• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12032813274

"There is now an additional bonus 25% chance to find a Legendary item while in a Nephalem Rift.*
The number of chests that spawn in the following zones has been reduced:*

Core of Arreat
Briarthorn Cemetary
Battlefields of Eternity
Crag of Eternity
"

FFFFFFFFFkkkkkkkk Are any of the listed zones that one in Act 5 with all the circular portals that take you to the next platform? (Thats a bad description but surely you all know what I mean).

The Core runs can burn in hell, but I LOVE getting this particular zone in my rifts, because it spawns a total metric ton of chests and they are great for legs.

Edit: Yes! None of those are it. But its surely to be nerfed eventually. I seriously squeel when I get that tileset in a rift, there are SO many chests in it.

Discobird

FFFFFFFFFkkkkkkkk Are any of the listed zones that one in Act 5 with all the circular portals that take you to the next platform? (Thats a bad description but surely you all know what I mean).

The Core runs can burn in hell, but I LOVE getting this particular zone in my rifts, because it spawns a total metric ton of chests and they are great for legs.

You're thinking of the Pandemonium Fortress (last zone before Malthael)? Those weren't listed so I presume they weren't nerfed.

For that matter I'm not sure if any of these nerfs carry over to the Rift version of these maps.

So..
3 hours after 70, my crusader has shaped up nicely..
360k dps, 14m toughness (have like 890 as lowest resist and around 890k life)..
I might swap some stuff from vit to dps stat, but as for Now i'll leave resist all where it stands..
Any solid tankadin build?
I feel like i hit too lightly at times...

Braag

"There is now an additional bonus 25% chance to find a Legendary item while in a Nephalem Rift.*

Core of Arreat
Briarthorn Cemetary
Battlefields of Eternity
Crag of Eternity
"

I have close to 300 rift fragments since by doing bounties I received more gold, more exp and caches which could contain a legendary so I didn't see any point in doing rifts except for forgotten souls which I had plenty of. I usually did rifts when others wanted to so I just tagged along.
Now at least there's a very good reason to do rifts and those 300 fragments will come in handy :D

eek5

Edit: Yes! None of those are it. But its surely to be nerfed eventually. I seriously squeel when I get that tileset in a rift, there are SO many chests in it.

Honestly they should make it so the chests are still there in rifts even if they nerf it outside of rifts.

Discobird

I have close to 300 rift fragments since by doing bounties I received more gold, more exp and caches which could contain a legendary so I didn't see any point in doing rifts except for forgotten souls which I had plenty of. I usually did rifts when others wanted to so I just tagged along.
Now at least there's a very good reason to do rifts and those 300 fragments will come in handy :D

For me the most attractive things about rifts are (1) fun factor and (2) a lot more blood shards than doing bounties for the same amount of time. I hit the rifts when I want to gamble a particular legendary for a particular slot.

Anyone want to go on chest/breakables runs in t6 rifts now???

I feel like that won't be very viable. You never know the spawn rate of such things in rifts, nor the layout of the rifts themselves. You'll end up zoning in and running around like a chicken with your heads cut off before getting any decent loot numbers.

You'd be better off just going at a rate you can handle.

Good. I hate myself for doing T6 Core runs, but can't help myself because it's just so damn efficient. That being said, if this isn't live yet, I'm chest running until it is.

What's the most rewarding thing to dump shards in hoping for a legendary?

I honestly wouldn't expect to get an upgrade for my weapon or source but everything else I see potential upgrades for.

Armor slots that your set items occupy, IMO.

I honestly wouldn't expect to get an upgrade for my weapon or source but everything else I see potential upgrades for.

eek5

Good. I hate myself for doing T6 Core runs, but can't help myself because it's just so damn efficient. That being said, if this isn't live yet, I'm chest running until it is.

Why only core runs? Get 4 people and run each of the areas blizz listed independently then rotate waypoints to check map for legs. Drops from breakables/chests stay on the map even if you aren't in the area... lol

Dahbomb

Anything that is worth 5 shards I would imagine. That's the lowest price so you get more items and thus more chances for a Legendary drop.

I have been rolling Gloves for that Magefist. 4K shards in no Legendary yet.

And Myriam can kiss my big brown ass! Bitch stole all my souls!

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

"[UPCOMING HOTFIXES]

There is now an additional bonus 25% chance to find a Legendary item while in a Nephalem Rift.*

Core of Arreat
Briarthorn Cemetary
Battlefields of Eternity
Crag of Eternity
"

I wonder if that 25% will count towards Forgotten Souls as well? Overall a really nice change, chest farming should not be the most efficient way to play this game.

Channeled abilities cost at "tick" intervals which is tied to your Attack Speed so those builds suffer at high IAS% as it drains faster than they can sustain.

Arcane Power on Crit works at whatever the proc coefficient is for the skill so how well it'll generate your resource varies from skill to skill.
Sorry for taking so long to respond but I've been in meetings all day. As for your thoughts...

I see. That makes sense. But if I understand correctly, even though those channeling abilities are draining resource faster it's also doing higher damage during that second and tick. So it's not that you're failing to get a poor return or dealing less damage, right?

Since the 2.0.1 update and changes, APS is used as a damage multiplier for channeling abilities. Damage is APS*tooltip_damage/5 per frame (5 times per second).

So for example, if I'm using Disintegrate, have 2.00 APS and have 0 CC I might run out twice as fast as if I had the same weapon but removed all AS from my build...but I would have done twice as much damage, right?

If your only goal is spell channeling, it certainly defeats the purpose of simple resource/second regen during the channeling process, but unless you're doing a lot of "fail casting" (that is wasting your channeling time by mis-clicking targets or some such) you're getting all the damage you should be getting out of your resource. That is, there are no diminishing returns secondary to higher APS. But with higher APS, you have to make sure that you're hitting your targets because your channels are more "concentrated" and resource-draining, if you will.

I'm not entirely clear, but I know this is in the ballpark.

Well for DH if you're spamming a hatred spender, the faster you spam it the quicker you run out of hatred = bad. So replacing IAS with some other +dps affix is better. Your sheet damage may look even, but you keep your hatred from hitting 0 longer.

I'm still not totally clear on this example.

Let's say your resource spender for DH was Elemental Arrow or Rapid Fire. In one build you have 1.10 APS (assume 2H Crossbow) and in another 2.20AS (assume dual 1H Crossbows). In the later, you burn through your Hate faster because you're getting off twice as many attacks. Assuming you land all of them on target and that your damage is the same for both setups, you should be doing 2x the damage with the APS version in a given amount of time, but running out of Hate 2x as fast, right? That doesn't seem like a drawback; rather an acknowledgement that if your goal is to get off as many resource-spending attacks as you can in as short amount of time as possible, AS is the way to do that. If you can't stand still and channel something like Rapid Fire for an extended duration of time or if you don't have the finger/wrist speed to attack-move cast Elemental Arrow, you're losing because you're not getting much damage out per second. With APS, if you're not constantly attacking, you're losing. In which case you are indeed better with a slower, high-damage weapon.

And keep in mind, with high APS, you can regenerate your resource with source generating primaries really quickly too. 4 or 5 seconds and you're right back to channeling from max resource. Seems more like a playstyle issue rather than a "better" or "worse" issue, no?

I still may be missing something important.

For reference sake, I'm using this as my resource:

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8770117237#1

It seems quite convoluted and I still may be missing some details. I did learn quite a bit from that page, though.

"[UPCOMING HOTFIXES]

There is now an additional bonus 25% chance to find a Legendary item while in a Nephalem Rift.*

Core of Arreat
Briarthorn Cemetary
Battlefields of Eternity
Crag of Eternity
"
Cool.

I think everyone likes Rifting more than location runs, so buffing the number of legs I get from rifting adds value to Rifting.

Also, people were just farming chests in those locations? I thought the idea was to kill shit. Running through and opening chests must have been eye-wateringly boring. But oh well. I guess Core farming and similar go back to actually killing monsters.

edit: oh does "coming" mean it's not been hotfixed yet?

Nista

Maraudering intensifies
Come to me beasts, let none touch me!

zYowZ0h.jpg

Setbonus is the Bonus of every DH Companion. Thats Active AND Passive Effect.
Pretty fun. Now I need the Cloak that summons 3 wolves instead of one and my posse is complete ;)

I just got my ring from Act 1 last night. I love being part of the DH Pokemon club. :)

Why only core runs? Get 4 people and run each of the areas blizz listed independently then rotate waypoints to check map for legs. Drops from breakables/chests stay on the map even if you aren't in the area... lol

Chest runs are my preferred solo activity. When I'm playing with friends, I prefer to either run rifts or split bounties.

Cipherr

The worst thing about T6 core runs were all the treasure goblins I encountered that had to much HP for me to kill in my 'Toughness gear' set/gems that I wore on those runs
8efluK5.png

Tom Penny

Should I try to roll damage into crit chance? Problem is it cost me a flawless imperial emerald each try. I don't have lots of emeralds right now.

Oh yay. So glad they fixed profiles.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/jim2point0-1220/hero/42736491

Some items are still a bit buggy. My mirrorball has a 323-379 dmg stat, not 7-8 :)

Should I try to roll damage into crit chance? Problem is it cost me a flawless imperial emerald each try. I don't have lots of emeralds right now.

I would. Just save up about 10 or so and give it your best shot. I did it for a ring the other night. I was going for crit dmg and FINALLY got it on my last gem. 46%. I was happy.

scy

Sorry for taking so long to respond but I've been in meetings all day. As for your thoughts...

I see. That makes sense. But if I understand correctly, even though those channeling abilities are draining resource faster it's also doing higher damage during that second and tick. So it's not that you're failing to get a poor return or dealing less damage, right?

I can't comment on how it functions for Disintegrate in particular as I played Archon Wizard back then but ASPD is highly relevant for speeding up clear times then. My assumption here is most that it's a case of it's just a case of draining faster on misfires. Honestly, there's no reason I can think of to avoid it but I'm tired and haven't played that kind of Wizard in awhile.

Edit: It was highly relevant for, say, Tempest Rush Monks where you wanted to keep TR uptime itself to 100%. When uptime is the most relevant bit, this matters a lot more.

I can answer this from a Crusader perspective: Attack Speed just bloats the Damage score so it's not increasing the damage directly of your resource dumps. So whatever percentage of your damage that your resource dump makes up isn't actually getting as much of an increase from IAS here.

Personally, it's still a good stat as it decreases downtime between the uses as least which is still a noticeable impact.

Might've missed something on this but doing Manglemaw over and over so I'm alt-tabbing for like 5 seconds at a time ;__; Can try this in Mumble/in-game or something lol

Raven77

Do the effects of a time bubble stack? I got a weapon that reduces the cooldown by 58% which obviously is mostly useless if it doesn't stack.

Wallach

Let's say your resource spender for DH was Elemental Arrow or Rapid Fire. In one build you have 1.10 APS (assume 2H Crossbow) and in another 2.20AS (assume dual 1H Crossbows). In the later, you burn through your Hate faster because you're getting off twice as many attacks. Assuming you land all of them on target and that your damage is the same for both setups, you should be doing 2x the damage with the APS version in a given amount of time, but running out of Hate 2x as fast, right? That doesn't seem like a drawback; rather an acknowledgement that if your goal is to get off as many resource-spending attacks as you can in as short amount of time as possible, AS is the way to do that. If you can't stand still and channel something like Rapid Fire for an extended duration of time or if you don't have the finger/wrist speed to attack-move cast Elemental Arrow, you're losing because you're not getting much damage out per second. With APS, if you're not constantly attacking, you're losing. In which case you are indeed better with a slower, high-damage weapon.

And keep in mind, with high APS, you can regenerate your resource with source generating primaries really quickly too. 4 or 5 seconds and you're right back to channeling from max resource. Seems more like a playstyle issue rather than a "better" or "worse" issue, no?

In the example you're describing, you won't deal 2x the damage; you'll hit faster (though not actually 2x faster because skills like Rapid Fire use certain breakpoints to determine how many units to fire per second based on your APS which doesn't scale intuitively) but each hit will also deal less damage per strike. We'd have to assume that in both weapons' cases they somehow dealt the same damage per strike for the weapon attacking faster to deal more DPS, which will not wind up being true in-game. though the proposition of damage per hit versus base attack rate currently does favor the faster attacking ranged weapons right now as it does not appear 2H crossbows are using the correct base damage at 70.

For the most part, you're correct in that it is largely a playstyle issue, however there are things that you have to keep in mind when it comes to Hatred and attack speed:

Your Hatred regen is not fully based on your generators. You have a base Hatred of 4 per second that is modified further by items on a per-second basis. Because this is a flat value, it actually favors slower attacks that are more efficient on a damage-per-Hatred ratio. That is, since a slower weapon will deal more damage per hit (and thus per point of Hatred spent), each point of Hatred has more value, and natural regeneration obviously is not affected by your attack speed.

This line of thinking applies to all the forms of Hatred regeneration DH has access to outside of our generators. Bat Companion (both the per-second passive and the 50 Hatred active), Blood Vengeance, Reaper's Wraps; all of these restore flat values based on factors outside of our attack speed, which means they inherently favor increasing your damage-per-Hatred efficiency.

One form of Hatred regeneration that is variable based on APS is Marked for Death - Mortal Enemy. However, this really only winds up being a wash and does not actually favor faster attacks in that any Hatred you can gain faster from this via APS will also be spent faster at a lesser per-Hatred efficiency.

A basic real-world example can show how the above forms of regeneration can have pretty noticeable effects on your gameplay. In the case of an ability like Strafe for example, you will burn through significantly more Hatred per second with a very high APS. It is easily possible to create a build where you can regenerate enough Hatred per second to use Strafe indefinitely with a slow APS but not be able to do the same with a high APS because you don't have enough natural regeneration per second to offset the difference in the rate spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom