• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViviOggi

Is the apex doing damage from all 3 Rays? If so that is really absurd.

Yup, each ray deals full damage. You have to be somewhat close for all three to hit the same target though, and they seem to be separate instances - they don't necessarily crit at the same time, for example.

But yeah, like I said before, the weapon's amazing.

jwbrown77

Anyone want to give me some ideas on how to increase my damage output? T1 is taking FOREVER to kill anything.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Danexmurder-1488/hero/40649505

First, you need to get to 70. 70 items are just better.

You should investigate 1H weapons with shield, you should do more DPS, even if they're yellow 70.

You also seem to be very heavy in toughness. Perhaps more focus into strength, attack speed, etc? You should also try to focus on items that increase elemental damage and focus your skills on that element. My lightning is up +39% from two items, and pretty much all my damage comes from lightning.

Big difference between DPS and EDPS.

First, you need to get to 70. 70 items are just better.

You should investigate 1H weapons with shield, you should do more DPS, even if they're yellow 70.

You also seem to be very heavy in toughness. Perhaps more focus into strength, attack speed, etc? You should also try to focus on items that increase elemental damage and focus your skills on that element. My lightning is up +39% from two items, and pretty much all my damage comes from lightning.

Big difference between DPS and EDPS.

Thanks for the feedback. I went super heavy on Toughness because even on T1 I was just getting destroyed constantly. I've been having a lot of trouble with elites. I'll look into switching to some good one handed weapons. I have a socketed 1 hander I've been thinking about dropping an emerald into.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
The worst part of playing a WD is that no helm model comes close to hellscape mask. DEMON TENTACLE FACE

Atlantis

Finally, my first cache legendary!

2kGg81I.jpg

kInjTFP.gif

Ashodin

Does that 2H really put out 3 Heaven's Fury at one time?

That's fucking stupid. Also I would be cautious about if it works with every rune. The monk Fist of Az doesn't work with every Exploding Palm rune... only 3 out of the 5.

When you use it with the Heaven's Fury rune, you shoot three beams out like a shotgun

\ | / style. So if you are right on top of a single target, they take all three beams, which for me, would be 36mil damage in one shot.

jwbrown77

Thanks for the feedback. I went super heavy on Toughness because even on T1 I was just getting destroyed constantly. I've been having a lot of trouble with elites. I'll look into switching to some good one handed weapons. I have a socketed 1 hander I've been thinking about dropping an emerald into.

Not too much shame in going to a lower difficulty level before level 70. You'll lose some XP rate, and yes there are torment only drops, but items don't really matter that much until you hit 70.

I went from getting pretty wrecked on T1 to doing quite well in it. Gear makes all the difference.

Some potential upgrades here.

XLNgfVI.png

I could end up spending millions of gold on gems (that I don't have) and countless forgotten souls trying to get a decent roll on crit chance. In which case, that could be a decent upgrade.

PQ4Ds45.png

Not sure if I should keep what I have or go for the "trifecta."

I really really really need gold....

Azulsky

I was aiming for the IAS on my amulet but I got a 19% lightning dmg roll and I think I am going to stick with that as long as im doing LTK + Sweeping Wind. Now i just need to roll this leg ring into crit dmg, my monies

Am I correct in thinking that % damage affix on weapons is actually good if the weapon itself rolled physical damage affix?

Dahbomb

Some potential upgrades here.

XLNgfVI.png

I could end up spending millions of gold on gems (that I don't have) and countless forgotten souls trying to get a decent roll on crit chance. In which case, that could be a decent upgrade.

PQ4Ds45.png

Not sure if I should keep what I have or go for the "trifecta."

I really really really need gold....

This is a no brainer. Roll both to get double Crit.

Yes it's expensive but this is a long term goal for you.

Salz01

Just want to say, bought D3 day one. Have ROS now, and for the first time...I'm getting addicted to D3 where I just want to keep playing...at all costs.

Takuan

Hahaha, "Jondurr". I'm picturing Jondar's mentally challenged (and therefore uncorruptable) brother.

As much as I'm still loving RoS, I do have a few criticisms. Am I alone in thinking that a lot of what they did to get people back in was just inflation? People were excited to get upgrades left and right, but at some point that has to stop. The only reason everyone was getting so many upgrades was because the pre-patch loot was fucking useless since they inflated stats so much. They also turned legendaries into what used to be rares and rares are now like blues... sort of. I'm talking drop rate, excitement, and usefulness for them. They added some new stats and things to the items that are exciting, sure, but I don't think they fixed the fact that everyone is still gunning for mostly the same fucking stats on everything. Crit chance and damage are still way too powerful. As I posted before and as many others have posted: For the most part if you get a weapon and it doesn't have a socket, it's fucking useless. Not much other shit will make up for not being able to put an emerald in there.

They made a lot of cool item effects, though, but they're exclusively specific legendaries. It would have been more interesting to see some of those effects spread out.

They also failed a bit in not integrating some of the new states like the chance to do area damage. I'd love to do area damage, but the game isn't giving me any fucking clue if that would be better for me or not, so 9 times out of 10 I'll go with the thing the game says is better. People realize the elemental skill damage plus stuff is really good, too, but the game also doesn't fucking say that. We need a sheet dps per skill or something like that.

Also smart loot is cool and all, but it's in this weird middle ground. If I'm playing with my monk and I get a legendary that he shouldn't be using it's going to be this weird monk version of something. That means my crusader can't really use it without re-rolling. And that's aside from the fact that then he's probably re-rolling a main stat and sometimes you need to re-roll for a socket if it's a weapon or something... and then that brings me to the fact that the re-rolls for legendaries are completely fucking unreasonable. Give us another way to get the materials and jesus christ don't charge as much for gem upgrades if that's what we need for some re-rolls.
I agree that a lot of the excitement is that people are finally getting upgrades for their character via the new content. When people start hitting diminishing returns and have tired of AM/rift runs, the whinging begins.

Also, no trading sucks.

RDreamer

I agree that a lot of the excitement is that people are finally getting upgrades for their character via the new content. When people start hitting diminishing returns and have tired of AM/rift runs, the whinging begins.

Also, no trading sucks.

I didn't even touch on that in my little rant, but yeah account bound stuff is going to make the diminishing returns waaaaaay worse, I think. Not only are you going to slow down on upgrades, but you can't even incrementally get to the thing you want through trades and/or sales. You just get to sit and pray.

Kyoufu

Thinking of jumping in again, but I'm wondering if Elites are still a pain in the ass to kill? Do they still have random and annoying traits like in vanilla?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Thinking of jumping in again, but I'm wondering if Elites are still a pain in the ass to kill? Do they still have random and annoying traits like in vanilla?

That's sort of their whole point.

Wallach

2 legendary belts in 9 buys from blood shards. Great luck, actually using one of them for now.

I actually got a Thundergod's Vigor from Kadala last night while streaming, which was crazy since I was looking for that.

Then it dropped like 3 minutes after I left town.

ViviOggi

Wallers are absolutely the worst and I support the theory that their AI has been improved significantly in RoS. They set up the most elaborate traps in the genre.
Hahaha, "Jondurr". I'm picturing Jondar's mentally challenged (and therefore uncorruptable) brother.
His betrayal will never have to be forgiven!

garath

Anyone want to give me some ideas on how to increase my damage output? T1 is taking FOREVER to kill anything.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Danexmurder-1488/hero/40649505

jwbrown covered it pretty well but were I in your place, I'd immediately start sacrificing toughness for dps. I made the same recommendation to my monk duo partner who had over 10mil toughness and 200k dps. He's now rolling in 7mil toughness and 500k dps. Huge difference for him. He's loving it.

Also, I wouldn't even start T1 yet. Stick with master until you have more dps otherwise you're not really getting the most out it. Until your clears are faster you'll be better off sticking with master. Level 65+ mobs way outscale your dps.

I stayed in master until I broke 300k dps and 4mil toughness then switched to T1 and then when I hit 600k dps and 5mil toughness I switched to T2. Gotta keep those clear times up. No fun just beating on trash mobs for hours because they have way too many hp compared to your dps.

jwbrown covered it pretty well but were I in your place, I'd immediately start sacrificing toughness for dps. I made the same recommendation to my monk duo partner who had over 10mil toughness and 200k dps. He's now rolling in 7mil toughness and 500k dps. Huge difference for him. He's loving it.

Also, I wouldn't even start T1 yet. Stick with master until you have more dps otherwise you're not really getting the most out it. Until your clears are faster you'll be better off sticking with master. Level 65+ mobs way outscale your dps.

I stayed in master until I broke 300k dps and 4mil toughness then switched to T1 and then when I hit 600k dps and 5mil toughness I switched to T2. Gotta keep those clear times up. No fun just beating on trash mobs for hours because they have way too many hp compared to your dps.

Awesome thanks for the advice. I'd actually been sacrificing DPS for toughness for a while. I was having a helluva time surviving. I knocked it back to Master last night and had a lot more success.

Kyoufu

Invincible isn't a thing.

Well there was the Invulnerable trait in vanilla, but I meant Shielded, which practically made them invincible in vanilla. But anyway, traits like those made Elite farming very annoying and not fun. I was hoping they changed this, but I guess not.

Gotchaye

I think the really big problem for the game, longevity-wise, is the Mystic.

High-end items are super compressed relative to old Diablo 3 or Diablo 2. There's no meaningful difference between a Legendary that rolls everything perfectly and one that's missing an important affix. It just doesn't take very long at all to get a full loadout of rares that have exactly the primary affixes you want (with decent rolls to boot).

To put some ballpark numbers on the problem here, if you want four specific primary affixes with above-average rolls out of, let's say, 16 total affixes, your chance of finding that item as a drop are tiny. It's somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 per 50,000.

But if you only need 3 of those above-average rolls on specific affixes, and the fourth affix can be anything since you have the Mystic, you can find worthwhile items every few hundred drops.

This is why everyone is basically done with rares after a week. Smart loot exacerbates the issue because you have a very good chance to roll your primary stat and a very low chance of rolling some trash affixes, such that you're really only trying to get lucky with 3 primary affixes (2 with the mystic). Legendaries are necessary for progression very quickly because they can roll values higher than what the Mystic can get you on a rare, and the Mystic allows you to get nearly-perfect rares very easily.

Bizazedo

But if you only need 3 of those above-average rolls on specific affixes, and the fourth affix can be anything since you have the Mystic, you can find worthwhile items every few hundred drops.
The game is very quickly, again, zeroing in on the question of what's the sweet spot in terms of loot drops.

Too slow and people whine like they did pre 2.0 (justifiably due to the AH). Too fast and we'll be bored and / or hit that ceiling where you need perfect rolls to replace the loot.

Only solution, to me, is to make sure every class has multiple builds that'd require completely different sets of gear to fill out effectively....

Doesn't feel like we have enough stash tabs for that, though.

Sigmaah

How do I farm forgotten souls? I need them badly!

Also, fuck opening 11 caches and not even get 1 legendary!!! Did that yesterday and was like, well... I'm getting off.

Can ppl who like to play in groups add me please? I really don't like playing by myself. It's boring as fuck.

Tag is Sigma#1440 NA.

ADD ME!!!

RDreamer

High-end items are super compressed relative to old Diablo 3 or Diablo 2. There's no meaningful difference between a Legendary that rolls everything perfectly and one that's missing an important affix. It just doesn't take very long at all to get a full loadout of rares that have exactly the primary affixes you want (with decent rolls to boot).

To put some ballpark numbers on the problem here, if you want four specific primary affixes with above-average rolls out of, let's say, 16 total affixes, your chance of finding that item as a drop are tiny. It's somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 per 50,000.

This is why everyone is basically done with rares after a week. Smart loot exacerbates the issue because you have a very good chance to roll your primary stat and a very low chance of rolling some trash affixes, such that you're really only trying to get lucky with 3 primary affixes (2 with the mystic). Legendaries are necessary for progression very quickly because they can roll values higher than what the Mystic can get you on a rare, and the Mystic allows you to get nearly-perfect rares very easily.

The mystic definitely hurts things in this way. The reason it hurts things, though, is because they still didn't realistically fix the loot problem. Everyone's gunning for the same few affixes. So as you said if you only need 3 affixes and you can re-roll to the 4th, etc, then longevity is hurt. But everyone's gunning for those same 4 affixes pretty much. They added a ton of cool affixes that would have made different gearings possible and even had the ability to gather multiple sets of gear in order to do vastly different play styles. As of right now, though, I don't hear anyone at all saying "You should re-roll that to area damage" or "re-roll that to IAS" even.

In my previous post I talked about this too. Aside from buffing things like area damage, etc (and/or nerving crit stuff), they should take some of those legendary affixes and toss those out to the world or rares and stuff too. Then you could be aiming for vastly different things and really changing things up a lot. "Perfect gear" could be much more subjective.

Sciz

The game is very quickly, again, zeroing in on the question of what's the sweet spot in terms of loot drops.

Too slow and people whine like they did pre 2.0 (justifiably due to the AH). Too fast and we'll be bored and / or hit that ceiling where you need perfect rolls to replace the loot.

Only solution, to me, is to make sure every class has multiple builds that'd require completely different sets of gear to fill out effectively....

Doesn't feel like we have enough stash tabs for that, though.
This is what I'm doing with the wizard at the moment. Getting legendaries for every element and major skill is going to take a while. Definitely not enough stash space to do it with every class.

jblank83

Too fast and we'll be bored and / or hit that ceiling where you need perfect rolls to replace the loot.

I'd rather this than the other. I've already played 4 weeks of Diablo 3 almost every day for several hours. My Wizard had 150+ hours starting loot 2.0, most of it from mindlessly grinding equipment in Inferno back when drops were non-existent two years ago. It now has 200+ hours, along with 25+ on Crusader. For most games that would be an incredible value, dollars per hour of entertainment.

And I'm not even bored yet. I can see myself playing at least another month, getting items, achievements, and leveling up a 3rd character to 70 (currently have Wiz and Cru).

I don't need Diablo 3 to be my life. I don't need to play it for years on end. I just need it to be fun.

Tom Penny

Other than having a really good special ability I don't see how people don't use rare rings. They are incredibly cheap and so trying to roll trifecta's is very efficient. When I use blood shards I always pick something I could actually upgrade such as rings. Look at the stats and see if they could become really cheap upgrades. I can't seem to get leg boots on 1000+ shards so far though :(

I don't see how the mystic hurts the game. Yeah many legendaries are meh but I like knowing I can easily roll a decent rare to help the the build I want. I randomly decided to roll lashing tail kick on decent helm and boots I got. Now it does 28% more damage. Stuff like that is cool.

How do I farm forgotten souls? I need them badly!

Also, fuck opening 11 caches and not even get 1 legendary!!! Did that yesterday and was like, well... I'm getting off.

Can ppl who like to play in groups add me please? I really don't like playing by myself. It's boring as fuck.

Tag is Sigma#1440 NA.

ADD ME!!!

11? Man, that's nothing. I'm closing in on 50 and have yet to see a leg from a cache. It's not bothering me too much because they are so easy to get, though.

Mugaaz

I agree, but on the flip-side the mystic is required to exist in the BoA world. Everything that's changed was as a result of BoA. I know some hate BoA, but the mystic, increased drop rates, legs being BIS for everything, gold rewards, gold costs, gem drop rates, gem upgrade costs, everything was designed around BoA.

I think the change is good, even at this cost. There's all these items I want that are hard to get, but know whats sweet? Best way for me to get these is to kill more monsters. Not browsing forums, PM'ing people, checking AH. All that shit is gone and I can just play the game now. Hell yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom