• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

I might be biased but I don't think wizards are OP. They're just very versatile. Though they do have lot of skills to reduce their squishiness.

I do think the othre classes need to be buffed instead. I'd love to play on my monk but it's harder to get him to the point where I'm having as much fun as I do on my wizard.

The biggest thing is that Wizard has a leg up on getting to a good amount of Damage since they have so many sources of +Damage%. And then they have really good build diversity to take advantage of various +Elemental% drops.

You'd deal more damage. (100% - 10%) * (100% + 20%) = (90%) * (120%) = 108%.

Edit: Of course, if you have other multipliers it gets awkward but eh, there's the logic of it.

You do 10% less then 20% more to that. 100k reduced to 90k increased finally to 108k. Highly simplified here though.

From what Ive read and seen, the + bonus to fire skills is added to the skills percent, not overall damage. A fire skill that does 500% with a 20% will be 600% damage now. Instead of adding a 20% bonus to the pre damage calculation. This is more effective than an overall bonus to the pre damage calc. Blizz's bonus damage is all over the place right now. I almost done fixing my damage calculator.

Any suggestions for my Monk?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/NineLives-1662/hero/40906491

My off-hand is actually like 1900 DPS, Holy damage..dunno why the profile is saying otherwise. Also, I'm looking now and a ton of my rerolls aren't showing up either...wtf. Hell my Toughness in game is like 4-5m...

Rerolls don't show up. It's really annoying. I think OWE is really powerful now since secondary resists roll higher than allres. It's worth considering, but I can understand if you don't want to give up the passive slot. What is your allres at?

Nice puzzle ring. Your amulet doesn't look great. Jealous of your 18% chance to smite. I'm only at 10%.

I might be biased but I don't think wizards are OP. They're just very versatile. Though they do have lot of skills to reduce their squishiness.

I do think the othre classes need to be buffed instead. I'd love to play on my monk but it's harder to get him to the point where I'm having as much fun as I do on my wizard.

Monks are in a good place. Join us!

Picked up some Irontoe Mudsputters on my Crusader and was pleasantly surprised to see that they let you go past 10% speed with heavenly strength equipped.

Dahbomb

You can call Wizard OP or you can call every other class under powered...

The fact of the matter is that there is a cavernous gap between Wizards and other classes.

Historically speaking... pretty much every other game company in charge of balance would rather change one class/character than change everything else. It just makes more sense in terms of resource allocation. It's not about fans crying for nerfs.

I would be perfectly fine with Wizards staying as they are... they allow me to farm in groups faster. I just go in, cast my spells, put on EP on a few mobs and the Wizards clean up the rest. I appreciate their high DPS just as they appreciate my tankability and EP tags.

aka_bueno

I think I want to level my Witch Doctor to 70 now, he's 60 currently. Will be nice to have 2 70's (my other is Barbarian).

Anywho, I haven't played him since vanilla D3. And he's currently using Darts/Frogs combo. What are some good builds these days, hopefully something fun and different than my Darts/Frogs, anyone?

ferr

From what Ive read and seen, the + bonus to fire skills is added to the skills percent, not overall damage. A fire skill that does 500% with a 20% will be 600% damage now. Instead of adding a 20% bonus to the pre damage calculation. This is more effective than an overall bonus to the pre damage calc. Blizz's bonus damage is all over the place right now. I almost done fixing my damage calculator.

Not too sure on what the difference is in your way of calculating vs ours. 600% dmg from 500% damage is +20% on the overall damage. Right? i.e. your fire skill dealt a 1M damage before, now it deals 1.2M from the 20% bonus.

Any suggestions for my Monk?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/NineLives-1662/hero/40906491

My off-hand is actually like 1900 DPS, Holy damage..dunno why the profile is saying otherwise. Also, I'm looking now and a ton of my rerolls aren't showing up either...wtf. Hell my Toughness in game is like 4-5m...

I think you can get more dodge from the passive that gives an increase based on your CC. Don't remember the name currently.

Yeah the profiles are all jacked and don't show rerolls. Hopefully they fix that soon.

Also I wouldn't be doing my monkly deed I'd I wasn't suggesting you explore Exploding Palm.

I plead and courage everyone to experiment and make up your own builds. The game is fantastic when you stop copy-pasting the same builds from around the internet. I get more excited about trying to make a build work than it's absolute efficiency.

Tom Penny

Monks would be better if FOT didn't suck so bad and the other skills had more elements instead of physical. If you want to stack lighting there is only FOT which stinks then deadly reach, and crippling wave..one rune each and cyclone one rune. That's out of tons of skills. Same with fire, holy, cold etc... They need more runes to diversify and increase damage output based on elemental modifiers. I might feel different if my Thunderfury and Shard of Hate drop. Make it happen Blizzard !!!

On a side note Mathael is designed basically anti melee...

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I plead and courage everyone to experiment and make up your own builds. The game is fantastic when you stop copy-pasting the same builds from around the internet. I get more excited about trying to make a build work than it's absolute efficiency.

I don't know how efficient this build is in higher difficulties, but since i got a chest that improve fire damage and reduce fire spells cost, i use a fire build for my wizard with the fire version of Black Hole and Meteor Shower(since the Fire version of Arcane Orb kinda sucks). So fun to suck a bunch of monsters together with Black Hole then throwing dozens of meteors on them! I can't see shit on my screen, but who cares? :p

I think you can get more dodge from the passive that gives an increase based on your CC. Don't remember the name currently.

Yeah the profiles are all jacked and don't show rerolls. Hopefully they fix that soon.

Also I wouldn't be doing my monkly deed I'd I wasn't suggesting you explore Exploding Palm.

Equipped a fist of Az last night that gives me 94% of enemy HP on EP explosion:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=106620344&postcount=9496

Cannot wait to try it out tonight.

aka_bueno

I don't know how efficient this build is in higher difficulties, but since i got a chest that improve fire damage and reduce fire spells cost, i use a fire build for my wizard with the fire version of Black Hole and Meteor Shower(since the Fire version of Arcane Orb kinda sucks). So fun to suck a bunch of monsters together with Black Hole then throwing dozens of meteors on them! I can't see shit on my screen, but who cares? :p

Speaking of which, my buddies and I were just discussing how we wish Blizzard implemented like a "Double cursor size" option or something. I often lose my cursor on screen due to all the action. Especially playing as a Barbarian in the middle of all the mobs, then you have all the effects on top of that including other player's spells, ugh.

scy

Yeah, that's probably the easier way to think of it. I was just going about it in a way to show the +/- of the total Damage% number.

ferr

Yeah Cindercoat is the focal point around a lot of the best builds. Good find!

Tom Penny

Sledge fist is amazing. Too bad mine was pre ROS :( I was running that with that helm that also blinds enemies. Stun or blind all day every day. Good times.

That's the one I want to pair with my sledge fist. I would like to replace my WKL. With that leg I can drop the +30 to EP and gear those slots for CS. Then swap skills and become a fire monk.

I would love to go fire. Epiphany-IF and LTK fire are great. I am going back and forth on LTK fire vs stun while I don't have any +fire damage, though.

Edit: why is your WKL offhand? I thought the faster/more DPS weapon should be mainhand? Or does that not matter anymore?

Not too sure on what the difference is in your way of calculating vs ours. 600% dmg from 500% damage is +20% on the overall damage. Right? i.e. your fire skill dealt a 1M damage before, now it deals 1.2M from the 20% bonus.

When I was testing, it was a small difference. I was testing with a lvl 1 bow and using cluster arrow. Adding the 20% to the damage calc give me 35k crits. Adding the 20% to the skill % give me 36k crits. Its small potatoes at that level, but when youre doing millions of damage and adding more bonuses, it does become significant.

Im still in the process if figuring out which bonuses (at least for the DH) are additive and multiplicative. I thought Ambush would give another 40% on top of stead aim/archery for a total bonus of 68%, but its multiplicative, so its 128% * 40% or 79.2% bonus. 11.2% is pretty big. I ran out of time so I was unable to figure out how Stone of Jordan or other + elite damage rolls into the mix. Im also trying to figure out how + ele damage and + skill damage tie together. Im pretty sure they are multiplicative so if I had 50% to one skill and 50% to elemental, it would do 125% more damage, not 100%.

edit: I know im a dork, but I like playing with numbers and seeing how gear affects my numbers exactly. It also gives me something to do at work.

Shouta

I would love to go fire. Epiphany-IF and LTK fire are great. I am going back and forth on LTK fire vs stun while I don't have any +fire damage, though.

Edit: why is your WKL offhand? I thought the faster/more DPS weapon should be mainhand? Or does that not matter anymore?

Pretty sure it never mattered. The damage calc alternates on each swing from what I recall which is why your DPS didn't change when you swapped slots.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I don't see how they can really nerf [chest runs]. Maybe reduce chest/debris drop rates somehow if you're cheesing it? If you haven't killed a T6 elite in your game, chest drop rate = 0% for example.
Two primary ways I can envision off the top of my head -

1) Chests cannot be opened if there are any enemies within X yards of it.
2) Chests have a casting time to be opened, similar to town portal.

Pretty sure it never mattered. The damage calc alternates on each swing from what I recall which is why your DPS didn't change when you swapped slots.

Single use abilities do alternate weapons and their associated attack speed, but channeled/timed abilities (barb Nandos, monk whirl wind, ect) only use the main hand, at least pre RoS, I have not verified since.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Relevant Blue posts for the recent discussion:

Travis Day said:
Lastly on the topic of split farming, this is very clearly not how we want players to play the game. We know of the problems it causes as well as the reasons its occurring and are actively discussing ways to address the problem. While we love coop and we want players to enjoy playing the game together, the right answer should obviously not be "Lets play coop and all go solo in the game!". I'm walking into a meeting as soon as I post this to discuss the issue and possible solutions.
http://www.diablofans.com/news/47917-travis-day-on-legendary-drop-rates

They said they had some additional changes in the works after the last change to split farming (no longer getting bounty completion for the individual bounties when not in the zone). I expect there will be something coming up in the next patch.

Vaneras said:
The CotA runs or Core runs that many people are doing right now is something that we believe to be mostly a temporary thing during this transition period between the expansion pre-patch and the expansion itself. We expect that bounties and rifts will be where people will go to farm gear and XP once Reaper of Souls is out, and if it turns out that this is not the case, well then we will likely step in to change that.
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10033323796#10

Core runs are still the fastest legendaries/hour right now, so it seems likely that they'll have to nerf chests next. (Either that or tie chest rewards to monster kills somehow).

The endgame they have in mind is bounties and rifts, done solo or in traditional groups.

Personally, I'm fine with people doing whatever's most effective. It's up to Blizzard to make sure the most effective playstyles are ones that are fun for the majority of their customers. They developed rifts and bounties with that in mind, and that's why anything that works better is doomed to be nerfed.

Shouta

Single use abilities do alternate weapons and their associated attack speed, but channeled/timed abilities (barb Nandos, monk whirl wind, ect) only use the main hand, at least pre RoS, I have not verified since.

Would make sense if that's the case. Good thing monk only has what, 1 channeled ability (Tempest Rush) and 1 ability that is single each time (Sweeping Wind). =o

I want the proc on the sledge fist to hit more often. At least that was my thinking. It may or may not matter on my slotted hand though.

I remembered sticking the old EF in the offhand was supposed to reduce the fear proc. figured the opposite works here.

Tom Penny

Anybody know the max cool down % you can get with Monk in addition to the 20% with the Ytar passive. If there was a way to run Epiphany LTK every 30 seconds..since it last 15 seconds..you could spam it every 15 seconds and wreck shop..

That's what I was remembering. Not sure if it still matters.

Speaking of Sweeping Wind, it seems like Mythic Rhythm may work with it if you use a spirit gen 3x, then start SW. There is some debate on the Blizz Monk forums, but some people say they have tested and confirmed it.

Kssio_Aug

Great.... the split farm will be nerfed, just as the complainers wanted. :/

Its not a game killer for me, but Im a little disapointed about it and that generic justification. They should balance the reward at higher difficulties and do inprovements to the kick options to avoid leeching, not nerf the bounties for those who are having fun with split farm, since its not that big deal at all.

Core runs are still the fastest legendaries/hour right now, so it seems likely that they'll have to nerf chests next. (Either that or tie chest rewards to monster kills somehow)

Dear Flying Spaghetti Monster don't nerf chests. They did it before and it's the most anti fun and terrible solution to a relatively small problem. I would rather let people run the boring exploit than kill the anticipation of opening chests again.

Hmm got an Azurewrath that was an upgrade. Rolled a socket by default. Still kind of a shitty Azurewrath in the scheme of things, with some low rolls, but the weapon is pretty great regardless.

Kammie

Man, I gotta say... champions/blue mobs just suck. Either they're all chained together or they're spamming laserbeams or fire/poison AOEs everywhere on the screen, and you can't even dodge any of it because so many of the stages are simply cramped. Coming off of PoE, the extreme lack in diversity with what these mobs do is disappointing. Plus, all the mechanics are just plain annoying since you can't even navigate around. :(

1.5 levels away from finally hitting 60 at least.

Will the Paragon stat points affect any low-level alts, or only once they hit 60?

scy

I mean, that post was from like January, wasn't it? The Core runs bit was more recent but hopefully they just make other parts of the game better instead.

Anybody know the max cool down % you can get with Monk in addition to the 20% with the Ytar passive. If there was a way to run Epiphany LTK every 30 seconds..since it last 15 seconds..you could spam it every 15 seconds and wreck shop..

Depends on how much you're willing to sacrifice, I imagine. It also faces some diminishing returns so you're really pushing things trying to get it to 50% from gear alone. 75% CDR may not be realistic but if you're willing to use Ytar, you can at least do 20% Ytar, 12.5% Helm, 10% Paragon, 7% Shoulders for around 45%.

Find the plan for Corruption and then craft it.

j-wood

I came up with an awesome build for my wizard. It's so fun to play I figured I'd share:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UcgkNS!fRid!YcYZbZ

Basically, elemental exposure gives you 3 stacks of 5% increased damage from lightning, arcane, cold. When you cast your duplicates, they all cast slow time. So you have 5 bubbles that stun enemies as they move. Then the duplicates can cast black hole and frozen orb.

5 black holes making enemies bounce around while being hit by a ton of frozen orbs, everything just melts.

ferr

When I was testing, it was a small difference. I was testing with a lvl 1 bow and using cluster arrow. Adding the 20% to the damage calc give me 35k crits. Adding the 20% to the skill % give me 36k crits. Its small potatoes at that level, but when youre doing millions of damage and adding more bonuses, it does become significant.

Im still in the process if figuring out which bonuses (at least for the DH) are additive and multiplicative. I thought Ambush would give another 40% on top of stead aim/archery for a total bonus of 68%, but its multiplicative, so its 128% * 40% or 79.2% bonus. 11.2% is pretty big. I ran out of time so I was unable to figure out how Stone of Jordan or other + elite damage rolls into the mix. Im also trying to figure out how + ele damage and + skill damage tie together. Im pretty sure they are multiplicative so if I had 50% to one skill and 50% to elemental, it would do 125% more damage, not 100%.

edit: I know im a dork, but I like playing with numbers and seeing how gear affects my numbers exactly. It also gives me something to do at work.

i know how it feels, i'm with you on that.

cluster arrow is an interesting one to experiment with because it has additional grenade damage. but i think all you see visually is the dmg from the initial explosion, not sure. did you have min dmg = max dmg in your testing to remove variations in damage?

scy

Or they could just reduce the number of chests in that area instead of actually nerfing chests, lol.

But making the rest of the game better is ... well, better. I mean, wouldn't the next step be to find the next best area for just popping chests? It's a band-aid fix to just alter Core.

Kssio_Aug

I came up with an awesome build for my wizard. It's so fun to play I figured I'd share:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UcgkNS!fRid!YcYZbZ

Basically, elemental exposure gives you 3 stacks of 5% increased damage from lightning, arcane, cold. When you cast your duplicates, they all cast slow time. So you have 5 bubbles that stun enemies as they move. Then the duplicates can cast black hole and frozen orb.

5 black holes making enemies bounce around while being hit by a ton of frozen orbs, everything just melts.

I was using a very similar build! But actually I am looking for another one, without frozen orb, since I believe it will be nerfed soon! :( Besides sometimes I believe that Frozen Orb will always have its place in my heart, even after nerferd... I cant find anything to substitute it and feels good or fast enough.

Tom Penny

Depends on how much you're willing to sacrifice, I imagine. It also faces some diminishing returns so you're really pushing things trying to get it to 50% from gear alone. 75% CDR may not be realistic but if you're willing to use Ytar, you can at least do 20% Ytar, 12.5% Helm, 10% Paragon, 7% Shoulders for around 45%.

Might enchant a rare helm and shoulders and mess with this along with Paragon to see how long it takes. May be worth it. It so powerful even with my horrible weapons and DPS right now.

I did this. It's not worth it. My T3 capable monk was squishy at T1.

Fixing the chest run problem could be done in any number of hidden and sensible ways. The one that wouldn't ruin the NORMAL flow of the game would just be to require you to kill enemies every now and then.

Cheat drop rate = 0
Kill some enemies. Cheat drop rate = normal

This would make the T6 runs impossible for me since I actually take about 2 minutes to kill a normal spider in CoA with my chest running set\build. I'd go back to playing the game the way I used to. And I'd feel happy knowing that I'm not missing out on legendaries by playing the game in a very boring way AND chests still function as they normally do.

Shifty76

Monks would be better if FOT didn't suck so bad and the other skills had more elements instead of physical. If you want to stack lighting there is only FOT which stinks then deadly reach, and crippling wave..one rune each and cyclone one rune. That's out of tons of skills. Same with fire, holy, cold etc... They need more runes to diversify and increase damage output based on elemental modifiers. I might feel different if my Thunderfury and Shard of Hate drop. Make it happen Blizzard !!!

On a side note Mathael is designed basically anti melee...

IIRC you need over +100% lightning skill dmg for the best lightning generator to outdamage FoF. FoT is so far behind you'd likely need closer to 200%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom