• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElyrionX

Yeah I don't see how this would be worth running solo. Arreat Core had 7 chests on average each run which took under a minute to clear and that yielded 5-7 leg/hr. These areas are unlikely to have the same chest density and would also have randomised layouts and would take longer to clear. I would assume this only works if you do it with a full stack of 4 players.

If anyone is down to try this, do add me. I'm in the Americas region. Battletag is ElyrionX#6495.

The thing is, you don't have to do the god darn annoying, constant restarting of the game. Repeatedly leaving and resuming takes like half the time and is the least fun I've had doing sth. in D3.

And if you're quick enough 4-5 chests/min shouldn't too hard to come by. Especially when you run the Paths of the Drowned area, which I recommend when going solo. Also the Areat Core run doesn't exist anymore or ain't viable at least.

I've uploaded the skills and item build of my DH to the doc at the bottom.

Gonna post em here once too, but I'm not intending to keep updating both the doc and on NeoGAF.

FX3oh8o.png

5Hq381h.jpg

Edit: Wrong rune for Preparation actually. Focused mind works better.

Yeah I don't see how this would be worth running solo. Arreat Core had 7 chests on average each run which took under a minute to clear and that yielded 5-7 leg/hr. These areas are unlikely to have the same chest density and would also have randomised layouts and would take longer to clear. I would assume this only works if you do it with a full stack of 4 players.

Well you still get a lot of chests in a run if you go solo, so I'd say it's still viable. Compared to Arreat Core it'll probably yield about the same legs with a full group, but it's also a lot more varied an not as mind meltingly boring as it actually needs you to pay attention to what you're doing.

ElyrionX

The thing is, you don't have to do the god darn annoying, constant restarting of the game. Repeatedly leaving and resuming takes like half the time and is the least fun I've had doing sth. in D3.

And if you're quick enough 4-5 chests/min shouldn't too hard to come by. Especially when you run the Paths of the Drowned area, which I recommend when going solo. Also the Areat Core run doesn't exist anymore or ain't viable at least.

I've uploaded the skills and item build of my DH to the doc at the bottom.

Gonna post em here once too, but I'm not intending to keep updating both the doc and on NeoGAF.

Yeah fair point. Will give this a shot solo tonight and see how that goes. I've been doing abandoned siege camp runs and that yields 2-3 leg/hr which is too low.

Won

Patch notes sound like a decent start. Some damage values on Crusader skill were just wtf. I mean 14%? My skills! The runes do nothing!

Still, I want to see more options for Wrath generation across the skills and passives more than anything else.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
So uh no fix to crusader wrath gen, wrath costs, adding the needed 30%DR (elemntal murders us) or the removal of the movement speed penalty on heavenly strength?

Grr

If those changes hold true, nothing really changes with my crusader. Im better off playing with my wizard.

I'm surprised at the popularity of things like chest runs not going to lie.

Don't be.

All players strive to efficiency, especially in the long run. So your goal as a game developer is to ensure to the best of your abilities that the fun gameplay mechanics are also the most efficient ones.

Chest runs have always been one of these very efficient but unfortunately low fun ways.

Of course you can tell a person "it's stupid doing something less fun just because it's more efficient." The problem is, even while that rings true, the players brain still tells him "fuck man, this is fun and all but... we also want really good loot right? And in order to that, the OTHER way is more efficient man.!"

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Don't be.

All players strive to efficiency, especially in the long run. So your goal as a game developer is to ensure to the best of your abilities that the fun gameplay mechanics are also the most efficient ones.

Chest runs have always been one of these very efficient but unfortunately low fun ways.

Of course you can tell a person "it's stupid doing something less fun just because it's more efficient." The problem is, even while that rings true, the players brain still tells him "fuck man, this is fun and all but... we also want really good loot right? And in order to that, the OTHER way is more efficient man.!"

Am I missing something, or would the obvious change for Blizzard be to nerf chest drop rates and make elites/bosses more likely to drop Legendaries? That way you'd have to be able to actually, y'know, play the content to gear up. I'm not really getting why chests>monsters for drops. Seems like a bad design choice.

Re: Patch notes, while more damage for Crusaders is nice, it doesn't address the issue of bad passives and wrath regen. Movement penalty on Heavenly Strength is dumb and makes me feel like I'm perpetually late to the party in group play because I'm always lagging behind. Our defensive passives aren't as good as Barbs, who get a crazy 20% damage reduction on elemental attacks on top of passive 30% mitigation at all times. While crusaders get... 5%. And a bunch of shields with low block values, unless you use Coven's Criterion. And we need WAY more types of elemental runes. Holy Shock physical damage, come on.

Svafnir

Am I missing something, or would the obvious change for Blizzard be to nerf chest drop rates and make elites/bosses more likely to drop Legendaries? That way you'd have to be able to actually, y'know, play the content to gear up. I'm not really getting why chests>monsters for drops. Seems like a bad design choice.

Not a design choice. With reaper of souls items drop less often but they have a higher chance of being rare or legendary than pre expansion when you were drowning in blues and everything dropped loot.

However. Chests always drop loot, this means overall chests have a higher chance at loot than monsters.

Basically items drop less often now from monsters, but chests always drop, so they end up having the highest chance at legendaries.

I dont believe monsters and chests have a different chance to drop legendaries when they do drop an item. I imagine the same calculation takes place when a monster drops an item and a chest, just those chests always drop.

Feel like I'm bein redundant, but I'm tired and wanted my point to make sense.

Ksleeptime

Trickster

If there's one thing you can count on with blizzards D3 dev team. It's that a lot of the shit they do doesnt make sense at all.

I just see chest runs as the same as the auction hall. The fastest most effective way to circumvent the actual playing of the game.

I have a feeling chest runs are exclusively run by the most hardcore people which means the cross-over of people strongly against the auction hall is probably huge. Starting to think the auction hall blow back was less about the 'game being ruined' and more about everyone being on a level playing field because of gold.

Oh well, I'll continue to enjoy playing the game and do my own thing. I'm not in a race or competition with anyone.

@Noray

Well on a first sight, yeh, that's a way to go about it. But there's a reason chests are in the game in the first place. It's this smaller bounty you get every now and then that doesn't need fighting, is a difference source for drops/something to look forward too and rather enriches the experience when you get them here and there while fighting.

The problem is, that they can be abused in a way, like these chest runs do. And then it's the question what's the best to go about it. Currently they just remove the amounts of chests / lower the drop rate etc.
They do that instead of buffing the drop rates from everything else (I mean they did slightly now but yeh) because the drop rate for everything else is the standard they want to have.

They want chests to still be useful but not abusable. That's kinda what you want to achieve with pretty much all gameplay mechanics. But it's actually really hard to come by for everything.

In my opinion the Cemetary area was more fun to run through when there was a bunch of chests available. Just removing them certainly rather lessens the fun of everyone who plays normal, which is what you want the least. But you also cannot just go and buff rifts and bounties by insane amounts to the point where the legendary drop rates are so skewed that e.g. end game issues arise much earlier.

I think one of the more simply and obvious solutions for these split runs in particular is... allow chests to only drop for players that are actually around. I mean, that pretty much doesn't negatively impact normal gameplay at all.

Oh well, I'll continue to enjoy playing the game and do my own thing. I'm not in a race or competition with anyone.

This is what it's all about and it seemingly can't be said enough. I for one love m*nm*xing and find a value in trying to find ways to be efficient in reaching my goals - that is one way for me to enjoy the game.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I caved, just feels like a gaming drought.
Got my Monk from 60 to 70 and piggbacked some Rifts, got 5? legendaries.

What viable Monk builds are there for speed and then for regular farming? Is it still just crit + lightning tornadoes?

DSmalls84

Crusader buff definitely fixes some of the problems. Lowered cooldown on the steed was a much needed mobility buff, and the buff to the Blessed Hammer fire rune is also something I will probably use. Interested to try Fist of the Heavens as well. Until now it was a pretty much a cool looking skill that was garbage. A little disappointed slash didn't get altered, as it feels pretty weak.

bcl0328

What is great is they buffed instead of nurf. Assuming there are no hidden changes.

I wonder why the Monk got no love.

do they even need any? i watched a guy stream his monk on torment 4, who can easily farm torment 6, just zip around the screen, pulling in every mob and just blowing them up in seconds. seems to me they are the most mobile class with shit tons of damage. what is the issue?

do they even need any? i watched a guy stream his monk on torment 4, who can easily farm torment 6, just zip around the screen, pulling in every mob and just blowing them up in seconds. seems to me they are the most mobile class with shit tons of damage. what is the issue?

It could always be faster :)

ParityBit

I have not played my monks in ages. Since Version 1.0! But I have been seeing lots of Monks complaining, and I played all weekend and only saw a handful. Mostly Crusaders and Wizards. So I assumed they needed something.

Man, rerolling on the Mystic is a dirty business. I just rerolled a +EXP stat and for 5 consecutive rolls, it was nothing but various +EXP stats. Wtf? Has there been any clarification on what "pool" of stats are available to be rerolled? I assume secondary stats can't roll in primary and primary can'r roll in secondary slots? Is there a table of primary and secondary stats?

Oh well, I am sure there are people way deeper in reroll hell then me. God damn RNG.

MegaPanda

Man, rerolling on the Mystic is a dirty business. I just rerolled a +EXP stat and for 5 consecutive rolls, it was nothing but various +EXP stats. Wtf? Has there been any clarification on what "pool" of stats are available to be rerolled? I assume secondary stats can't roll in primary and primary can'r roll in secondary slots? Is there a table of primary and secondary stats?

Oh well, I am sure there are people way deeper in reroll hell then me. God damn RNG.

There's a little button with a question mark beside the affix. It'll show you what it can be re-rerolled in to

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

When you hit the question mark on the right of the stat in the mystic, it will tell you what stats it will roll to and the ranges

As a warning... Clicking the question mark and then clicking the bar of another stat won't appropriately update the window

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Well shit, I realized only at the Adria fight that I had it automatically skipping cutscenes.

Right now I'm using a blue mace that rolled twice as high as any rare or legendary. I wish it was holy type instead of arcade, but I won't argue with that kind of power behind it. Shame you can't enchant blue items.

lt519

Nice to see frenzy buffed 35% :) that's my main attack.

Nice waking up to see my dmg will go from 500+ to 650+ at max frenzy!

They need more build variety / elemental runes. Would be nice if they improved FoT to not suck as well!

The Cowboy

Happy to see some buffs to the WD's signature skills.
Shame they didn't give LS a chance to crit per tick change (this is really needed for any dots IMO), but that Haunt change is fantastic.i currently run with LS and creeping death due to my Quetzalcoatl mask, but i may swap it to haunt due to the new mana cost/damage increase.

In saying the above, I'm not so sure i like the changes, Reading them it looks like it just made certain other spells not worth taking at all (the burning/leaping spiders change for example, is crazy powerful now).

Geoff9920

Don't really know a lot about crusaders. But wouldn't it be possible to just switch that ability out with one of the hundred abilities getting buffs ? :p
Not in this case. There's a build built around a weapon named flail of the fell which as the special affix to give you two additional rays of heavens fury. When used with the fires of heaven rune, you get a 40 wrath cost shotgun with a very high amount of burst damage.

I caved, just feels like a gaming drought.
Got my Monk from 60 to 70 and piggbacked some Rifts, got 5? legendaries.

What viable Monk builds are there for speed and then for regular farming? Is it still just crit + lightning tornadoes?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/prodystopian-1605/hero/29104444

My build is pretty standard w/o tempest rush. Some people prefer the fire rune on LTK, and some people like cyclone strike. Epiphany - Inner Fire is very good.

Clicking mobs to death isn't intellectually stimulating fun either. Just let it be guys.

? That's the best part about this game. Gameplay is tight, and experimenting with new characters and builds is great.

If all you guys want to do is play dress-up you could save yourselves a lot of time and just go buy some Barbies.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Mmmm dem crusader buffs in the patch notes. I've been using Combust blessed shield on my fire build crusader and it got a very nice buff.

Arkanius

I don't use Falling Sword in my build. I find it quite lackluster.
But I could start using it I guess. Isn't Move Speed quite a big deal for us Crusaders? We are slow as a tank.

EDIT:

Re-rolled movespeed for 3 sockets. Will improve my Diamonds now to put them there

ViviOggi

I don't use Falling Sword in my build. I find it quite lackluster.
But I could start using it I guess. Isn't Move Speed quite a big deal for us Crusaders? We are slow as a tank.

MS will never change that as Heavenly Strength kicks in last. You could have +50% from items and Paragon and still end up with +10%. It's a load of shit and I'm flabbergasted that they've touched neither HS nor any of the Wrath generators, but tought it would be a good idea to nerf one of the Crusader's handful of great skills.

Arkanius

MS will never change that as Heavenly Strength kicks in last. You could have +50% from items and Paragon and still end up with +10%. It's a load of shit and I'm flabbergasted that they've touched neither HS nor any of the Wrath generators, but tought it would be a good idea to nerf one of the Crusader's handful of great skills.

I'm still hoping those leaked patch notes are work in progress. Wrath Generators being untouched sounds reall really unlikely. They are one of the big problems in the Crusader
Also, ignore what I said about Falling Sword. I'll miss Akarat's Champion but damn, great skill. I do so much damage to mobs now with Condemn and Falling Sword (+ fire rune)

Lethal

Neo Member
The thing that annoys me the most as somebody who mains a monk is having a bullshit main stat. I had 3000 dex in 1.0.8 and that equated to around 35% dodge. Now, I have 8000 dex and its not much different. I mean, sure I don't expect us to have 100% dodge, but on the old system, diminishing returns kicked in anyway after 50%.

So basically, dexterity for a monk is useless as a main stat aside from increasing damage like any other class. Sure, we have STI, but that takes a passive slot! And it is only 30% now! Maybe if they got rid of STI altogether and simply incorporated it into the monk as a natural bonus... :p

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

HS probably will change, but it would be a fairly major change and they might want to save it for a major patch. I still think they will either remove the movement speed reduction and/or just make it a baseline part of the crusader and change the passive to something that boosts 1H damage.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
*kills a single rat* THE CRUSADE MARCHES ON!

*27 gold falls on the ground* WEALTH UNIMAGINABLE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom