• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chocobro

Should I consider rerolling one of the secondary stats, for both rings, to lightning resist if I'm stacking that on my monk? Profile here
If you're looking at my profile, that glove I got from Kadala was a trifecta from the get-go, I rerolled 29% CD to its current roll, otherwise I would've rerolled fire resist to lightning resist.
c2167de0b586bb5eecab8864f1ae710c.png
7b192ee9e3156ac75890ea81e5f3a68b.png

What are some good DH builds?

I just rolled one and got power-leveled, so I have a lot of skills to use and not a l.ot of experience with them. Any help would be much appreciated!

cripterion

lvl69 barb here, I played through actV earlier and
made it to pandemonium gates.
. It's been really kicking my ass, I feel I'm not doing enough dmg.

Kammie

So after playing through vanilla twice... there's no possible way I can keep grinding paragon levels through campaign mode. >_> No wonder people thought this game was crap before the expansion, it just gets so boring, even with smart loot.

So food budget be damned! I just purchased RoS. My sustenance shall be the loot.

Nokterian

So after playing through vanilla twice... there's no possible way I can keep grinding paragon levels through campaign mode. >_> No wonder people thought this game was crap before the expansion, it just gets so boring, even with smart loot.

So food budget be damned! I just purchased RoS. My sustenance shall be the loot.

Finish Act V it's the best one i have played since Diablo 3 has been released. After that Adventure Mode for all characters.

Chocobro

You have plenty of res already, get that damage up!

I guess I'll leave those two the way they are right now. I'm really trying to get that damage up! The biggest upgrade I need right now are some legendary weapons, primarily two of these: Sledge Fist, WLK, TF, and Fulminator. The RNG hasn't been too kind to me in terms of drops (they're pretty nice when I'm throwing blood shards at Kadala though).

The Cowboy

Love my new WD mask with the haunt/locus swarm dealing damage in half the duration effect, with creeping death and LS/Pestilence it spreads so fast, hits hard and lasts for ages with 1 use of it :D.

Also just got my 1st set piece (Blackthorne's Jousting Mail) on my Barb while levelling - so nice to finally get 1, but also gutted it was at level 61.

Tom Penny

I did T3 Rifts for 3 hours straight and didn't get shit :( Kalandra actually gave me my only slight upgrade. On a side note I can easily do T3 rifts now. Zero deaths technically using using near death experience :)

I need ring of royal grandeur. I can either run full Inna's or Blackthorn. Make it happen Blizzard !!!

FaidSint

This is a super long post full of returning noob questions that I posted to reddit, I was hoping you guys could answer a few for me. I used to be big into the GAF Diablo 3 scene and then fell out, but I was hoping to get the new expansion and get back in but the game has changed so much I barely understand it. Maybe some help?

Hey everyone,

I hope you haven't been getting too many of these posts lately and if some of my questions are answered in some grand FAQ then point away, but I had a few questions to get me back into the game.

I used to play a ton on my Monk and while my gear wasn't amazing, I definitely poached the Auction House for a very viable build that was decent for farming Monster Level 5-ish solo. Now I have some questions before I buy the new expansion now that I've updated my game and want to see how to get back in:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/FaidSint-1586/hero/3019287

Paragon Levels

• There is no longer a cap right?
  • Paragon levels exist on every hero now, are the points you use to level up attributes standard too or can the paragon points be customized per hero?
  • Will a new level 1 hero with 100 paragon levels be super OP, or still feel like a level 1 hero?
  • Since there are a limited number of paragon point slots, does this mean there is a sort of paragon level cap?
  • Does paragon no longer give magic/gold find/stats? If so what are its main advatanges - what do you gain per paragon level?
  • Do you gain paragon XP the same way as regular XP, can you gain both if you are not at the level cap?

Gear

• Did my old gear get nerfed? My build was once viable - was it nerfed so it no longer is viable, is it still viable, or is there just much better gear out there now?
  • Are the same stats desirable now as they were before, should I be chucking anything that's not a high item level with huge DEX/Life on Hit/All Resist, etc for my monk?
  • How has gem crafting changed, without the auction house is it reasonable to fill your sockets with those super mega radiant +150,000% crit damage gems?
  • When I do upgrade to RoS, will my level 60 gear become easily outclassed by level 70 gear I find, or will some 60 gear still be very strong?

Skills
  • Check my Monk build - is this still a reasonable build? What mantra is OP these days? Are the dual generators still the way to go? Is there more variance now in builds then there used to be?

Monster Levels
  • Are monster levels completely gone now?
  • How do the new torment levels/difficulty levels compare to the old inferno?
  • With difficulty "scaling on level" does this mean at level 70 we will be getting equal challenge/drops on Act 1 vs Act 4/5

Games

• Are public games still good to find people to play with?
  • What is the advantage of a clan?
  • Are people still doing Key runs/are hellfire rings still a good end game farming goal?
  • Do keys/organ drops work the same?
  • Has RoS or Patch 2.0 added any other End game item searches?
  • What are legendary crafting?
  • Is crafting viable now, can I craft myself an actual end game armor or weapon?

GAF

• Is there a GAF community/clan I can join?
  • Should I be adding GAF players to my friendslist? (I still have a fair amount from the old days)
  • Does GAF do runs together, if so, what kind of stuff?

Thank everyone so much for even considering this, I know you experts probably hate answering the noob questions over and over but I'm really interested in getting back in and I want to really get familiar with "the new scene", as I really really enjoyed back in the day when I was doing key runs and stuff with some of the best players in NA.

ZenaxPure

Strongarm bracers synergize well with the knockback rune on sprint too, which adds 22% damage to knocked back targets.

Shit man, I didn't even think about this. I have a pair in my bank that are only a .2% dmg and lke .4% toughness downgrade. I am going to give it a try when I log on later.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Paragon Levels

• There is no longer a cap right?
    correct
  • Paragon levels exist on every hero now, are the points you use to level up attributes standard too or can the paragon points be customized per hero?
    yes, and yes
  • Will a new level 1 hero with 100 paragon levels be super OP, or still feel like a level 1 hero?
    it helps a lot, especially if you skill movement speed
  • Since there are a limited number of paragon point slots, does this mean there is a sort of paragon level cap?
    edit: no paragon cap anymore, 800 levels to max out everything besides stats, but main stats can be increased forever
  • Does paragon no longer give magic/gold find/stats? If so what are its main advatanges - what do you gain per paragon level?
    there are now tons of different things you can increase through paragon point. open the window with P ingame
  • Do you gain paragon XP the same way as regular XP, can you gain both if you are not at the level cap?
    you can only gain paragon points at level cap, but you get them the same way as normal level exp

Gear

• Did my old gear get nerfed? My build was once viable - was it nerfed so it no longer is viable, is it still viable, or is there just much better gear out there now?
    it didn't get nerfed, but 2.0 added fresh gear that made most legacy gear irrelevant
  • Are the same stats desirable now as they were before, should I be chucking anything that's not a high item level with huge DEX/Life on Hit/All Resist, etc for my monk?
    crit hit, crit damage, atk spd, dex, loh, all resists are king edit: getting +% element damage gear is great if you can focus on one element
  • How has gem crafting changed, without the auction house is it reasonable to fill your sockets with those super mega radiant +150,000% crit damage gems?
    yes, you will be getting lots of gold and lots of marquise+ gems once you hit 70
  • When I do upgrade to RoS, will my level 60 gear become easily outclassed by level 70 gear I find, or will some 60 gear still be very strong?
    most of your gear will be replaced in ~30 mins

Skills
  • Check my Monk build - is this still a reasonable build? What mantra is OP these days? Are the dual generators still the way to go? Is there more variance now in builds then there used to be?
    there's tons of monk builds now, just mix up your skills and try them out

Monster Levels
  • Are monster levels completely gone now?
    monster levels are still here, but monster power for inferno has been replaced with torment 1-6 (t6 == MP10
  • How do the new torment levels/difficulty levels compare to the old inferno?
    t6 == MP10, check the difficulty page ingame for more information
  • With difficulty "scaling on level" does this mean at level 70 we will be getting equal challenge/drops on Act 1 vs Act 4/5
    yes and no. drops and difficulty are scaled to your character, but different legendaries can drop in different acts edit: act specific legendaries are only in the bounty caches, legendaries that are not "bounty specific" can be found in all acts. torment specific legendaries can only be found in t1 - t6.

Games

• Are public games still good to find people to play with?
    yes, but joining GAF community or GAFMAX clan will help you find games too
  • What is the advantage of a clan?
    you get to hang out with all your GAF buddies
  • Are people still doing Key runs/are hellfire rings still a good end game farming goal?
    hellfire rings are still in, and a lvl 70 one has been added that needs another key from act 4. Raticus says that it's not worth the work for it though right now.
  • Do keys/organ drops work the same?
    yeah, although they will drop more on torment +
  • Has RoS or Patch 2.0 added any other End game item searches?
    adventure mode / bounties / rifts and the search for epic loot
  • What are legendary crafting?
    you craft legendaries
  • Is crafting viable now, can I craft myself an actual end game armor or weapon?
    yep

GAF

• Is there a GAF community/clan I can join?
    yes. community is GAF, and the open clan now is GAFMAX. join community and ask for a GAFMAX officer for an invite
  • Should I be adding GAF players to my friendslist? (I still have a fair amount from the old days)
    sure
  • Does GAF do runs together, if so, what kind of stuff?
    yep, all the time. bounty runs, rift runs, pretty much anything.

hope that covered enough. answers are bolded.

lt519

Whelp just was able to do Act I bounties on Torment IV in a reasonable amount of time with only two deaths when mobs stacked each other. Still takes too long to kill some enemies but god damn the +34Mil XP I got from one bounty was nice.

Probably back to Torment 3 or 2. If anyone wants to do some rift runs let me know. I think I'm gonna go kill Death and try and get the mats for the reapers wraps.

RARBUSTO#1251

Items are dropping like crazy today. Got a set plan as well but not sure how quick ill use it. How do you get the unique items for crafting (not the white items)? Also got an updated infernal machine plan so that will be interesting to see what changed. .

Switched from wiz to wd to change things up. Really got his damage up and I'm set on toughness. Got a really nice pair of bracers and 1h axe that procs seem to link together. Should I Re-roll for strength for my barb eventually since it procs with thorn damages? Also what other changes should I make for Wd? I've shifted and going for a fire build since I have increase fire damage and spell damage increases on equipment that links well for it.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Cell-1973/hero/12553370

Granadier

Paragon cap is not 800, it is endless.
800 will cap everything that can be capped, and past that you only get to put them into primary stat and vitality, but THAT you can do forever.

Yep, thanks for that fix. Edited my post.

I forgot that the stat increases aren't fixed.

Sciz

hope that covered enough. answers are bolded.

A few corrections:

paragon cap is now 800
The soft cap is 800, but levels themselves are uncapped, with all 801+ points going into main stat or vit.

crit hit, crit damage, atk spd, dex, loh, all resists are king
+element and +skill damage are also extremely important now and should be sought out on all potential slots.

yes and no. drops and difficulty are scaled to your character, but different legendaries can drop in different acts
The only act-specific legendaries are those exclusive to bounty bags, all others can drop anywhere.

Sanctuary

Also hooooooooooly shit Barbs fucking suck now, goddamn. Getting mine up to 70, and I understand now why I literally have not seen a single Barb in group play since RoS came out. So incredibly slow. Seems like unless you get the perfect gear for a couple specific builds they're just slow as hell now.

Yep. I leveled mine up to 70 just to see what I could do after a day. Mine is already at 500k and it just feels so damn slow, even taking Sprint or Charge. The classes used to be at little more balanced than they are now, even when you had perma Archon (or WW) or WoTB. Now it just seems like:

Wizard > Witch Doctor <> Demon Hunter = Monk > Barbarian >>> Crusader.

Sounds like they just need to nut up imo. I did not do anything particularly special except stack fire damage (which I wouldn't call going for "specific" items?) and I can crush T3 very fast now (Actually did a few T4 rifts yesterday but I need a bit more dps before I am comfortable with moving there full time). I roll with a 1.2 mil dps frozen orb wizard and we kill stuff about as fast as each other. He can spam more orbs than me, but, both my HoTA and overpower crit for over 13 million a piece so it balances out. I also use 4 level 60 items so I can have perma-ancients. That boosted my dps, but, before that I was just using 50 fury war cry with CDR and had enough fury to do what needed to be done.

None of my current gear even rolled that great either, both of my weapons are under 2k dps, had to sacrifice crit on my hat to get fire damage, my SoJ got really low rolls, etc.

Is this a joke reply? You might not have "the best" gear for that build yet, but it's pretty goddamn good for how long the expansion has been out. Are you serious?

dengatron

chest and legs are where you get your bulk so that you can stack 4+ item slots with perfect trifecta rolls with no toughness. all resist gems in a chest with all resist only gets rid of a %damage for your spender. where as all resist or vitality on gloves neck or rings loses you crit chance or crit hit damage, which effect every skill. good trade imo.

edit: for a crusader obviously. most any other class you can just have no bulk in most slots, especially int users.. fuckin int users..

Slevin

This is probably a super dumb question but I have to ask: has anyone heard about legendary drops rates being bugged between characters?

Until a few days ago legendaries were dropping pretty decently for me. Then I switched from my monk to my DH and lately I've done around 10 T1 adventure runs and around 8 T1 rift runs and not a single legendary has dropped. It's like the buff to rifts drop rate has actually reduced my chances or something. I mean I'm positive I'm just getting extremely unlucky with RNG but I just wanted to ask if there's something I'm doing wrong just in case.

I've tried lowering difficulty to expert and just blazing through killing elite packs as much as possible and still no change.

This is probably a super dumb question but I have to ask: has anyone heard about legendary drops rates being bugged between characters?

Until a few days ago legendaries were dropping pretty decently for me. Then I switched from my monk to my DH and lately I've done around 10 T1 adventure runs and around 8 T1 rift runs and not a single legendary has dropped. It's like the buff to rifts drop rate has actually reduced my chances or something. I mean I'm positive I'm just getting extremely unlucky with RNG but I just wanted to ask if there's something I'm doing wrong just in case.

I've tried lowering difficulty to expert and just blazing through killing elite packs as much as possible and still no change.

Not heard of this. I switched from my wiz to wd recently and the drops have increased , especially today. I think I had 5 legendary items drop within an hour at one point.

I did notice when I changed followers last week from enchantress to scoundrel I started getting a lot of bows and quivers. Anyone else notice this? Before it was mainly staffs, daggers.

Tom Penny

I don't know if it's a glitch but I spent my 50 paragon points on crit damage. Looked at the DPS because wanted to compare attack speed to crit chance. I add points to attack speed and crit chance and it did not raise my DPS. That can't be right.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
So, just got my first follower legendary, was quite happy..until I identified it

I rate it 10/10 on the "Game Design 101 Fail" scale, and will probably use this picture everytime someone claims that the current smartloot system is fine...

They've said they'll be fixing this in an upcoming patch, which doesn't help you but yeah :D

Begaria

That amulet...
why.jpg?

Why didn't you reroll the fire damage to get 15% and instead rerolled the arcane resistance?

Two reasons:

1. What I rerolled was the absolutely useless +monster experience.

2. I'd rather have a bit more resistances than a little extra damage, and that amulet already has a LOT of damage capability.

I'll make up that 5% fire damage I could've gotten by finding a good Magefist. Not everything has to be about maximizing DPS. Personally, I try to strike a balance between offensive and defensive capabilities.

Because your DPS is 0 when you're dead.

Yaari

Got 2 Legendary and 1 Set item from Kadala today, using only 600 Shards. All off-hand, but I now have 3 Chantodo's Force, bleh.

Dahbomb

qwKhLso.png

This Crusader looks pretty bad ass.

Got a Hellcat belt today, rolled a secondary into Lightning Res.. really nice belt for my Monk. DPS went up by like 50K.

Today was also the first time I got a Legendary from Kadala. It was an average Gladiator gauntlets (I think it had a crit value) but I am keeping it in case I need to get some big gold quick.

Was just told that 800k paper dps was too low for T1 rift groups. Ah... multiplayer games.
Probably a bunch of high horse Wizard players.

I can get my paper DPS above 1 million easily right now... I just don't do it because having skill modifiers, high resistances and element modifiers are more important to me. Hell I don't even have any buffs so my DPS is completely unbuffed.

mileS

lol paper dps is useless

We talked about this in guild today. Calling it useless is pretty silly. Might as well call toughness paper completely useless as well, because that's even more random and not very telling of what you can really handle.

When people ask for players for groups, they need a quick number to go off instead of just inspecting your character and deciding for themselves. So 90% of the time they ask for paper dps. Just how it is and always will be for the most part.

There should be a balance really. Paper dmg isn't everything, but neither is +% elemental dmg. Say you have +80% fire dmg, and your paper dps is only 400-500k. The overall dps is still going to be fairly low. You need to strike a balance.

Speaking of this, It kind of makes me laugh seeing people talk about how underpowered the Crusader is when they barely have over 400k dmg. Just about any class with that damage is going to be slow and not able to handle a whole lot advancing in torment levels. Don't get me wrong, I won't argue they aren't underpowered at all, but you can't call them complete shit when you still have the dps that a decently geared level 60 had pre-RoS.

joesmokey

I think I'm completely happy with how my gear is at this point. As I mentioned earlier, I switched to a full lightning build to suit my loot drops rather than wait for the perfect re-roll.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Aeglos7-1318/hero/41640549

I'm not really sure what I could improve on as a full lightning build. I'm taking a decent dps hit with the stun amulet, however I really like the extra CC it provides. It's useful for running T3/T4 and a good break from my tri-fecta yellow amulet. I'm not sure if I should change that +10% cc to +crit dmg though. It's easier to scale +crit dmg in paragon points than crit chance, though amulets can go up to +100% crit dmg so it seems like a wasted slot.

Any thoughts on my gear layout? I actually have a forgotten soul for the first time now where I have no idea what to use it on. I think I'll be sticking with the full lightning build for a long time as it's very fun.

Dahbomb

Toughness IS kinda shit though. My 8 million toughness can go head to head (or most likely out perform) with another person's 15 million toughness if all they did was stack vitality/+% life.

That said paper DPS is still a good ballpark. It's reasonable to say that a 800K unbuffed player can outperform a 1 million DPS character if the 800K character is stacking more +% element/skill bonuses. Of course nowadays even the 1 million DPS characters are stacking those stats so it's hard to tell really. Not to mention the effect of Legendaries... like a Fist of Az dishes out far more DPS than indicated especially in groups.

Sciz

Useful loading screen tip I just saw for the first time:

Shift-clicking the button to allocate paragon points adds them ten at a time.

Granadier

Wow! Thank you so much! I know it is annoying answering noob questions but you don't know how much that means to me. I hope I see you all out there! Gonna be buying the expansion very soon :)

You're very welcome. Once you get your first chart 70 a lot of that stuff will become second nature.

Useful loading screen tip I just saw for the first time:

Shift-clicking the button to allocate paragon points adds them ten at a time.

This was amazing when I found out. So much less clicking!

You're very welcome. Once you get your first chart 70 a lot of that stuff will become second nature.

This was amazing when I found out. So much less clicking!
Lol you knew that if you press alt qhile comparing rings it'll compare the left one? Instead of the right.

The Cowboy

Its so strange, back when i used to play D3 (quite a bit back now) i loved the Bard and was not liking the WD, in RoS i love the WD and i really am not liking the Barb at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom