• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dengatron

heavenly strength needs to be baseline with no movement penalty and replaced with a buff to 1 handers that lowers wrath costs and increases damage to balance them with two handers. similar to how rogue skills work in wow when using daggers vs other 1 handers. i honestly don't have much of a problem with wrath because i use blessed hammer and have reaper wraps(amazing, perma full wrath), but i shudder at the thought of using any skill besides hammer.

scy

but i shudder at the thought of using any skill besides hammer.

Meanwhile, I shudder at the thought of using any skill besides Heavenly Fury. I'd rather just dump my Wrath super fast and be done with it. But I also have ~30% IAS so Slash isn't all that bad at getting me back to where I need to be.

Ashodin

Just give meeeeeeeeee a buff to not using a shield.

All I ask for.

Also the difference in movement between my Crusader & DH is night and fucking day.

Crusader:
Lt1VqE1.gif
doesn't even fucking move he's too slow

DH: OH SUP BRO
k9HKl8s.gif
DID I JUST MOVE ALL OVER THE SCREEN in 3 SECONDS? YEAH BRO

dengatron

Meanwhile, I shudder at the thought of using any skill besides Heavenly Fury. I'd rather just dump my Wrath super fast and be done with it. But I also have ~30% IAS so Slash isn't all that bad at getting me back to where I need to be.

with no +% heavens fury damage i don't hit hard enough with the skill to feel it an effective use of wrath. i was only critting for around 18 mil with it, where my hammers crit for around 5.5 mil, at a quarter of the wrath cost. i guess in the long run it doesn't technically matter because i can still 1 shot non gimmick elite packs on t2-3, and maximus solos bosses anyways, so i'll just ride that wave until they decide to change our skills up some. depending on how the patch changes our skills around, i've been building a heavens fury set to replace condemn, but who knows what they'll change at this point.

scy

with no +% heavens fury damage i don't hit hard enough with the skill to feel it an effective use of wrath. i was only critting for around 18 mil with it, where my hammers crit for around 5.5 mil, at a quarter of the wrath cost. i guess in the long run it doesn't technically matter because i can still 1 shot non gimmick elite packs on t2-3, and maximus solos bosses anyways, so i'll just ride that wave until they decide to change our skills up some. depending on how the patch changes our skills around, i've been building a heavens fury set to replace condemn, but who knows what they'll change at this point.

I was more remarking at the fact we use the complete opposite in cost Wrath dumps :x

I'm basically just going for generic upgrades until I see the changes.

If they touch Fires of Heaven I will cry

Personally (/biased-ly), I think most our good skills are fine as is so I hope that Condemn / Heaven's Fury avoid being toned down and instead things are focused more on what we actually need fixes to: Wrath Generation, all the bad spenders, multiple passives that do nothing, Elemental diversity, and 2H itemization is rather boring.

"Just."

GorillaJu

The main reason people are going with fires of heaven is because everything else is so damn shitty. Make Fist of Heaven, Shield Bash (I love Shield Bash, too bad it's terrible) and Sweep Attack worth it to go with. Then you can bring down HF+FOH dmg a bit and I could stomach it.

Blizzard will probably slightly nerf Condemn and Fires of Heaven to normalize them with other skills which will be mostly buffed. At the moment, Fires of Heaven does monstrous damage. If you have Fate of the Fell, it's simply ridiculous, and adding extra wrath generation on top of that would make it the obvious best choice (it already is, anyway).

I hope Blizzard does what they did with Wizards when they retuned them recently. Instead of nerfing the builds that 95% used (CMWW or stupidly OP archon), they nerfed it and then have everyone a shit ton of good options to go with as an alternative

Though I expect in the mean time they'll just balance the numbers. I want to do a Punish/Shield Bash build, personally, ditching Pride's Fall for Helm of Rule. But at the moment I don't see any reason to do anything but HF+FOH with some wrath generating cool downs.

After a bit of split farming in normal I found these two weapons for my monk

I'm 680k with unity up and 730 with Transgression. Off of 2 items! I was 460k on the last page. Maaaan, this game is crazy.

Also got a Scourge with a socket which i can enchant to strength for my crusader. All in all 'twas a good day

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Sweep Attack really isn't bad, but then I get a lot of mileage out of +fire damage. Here's my 'sader: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Noray-2106/hero/38675576

Also I'd really advise against using Shield Bash. I like how it feels and everything, but I've desynced by Jailors too many damn times. If you use shield bash while Jailed you'll have to quit out, basically, it's very frustrating.

Right now, I'm desperately farming for Ring of Royal Grandeur so I can have BT's and Aughild's 3-piece bonus, though I'm working on also replacing my bracers with Aughild's but the damn mats won't drop anymore, drop rates feel much lower than before. After that, going for Coven's Criterion, aka the only true shield in the game, and I will be UNSTOPPABLE.

Also on the lookout for an Andariel's and a Maximus to truly maximize (hah) my fire damage. I like this build, the quadruple wombo combo wipes out elite packs instantly, and for everything else, Sweep Attack is real cheap and does good damage thanks to Cindercoat/magefist.

RM6F2Iy.jpg

So I found these pretty yummy Magefist earlier. I'm a cold wizard.

If I choose to enchant the +fire%, will crit damage be one of the potential options? Or do I need to enchant the LoH.

Xevren

After a bit of split farming in normal I found these two weapons for my monk

I'm 680k with unity up and 730 with Transgression. Off of 2 items! I was 460k on the last page. Maaaan, this game is crazy.

Also got a Scourge with a socket which i can enchant to strength for my crusader. All in all 'twas a good day

Oh man, that Won Khim Lau, so want.

RM6F2Iy.jpg

If I choose to enchant the +fire%, will crit damage be one of the potential options? Or do I need to enchant the LoH.

For the love of god don't take off the fire damage off the Magefist. Not sure if you can, but if you're presented the option DON'T! It'll be a rare with a bit more int at that point.

Roll the loh off and stash it away in case you ever want to do a fire build. That's one of the big components.

RM6F2Iy.jpg

go to the mystic and click the question mark next to the stats, it'll show you reroll options. Rolling the fire off magefist is like rolling your main stat off a weapon...no one does that mang! Pls roll the LoH. D:

If I actually found a decent magefist, I'd consider switching from charge blast magic missile to the fire piercing magic missile. With mirrorball there's no sense using anything else. Not sure what other fire spells I'd use though.

For the love of god don't take off the fire damage off the Magefist. Not sure if you can, but if you're presented the option DON'T! It'll be a rare with a bit more int at that point.

Roll the loh off and stash it away in case you ever want to do a fire build. That's one of the big components.

Was actually tossing up this option ;) It would definitely be far more powerful on a fire wiz after rerolling the LoH. I might do this. Still an upgrade for my cold wiz either way, too

go to the mystic and click the question mark next to the stats, it'll show you reroll options. Rolling the fire off magefist is like rolling your main stat off a weapon...no one does that mang! Pls roll the LoH. D:

Thanks didn't know about that option. And don't worry, gonna roll the LoH :)

Wallach

You can't reroll the % fire damage on Magefist, it is an implicit affix.

Zanosuke

Got my first set piece today, I'm not sure if it's good, though after seeing the stats my excitement died down, especially because it didn't have any int on it so I changed vit to int.
bOF.png

A tip. In the future for that character: reroll armor into int instead. That way you could have both int and vit on the same item. Mainstat (Int, Str, Dex) + Vit is much more preferable than mainstat + armor.

Im looking into where i went wrong. Im hitting 835k paper DPS with 21 million toughness in game as a crusader, I can just now start Soloing T2.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/BWJinxing-1978/hero/44336173

yet people with much lower DPS are throwing hammers with 5mil crits and some guy was throwing blessed shields for 10m a pop.

My hammers hit at half that as does blessed shield, am i really that behind on CD, i have roughly 400%.

You should get damage from elemental % and Skill%. It really boosts the damage. For example I have rof and cold damage on my gear for my wizard http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/sixmachine-1693/hero/41333589. It's easy to figure out on wizard since everything is some element and I haven't played with crusader that much, but if blessed shield is holy on it's tool tip then you should start stacking that element.

To segway into a different topic, I've been trying a ray of frost build even though I was running frost orb before. frost orb had more burst in the beginning but I'm liking this because I never need to stop channeling except when I need to drop a blackhole/mirror image or move. I think I like frost orb for trash better but this feels like it can handle bossing a bit better since there is no down time to regen ap. Gonna fool around with more variations later today since I basically just got light of grace a few hours ago.

BigDug13

Im looking into where i went wrong. Im hitting 835k paper DPS with 21 million toughness in game as a crusader, I can just now start Soloing T2.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/BWJinxing-1978/hero/44336173

yet people with much lower DPS are throwing hammers with 5mil crits and some guy was throwing blessed shields for 10m a pop.

My hammers hit at half that as does blessed shield, am i really that behind on CD, i have roughly 400%.

Is it possible that since you spec'd your passives to be for blocking and armor, that those other guys have spec'd their passives to add 10% to holy damage and 20% to hammer damage? 30% difference is pretty significant just by choosing 2 passives towards hammers.

Card Boy

Banned
Disappointed we only got 1 class with the expansion. I remember we got 2 in LoD.

Also searching public games via matchmaking sucks. Took me 20 minutes to find people to play with, unless it had to do with Aussie servers or the fact I was level 60 (or both).

ViviOggi

Personally (/biased-ly), I think most our good skills are fine as is so I hope that Condemn / Heaven's Fury avoid being toned down and instead things are focused more on what we actually need fixes to: Wrath Generation, all the bad spenders, multiple passives that do nothing, Elemental diversity, and 2H itemization is rather boring.

"Just."

The main reason people are going with fires of heaven is because everything else is so damn shitty. Make Fist of Heaven, Shield Bash (I love Shield Bash, too bad it's terrible) and Sweep Attack worth it to go with. Then you can bring down HF+FOH dmg a bit and I could stomach it.

Blizzard will probably slightly nerf Condemn and Fires of Heaven to normalize them with other skills which will be mostly buffed. At the moment, Fires of Heaven does monstrous damage. If you have Fate of the Fell, it's simply ridiculous, and adding extra wrath generation on top of that would make it the obvious best choice (it already is, anyway).

I hope Blizzard does what they did with Wizards when they retuned them recently. Instead of nerfing the builds that 95% used (CMWW or stupidly OP archon), they nerfed it and then have everyone a shit ton of good options to go with as an alternative

Though I expect in the mean time they'll just balance the numbers. I want to do a Punish/Shield Bash build, personally, ditching Pride's Fall for Helm of Rule. But at the moment I don't see any reason to do anything but HF+FOH with some wrath generating cool downs.
Pretty much what I'm thinking, overall there are just too few viable options right now. Some serious number tweaking in the areas you guys listed should make things much better.

Not sure if FoH really needs a nerf, even considering FotF it's not like other classes don't have legs that push certain skills or builds to ridiculous levels. But I could see Blizz wanting to drop its damage a little, and as long as they don't overdo it I guess it'll still be alright.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Disappointed we only got 1 class with the expansion. I remember we got 2 in LoD.

I agree man, diablo 3 is really at it's prime right now, but it's weakest aspect are the lack of classes IMO. Yeah, I get that they wanted a tighter balance, but this is diablo, a loot grind co-op venture (not WoW arena)--I'm itching to play an Assassin, a Druid, a Necromancer, etc... Really the only class that appeals to my right now is Barb, I got no interest in anything else :(.

Really hope the next expansion focuses on classes.

ElyrionX

Mirroball is so damn good and I am only using a 1 extra missile version.

Also, after 2000+ shards with no legs, I suddenly got three legs from Kadala today in something like 300+ shards.

ElyrionX

I agree man, diablo 3 is really at it's prime right now, but it's weakest aspect are the lack of classes IMO. Yeah, I get that they wanted a tighter balance, but this is diablo, a loot grind co-op venture (not WoW arena)--I'm itching to play an Assassin, a Druid, a Necromancer, etc... Really the only class that appeals to my right now is Barb, I got no interest in anything else :(.

Really hope the next expansion focuses on classes.

That's crazy. The classes we have in D3 are far far more fleshed out than what we got in D2.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
That's crazy. The classes we have in D3 are far far more fleshed out than what we got in D2.

I agree wholeheartedly, but I'd like to see the diversity of D2 come back now that D3 has been out for years. I understand sticking to 4 classes at launch for tighter balance and greater depth, but I think years later it's prime time to start adding more classes (more than one).

Sanctuary

Ruh roh, you're coming around. Isn't a problem for you though, you aren't using a shield.

BS aside, no damn clue how they thought this was a good idea. Hey guys, lets make a multiplayer game and cause one of the classes to move 15% slower than everyone else. Good design.

Good to see others are finally waking up to how shitty the Crusader really is. I couldn't believe the comment another Gaffer said about how their Crusader was doing the majority of the damage in their group. Yeah, blowing up elites every 45s really counts as "the majority" right?

Anyway, is anyone else having ridiculously bad luck with drops? Sure, they "upped" the legendary drop rate. Yet, 75% of what my Wizard sees are two-handed swords, maces and axes. I've yet to get an upgrade over the last five days, and my main hand weapon is one that my Crusader randomly lucked out on for his first and only lvl 70 drop.

Also, does anyone else feel like a lot of the bounties that require you to kill a specific amount of enemies intentionally had their density nerfed? I swear to god it's like there's 1-3 enemies...then nothing, nothing, nothing, 1-2 enemies, nothing etc. Yet go to the Fields of Misery and when you don't need to kill enemies, there's swarms of them. Even in Adventure Mode the density is still garbage compared to what it once was, and is too similar to the console.

Mirroball is so damn good and I am only using a 1 extra missile version.

Also, after 2000+ shards with no legs, I suddenly got three legs from Kadala today in something like 300+ shards.

I've been waiting...and waiting for a Mirrorball. In fact, I've been waiting for anything. My gear is actually pretty good, and I'm sitting at 1.2 mill buffed (+40% Arcane Orb) without Glass Cannon, but almost all of it was crafted.

Trickster

So, just got my first follower legendary, was quite happy..until I identified it

I rate it 10/10 on the "Game Design 101 Fail" scale, and will probably use this picture everytime someone claims that the current smartloot system is fine...

Sanctuary

So, just got my first follower legendary, was quite happy..until I identified it

I rate it 10/10 on the "Game Design 101 Fail" scale, and will probably use this picture everytime someone claims that the current smartloot system is fine...

Yeah, gotta love all of those life enhancing stats on an item that prevents death...

Sanctuary

No to mention the fact that it has intelligence on a templar relic, he needs strength ffs :/

I'd say it's your class interferring, but I can't say that I've ever gotten a Templar relic with Int on it as a Wizard. But all of the relics were rares...so, uh smart loot goes into overdrive on legendaries regardless of what they are?

V_Arnold

I rate it 1/10 on the "random loot being random" scale, and I will shake my head in disbelief every time someone uses this picture as something that should prove that the smartloot system is bad.

This is the item roll sheet:
FI5iJAQ.jpg

Yeah, you wanted the best version instantly, the one without defensive stats. You did not get it. So what? Also, you can always reroll the int to its mainstat (not to mention that the devs already know about this issue, a fix is coming.)

Arkanius

You need a socket in your weapon for starters. Get a Green emerald in there.

You need 4 primary stats on all your items and crit chance/crit damage on amulet/rings/gloves. Bracers, Helms and Shields can also roll crit chance which is a must. You can use the passive skill Finery to gain more DPS and toughness. You need all resistance rolls on Shoulder, Belt, Boots, Pants, Chest, Bracers and probably Helm/Shield too. Upgrade your gems, the first jump from Marquise to Imperial is dramatic.

This is a basic rundown. As far as more specific gear breakdown goes:

Shoulders: No main stat Strength and no All Resistance. You want to probably keep Vitality and MAYBE life regen but it's better to go for Armor or Life % or even a +% skill for a move that you use.

Helm: If you don't use Sweep then you can Enchant the Sweep bonus for Crit chance. Otherwise it's just better to get a Rare that has All Res + Crit chance.

Amulet: You need an Amulet with Strength, Crit chance, Crit damage plus either Vitality/All res or you can go for +damage to Holy skills or increased attack speed (IAS).

Gloves: Gloves need Main stat, Crit chance/Crit damage and probably increased attack speed too. Almost everyone goes for pure offensive stats on Gloves.

Bracers: You aren't using any Physical damage skills that are of importance so you probably need to swap that for Holy or Lightning. You also lack crit chance on your Bracers. You ideally want Strength, Crit chance, +% element damage (probably Holy damage given your build) and All resistance on Bracers.

Ring 1: Has no main stat. Again you need main stat, crit chance, crit damage here at least.

Shield: Needs crit chance and +block chance.

Pants: You probably need to get a pair of pants that give you main stat, vitality, all res and 2 sockets. You can't enchant those to get all res because they have a secondary resistance on there. Same thing for your Chest.

Boots: No movement speed on there and you don't use the Phalanx skill so it's wasted on there. You need new boots completely. Look for Strength, Vitality, All resistance and Movement speed. If you don't want movement speed then you can replace MS with +% Fist of Thunder or +Armor.

Your Ring 2 is pretty godly though... it will most likely never get replaced.

Thanks a lot. Will reroll everything considering that.
I was saving the imperial gems for better equipment I get later on. I feel this one is still a small stopgap since it's mostly random Rares I picked up other than the Helmet and the Rings

Sanctuary

Yeah, you wanted the best version instantly, the one without defensive stats. You did not get it. So what? Also, you can always reroll the int to its mainstat (not to mention that the devs already know about this issue, a fix is coming.)

Grossly exaggerate and fanboy much?

Svafnir

All items have a chance to "smart loot" aka roll your main stat and what not. Unfortunately this means follower items also roll your stats. Blizzard already mentioned this is being fixed.

But yes, it's dumb for now. I had the same problem with my token :(

Wolfie5

Got 2 legendary drops recently. Both need to be removed or have some interesting affixes added. I mean look at them:

"Broken Crown"... yes, it´s broken alright. Maybe it was a joke from blizz, don´t know.

I guess I should not complain too much as I have gotten some decent/interesting legendaries and other upgrades from time to time. I am at 670k dps and I still don´t feel like I am close to what I could get, as none of my items are close to perfect or what I really want.(pretty happy with Andy helmet though).

Needs better belt drop, as I still haven´t replaced my lvl 60 witching hour. I haven´t seen any belt drops with good stats either.

V_Arnold

What I wrote: "not to mention that the devs already know about this issue, a fix is coming"

Smart loot does not mean that you will get good loot *all the time*. Even fixed, I would still expect bad items most of the time. Part of the genre.

In the holy grail of ARPG's, Path of Exile, you literally walk in shit. Rooms full of shitty, absolutely useless white/blue/rare items. You swim in shit. You dig for diamonds in shit. (6l, good ilvl, etc.)

What I wrote: "not to mention that the devs already know about this issue, a fix is coming"

Smart loot does not mean that you will get good loot *all the time*. Even fixed, I would still expect bad items most of the time. Part of the genre.

In the holy grail of ARPG's, Path of Exile, you literally walk in shit. Rooms full of shitty, absolutely useless white/blue/rare items. You swim in shit. You dig for diamonds in shit. (6l, good ilvl, etc.)
Yeah, I accidentally quoted you instead of who I was trying to.

RNG can be brutal. There is no point in crying about it, it's working as intended (except for the follower main stat bug that is being fixed).

I just don't get it. There's been dozens of posts in this thread about loot and the Diablo Bnet forums has countless posts/threads as well. Just because your friends/clan members have gotten great loot doesn't mean you will. RNG is RNG. Understanding this concept doesn't mean you are a fanboy, it means you have common sense.

GorillaJu

I see, maybe it´s good for other builds. But I still say all legendaries should have a unique affix as well that makes it interesting.

Normal
Magic
Rare
Legendary/Set
Legendary w/ special effect

It's just a simple tier system. If every leg had an effect then the special ones wouldn't feel special anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom