• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

I split farm bounties so I get more fragments for Rifts since I go through so many of them and because I want so many of the bounty bag Legendaries anyway. Plus, it's a nice way to just kill time while waiting for people to log on. If nobody is on, I'd still do them the same way just by myself so it's really just an added bonus when like only one other person is on.

Plus, it lets me feel like a god when I mow through Normal content.

Same here. I don't care how people play the game, I just get tired of people complaining about stuff they get after split farming or chest runs.

I normally just do Rifts and do Bounties just to get enough Fragments for like 2-3 hours worth of Rift runs. I enjoy Rifts and I am OK with Bounties too. I honestly don't even find Bounties THAT rewarding... at least not after the buff to Rifts. After 100 caches you get like 5-6 Legendaries... the amount of time it takes to get that many Caches I can just play Rifts and get that many Legendaries in 2-3 hours plus EXP and Shards.

I've generally found bounties superior for XP, due to the fairly significant amount you get for turning in each of the five bounties across an act. It's added up a lot quicker than the XP I've gotten from rifts which, in my experience, have too often been sparsely populated and labyrinthine in nature. I don't see much of a reason to do them aside from shards, even considering the buff.

Vade

Bolas take way too long to explode unless you get the quiver that makes it instant. Even then I'd still pick FA over it even when I stack Fire gear, use FA to generate and something like Cluster arrow as a dump.

If you have all fire + pieces and you have your instant bola quiver then bola is better, but unless you have that near perfect gear, FA is better because cluster arrow is hands down the best hate drop there is and is buffed by cinder to a broken tier.

Gxgear

That's the opposite of how + elemental damage affixes work.
With thunderstruck, your Blessed Hammer becomes Lightning in nature and no longer deals holy damage. This is basiaclly the primary source of build diversity in 2.0

Whatever the typeline below the name of the ability shows when you put that rune on, that's what it is dealing, that and that alone.

So + holy skill is equivalent to + elemental damage? That's disappointing to hear.

Edit: so I did a little searching on the bnet forums, and it seems to suggest that Blessed Hammer with Thunderstruck would still benefit from + holy, since Thunderstruck doesn't convert the spell into lightning, but rather deals additional lightning damage from the arcs.

Dahbomb

I've generally found bounties superior for XP, due to the fairly significant amount you get for turning in each of the five bounties across an act. It's added up a lot quicker than the XP I've gotten from rifts which, in my experience, have too often been sparsely populated and labyrinthine in nature. I don't see much of a reason to do them aside from shards, even considering the buff.
I meant split farming normal Bounties but you are right, Bounties should give more EXP if you do same difficulty as Rifts.

If you have all fire + pieces and you have your instant bola quiver then bola is better, but unless you have that near perfect gear, FA is better because cluster arrow is hands down the best hate drop there is and is buffed by cinder to a broken tier.

There in lies the problem. Bola is better once you get FA gear. My DH, which I haven't played much only has 320k damage with no elemental gear and my FAs crit for 2m+ (this I just tested a few minutes ago...and even got some legs!), my bolas only hit for 600k if I'm lucky. It takes stacking fire to outdo FA. Thus in my opinion FA is much better since I don't have to stack fire to make it viable. I personally don't even use fire builds with my DH, nowadays I spam twin chakrams along with FA, FoK, Vengeance and Smoke Screen. Which means bolas and it's delayed explosion mechanic is completely worthless to me. Sorry but bolas sucks complete ass, I've had that shit on my action bar once and immediately realized what a mistake that was. The notion that it's better than FA as a generator is crazy talk.

So yea FA > Bola as a hatred generator. That and combined with contagion and cull the weak, I can mow down entire armies before they ever reach me. And it's much more hatred efficient since one FA can hit 11 mobs (main enemy then 10 others after it splinters) without reduction in damage.

Got gloves of worship just in time for them to be patched. Oh well, they are still nice.

I am having terrible luck trying to get a chest piece with some all resist for a TR monk build to see if I can run on T1. Other than that, drops have been pretty good.

Edit: has anyone else had problems with demonic vessels in Rifts? I opened a bunch and got literally nothing from any of them.

Tom Penny

Apparently attack speed is overrated. I was trying to roll my damage modifier on this to crit damage

I got 6% AIS and was happy..my DPS went down..millions down the drain..I guess crit damage reigns supreme. I will get eventually.

scy

Be an optimist, and be happy for your forgotten souls!

I just throw my shitty Legendaries on the ground for people I'm running rifts with. I have nearly 150 Souls now so what's the point if nothing drops for me to reroll to use :(

LowParry

I just throw my shitty Legendaries on the ground for people I'm running rifts with. I have nearly 150 Souls now so what's the point if nothing drops for me to reroll to use :(

Roll another character? Reroll a stat for that character? Work for Blizz?

Speaking of such, You, Ash, Dreams and I need to get another group going. And continue dropping those legs for us pls.

Amongst people I play with we always pass around new legendaries so people can all get the Xmog for it.

Dahbomb

I just throw my shitty Legendaries on the ground for people I'm running rifts with. I have nearly 150 Souls now so what's the point :(
People should be doing that anyway for Transmog.

I would still Soul the item. You never really know when you might get that nice Legendary and you need to roll a property on it. Could end up taking 25-30 rolls. Plus at end game you would want the Souls to get that crit chance from 5 to 6 for example (ie. min/maxing).

Also is it me or is the new Monk set kinda has an underwhelming 5 set effect. 100% damage for every time you teleport... and if you are using that set then you are probably only getting that effect off when you use Epiphany or Fist of Thunder. I would honestly just get the 4 piece bonus for the Lightning damage.

And Ancient Parthan Defenders sound kinda OP for Lightning Monk.

Been hoping for a better weapon. Got this just now:

WufKs0l.png

scy

Roll another character? Reroll a stat for that character? Work for Blizz?

Work for Blizz? I think that's 200 Souls required.

Speaking of such, You, Ash, Dreams and I need to get another group going. And continue dropping those legs for us pls.

Probably still going for a few hours so I'll send an invite if a spot or two frees up.

People should be doing that anyway for Transmog.

I would still Soul the item. You never really know when you might get that nice Legendary and you need to roll a property on it. Could end up taking 25-30 rolls. Plus at end game you would want the Souls to get that crit chance from 5 to 6 for example (ie. min/maxing).

Yeah, we drop it at least for the Transmogs.

And I know I'll need an infinite number of souls eventually but like ... most people I'm with could use them more than me right now so I might as well. I'll eventually get more when I do need them so it's just a better deal to me to give it to them.

Dreavus

Work for Blizz? I think that's 200 Souls required.

Probably still going for a few hours so I'll send an invite if a spot or two frees up.

Yeah, we drop it at least for the Transmogs.

And I know I'll need an infinite number of souls eventually but like ... most people I'm with could use them more than me right now so I might as well. I'll eventually get more when I do need them so it's just a better deal to me to give it to them.

If it's people you regularly play with, then you can just think of it as making the whole group better/more efficient. Lets your groups push the higher difficulties that much sooner if you can help your mates improve.

If it's for pubs, then you're just being a stand up guy. I can definitely get behind that too!

joesmokey

Two different set pieces today and both were duplicate Blackthorne pants and belt.

I think it's time to stop playing for awhile until they fix this "smart" loot. I know RNG is going to RNG, but with how many various set pieces there are, there is no reason I should have 3xVyr's Gauntlets, 2xBlackthorne pants, and 2x Blackthorne belts.

valeo

Two different set pieces today and both were duplicate Blackthorne pants and belt.

I think it's time to stop playing for awhile until they fix this "smart" loot. I know RNG is going to RNG, but with how many various set pieces there are, there is no reason I should have 3xVyr's Gauntlets, 2xBlackthorne pants, and 2x Blackthorne belts.

Yeah there is - cause RNG.

Wallach

There in lies the problem. Bola is better once you get FA gear. My DH, which I haven't played much only has 320k damage with no elemental gear and my FAs crit for 2m+ (this I just tested a few minutes ago...and even got some legs!), my bolas only hit for 1.2m if I'm lucky. It takes stacking fire to outdo FA. Thus in my opinion FA is much better since I don't have to stack fire to make it viable. I personally don't even use fire builds with my DH, nowadays I spam twin chakrams along with FA, FoK, Vengeance and Smoke Screen. Which means bolas and it's delayed explosion mechanic is completely worthless to me.

So yea FA > Bola as a hatred generator. That and combined with contagion and cull the weak, I can mow down entire armies before they ever reach me. And it's much more hatred efficient since one FA can hit 11 mobs (main enemy then 10 others after it splinters) without reduction in damage.

The problem is that once you start getting good gear you have to stack some kind of elemental damage. Those 2M crits really aren't much and they're only going to get better with increases in your base damage, because you don't have a good reason to stack cold damage. Whether it's lightning, or fire or physical you have to go in some direction eventually to really push your overall DPS profile up, and none of it will bring FA up with it.

That's why I wasn't interested when it dropped earlier. I am at the point where I can't really make this very useful. Even lightning bolas in my Ricochet build will perform far better because of the Buriza since they can explode up to 3 times, and I keep the pierce effect for Ricochet. The proposition is even worse in the physical direction with something like CA - Shooting Stars/Ballistics, because there Devouring Arrow will both deal absolutely stupid damage and can also give you the option to restore Hatred far better through Mortal Enemy. Or give you way better Nightstalker returns in a Preparation cycling build.

It's just not a weapon that grows in value with gear in the way the Buriza pierce or Calamity MoD will. That's not a problem BIS weapons have.

scy

If it's people you regularly play with, then you can just think of it as making the whole group better/more efficient. Lets your groups push the higher difficulties that much sooner if you can help your mates improve.

If it's for pubs, then you're just being a stand up guy. I can definitely get behind that too!

I pretty much just play with friends / random GAF people.

mileS

Alright I gotta respond to this. If this is honestly how you feel, you might as well do yourself a favor and stop playing now. The loot system is not changing anytime soon, it is what it is now. And what it is, is a hell of a lot better than what it was.

I've seen your posts linking all the items you got and what not. For the time you put in the game, you're ahead of quite a few people gear wise. Hell you already have some of the best items that most wizards would kill for. When you get to a certain point its going to take a while to find an upgrade, it's just how this game works. I also hope you realize there are some people out there that have been playing a hell of a lot more than you and have yet to see a set piece.

Totakeke

I like frost arrow because it slows, because it's easy to hit multiple mobs, because it tells you where the mobs are off screen, and it works well with fan of knives. I do have buriza plus the bola quiver, but imminent doom bolas feels kind of underwhelming due to the lack of CC and you have to aim well.

But that's probably because my primary damage comes from FoK than anything else. Frost Arrow + Cluster Arrows feels kind of off too.

Was farming T3 rifts with my group earlier....then killed the Rift guardian and blood shards popped out. And when I got near, the blood shards kept bouncing up and down.

That's when I realized that there's a max limit of 500 shards.

Xevren

Was farming T3 rifts with my group earlier....then killed the Rift guardian and blood shards popped out. And when I got near, the blood shards kept bouncing up and down.

That's when I realized that there's a max limit of 500 shards.

I still don't get why they capped it at that, but yeah that was surprising when it happened to me too.

Shouta

Man, seriously. Thunderfury + Nephaelem Glory Orbs are really awesome automatic AOE, lol. That's what I'm using on my Crusader currently and I'm surprised how effective it is with the orbs Lv. 3 effect lasting 2 minutes or so.

ElyrionX

So here's my Guide for Act 5 Split Chest runs. I recommend looking at the doc as it has somewhat better formatting. Probably gonna put in on reddit tomorrow as well.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/167bUhM9GLM-3fNfqVEjGCWjaHHQwApilmEsJsZNrMwo/edit?usp=sharing

NaDannMaGoGo’s Act 5 Split Chest Run

How it works

• Campaign Mode Last Quest, ‘Kill Malthael’
  • Torment 6 Difficulty
  • Your Equipment and Skills should be suited for max. toughness (more importantly mitigation) and mobility
All players split up and run through certain areas thoroughly, openening every chest available. Once everyone is done all players just backtrack to the other areas and check their minimap for legendary drops (star indicators), a process that doesn’t take a lot of time.

This works because chests (and destructibles?) drop items for every player, whether they’re present in the area or not. At Torment 6 the chest drop rate is at its highest.

Benefits
  1. 10-15min runs, no need to constantly restart the game
  2. possibly the currently highest legendary/hour ratio (should be easily around 6-7 per hour on average)
  3. decently fun in comparison to other short chest runs (still less fun than proper play of course)
Areas with a worthwhile chest spawn rate
  1. Westmarch Heights (some chests can be under destructibles)
  2. Passage to Corvus
  3. Ruins of Corvus
  4. Pandemonium Fortress 1
  5. Pandemonium Fortress 2
  6. Abandoned Siege Camp (has no enemies and 2-4 chests)
  7. Paths of the Drowned
Caves in Paths of the Drowned
  • Putrid Hovel (2 easy chests)
  • Wretched Hole (2 easy chests AND turn over Maggot Brood corpse!)
  • Bogan Warren (3 easy chests most of the time)
  • (False) Passages to Corvus (two of these are short with few chests, one is large with many)
  • Winding Cave
  • The Hunters Den (2 Maggot Brood corpses to be turned around)
  • Caverns of Luray 1 (level 2 not worth it)
  • Perilious Cave 1 (level 2 not worth it)
Some more notes and tips

Clear the areas in their entirety, that is, visit every room. There are many rooms that could contain 2, 3 or even 4 chests and make an area worthwhile in the first placet.

The variance of chest numbers per area can be quite huge. So don’t be surprised if an area has deceptively few chests on some runs.

Make use of waypoints. If you ran through one area quickly and have a lot to left discover, it may be worth porting to the waypoint again instead of backtracking by walking.

The ‘Homing Pads’ shoulders that allow you to TP out in battle can prove really useful for this run.

Except for checking all the cave areas in the ‘Path of the Drowned’ you can simply visit each area quickly via waypoint, check the minimap for the legendary star-indicators and move to the next or pick up said legendaries. So this really shouldn’t take long.

Maggot Brood corpses seem to drop as much as chests..

This run works best with 4 players but even when you’re playing alone the drop ratio can be pretty high.

Warning

When running with three or four players the game session can become super buggy if you run through a lot of areas. Because the Corvus dungeons (incl. the fake Passage) and Paths of the Drowned spawn a lot of small enemies and the amount of item drops for 3-4 players is very high as well, there seems to be some kind of overflow issue. When that happens items that are dropped immediately disappear from the ground and entire areas reset, which means you cannot backtrack them.

For that reason, for 3-4 player parties it may be adviced to not do the Paths of the Drowned area and its caves while simulatenously doing the other areas.

---

Thanks to teowind, Killroy and FixateDCraB for running and testing this with me.
I’m be interested in anyone trying this and recording their statistics.

Thanks for this. It's awesome. Will give it a shot tonight.

joesmokey

Alright I gotta respond to this. If this is honestly how you feel, you might as well do yourself a favor and stop playing now. The loot system is not changing anytime soon, it is what it is now. And what it is, is a hell of a lot better than what it was.

I've seen your posts linking all the items you got and what not. For the time you put in the game, you're ahead of quite a few people gear wise. Hell you already have some of the best items that most wizards would kill for. When you get to a certain point its going to take a while to find an upgrade, it's just how this game works. I also hope you realize there are some people out there that have been playing a hell of a lot more than you and have yet to see a set piece.
For the record, I don't think there have been many people playing as many hours as I have since 2.0 hit :).

The loot system is definitely better than it was, but you get to a point with your gear where the only way to really improve it is by getting set bonuses. Outside of that, things are either side grades to support different play styles or things that are used for forgotten souls. It's why I decided to completely drop frozen orb and become a lightning wizard. It is fun to be able to switch gear like that when it wasn't really an option before.

I want to start pushing T4/5 solo though and that is very hard to do without some of the easy +500 set bonuses you receive. Sure, I'm a lot farther along than most people at being able to handle T3 content. However, I like progression and that's my main driving factor. I'm not looking for the 'ultimate' gear piece when I am farming. I'm looking for that gear piece that will allow me to keep going to higher torment difficulty levels. A lot of that still may need to be balanced out by Blizzard. It doesn't mean that I can't complain every once in awhile when I keep getting duplicate loot of already rare drops :).

Anyone have some tips on farming gems? I need a fuckton of topaz in order to try and reroll the stats on a few items and they just. arent. dropping.

I'm literally getting AT LEAST double of all the other gems. I've been keeping track over the last 5 hours of playing. I've found...

5 marquise topaz \ 1 imperial topaz
12 marquise amethyst
14 marquise ruby
14 marquise diamond
13 marquise emerald \ 1 imperial emerald

It's like the game KNOWS which ones I need....

ASTROID2

Anyone have some tips on farming gems? I need a fuckton of topaz in order to try and reroll the stats on a few items and they just. arent. dropping.

I'm literally getting AT LEAST double of all the other gems. I've been keeping track over the last 5 hours of playing. I've found...

12 marquise amethyst
14 marquise ruby
14 marquise diamond

Damn wish I had that luck.

joesmokey

12 marquise amethyst
14 marquise ruby
14 marquise diamond

Chests, goblins, bounty bags, and rift bosses are the only reliable ways I've found to obtain more gems. T1 farming core was great for this as there were plenty of chests/vessels and frequent goblins.

You could try resplendent chest farming as they pretty commonly drop gems. Just go to adventure mode and search for any 'Clear' bounties. Resplendent chests will (almost?) always spawn on the level 2 zones. That said I also do not have many topaz gems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom