive to the game. Additionally, people are seemingly stating that it does not offer an advantage at all. Which I find to be rather peculiar.

Now we're on the same page. I do split bounties. I don't think it's a fun/good way of getting legendaries. I don't think it should be in the game and I think it will be nerfed. However, until Blizzard removes it or offer a more rewarding way to get legendaries - I will keep doing it when I feel like it.

It does offer an advantage in number of caches compared to solo or 4 people playing conjoined at the hip, yes. However it gives an advantage in terms of legendaries over time compared to T1 bounties or rifts - no one knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom