• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So here's my Guide for Act 5 Split Chest runs. I recommend looking at the doc as it has somewhat better formatting. Probably gonna put in on reddit tomorrow as well.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/167bUhM9GLM-3fNfqVEjGCWjaHHQwApilmEsJsZNrMwo/edit?usp=sharing

NaDannMaGoGo’s Act 5 Split Chest Run

How it works

• Campaign Mode Last Quest, ‘Kill Malthael’
  • Torment 6 Difficulty
  • Your Equipment and Skills should be suited for max. toughness (more importantly mitigation) and mobility
All players split up and run through certain areas thoroughly, openening every chest available. Once everyone is done all players just backtrack to the other areas and check their minimap for legendary drops (star indicators), a process that doesn’t take a lot of time.

This works because chests (and destructibles?) drop items for every player, whether they’re present in the area or not. At Torment 6 the chest drop rate is at its highest.

Benefits
  1. 10-15min runs, no need to constantly restart the game
  2. possibly the currently highest legendary/hour ratio (should be easily around 6-7 per hour on average)
  3. decently fun in comparison to other short chest runs (still less fun than proper play of course)
Areas with a worthwhile chest spawn rate
  1. Westmarch Heights (some chests can be under destructibles)
  2. Passage to Corvus
  3. Ruins of Corvus
  4. Pandemonium Fortress 1
  5. Pandemonium Fortress 2
  6. Abandoned Siege Camp (has no enemies and 2-4 chests)
  7. Paths of the Drowned
Caves in Paths of the Drowned
  • Putrid Hovel (2 easy chests)
  • Wretched Hole (2 easy chests AND turn over Maggot Brood corpse!)
  • Bogan Warren (3 easy chests most of the time)
  • (False) Passages to Corvus (two of these are short with few chests, one is large with many)
  • Winding Cave
  • The Hunters Den (2 Maggot Brood corpses to be turned around)
  • Caverns of Luray 1 (level 2 not worth it)
  • Perilious Cave 1 (level 2 not worth it)
Some more notes and tips

Clear the areas in their entirety, that is, visit every room. There are many rooms that could contain 2, 3 or even 4 chests and make an area worthwhile in the first placet.

The variance of chest numbers per area can be quite huge. So don’t be surprised if an area has deceptively few chests on some runs.

Make use of waypoints. If you ran through one area quickly and have a lot to left discover, it may be worth porting to the waypoint again instead of backtracking by walking.

The ‘Homing Pads’ shoulders that allow you to TP out in battle can prove really useful for this run.

Except for checking all the cave areas in the ‘Path of the Drowned’ you can simply visit each area quickly via waypoint, check the minimap for the legendary star-indicators and move to the next or pick up said legendaries. So this really shouldn’t take long.

Maggot Brood corpses seem to drop as much as chests..

This run works best with 4 players but even when you’re playing alone the drop ratio can be pretty high.

Warning

When running with three or four players the game session can become super buggy if you run through a lot of areas. Because the Corvus dungeons (incl. the fake Passage) and Paths of the Drowned spawn a lot of small enemies and the amount of item drops for 3-4 players is very high as well, there seems to be some kind of overflow issue. When that happens items that are dropped immediately disappear from the ground and entire areas reset, which means you cannot backtrack them.

For that reason, for 3-4 player parties it may be adviced to not do the Paths of the Drowned area and its caves while simulatenously doing the other areas.

---

Thanks to teowind, Killroy and FixateDCraB for running and testing this with me.
I’m be interested in anyone trying this and recording their statistics.

Excellent post! Quoting this for the next page (50ppp!)

Sothpaw

I'm seriously going to call bullshit on this "buffed the drop rate" business.

I'm being honest here, how long is someone expected to sink hours into rift runs and bounties to get their gear up past t1? I have put nearly 50 hours on my character since hitting 70, I'm sitting at 300k dps and I'm just not getting any gear. I STILL have the same yellow:

helm
shoulders
chest
gloves
pants
boots

that I had equipped about 2 hours after hitting 70. I've had no legendaries that are upgrades drop in any of the slots. I'm sorry for being salty about it, but I wouldn't feel so damn bad if there was actually anything I could actively DO about it. It's just rotten luck and after 50 hours of this I'm just ready to give the game a very large, extended break. It sucks when you're not in control over it. I'm not a hardcore player by any means but 50 hours is a long time to sink into a guy with no real upgrades. I've run T2 torment groups with friends for the most part (I'm nowhere near geared enough to do T2, I'm just getting carried).

I'm really just disgusted with the whole thing.

Anyone else have luck this bad?

My luck is equally bad with the same amount of yellows as you, plus a yellow shield and ring. That said, I was able to get to 515K dps and 9M toughness from enchanting my gear.

Tom Penny

I feel your pain, except I've been trying to get the Ring of Royal Grandeur and Coven's Criterion for a week. Neither to show for it yet, though I've gotten 2 (TWO) of the fucking DH coats, not even playing DH. SO MAD.

Is that a total random drop? I need one in my life.

Svafnir

I can't wait till they add tiered rifts and ladders. This game needs some end game competition. Badly.

The addition of new legendaries from those two modes will be nice also.

Dahbomb

I'm going to lose it. I'm so salty. I'm so mad. Act 2 split normal for a week straight and still no gloves

ef3fkR8.jpg

HOW IS THIS FUCKING FAIR
Salty over not getting what you want from exploiting the game? LOL!

Not a single fuck given for people who split farm bounties.

NIN90

Played my Level 70 DH for about 3 hours today. Normal splits and T1 Rifts. Not a single leg or set drop.
Then I decided to casually play on Normal with my Level 35 Monk and proceed to get six leg drops in two hours. Three of them within the first 30 minutes.

Does Blizzard work some drop magic on neglected alt chars or did I anger the RNG gods somehow?

Dahbomb

Split farming bounties is considered an exploit now? lol
Technically yes because you could do similar split farming bounties in the beta and they nerfed/removed that. Don't be surprised if this gets nerfed too. This is even cheesier than chest runs.

It's fine if people want to farm that way but don't complain about RNG when you don't get what you want.

I'm seriously going to call bullshit on this "buffed the drop rate" business.

I'm being honest here, how long is someone expected to sink hours into rift runs and bounties to get their gear up past t1? I have put nearly 50 hours on my character since hitting 70, I'm sitting at 300k dps and I'm just not getting any gear. I STILL have the same yellow:

helm
shoulders
chest
gloves
pants
boots

that I had equipped about 2 hours after hitting 70. I've had no legendaries that are upgrades drop in any of the slots. I'm sorry for being salty about it, but I wouldn't feel so damn bad if there was actually anything I could actively DO about it. It's just rotten luck and after 50 hours of this I'm just ready to give the game a very large, extended break. It sucks when you're not in control over it. I'm not a hardcore player by any means but 50 hours is a long time to sink into a guy with no real upgrades. I've run T2 torment groups with friends for the most part (I'm nowhere near geared enough to do T2, I'm just getting carried).

I'm really just disgusted with the whole thing.

How is this bad luck?

You have 5 solid Legendaries. If anything your Rares aren't good. And your gems aren't upgraded. In addition you do not have socketed pants, another source of DPS among other basic gear issues.

What can you do to improve your DPS without relying on drops? Get higher Paragon levels (you are only 89), upgrade your gems, farm T1 Rifts and use Shards on armor pieces one at a time until you get a solid Rare upgrade for that slot (repeat until your DPS is 600K).

50 hours is nothing in the grand scheme of things. You are comparing your DPS to other people who have spend hundreds of hours in the game. If you want to improve your stats then you have to put In the work. You will see a dramatic improvement by just getting more Paragon points and
upgrading gems to max... by the time you reach P200 you will have plenty of Legendaries and Forgotten Souls.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't had an upgrade for a week now, not a single item that would be good for even a fresh 70. My bad luck is really starting to take its toll on my enjoyment of the game. I also burned 20 Souls and gems today trying to fix my neck with no luck, and now I'm out of Topaz. I keep seeing people in guild chat getting good item after good item while playing less on lower difficulties and it's so frustrating.

Please RNG Jesus, tell me what I did to anger you.

So I get the full Blackthorne set..immune to molten, desacrator, plaugue..

I need to find something that works against frozen (that one amulet that heals would be nice). I dunno what Blizzard was smoking but why they added a dot to frozen that is stronger than the 3 listed and can explode and freeze you (And they can stack on top of that to do insane damage on higher torments) is beyond me.

I've had it happen at least five times now that I open a Rift gate, click my way into it, and then after a long loading screen get a disconnect, has anyone else experienced this? The loss of Rift Fragments bugs me but only just a little, since I prefer doing bounties anyway and probably won't run out anytime soon, but still, it's not really cool to see an in-game resource being wasted like that.

Sciz

I need to find something that works against frozen (that one amulet that heals would be nice). I dunno what Blizzard was smoking but why they added a dot to frozen that is stronger than the 3 listed and can explode and freeze you (And they can stack on top of that to do insane damage on higher torments) is beyond me.

Ice Climbers, if you can find them.

Or play a wizard and use Black Hole-Event Horizon to just eat half of the elite affixes outright every twelve seconds.

Nokterian

That weekend buff did made me happy leveled 2 characters from 60 to 70.

Demon Hunter
Witch Doctor

And i was like this after i dinged 70 on my WD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CPlF-IEkXQ

Yeah and when leveling with a friend in a rift my witch doctor. Had the most insane rift in a longtime. Elite groups and i mean a lot every single time 3 to 4 or even more hell even rift boss being added i was like...

b0e.gif

So.. I really love this game now.

Thoughts and opinions on my DH gear and build at the moment? I am feeling really good about him.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Thacker-1999/hero/17080953

Some things of note however..

I love the fact everything on my DH I have found, crafted or enchanted.

Problem?

I really... really... REALLYYYYYY want a Kridershot. I have absolutely no means of obtaining one unless it drops for me however. I've gambled over 6000 shards to get it and all I've gotten from Kadala are 3 windforces... one of which I am using.

In D2 I could hit up a forum and trade for it.

In D3 I could auction house it.

I am a bit frustrated to be honest... :-/

Wallach

Someone in GAF guild earlier today got a Kridershot, but said it was stupid and Frost Arrow was wack and doesn't work with any build.

>.>

Yeah, that was me. Actually, I said that Frost Arrow was wack unless you were using it with a Buriza. Because Frost Arrow by itself is pretty weak. There's a reason they are okay with turning that skill into a generator.

You guys can laugh and joke all you want, just don't be surprised when Blizzard puts a stop to it.

/shrug

I just find it funny how much what people do with their game bothers people.

Yeah, that was me. Actually, I said that Frost Arrow was wack unless you were using it with a Buriza. Because Frost Arrow by itself is pretty weak. There's a reason they are okay with turning that skill into a generator.

There isn't a better generator than FA with Kridershot. EASILY the best generator. Let me know what DH generator grants you 2m+ crits on ALL mobs it hits.

/shrug

There isn't a better generator than FA with Kridershot. EASILY the best generator. EASILY. Let me know what DH generator grants you 2m+ crits on ALL mobs it hits.

I can't tell if this guy is trolling or not about frost arrow not being good with anything but a buriza.

It's making my head hurt how unappreciative he is of the single best weapon in the game for the demon hunter.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
There isn't a better generator than FA with Kridershot. EASILY the best generator. EASILY. Let me know what DH generator grants you 2m+ crits on ALL mobs it hits.

Yeah, the main benefit of FA is that it splits and hits up to 10 enemies. And those crits get insane real quick.

Having that become a spirit generator just makes the game easy mode.

I can't tell if this guy is trolling or not about frost arrow not being good with anything but a buriza.

It's making my head hurt how unappreciative he is of the single best weapon in the game for the demon hunter.

I doubt it is the single best, but it is one of the best.

Gxgear

Can someone confirm 'Holy skills deal more % damage' works on spells with altered elemental properties from runes? ie. Blessed Hammer with Thunderstruck.

I used to think this way when my toon friends' with similiar hours played, but now I'm coming to the conclusion that I haven't been as efficient with my time spent ingame.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Well this is incredibly disappointing...my half assed WW lightning damage + shard of hate barb is definitely better than my 1.1m dps 11m toughness crusader ;_;

Wallach

Bolas? Especially since, you know, it has fire runes that aren't shit, which is probably the element you're stacking. It's sort of a problem that FA is cold considering there are exactly 2 cold runes on the entire DH class, and one of them is Rapid Fire. So you're pretty fucked on the idea of actually stacking cold damage to improve FA unless you're building around that skill entirely (at which point, again, you are probably going to need a Buriza because you're building around a low base damage skill).

Of course, you may not actually need your generator as much in AoE as you will against single targets or even small groups, where FA even as a generator is going to get blown up by Devouring Arrow on a Buriza. That has a minimum weapon damage per arrow of 585%. And has more than triple the proc value per unit of time. And isn't a fucking cold rune so you could potentially even put together some physical damage setup with a Ninth Cirri which would push the average per-arrow damage over 700% before elemental damage.

Ashodin

Imma have to agree with Wallach here, DH has shit all for Cold runes, and let's be honest, in the day and age of Diablo 3 RoS, stacking % bonuses are the way to outpace your numerical sheet damage.

Dahbomb

Imma have to agree with Wallach here, DH has shit all for Cold runes, and let's be honest, in the day and age of Diablo 3 RoS, stacking % bonuses are the way to outpace your numerical sheet damage.
This is kinda the problem with every class except Wizards really. Monks can really only play Lightning and Fire despite being one of two classes who is supposed to specialize in Holy damage.

/shrug

I have no problem with how people play the game, I have a problem with people coming in and complaining about RNG because their exploit isn't giving them the loot they want.

It's like the "oh no I put in 8 hours today chest farming Core and I didn't get my Thunderfury... better complain about it on the forums!"

You guys wanna know how to not get your exploits hot fixed? Don't talk about it, don't stream it and don't make a video about it. I myself know a few exploits in the game but I am not gonna talk about them and certainly not complain about them not yielding what I want either.

Bolas take way too long to explode unless you get the quiver that makes it instant. Even then I'd still pick FA over it even when I stack Fire gear, use FA to generate and something like Cluster arrow as a dump.

I have no problem with how people play the game, I have a problem with people coming in and complaining about RNG because their exploit isn't giving them the loot they want.

It's like the "oh no I put in 8 hours today chest farming Core and I didn't get my Thunderfury... better complain about it on the forums!"

You guys wanna know how to not get your exploits hot fixed? Don't talk about it, don't stream it and don't make a video about it. I myself know a few exploits in the game but I am not gonna talk about them and certainly not complain about them not yielding what I want either.

People are going to complain about RNG regardless. Again who cares. I read people whining about X,Y,Z all day. Personally I just can't bring myself to care about others and how they play the game whether that be the legit way or the less than legit way. It's an RNG game and people are going to complain they didn't get specific gear. I mean ever stop to think people get tired of people whining about others "exploiting"?

zzz

Made my wiz go fire and going nuts with Heat Wave...so fun. Up to 81% fire damage bonus, need some magefist gloves.

Welcome to the club sir. Your membership card is in the mail.

Ice Climbers, if you can find them.

Or play a wizard and use Black Hole-Event Horizon to just eat half of the elite affixes outright every twelve seconds.

I already do that and I do run duplicates too for more cc/clear and helping keep my party members alive especially on higher torments. I just don't like how they keep adding unavoidable damage, which makes it the highest level of difficulties a gear check. This is especially true for t4 and up, where you can do fine with smart play and positioning but then you run into unavoidable stuff that will take chunks out of you no matter what.

TheYanger

Can someone confirm 'Holy skills deal more % damage' works on spells with altered elemental properties from runes? ie. Blessed Hammer with Thunderstruck.

I used to think this way when my toon friends' with similiar hours played, but now I'm coming to the conclusion that I haven't been as efficient with my time spent ingame.

That's the opposite of how + elemental damage affixes work.
With thunderstruck, your Blessed Hammer becomes Lightning in nature and no longer deals holy damage. This is basiaclly the primary source of build diversity in 2.0

Whatever the typeline below the name of the ability shows when you put that rune on, that's what it is dealing, that and that alone.

Got 3 legs from Kadala yesterday day including my first not Blackthorne or shitty ring set item with a Chantodo source. For some reason though it had 3 secondary stats. Is that a bug?

Dahbomb

Got 3 legs from Kadala yesterday day including my first not Blackthorne or shitty ring set item with a Chantodo source. For some reason though it had 3 secondary stats. Is that a bug?
Nah some Legendaries can have 5 primary affixes or 3 secondary affixes. Like the Magefists for example.

There's a Crusader shield that has 9 total affixes. LMAO!

lexi

Banned
You guys can laugh and joke all you want, just don't be surprised when Blizzard puts a stop to it.

I don't even do split bounties. I did it once and found it boring, I just don't care if people do.

I do bounties and rifts on Torment 3, I enjoy the the game itself immensely.

Enjoying the XP weekend so far. Just picked this up last night, just when I was ready to put the good steed in its stable.

20140406_183414.jpg

"Doubles the duration of Steed Charge."

"Bearers of this flail ride like the wind when they call upon their celestial steed. This fact may cause extreme envy when used around horseless nephalem."

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I should probably level my 61 DH. I have a Buriza, Cloak of Deception and plans+mats for a legendary quiver just sitting there. Is Buriza considered one of the better DH bows?

Dahbomb

I don't even do split bounties. I did it once and found it boring, I just don't care if people do.

Same here. I don't care how people play the game, I just get tired of people complaining about stuff they get after split farming or chest runs.

I normally just do Rifts and do Bounties just to get enough Fragments for like 2-3 hours worth of Rift runs. I enjoy Rifts and I am OK with Bounties too. I honestly don't even find Bounties THAT rewarding... at least not after the buff to Rifts. After 100 caches you get like 5-6 Legendaries... the amount of time it takes to get that many Caches I can just play Rifts and get that many Legendaries in 2-3 hours plus EXP and Shards.

Sothpaw

Yea I play on T1 which is perfect for my gear level. What is the point of chest farming/split farming? Get the gear you want from doing something that's not fun so you can be be done with the game?

Enjoying the XP weekend so far. Just picked this up last night, just when I was ready to put the good steed in its stable.

20140406_183414.jpg

"Doubles the duration of Steed Charge."

"Bearers of this flail ride like the wind when they call upon their celestial steed. This fact may cause extreme envy when used around horseless nephalem."

I got this one lvl 69... Still use it as its hilarious with the 3 sec rune just for the horse sound and make my friend run after me in open areas haha but the other day I got the 2 hands that create 2 additional sky's fury rays so the pony thing is still in the inventory for when it's needed haha

traveler

Not Wario
I don't think every class should be able to build every element, but I do think every class should be able to do 3 - 4 and not just 1 or 2. Crusaders have the foundation to eventually be able to do physical, holy, lightning, and fire with some tweaking and building, and I think that's fine, so long as Blizz changes some runes in support of this.

The other end of it needs to come in itemization, not just rune design. As touched on earlier, fire just seems far and away the best element in a vacuum, with lightning clearly second thanks to its numerous procs. I know they've said they want to add more legendaries to the game via patches, so I think adding some additional support for the other elements should be one of their first goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom