• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kacho

I think I remember Blizzard saying that the wanted the story stuff to feel a bit more subdued and ambient in RoS. I hope that's the case since I thought it was way too in your face and loud in D3.

THAT'S WHAT THEY SAID ABOUT DHs

ur crazy bro

I think I remember Blizzard saying that the wanted the story stuff to feel a bit more subdued and ambient in RoS. I hope that's the case since I thought it was way too in your face and loud in D3.

I'm fairly certain the boss taunting is gone. I'm not sure if Malthael even speaks (outside of lore entries), much less taunts the player, before his fight.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
The Crusader is probably the reason why 2H weapons suck so much now.

They have actually explained the reason for this, and it won't exist in RoS.

Nevalistis said:
This, and the OP's post, is a good analysis of what's going on here. Allow me to expand on this and offer insight from our perspective.
When we set out to redesign loot in Diablo III, we knew these changes would need to take the expansion into account. This means that it was necessary to create these changes in the scope of the 1-70 experience. The unfortunate byproduct of these changes is what's laid out above - iLvl 63 became level 63 items, which in the current pre-expansion and level 60 experience means they no longer drop.
That said, this issue is unique to the transition time between patch 2.0.1 and Reaper of Souls. No one should experience this when playing the expansion - it's completely unique to the current environment. We understand it's created some awkward moments while playing (i.e. "YAY, a Legendary! Ohhh... it's a 2-hander..."). In order to get a completely full picture of this situation, we can re-evaluate both where potential changes may need to be made and what the best, most informed way is to make them after we can observe the 1-70 experience in a live environment.

Source

THAT'S WHAT THEY SAID ABOUT DHs

Ashodin, the only one ballsy enough to play a melee DH.

Ashodin

I swear to God, Yoshichan, the Light, Death, that I will make the Crusader roll 2H and Attack Speed and his blows will be a heavenly fury that all shall crumble

Sword-hiei-attack.gif

Dahbomb

They have actually explained the reason for this, and it won't exist in RoS.

Source

Ashodin, the only one ballsy enough to play a melee DH.
They are basically saying that the loot isn't as good as it could be because they want you to play the Expansion for the proper loot.

Typical Blizzard.

Ashodin

What's your build? using skills that don't require bows like Chakram, Impale, etc?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Ashodin-1707/hero/171860

nades with tinkerer, fan of knives with knife expert for spam on right click, vault for flipping into melee with trail of cinders for damage to everything on the way in (or crisscrossing like an X), wolves for companion damage + 30% boost (have the cloak of the garwulf for that), and sentries with rockets so if I need to hang around an area the damage will mount over time. Oh yeah and Shuriken Cloud for more Aoe damage around me

Imma GIF it

k9HKl8s.gif

This how we do it in Demon Hunter melee land

Rocket Passive, Perfectionist, Tactical Advantage for SPEEEEEEEED

Just realized I need the fire boots to be even more awespme.

Wow at gamespot re-review of D3.

After patch 2.0.1 was released on February 25, I took my level 44 witch doctor out for a spin for the first time in ages, and after playing for about an hour, I'd already collected rare and legendary weapons and armor that far outstripped anything I'd been using before. Gear is better now not only in terms of its base stats, but also in terms of its other characteristics. Whereas before, I tended to stick with the same few skills throughout the game, now, gear encourages me to switch things up periodically by offering hefty percentage bonuses to the damage done by a specific skill.

I love all of these opinions from people who didn't actually play D3. Gaming journalism at its finest.

They are basically saying that the loot isn't as good as it could be because they want you to play the Expansion for the proper loot.

Typical Blizzard.
Seriously, that explained nothing.

Basically, 'Oh you aren't buying the expansion? Enjoy your shitty 2 handed legendary drops because reasons.'

Granadier

That build is pretty awesome too! I may use something similar. Was also thinking about that passive that lets Laws used longer.

Crus in general need to take CDR (Cooldown Reduction) on the Paragon tree.

Yes they do.

There's so many possibilities for awesome freakin builds with Crusaders, and all classes, that I just can't wait to try out.

Seriously, that explained nothing.

Basically, 'Oh you aren't buying the expansion? Enjoy your shitty 2 handed legendary drops because reasons.'

Why wouldn't you buy the expansion?

Does anyone that plays WoW play without MoP?

Did anyone play D2 without LoD?

Do people play SC2 without HotS?

This is the same thing that happens with every expansion. Items are readjusted to make way for the new content.

Ashodin

Seriously this shit

k9HKl8s.gif
k9HKl8s.gif
k9HKl8s.gif

is why the game is awesome now. My previously tough to use build that totally forgoes all the ranged stuff the DH is known for and STILL IS VIABLE (Slaughtering stuff on Torment 2, could probably have fun in Torment 4)

What's egregious about that quote? Sure +dmg and +skill modifiers existed before, you would just roll them with other completely shit stats so they were fucking useless.

That in her original review she never hit 60 and is now acting like she has any viewpoint to compare launch D3 to current D3.

Dahbomb

Game reviews for ARPGs and MMOs that are designed to be played for 1000s of hours are generally useless.

Honestly if you had just a lvl44 character in vanilla D3 you probably thought the game was amazing. And in general 1-60 experience was fairly fun. But once you hit lvl60 the fun stopped.

Why wouldn't you buy the expansion?

Does anyone that plays WoW play without MoP?

Did anyone play D2 without LoD?

Do people play SC2 without HotS?

This is the same thing that happens with every expansion. Items are readjusted to make way for the new content.
Are these real questions? Of course people still play all of those without the expansions.

It's not ok to hand wave issues away just because the issue doesn't exist at lvl70; not everyone is going to buy the expansion.

so i assume some classes changed since launch, think ill start a fresh toon to see what 2.0 is up.

played a monk before and found him to be ok. loaded question, but which class do you find awesome?

Dahbomb

Monk still is pretty awesome.

Although today I started playing DH because I got burnt out on playing Monk and I literally got 10 2H Legendaries in a row (that streak is still on). They got a lot of changes as well and it was a fun experience. I am playing a Lightning DH now with the Lightning rune for Shock Collar and Cluster Arrow. But I am just playing Normal/Hard to get the feel of the character and get some Legendaries. I hope I get a Kindershot.

joesmokey

I looked at some of the new level 70 sets and the stat rolls can be ridiculous (+750).

Cautiously optimistic for RoS, though I think I am going to jump in. I've been enjoying patch 2.0 and I'm excited for Adventure mode.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Ashodin-1707/hero/171860

nades with tinkerer, fan of knives with knife expert for spam on right click, vault for flipping into melee with trail of cinders for damage to everything on the way in (or crisscrossing like an X), wolves for companion damage + 30% boost (have the cloak of the garwulf for that), and sentries with rockets so if I need to hang around an area the damage will mount over time. Oh yeah and Shuriken Cloud for more Aoe damage around me

Imma GIF it

k9HKl8s.gif

This how we do it in Demon Hunter melee land

Rocket Passive, Perfectionist, Tactical Advantage for SPEEEEEEEED

Just realized I need the fire boots to be even more awespme.

Haha, what? This might be the craziest/awesomest thing I have ever seen in Diablo.

Cant launch the game, wtf. It does a quick black screen and stays on desktop.

Edit: I see, I deleted Dark3d and it had some left over files.

Ceebs

So I have 3 infernal machines now after HOURS of farming. Guessing it's best to use them in groups where others have machines as well.

Anyone here interested?

Rokal

She gave it an 8.5 originally.

The part I love about the review is how she gushes over all the positive changes that have been made to the game, acknowledging a lot of problems with the original version in the process, and yet the re-review scored lower than her original review.

Some small advice needed.

Just hit 40 on my Wizard and finished all 4 acts.

Whats best to do now to continue on up?

Re-start the campaign and set it to the highest difficulty and reset quests or something else?

ZenaxPure

Well if you think about it the fact they didn't even bother to get to 60 might tell you something about the state of the game at the time.

All it tells me is that reviewers are supposed to review games quickly then move on to the next game immediately without ever looking back, which is how it always has been (long before D3) and why I continue to see reviews as kind of a pointless thing. Doesn't really have much to do with the state of the game.

Plenty of other sites were the same way, I mean on the bombast two weeks ago Jeff/Brad were talking about how much they loved the game (keep in mind they rated the game 5/5 originally), but, neither of them made it to inferno (or max level iirc) and they didn't really understand the significance of why people were so happy with the changes. Hell, Vinny kept saying he "heard" that loot was crazy now but he entirely thought that meant raw power increases, not items/stats that were actually build changing to offer different playstyles.

That kind of shit is pretty common for most reviews man, regardless of game.

Begaria

His name is Josh Mosqueira:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/9773963/messages-from-hell-the-future-of-diablo-iii-6-5-2013

He was the guy in charge for bringing D3 to consoles. He did such a bang up job that Blizzard woke the fuck up and put him in charge of everything Diablo related.

From the Diablo Wiki http://www.diablowiki.net/Josh_Mosqueira

Before joining Blizzard, Josh was best known as one of the Lead Designers for Company of Heroes, a critically-acclaimed[7] and top-selling World War II RTS. He also worked on Warhammer 40,000 and Far Cry 3. His full credited games resume can be seen on MobyGames.

Diablo III (2012), Blizzard Entertainment Inc.
Far Cry 3 (2012), Ubisoft Entertainment SA
Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor (2009), THQ Inc.
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II (2009), THQ Inc.
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Soulstorm (2008), THQ Inc.
Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts (2007), THQ Inc.
Company of Heroes (2006), THQ Inc.
Company of Heroes (Collector's Edition) (2006), THQ Inc.
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War (2004), THQ Inc.
Homeworld 2 (2003), Sierra Entertainment, Inc., Vivendi Universal Games, Inc.
Impossible Creatures (2003), Microsoft Game Studios
Spider-Man 2: Enter: Electro (2001), Activision Publishing, Inc.

Edit: I should mention that the man in charge of "Loot 2.0" (i.e. fixing the itemization) is actually Travis Day

http://www.diablowiki.net/Travis_Day

He did a lot of work on the itemization of World of Warcraft.

ZenaxPure

Wait they only got to level 44 serious game journos how long did they play one or two days or something.

It's like I said man, assuming the game has a story most reviewers (at most of these types of sites anyhow) typically play through it once then put a bow on it. I don't know how this is surprising to anyone when reviewers are often talking about how they constantly have to finish a game so they can move on to the next one. This isn't exclusive to D3 at all, but, it's more noticeable here because the game is designed around playing it over and over again.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
His name is Josh Mosqueira:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/9773963/messages-from-hell-the-future-of-diablo-iii-6-5-2013

He was the guy in charge for bringing D3 to consoles. He did such a bang up job that Blizzard woke the fuck up and put him in charge of everything Diablo related.

From the Diablo Wiki http://www.diablowiki.net/Josh_Mosqueira

Edit: I should mention that the man in charge of "Loot 2.0" (i.e. fixing the itemization) is actually Travis Day

http://www.diablowiki.net/Travis_Day

He did a lot of work on the itemization of World of Warcraft.

So this is basically another example of Relic showing Blizzard how it is done

Granadier

Where's Yoshi been ;(

Edit: Nice caverns guide IceMarker.............that subtle spider tho....*shudders*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom