• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

You know every time I see a screenshot of some one getting The Barber it pisses me off that there are still legendaries in this game that are just glorified Yellows. Why is it even a legendary if it doesn't have a unique bonus? Out of all 6 of my own legendaries only 2 of them have a super special bonus effect.
"If everyone's special, nobody is."

Kacho

Feeling a little bummed out that I haven't found a single piece of my set gear yet. Gimmie a nibble of that carrot to keep me going, Blizz. :(

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
The other problem is 2H Itemziation is still kind of bad :( Hopefully we'll see more stuff on that too.

2H itemization is OK, the main issue at this point is just that every other class either gets a second emerald from dual wielding or a significant haste/dmg buff from class-specific offhands. Other than a few Crusader abilities that play off shield block chance, that isn't the case for the class.

The other problem is 2H Itemziation is still kind of bad :( Hopefully we'll see more stuff on that too.

Just doesn't do anywhere near as much damage in the same kind of time frame as Condemn + Fires of Heaven will do.
Can I initiate with Fires of Heaven, though?

To me, Falling Sword is all about giving yourself perfect positioning to get off the rest of your skills and set your teammates up to maximize ther damage output while you draw all the damage. As opposed to trying to slowly lumber into a position, which I don't find as efficient in terms of time.

Note: I like this for when I'm in a group. I may find a build I like more for solo play...but I don't intend to solo play much.

You know every time I see a screenshot of some one getting The Barber it pisses me off that there are still legendaries in this game that are just glorified Yellows. Why is it even a legendary if it doesn't have a unique bonus? Out of all 6 of my own legendaries only 2 of them have a super special bonus effect.
Legs can always roll higher stats, so they can always be better than yellows in theory. Provides the roll doesn't suck. it's always going to be hard to beat a perfect roll yellow though, because the odds of getting a better roll leg are remote.

But yea, some legs are legs simply because you can get higher rolls on them potentially.

This game is rigged. Every single legendary plan I have, I do not have the legendary mats for.

9 different legendary mats. Not a plan for one of them. Arrrrrrrg.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
"If everyone's special, nobody is."

I mean that doesn't really apply here because a legendary should have unique effect that separates it from being a yellow. I have legendary shoulders that are BARELY better than yellow shoulders that roll the same affixes.

Every legendary should have some unique bonus to them. Something to actually set them aside, something that makes you wonder "well it's a 2% damage loss and a 4% toughness drop but that maybe I can do something interesting with that bonus."

http://i.imgur.com/JadEbrk.jpg

This would be a cool thing too add. I hate it when concepts by people not on the dev team look really awesome ;_;

Insaniac

Finally, got some useful stuff today. Gambled and got a Magefist, but no CD and CC. At least I can still enchant for 10% CC. Now, to find Cindercoat and Mirrorball....

Also found a very high roll Jang's Envelopment, basically improving on the Black hole spell by slowing mobs down by 80% for 3 secs after they've been caught by the black hole. I'm wondering if this is actually help or not, cause it drops my dps by 7%. I'm still using the legacy Witching Hour. It's just so hard to let go off that item.

its a matter of utility vs DPS. IMO slowing down the mobs will be more helpful for higher difficulties then the 7% DPS.

Fularu

Banned
2H itemization is OK, the main issue at this point is just that every other class either gets a second emerald from dual wielding or a significant haste/dmg buff from class-specific offhands. Other than a few Crusader abilities that play off shield block chance, that isn't the case for the class.
10% crit isn't a significant buff?

Firemind

I mean that doesn't really apply here because a legendary should have unique effect that separates it from being a yellow. I have legendary shoulders that are BARELY better than yellow shoulders that roll the same affixes.

Every legendary should have some unique bonus to them.

I remember String of Ears was a good mid tier belt in D2 for melee builds because of the DR and life leech. Now I look at the D3 version and lol. They should bring life leech back, but only make it work for melee skills, because melee classes are fucked ten times over when you compare them to ranged classes. See: Malthael.

ViviOggi

Finally got the socket on my Fate of the Fell after like 10 tries and it's so amazing. Even without the socket it was a lot stronger than my old 2850 DPS Scourge, and with one it's just insanely good. Tanked my sheet DPS hard though lol
Yup, Crit Chance. About all you can expect from a Shield is STR, Crit, Block/All Resist/Skill Damage% for the last two spots.
Got it. Those Forgotten Souls go away so fast :(

j-wood

Am I doing something wrong with 2H weapons? I don't understand how they are "bad"

I got a staff with 2,800dps that has good stats for my wizard. With it, my DPS is about 460,000

If i switch to a wand with 1800 dps and a good source, my dps drops to 350,000.

scy

There's a lot of 2H weapons that do nothing :(

Can I initiate with Fires of Heaven, though?

Why would you need to? If you're trailing behind instead of leading from pack to pack, you're already wasting time in my opinion. Movement penalty be damned, I'm usually first to each pack so I don't need to waste a skill slot for the sake of keeping up. Falling Sword is just inferior for damage and the cooldown matters at Rift clear speeds. Maybe when it gets buffed this'll be different but it's just half the damage potential of Condemn.

Am I doing something wrong with 2H weapons? I don't understand how they are "bad"

I got a staff with 2,800dps that has good stats for my wizard. With it, my DPS is about 460,000

If i switch to a wand with 1800 dps and a good source, my dps drops to 350,000.

2800 DPS 2H is in the upper roll range of the weapon.
1800 DPS 1H is in the lower roll range of the weapon.

I'm still using the legacy Witching Hour. It's just so hard to let go off that item.

The only thing that can replace a legacy witching hour is a better legacy witching hour :p

Still clinging to mine for dear life.

eX7Nrx1.png

Guys, dumb question: in what type of build is attack speed bad?

I've seen a few people mention it with regard to certain skills in their build, but I'm not really clear in how AS punishes things like Disintegrate. Also, does it hurt other channeling abilities like Arcane Torrent? I'm not having resource issues because with "arcane on crit" I crit enough to sustain it almost permanently. I didn't find the same to be true with disintegrate, though. Almost like it wasn't really critting? Or very infrequently.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The only thing that can replace a legacy witching hour is a better legacy witching hour :p

Still clinging to mine for dear life.

It's totally true, belts are generally so baddddd in RoS lmao. Thundergods and hellcats seem to be the only decent batch and one of them is for a specialized build.

Begaria

I just gambled up a Magefist from the blood shard lady. It's exactly the item I was hoping for, but the rolls were just "ok". I only got 15% fire damage (max 20%), and while it did roll +str 600+, and crit chance of 10.0%, it also rolled high vit and cooldown reduction. I'll reroll the cooldown to +crit damage and see how my HOTA/Smash compares damage wise with the +fire damage, but I'm going to miss the Attack speed on my current gloves (which are a quadfecta of main stat/AS/CC/CD).

6% attack speed or 15% fire damage and slightly higher main stat, it'll be interesting to see which does better overall.

ferr

I've seen a few people mention it with regard to certain skills in their build, but I'm not really clear in how AS punishes things like Disintegrate. Also, does it hurt other channeling abilities like Arcane Torrent? I'm not having resource issues because with "arcane on crit" I crit enough to sustain it almost permanently. I didn't find the same to be true with disintegrate, though. Almost like it wasn't really critting? Or very infrequently.

Well for DH if you're spamming a hatred spender, the faster you spam it the quicker you run out of hatred = bad. So replacing IAS with some other +dps affix is better. Your sheet damage may look even, but you keep your hatred from hitting 0 longer.

scy

Channeled abilities cost at "tick" intervals which is tied to your Attack Speed so those builds suffer at high IAS% as it drains faster than they can sustain.

Arcane Power on Crit works at whatever the proc coefficient is for the skill so how well it'll generate your resource varies from skill to skill.

Shit I am so addicted now. I am not as hardcore as some of you or my buddies but I am loving getting legendarys and rares. Then trying to reroll stats. Then jumpin back into playing with others. Sometimes it's a bit frustrating when I jump into open games only for people to say get out or I'm not high enough level etc...Sometimes I'm just trying to grind and level up a new character real quick. Not sure if that affects the gameplay or what, but I usually just jump out and try someone else if they are being snobby.

Lucis

How many people got the new hellfire ring? and how did it roll?

My friend who has the best luck in the world, got 3/4 last night with just 4 machines (1 machine from each person)

I think im gonna try focus on key farming for a while to get the ring (and then pray to rngesus on rolls...). So far the only non legendary/set pieces I have are the 2 rings, which both of them are high int AS/CDC/CDD rings.

As for AS for wizard, i think it's very important.

Pulling off many spells and empty your resource fast is essential when not moving is not an option most of the build. Even if eventual melee build becomes viable at high torment, I believe AS will also be important there.

Disintegrate builds just don't work I feel, not enough area coverage on all sides, i had item that gave 20% arcane + 28% dis combined, tried dis build with chaos/volatility/intensify combined with archon, still does not feel nearly as fluid as the typical frozen orb/cold build even with out +cold +orb %.

Such a giant toughness decrease... let it go man... let it go.

The BEST rare I've found can give me +13% toughness but -10% DPS. So it's a sidegrade. And right now, my toughness is suitable for Torment 2. It would not make a difference in Torment 3. I'm sure I'll give it up eventually but right now, Witching Hour > everything I've found.

Mugaaz

its a matter of utility vs DPS. IMO slowing down the mobs will be more helpful for higher difficulties then the 7% DPS.

Not in this case. It just doesn't work. The Black Hole effect itself lasts almost 3 seconds, the slow never really does anything. If it lasted 3 seconds after the Black Hole it would be cool. I'm using one, but I'm 100% unimpressed. On the other hand, the bracers that give a 30% dmg bonus for 5 seconds after an enemy has been knocked back are insane with Black Hole.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
10% crit isn't a significant buff?

Are you implying that shields can have 10% crit? So can all other offhands, in addition to bonus damage (mojo/sources) and haste (quivers) (and crit damage gems from offhand weapons)

Vodh

Just look at it this way - if you can obtain the same amount of damage elswhere, it's almost always a good idea (unless you have something that explicitly benefits from ASPD like WD's Fetish Syncopaths) - ASPD technically increases your DPS but doesn't do a thing for resource efficiency. Say you went from 250k DPS to 500k DPS SOLELY on ASPD. Well, shit, your arcane orb used to hit for 250k and crit for 1m and guess what, it still hits for 250k and crits for 1m. And you still can cast just 4 of them on your arcane power pool.

Then the other stuff kicks in, like, you're able to dish out the damage faster and you didn't really sacrifice anything, and you're able to squeeze in a couple signature spells, and if you use Prodigy that's gonna generate AP faster too because you cast more of them magic missiles or whatever. So yeah, you did increase your sheet DPS as well as your actual DPS. But not nearly by 100%.

Now take the same situation - you increase your DPS using anything other than ASPD, let's say you bump it again from 250k to 500k. But now your attacks crit harder, more often, or just do straight up more damage. You can safely assume that your real DPS has just doubled.

To top this little lecture off, enter Crusader. Half of your fucking skills are on cooldown. You don't give a crap about ASPD, not if you'd have to sacrifice anything else to gain it.

Anoregon

Question for you guys... what does it mean when you say a weapon has "black damage"?

It doesn't have an elemental damage. So the like +1000 damage it gets is untyped instead of fire or poison.

scy

To top this little lecture off, enter Crusader. Half of your fucking skills are on cooldown. You don't give a crap about ASPD, not if you'd have to sacrifice anything else to gain it.

Off-hand, ASPD should factor as a Damage% modifier for cooldown skills, though I've yet to test how that interaction works with Crusader skills.

Why would you need to? If you're trailing behind instead of leading from pack to pack, you're already wasting time in my opinion.

Wjy would you need to? Because teleporting Wizards and Dashing Monks, my friend. let's have an honest conversation if we're going to talk about it. :D You're going to be last more often than not, making premium positioning difficult at times.

Falling Sword is just inferior for damage and the cooldown matters at Rift clear speeds. Maybe when it gets buffed this'll be different but it's just half the damage potential of Condemn.
As for condemn, why talk about it like its either or? Why not Fall in then Condemn everyone? There's a reason it was listed in my original commentary on the subject. Condem works like Taunt in my build.

Also, cool downs aren't a problem for me with 40% CDR. Falling is down roughly every 16 or 17 seconds and seemingly less with those Neph globes. That's more than fast thought to be available for every Elite rift pack. Often times twice in a given fight.

To me there is value in its positioning/repositioning and, 2 second stun. Damage isn't the only part to this equation. ymmv.

Would anyone on EU like to run rifts (on t1) or spam act2 bounties (also on t1 preferably) for the act2 caches? (edit: act2 caches can drop arguably the best gloves in the game)

I've got a 1.35m dmg wizard, send me a pm (or a reply in this thread) if you're interested

IceMarker

Question for you guys... what does it mean when you say a weapon has "black damage"?

No elemental damage on the weapon (under primary). It really doesn't matter what element your weapon is unless you have +elemental-skill% that is the same as your weapon AND the skill you're using is physical.

No elemental damage on the weapon (under primary). It really doesn't matter what element your weapon is unless you have +elemental-skill% that is the same as your weapon AND the skill you're using is physical.

This is no longer true. It was a bug and was fixed right away. I spent 2 pages complaining about a week ago. The element on a weapon is largely just for decoration.

jrcbandit

My old level 60 Witching Hour was near perfect, I got a level 70 one but the CHD roll sucked (35 vs 48 on my old one) and I had to use the Mystic to roll intelligence on it. Still using the new one since its armour and intelligence is so much higher. The level 70 version IAS maxed out at 7% while the level 60 could go 8%.

scy

Wjy would you need to? Because teleporting Wizards and Dashing Monks, my friend. let's have an honest conversation if we're going to talk about it. :D You're going to be last more often than not, making premium positioning difficult at times.

Not in my experience. Maybe everyone I play with is terrible :x No, I think it's just my playstyle with the group where I leave them with the last due or so and run off for the next pack.

As for condemn, why talk about it like its either or? Why not Fall in then Condemn everyone? There's a reason it was listed in my original commentary on the subject. Condem works like Taunt in my build.

Because I was dumb and just read it as Falling Sword into a Provoke. Too busy alt-tabbing back and forth and not focusing on the post. Sorry ;___;

To me there is value in its positioning/repositioning and, 2 second stun. Damage isn't the only part to this equation. ymmv.

No, if you're also using Condemn into the rotations then I have nothing to say really. Like, any build NOT using Condemn is a flawed build in my opinion. It's just such a good skill for Crusaders right now. One of the few with the numbers tweaked correctly.

Falling Sword + Condemn + Generator + Spender is probably the best setup we have available. If FS had a Holy option.

Shifty76

The BEST rare I've found can give me +13% toughness but -10% DPS. So it's a sidegrade. And right now, my toughness is suitable for Torment 2. It would not make a difference in Torment 3. I'm sure I'll give it up eventually but right now, Witching Hour > everything I've found.

Keep in mind that with belts now rolling +skill bonus on primary attacks that the skill bonus can often make up for the lost sheet dps.

Replaced my old WH pretty quick with a +15% dmg to my main attack one which also gave me ~200k more toughness and had an identical kill speed when tested on Ghom a few times.

RDreamer

I'm starting to really like my new Crusader build

I've got him decked out in blocking gear, basically. With Hardened Senses active from Punish (so most of the time), I've got 73% chance to block. I've got the passive that gives me a ton of life each block, too. The rest of the build is made for spamming Fires of Heaven as much as I can. I can get back wrath from Shield Glare and from Provoke. So I can basically jump into the middle of a group and start spamming Fires of Heaven and when I run out I either do shield glare or provoke to get more back, depending. Provoke means more damage from my Hardened Senses proc, too.

He's got about 10 million in toughness now, so he's pretty able to withstand anything. His sheet dps is a bit under 300k, but I'm not usually regularly attacking> I'm throwing Fires of Heaven for 1 million on the low end and up to 9 million on the high it seems.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Is there even high level gear that looks old and fucked up?
Loved that i could have a bum like looking char that was actually strong in D1/D2.

zlatko

Banned
Long windedish post needing advice in various aspects incoming:

* I have a level 21 Crusader. I want to hit level 70 ASAP on him. What's the best means? I know power leveling won't happen so what's my other best bet? Adv mode on master solo/public games. Expert? Story mode on torment?

* I have a level 60 Monk. Still by far the character I have most hours played at around 80 hours. I dropped him off as he was weak sauce compared to my DH/Wiz. How do Monks fair now? Just a slight notch above crusader? ****WHAT BUILD DO YOU RECOMMEND****

*My now 70 DH and Wizard-what's the best way to get them awesome equipment? Farm normal bounties in public groups to do split farms, and open caches? T1 torment neph rifts?

*What's the point of higher level Torment? Better equip? Bragging rights?

*DPS wise, what class is best right now? Wiz and Barb, then the rest are mid ?

Tom Penny

Weird. I found a Vigor belt yesterday that crushed my witching hour due to the ridiculous dex / vit and resist roll. It did not have crit damage on it though.

Shifty76

Oh boy, well then it REALLY doesn't matter at all what element your weapon is. IT'S ALL ABOUT DAT SKILL TYPE BABY

There is one small thing that does make a difference, especially if your weapon is physical dmg only, and that is the +weapon dmg % roll as that is only applied to the physical dmg portion.

On most RoS weapons that roll is miniscule, so it doesn't make a huge difference, but on pre-2.0 weapons the difference between identical dps weapons with +30% weapon dmg and +50% weapon dmg was pretty big once you started socketing in rubies to boost it further.

Boogdud

I hit one of the shrines that basically eliminates all of your cooldowns and resource cost on my Crusader last night. I felt like a real class. Almost like I was seeing a glimpse of what the class could be.

Now granted, I wasn't really any more efficient at killing than my unshrined wd or wiz but you get the point.

The Cowboy

I just got this for my enchantress and am wondering something.
Vu76iiC.jpg

Does the "You follower cannot die" part mean i can enchant away all her vitality/health regen (on all her equipment and the focus) and change everything for damage instead?, if she can't die doesn't that mean she needs no longer needs defensive stats?.

Just curious.

ViviOggi

I hit one of the shrines that basically eliminates all of your cooldowns and resource cost on my Crusader last night. I felt like a real class. Almost like I was seeing a glimpse of what the class could be.

Now granted, I wasn't really any more efficient at killing than my unshrined wd or wiz but you get the point.

What's your build?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Quick Big question how do properties that modify the damage of abilities work exactly.

By that I mean say you have a helm with 11% blessed hammer damage on them.

Since hammers do 200% does that mean they now to 222% or 211%? So then what happens when you have multiple things that boost hammer damage? How do they add up? Do they just stack on top of each other or do all the gear ones total up and then go off the base damage?

Like what would happen if you had 11% on your hat, 12% on your boots and 10% on your shoulders and then you had 20% from a passive? Would it just make the total be 53%? Then get added on to the 200% and be 253% hammer damage? or would it be calculated in a different way?

I guess I'm asking if this shit is multiplicative or additive. I'm leaning towards additive because multiplicative could be broken unless it was additive on gear then multiplicative when being calculated against the base skill.

Also I am considering trying this build out for T3/4 farming
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/crusader#aedliT!aVSe!aZYaYZ
Dropping Laws Valor for Laws of Justice will bump up my survivability by a good 2 mil toughness and divine fortress should also help because my shield has a base block chance of 19% without an additional block roll.

It will drop my DPS from 1mil to 950k but whatever.

Any critiques?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom