• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Thinking of starting a Crusader from scratch, but I really want to see that new act. Decisions, decisions.

I'm going to clear a5 with my Wizard and then level my Crusader in Adventure Mode.

So what's everyone's plan with the new content? Going to level a crusader and go through the whole game again or continue with the new content with an existing character?

Clear Act V with my wizard, then probably screw around in Adventure Mode for a bit with any of my existing characters or a crusader.

So I was looking through the Crusader skills and found the Zeal rune for Slash. 1 percent attack speed per hit stacked 5 times? Good god, that sucks. OG zeal was what, 500 percent attack speed (5 swings in 1)? I mean, I know they're going a different route in D3, but come on.

Firemind

So I was looking through the Crusader skills and found the Zeal rune for Slash. 1 percent attack speed per hit stacked 5 times? Good god, that sucks. OG zeal was what, 500 percent attack speed (5 swings in 1)? I mean, I know they're going a different route in D3, but come on.

Yep. RIP Zealots

so nobody else wants to hear all the new NPC and follower interactions with the crusader from act 1 through 4? :-/ I've been looking forward to it /shrug

TheYanger

EU? Because NA Cata launch was a catastrophe, no pun intended. Servers falling over for several hours, then hour long queues, occasional server crashes. Granted, they launched it at like 2am, so most people in EST could sleep through the troubles... which might be why some people didn't notice them.

But to their credit, after a few days it's pretty smooth sailing. Same with D3 and SCII, it only took a week or two before most of the major troubles went away after launch.

Um. what? I literally logged out and logged back in, NA here. So did the rest of my guild. There were queues the next afternoon at primetime, but not too bad. Mists? you didn't even have to log out, it just 'turned on' and you went, same as RoS is going to do.

I'm torn between doing A5 with my Barb first or just rolling Crusader straight away. I haven't watched any of the vanilla cutscenes since launch so it might be nice to just do a solid runthrough.

Begaria

Yeesh. The Barbarian Frenzy skill is overpowered compared to that. It's 15% attack speed for Frenzy for each stack, stacking 5 times. That's a 75% attack speed increase for that skill.

RangerX

Banned
Will I be able to level my crusader in adventure mode from the get go or will I have to go through the campaign again?

FanaZeal combo was my thing back then. :(

I Bet the Hammers are going to suck...

Yup. I was also recently watching that Blizzard presentation of the Crusader skills. One of the dudes goes "Hey, you guys remember zeal?" *crowd roars with excitement* "Well that doesn't work the way we did skills this time cause blah blah fuckin blah". Seriously Blizzard? I mean, way of a hundred fists is like 10 hits, why can't you do 5?

Yeesh. The Barbarian Frenzy skill is overpowered compared to that. It's 15% attack speed for Frenzy for each stack, stacking 5 times. That's a 75% attack speed increase for that skill.

And frenzy still ain't that damn good.

Really? This sounds good to me. It's not like you can't stack AS with your other items. Currently on my Wiz I have 2.1 attacks per second.

Like Begaria said above, frenzy has a much better attack speed buff (although it isn't area of effect), and the monk also has a Way of a Hundred Fists rune that has 5 percent attack speed and movement speed that can be stacked 3 times (so 15%).

Really? This sounds good to me. It's not like you can't stack AS with your other items. Currently on my Wiz I have 2.1 attacks per second.

Will I be able to level my crusader in adventure mode from the get go or will I have to go through the campaign again?

Last I heard, you only can do Adventure mode in acts that you have completed on campaign. You do get all of the followers without unlocking them via campaign, though.

Um. what? I literally logged out and logged back in, NA here. So did the rest of my guild. There were queues the next afternoon at primetime, but not too bad. Mists? you didn't even have to log out, it just 'turned on' and you went, same as RoS is going to do.

Well, I wasn't that lucky then. I'm glad others had zero issues, but that doesn't change that my Cata launch wasn't smooth and without error. There were issues, there were server crashes and rollbacks. I'm not saying this to insult the game or Blizzard, just highlighting that my experience with Blizzard's xpac launches haven't been as stellar as people make them out to be. That's the idiosyncratic nature of gaming for you. Your guildies had no issues, my guildies did. Anecdotal works both ways.

But anyway, enough about WoW and stuff.

Dahbomb

They don't want anything too OP in D3 unfortunately. They nerf anything with swift justice.

Also Crusader doesn't appear to be an all in melee class. Yeah you can have him play as a melee but he's more of a control/nuke type character. His Wrath generators aren't all that and he doesn't get big benefits from using 2 1Hs... his best combination is 2H plus a shield with the passive meaning his attack speed is slow most of the time.

Plus the tooltip said that Crusader doesn't get the 30% damage reduction that the other melee class gets. I don't know if it's true or not but if it's true there is no way I am playing him as a proper melee... he would get destroyed.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Plus the tooltip said that Crusader doesn't get the 30% damage reduction that the other melee class gets. I don't know if it's true or not but if it's true there is no way I am playing him as a proper melee... he would get destroyed.

Crusader shields make up the difference.

Wallach

Yup. I was also recently watching that Blizzard presentation of the Crusader skills. One of the dudes goes "Hey, you guys remember zeal?" *crowd roars with excitement* "Well that doesn't work the way we did skills this time cause blah blah fuckin blah". Seriously Blizzard? I mean, way of a hundred fists is like 10 hits, why can't you do 5?

Wait, what was their actual reasoning? I figured they'd bring it over and make it work like they did with Strafe.

I'm thinking, get my monk to 70 to unlock adventure mode and then start burning through crusader levels. Maybe get both my WD's to 70 too after that. I might hold on on my WD's for a little though. Not sure.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
FanaZeal combo was my thing back then. :(

I Bet the Hammers are going to suck...

I know that Blessed Hammer is super popular with most of the D2 crowd, but I was never really a fan of it. I much preferred to play my paladins with a more melee focus, like zeal. Hammers just seemed boring to me in comparison.

I know that Blessed Hammer is super popular with most of the D2 crowd, but I was never really a fan of it. I much preferred to play my paladins with a more melee focus, like zeal. Hammers just seemed boring to me in comparison.

Yeah. I tried the hammer build, and I wasn't even sure I was doing it properly at first. It sure was powerful, though. Just not very satisfying, imo.

Svafnir

What were the rift keystone drop rates like in beta? Are they rare, or something I could do for 4 hours straight?

They are guaranteed drops for completing bounties. The second, third, fouth and fifth bounty in every act drops one.

The first one does not, to stop people from remaking games constantly to do the fastest 1 bounty they can find.

Most bounties can be finished in under a few minutes.

Struct09

Fired up Diablo 3 after not playing it for over a year, and damn has it become even more fun. Was going to wait for the PS4 version of D3 + Reaper, but I went ahead and preordered the expansion for PC. Can't wait!

Firemind

They don't want anything too OP in D3 unfortunately. They nerf anything with swift justice.

Also Crusader doesn't appear to be an all in melee class. Yeah you can have him play as a melee but he's more of a control/nuke type character. His Wrath generators aren't all that and he doesn't get big benefits from using 2 1Hs... his best combination is 2H plus a shield with the passive meaning his attack speed is slow most of the time.

Auradins weren't all-in melee builds. They had excellent crowd control and range on top of the blistering attack speed.

I was particularly fond of the Avenger build, but even that didn't make it in RoS. :/

Wait, what was their actual reasoning? I figured they'd bring it over and make it work like they did with Strafe.

Just watched it again. The designer said it was because in Diablo 2 you pretty much only had 2 active skills and zeal does too much for one skill or something. Honestly, it sounds like a shitty excuse to me, but I'm just bitter about it.

Here's the part where he talks about it: Zeal no worky

Nokterian

New Blizzard video with quick looks on each new feature, skill and zone we get on 2.0/RoS, including Blessed Hammer killing things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juT-1ew-ffc

Goddamn this game is going to be the end of me. The new game director knows his stuff!

tumblr_m5n3muDJAb1qfi7g6_large.gif

tumblr_m5n3muDJAb1qfi7g6_large.gif

TheYanger

Well, I wasn't that lucky then. I'm glad others had zero issues, but that doesn't change that my Cata launch wasn't smooth and without error. There were issues, there were server crashes and rollbacks. I'm not saying this to insult the game or Blizzard, just highlighting that my experience with Blizzard's xpac launches haven't been as stellar as people make them out to be. That's the idiosyncratic nature of gaming for you. Your guildies had no issues, my guildies did. Anecdotal works both ways.

But anyway, enough about WoW and stuff.

Not talking about anecdotal, googling launch issues confirms it was generally considered quite smooth. At worst there was probably an issue with your specific server, but login worked well and that's typically the point of failure with these things. Which is of course one of the reasons the game just turning on while we're already logged in is a HUGE help on Blizz' end, since it doean't mean login gets all of the load first. Sure, it'll still be heavier than normal, but when the most devoted fans have already bypassed authentication hours prior it's a hell of a lot simpler.

They are guaranteed drops for completing bounties. The second, third, fouth and fifth bounty in every act drops one.

The first one does not, to stop people from remaking games constantly to do the fastest 1 bounty they can find.

Most bounties can be finished in under a few minutes.

Awesome, thanks. I believe Rifts will be consuming most of my time.

Takuan

Only if it has 2 cutscenes during the fight and no less than 10 cheesy taunts from the final boss.

Tell me about it. Acts 3 and 4 are a bombardment of juvenile taunts from Azmodan and Diablo as you foil their plans over and over again, it's fucking comical. They were such incompetent villains, straight out of a Saturday morning cartoon show.

Going strictly by the RoS trailer, this villain seems legitimately formidable. Hoping that bleeds into the campaign.

Dahbomb

He can use a 2H + Shield? If so, probably explains the lack of the +30% melee reduction.
He has to use a passive slot for it and he gets a 15% movement speed reduction.

The MS reduction isn't a big deal because every Crusader uses that Steed move anyway.

The Crusader is probably the reason why 2H weapons suck so much now.

AEREC

Tell me about it. Acts 3 and 4 are a bombardment of juvenile taunts from Azmodan and Diablo as you foil their plans over and over again, it's fucking comical. They were such incompetent villains, straight out of a Saturday morning cartoon show.

Going strictly by the RoS trailer, this villain seems legitimately formidable. Hoping that bleeds into the campaign.

I really hope so...vanilla D3 had a decent story but the presentation was absolutely abysmal. Surely Blizz has acknowledged that D3 was a complete failure from a script perspective.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
What it the difference between crusader shields and normal shields? I was planning on using Skorn + Stormshield when I hit 60. Am I going to be gimp using the Stormshield?

Takuan

I really hope so...vanilla D3 had a decent story but the presentation was absolutely abysmal. Surely Blizz has acknowledged that D3 was a complete failure from a script perspective.

I didn't think much of D3's story, but I agree that the presentation didn't help things. At the same time, I don't know how else they could've approached it; CG is expensive and it makes sense to keep things in-engine as much as possible for this type of game.

Regardless, the end result was unimpressive and I'm just hoping A5 as a whole is more compelling on all fronts, from story to scene/character/enemy design.

The Crusader is probably the reason why 2H weapons suck so much now.
Yeah, this is all but confirmed. I don't think it's a good idea to gimp an entire item type for 5 out of the 6 classes just for one passive skill, albeit a significant class-defining passive skill. It doesn't seem right.

Ashodin

THAT'S WHAT THEY SAID ABOUT DHs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom