• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

I think your guess is not bad

but split farming is not 4 times as efficient as doing bounties solo. the horadric chests are only a small bonus compared to to drops you have when doing the bounties.

what does a horadric chest equal to, 2 or 3 elite pack drops? how many elites do you kill doing 5 bounties?
I think the overall efficiency bonus for doint a split bounty run would be about the same as a 4 player rift run, which I'd place like you at about 2 or 2.5

to me its absolutely clear that you dont get anything "free" with split bounties, surely there is a bonus for doing things in a game with 3 other players, but its the same with doing rifts, boss runs or whatever, in a group.

Your math is off. the time it takes to run one bounty on normal isn't affected by the number of players. I can solo clear the bounty in the same time my full group can because the monsters are so weak that the only element of effort is the time it takes to get from mission start to mission complete.

Instead of inputting clear time and outputting drops earned during bounty + 1 cache, you're inputting the same clear time and outputting drops +1 +1 +1. It is clearly the most efficient way to use 4 people and completely evades the difficulty vs reward system that most games use as a basis for giving players a sense of achievement.

Blizzard just needs to make it so that only 1 bounty can be active at a time, and if you complete the reward before activating The next bounty, that bounty is removed from the reward pool and you can't get q cache for it. It wouldn't make it impossible to duck the system and do things like have one person wait at the cursed chest or event or whatever but it would at least discourage people by being a pain in the ass to do.

If Caches would not have a ~10% chance of dropping a legendary, I would have no issue with this. The fact that the developers overlooked this IS maddening, though.

They attempted to fix split farming in Beta, I'm not sure why it did not make it live. If I had to make a guess it deals with the problems that occured when they tried to address it; namely, how it screwed up the drop in/out gameplay that they are pushing. They want people to be able to join a game at whatever point and not feel like they are wasting their time.

From Beta:

On the topic of split farming, this is very clearly not how we want players to play the game. We know of the problems it causes as well as the reasons its occurring and are actively discussing ways to address the problem. While we love coop and we want players to enjoy playing the game together, the right answer should obviously not be "Lets play coop and all go solo in the game!"

Players no longer receive rewards for a bounty if they are not in the same level area as the bounty as it is being completed. This is part of our solution regarding the concern of "split farming" bounties. Please note that we are still exploring other options. Players now need to be within 100 yards of each other in order to benefit from the Strength in Numbers buff.

But the drops on Normal aren't really good as far as I see.

Normal drops are the exact same as Torment drops outside of Torment only items. IF you are not after those particular Torment only drops, there is zero reason to run Torment. Unless of course you are after XP or just enjoy the challenge.

V_Arnold

that is possible, but would be foolish and incredibly inefficient.
people here seem to think every other horadric cache drops legs, but in reality I have opened several tiems 15+ caches at once with no leg at all. you need to kill monsters, destroy destructibles and open chests to be effective.

That is the nature of RNG, but it converges to the assumed 10 percent changes over a long period of time. The 10 percent chance stands. That does not mean that it is impossible to open 30 caches and find zero legendaries.

(Also, LEGS? Fuck, those are leggings. I thought I have gone crazy when people kept talking about leg drops. Do not we have enough leggings in the game, I thought :D)

DSmalls84

My lucky streak for enchanting ended last night :(. Rolled 7 times on a legendary Flail for a socket and came up short every time. Previously rolled 10 CC on gloves and 92 CD on an ammy in one roll. Sigh, all those wasted forgotten souls.

Anyone have any experience with the "Sky Splitter" Legendary axe? I lose 6% damage from my other weapon, but gain 14% chance to "Smite" enemies when i hit them. From what i can tell a lightning bolt comes down but not sure what it does.

evilalien

Anyone have any experience with the "Sky Splitter" Legendary axe? I lose 6% damage from my other weapon, but gain 14% chance to "Smite" enemies when i hit them. From what i can tell a lightning bolt comes down but not sure what it does.

It does a ton of damage and stuns for a short while from what I recall. When I was using a level 60 version, it was easily hitting for several times my Thunderfury proc though it is single target. I still found it quite useful.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Normal drops are the exact same as Torment drops outside of Torment only items. IF you are not after those particular Torment only drops, there is zero reason to run Torment. Unless of course you are after XP or just enjoy the challenge.

I guess thats why I prefer to play "normally" in the highest difficulty I can handle (currently Master, Torment 1 is still too dicey and time consuming), I am after XP and I do enjoy the challenge. Although speed runs can be fun in their own way now and then, but I get bored quickly doing just speed runs on normal. No challenge or fun whatsoever.

As somebody who has played the game solo for the most part can somebody clear something up for me?

Lets say I was in a game and was split farming. Do items for me still drop in the other zones that other players are clearing? If after my bounty I quickly checked all the other bounty zones in act 1 for legendaries on the mini map would I eventually get any?

Because I could see the above being an issue even at higher difficulties and it doesn't even have to be in an adventure mode game to occur. Also I hope the 'fix' that eventually happens to split bounties doesn't cripple solo players. Something like a 3 minute cooldown between each bounty completion would probably do the trick.

Dark_castle

Why the fuck am I keep getting Flavor of Time, Eternal Union and Solanium and bunch of crappy legs
1222234_o.gif

Kacho

As somebody who has played the game solo for the most part can somebody clear something up for me?

Lets say I was in a game and was split farming. Do items for me still drop in the other zones that other players are clearing? If after my bounty I quickly checked all the other bounty zones in act 1 for legendaries on the mini map would I eventually get any?

Because I could see the above being an issue even at higher difficulties and it doesn't even have to be in an adventure mode game to occur. Also I hope the 'fix' that eventually happens to split bounties doesn't cripple solo players. Something like a 3 minute cooldown between each bounty completion would probably do the trick.

Negative.

Thanks for the replies, the Sky Splitter seems to be pretty useful. I've had a "Haunt of Vaxos" amulet in my stash for a while that summons shadow clones of myself for 15 seconds every time i stun an enemy that I had never used. Between the two items i lose 15% of my damage but it's fun to experiment around with nonetheless.

If it hadn't just found a "Monster Hunter" sword with 34% crit damage i might've actually stuck with it.

There is some serious mental gymnastics required to justify "same time spent, four times the loot, I CONTRIBUTED".
Similarly there are some serious mental gymnastics required to justify "people aren't playing the game the way I prefer to play it, which is the correct way, even though it has never been explicitly stated as thus".

Some people prefer to split-farm solely for the purpose of getting caches which can decrease the potential pool of legendaries you can get but ultimately provides you with a lot of loot fast, people prefer to play it solo and enjoy the extra benefits that come with all the elites/champs/purples/chests that you would encounter doing it that way but doesn't provide the same immediate quantity of loot that split-farming does.

Who cares what way you want to play it? It is, however, a dick move to sit and berate people for playing it one way over the other, just because you've somehow convinced yourself that you're playing a game more honestly than someone else.

Moff

Your math is off. the time it takes to run one bounty on normal isn't affected by the number of players. I can solo clear the bounty in the same time my full group can because the monsters are so weak that the only element of effort is the time it takes to get from mission start to mission complete.
I am aware of that, BUT what people are forgetting is that a 4 player torment 3 run is faster than a 1 player torment 1 run, too, including much higher magic find. you are supposed to be more efficient in a game with more players, that ok, its not "getting loot for free"

Instead of inputting clear time and outputting drops earned during bounty + 1 cache, you're inputting the same clear time and outputting drops +1 +1 +1. It is clearly the most efficient way to use 4 people and completely evades the difficulty vs reward system that most games use as a basis for giving players a sense of achievement.

I'm not so sure if its the most efficient way, in my personal experience I think 4 player torment 3+ rift runs are at least as effective as bount split runs on normal. of course if there is a huge difference, and thats a big IF, blizzard needs to correct this, preferrably by raising the magic find bonus for torment and group boni.

That is the nature of RNG, but it converges to the assumed 10 percent changes over a long period of time. The 10 percent chance stands. That does not mean that it is impossible to open 30 caches and find zero legendaries.

even with the fix 10% chance, I still think the caches are only a small bonus compared to the loot you find while actually doing the bounties. at least in my exerpience. 10% chance equals to roughly 1 leg for 10 caches, wich means 2 full games cleared. how much time do 2 games take if you only rush to the bounties and kill no other monsters, 40 to 60 mins?
would you say that, if you do a torment 3+ run with 4 palyers, 1 leg ever 40 to 60minutes is unrealistic? not in my experience.

now if that is generally not true, blizzard needs to adjust this, see above.
but I would be sad if that diversity, that bounty split runs offer would disappear.
I think its balanced and, just to say it again, you dont certainly get anything for free.

garath

Last night was super good to me. Like 5 legendaries, including a Flint ripper quiver with a 20% attack speed bonus. Re-rolled the resource cost reduction into 10% crit on second try. Excellent.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/garath-1132/hero/40752152

Unfortunately it had companion damage that I couldn't reroll as a result. So I guess I'll try companion instead of sentry for a bit. I tried it for a short time with the wolf companion. That damage buff with cluster arrows, mark and ambush is like WHOA. I took the first 30% off siegebreaker in T1 in about 5 seconds.

Any other companions worth trying?

I can officially say I stomp T1 now. Nothing poses a threat and I melt everything. I have 610k sheet dps, 5 mil toughness (was 5.5 mil but I found a nice belt with 14% grendade damage last night right before bed.. going to try that out today).

Probably going to kick it up to T2 tonight and see if I can keep the bounty pace up. Still looking for a better bow, 2 new rings and maybe eventually replace my level 60 godly amulet lol (94% crit damage, 10% crit chance)

Kssio_Aug

Lets say that Split Farming give me in a run 5 chests in at about 40-50 minutes in a full party. I open them and I get 0 to 2 legs. I am basing it at what happened to me. So... is it really THAT much? Its not a game breaker at all! I am tempetd to say that chest farming gives a much bigger chance.

However.... doing group runs at challengening difficulties will probably give you less! And thats the problem.

(Also, LEGS? Fuck, those are leggings. I thought I have gone crazy when people kept talking about leg drops. Do not we have enough leggings in the game, I thought :D)

But as I said, open caches is not that super good to obtain legs. Is it efficient? I'd say yes (otherwise I would not do it), but I cant even say for sure that it is definitely most efficient then doing t1 rifts runs with a nice group.
I read many people here saying that they "make it rain" with no luck of getting any leg. And that happened to me also! Theres no big deal against Split Farming that deserves to be nerfed. That wouldnt change much of anything but disturb those who are having fun doing it.

scy

Me and a friend do A1/A2 bounties separately on Torment 1 because we do those individually faster than we do Torment 2 together. The amount of time saved doing both Acts simultaneously is greater than the time saved plowing through the same bounty faster. In terms of min/max efficiency, which is king for these kind of runs, it's essentially a no brainer to be done. And since the goal is getting the cache Legendaries, the missed drops isn't a big deal (and/or just viewed as the same "lost opportunity" as not full clearing every zone for every chance of a drop).

As far as the "ethics" of it, it's a pretty fair case of just abusing the fact that bounties have leeway in getting the turn-in to promote people just joining games mid-runs and not missing out on loot. I'm not really sure if there's a fair fix to this that doesn't impede on normal players so there's probably a need on fixing other areas of the game instead. Though I'm tired at the moment and can't think of specifics to be done short of "greater incentive to playing together."

I am aware of that, BUT what people are forgetting is that a 4 player torment 3 run is faster than a 1 player torment 1 run, too, including much higher magic find.

I think part of the problem is that the MF for group clearing doesn't feel worth it. Rifts have room for improvement in terms of drop rate / loot feedback.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
How are you guys screencapping your drops? Does D3 have any built in screencap function?

Yes, printscreen/SysRq key dumps a shot into your D3 directory. Then you just gotta open it in your program of choice and crop the legendary sheet.

Bizazedo

So, the Rhen'Lo Flayer item for Witch Doctors. Frogs explode twice.

I don't think I see my Addling Frogs explode twice, is this bugged or do they? It seems like a ridiculously good item if it works as it'd essentially double the damage of each frog....I just am curious if it really works or if I wasted Souls getting a socket on this bad boy.

Tom Penny

I got all 2 handers yesterday and wasted so many mats trying to roll crit chance on a helm. It's hilarious that I'm using and old Thunder Fury even though it's 200k less DPS than my other weapon but still clears faster. I need a new one !!!

I also got a few good plans but apparently they require some angelic shards that never drop. I wish I could upgrade my crappy weapons that way :(

Taz

This guy is doing the run right now if you want to know what to do
Basically just put it on t6 and run and get chests. Having tried it for a bit I don't think it's really worth it. I've gotten better results in adventure mode/rifts

http://www.twitch.tv/mufasaprime

I tried it for a few hours so that RNG had a chance to blance it's self and you get on average 3 to 7 an hour so it's defo worth it , I got about 28 in 4 to 5 hours, the problem with the run is you get legendary s and nothing else, so if your at a point were that's all your after then its gonna get you a lot in your play time .

Kacho

Holy shit that Burst of Wrath. Act 3 caches, huh? Welp. I know what I'll be doing forever until I find one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom