• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferr

Right now my dual crossbows beat out my bow + quiver by about 10% damage. My bow rolled pretty low on damage though, so it's quite possible that a better-rolled Bow will fix that for me. I hope so. I do like the dual 1H'ers, though. One of them constantly spawns caltrops and sentries for me; the other leaves a clone of me when I vault, which enemies constantly attack thinking it's me.

Only thing I don't like the dual 1H setup for is if I'm using a non-channeling Hate spender. If I'm using Rapid Fire it's fine because of how the cost reduction kicks in for that. But for other abilities like the thrown dagger, you run out of Hate quick.

How high is your CC? I salvaged my Helltrapper recently but I think it was low dps anyway with a bad roll. I have a really nice Tenclip and a decent Dawn so I might test this out. Honestly I think this would be great with the nat bow considering the +CC you can get using it. Nat bow + Calamity might be amazing.

Tom Penny

I was so pissed when I got my Shard of Hate and saw that WotHF does not have a lighning rune :|

That weapon is amazing. You have to used Deady Reach scattered blows. I was an idiot and using slow as molasses Fist of Thunder. No bueno. If you get a fumigator, Won Kim or Thunderfury..good times.

I swapped to fire monk and got a lightning SOJ last night. I would swap it for fire, but really it's vitality that's needs to be rerolled so in just keeping it incase I go lightning in the future.

ElyrionX

Anyone care to explain why I've been doing chest runs in Tier 6 for 7-8 days now and get nothing but Blues and the occassional yellow to drop? Yet I go into Normal mode to do bounties and get a legendary nearly every single time along with a large quantity of yellows? It is around a 1-2 hour play session every time.

This isn't a once off thing. This is every single time spread across 25+ play sessions and the same Act's, same areas.

I am waiting for the incoming "RNG GONNA RNG" but if you look out there in the googles you'll see plenty of people who have researched this and found that it most definitely does NOT seem to be random.

I truly feel there is some sort of "luck" or call it whatever you want, applied to a persons account, maybe when they log in, maybe every few days. All I can tell you is that what I have seen and tested makes the system not look random at all.

I've seen someone claim that he "mixes" his farming to reset his drop rate once in a while. Basically, he claims that he does bounties/quests/rifts when he feels that his leg drop rates in chest farming runs are low. He does that for perhaps an hour or two and goes back to chest farming and the drop rate goes right back up. No idea how that works. But I do agree that the system isn't pure RNG.

@ Raven77

Your and others anecdotal drop rate conspiracies are quite frankly laughable and so typical from a community of a game like this.

But yes, sure. They do assign a random value for every single account just to fuck with people. That's the most important part about game design after all.

GorillaJu

I did about an hour of chest farming on T3 and got 8 legendaries, farming Abandoned Siege Camp and the burning Westmarch area.

Complete waste of time - I am happy that I got two legendaries out of those that I will use, including a Crusader set piece, but it's absolutely not worth the effort. I could have enjoyed my time in that hour instead of sitting mindlessly dodging enemies to loot chests for gear that isn't even helpful in chest running.

--

I have hit the 1m dps club on my crusader and am working on different builds to use in place of the Fires of Heaven build. Thor build (thunder hammers) has been incredibly good so far. I had used it before but always went back to Fires of Heaven because the damage was too good. Not been a big fan of hammers so far, but this build is absolutely fucking dynamite. Don't have to use Wrathful + Righteousness either, LOH keeps you alive even in the nastiest elite piles, just throw fucking lightning hammers all day like a greek god.

Raven77

I've seen someone claim that he "mixes" his farming to reset his drop rate once in a while. Basically, he claims that he does bounties/quests/rifts when he feels that his leg drop rates in chest farming runs are low. He does that for perhaps an hour or two and goes back to chest farming and the drop rate goes right back up. No idea how that works. But I do agree that the system isn't pure RNG.

I've noticed this as well. I have others in my clan that do this too.

It is most definitely not a pure RNG system. The odds of me bouncing between normal and tier 6, same areas, over and over, and consistently getting better loot out of Normal mode every time (yes, every single time) would be astronomical.

A purely random system, over time via the law of probability, should even out. The mere fact that I get more legendaries out of Normal mode, when Torment 6 has such a supposed higher drop % rate, goes to show you that this RNG system is either flawed or manipulated by factors we can't see directly.

How high is your CC? I salvaged my Helltrapper recently but I think it was low dps anyway with a bad roll. I have a really nice Tenclip and a decent Dawn so I might test this out. Honestly I think this would be great with the nat bow considering the +CC you can get using it. Nat bow + Calamity might be amazing.

lemmie check...

*logs in and equips*

okay so with my Danetta's Spite + Helltrapper, my CC is 49.50% and CD is 490%.

If I run just one + quiver, I have 57% CC and 370% CD.

dem tradeoffs.

also, my pants, gloves, bracers, and ammy are all crummy yellows. truly garbo.

Tom Penny

After X amount of time without a legendary your legendary drop percentage increases..other than that it's luck. I did see an increase in drops on T4 but is it more efficient than melting T2? Not sure. I know it's not all that fun being totally unchallenged and running around opening chests.

It is most definitely not a pure RNG system. The odds of me bouncing between normal and tier 6, same areas, over and over, and consistently getting better loot out of Normal mode every time (yes, every single time) would be astronomical.

So you clear T6 fast as normal? What are you farming for since you are obviously OP.

Takuan

I really hate the leveling experience from 1-60 in d3 (so I got carried to sixty with the crusader after being completely bored by level fifteen), but sixty and up the game becames so much more fun especially with adventure mode.

It just seems like 1-60 is just a really slow boring tutorial.
Yeah, power-level all the way now. Vanilla D3 was pretty underwhelming even on the first playthrough for me, personally; the story was hokey and they didn't pull off the foreboding atmosphere of the original Diablo. The actual combat/mechanics were up there, but the campaign felt incredibly weak.

I rolled through the first half of Act V and missed most of the story up to Adria, but I definitely prefer the design of Westmarch over any of Acts I-IV. The lore drops alone were more intriguing than the entirety of the vanilla acts.

DSmalls84

I have been sticking with T1 rift runs since they were buffed. I feel like I'm finding a lot of legendary gear in the Rifts, and a few here and there from the gambling as well. Not sure that I really want to go back to chest runs unless the results are too good to ignore.

Raven77

After X amount of time without a legendary your legendary drop percentage increases..other than that it's luck. I did see an increase in drops on T4 but is it more efficient than melting T2? Not sure. I know it's not all that fun being totally unchallenged and running around opening chests.

Is it possible to increase your chances by basically starting a game and leaving to go do something else for an hour or two, and then sitting down to play with that same game still open?

Also, I have good gear and get a nice amount of legendaries so I'm not mad at all at my own personal drop rate. I am just confused as can possibly be by their supposed system of "increasing changes of legendaries". I get my best stuff consistently from Normal mode and split my time between normal and Torment 4-6. We basically just play Torment for Paragon levels since me and the people I play with get better loot out of normal mode.

ferr

lemmie check...

*logs in and equips*

okay so with my Danetta's Spite + Helltrapper, my CC is 49.50% and CD is 490%.

If I run just one + quiver, I have 57% CC and 370% CD.

dem tradeoffs.

also, my pants, gloves, bracers, and ammy are all crummy yellows. truly garbo.

wonder how much sharpshooter would benefit you with that much CHD.

Yaari

VOhLDx9.png

So I just got this, is there any way to make it viable for a Wizard? I use Frozen Orb but I guess those +Cold Damage stats dont benefit me? And is Arcane Orb with Frozen Orb, a Frozen or an Arcane skill?

What do I remove for a Socket?

GorillaJu

VOhLDx9.png

So I just got this, is there any way to make it viable for a Wizard? I use Frozen Orb but I guess those +Cold Damage stats dont benefit me? And is Arcane Orb with Frozen Orb, a Frozen or an Arcane skill?

What do you mean, make that viable for wizard? It's already super good for wiz. If you use Frozen Orb, then you're set, just ditch the IAS for a socket and you've got a great weapon.

Anyone know if the fire rune on crippling wave is worth leaving WoTHF for when stacking fire damage? At what %fire damage increase does it become beneficial?

VOhLDx9.png

Frozen Orb is cold damage. My guess for getting the socket would be attack speed, since the gem will yield higher damage.

Moff

wait a minute, guys. total noob question here.
only spells/skills with the same elemental damage benefit from +elemental damage on weapons?
so only cold skills will benefit from the bonus on that azurewrath here?
I always thought the cold damage will be added to ALL my spells :(

edit: I just realized people talk about the +15% cold damage

Tom Penny

Anyone know if the fire rune on crippling wave is worth leaving WoTHF for when stacking fire damage? At what %fire damage increase does it become beneficial?

I don't know much about fire runes except for lashing tail kick. Combined with mystic rhythm it can pack a big wallop. There are 2 weapons have additional fire skill damage. One is craftable. That might be something to look into and luck into a cindercoat lol.

I dropped an Azurewrath on my wizard. The only reason I'm not using it over Thunderfury is because it didn't roll with a main stat OR socket. But if I dropped the one shown above, I'd be using that with cold skills probably.

Though I'm somewhat hesitant to go frozen orb since I think that's what 95% of wizards out there are using already. I'm having fun with arcane (for now).

Yaari

What do you mean, make that viable for wizard? It's already super good for wiz. If you use Frozen Orb, then you're set, just ditch the IAS for a socket and you've got a great weapon.

I see. I was misinformed then. I heard about black damage only having effect on wizards on something, glad this is something I can use then.

garath

wait a minute, guys. total noob question here.
only spells/skills with the same elemental damage benefit from +elemental damage on weapons?
so only cold skills will benefit from the bonus on that azurewrath here?
I always thought the cold damage will be added to ALL my spells :(

edit: I just realized people talk about the +15% cold damage

No, the skills don't benefit from the +elem damage on a weapon. Only the skill itself determines what element (or lack thereof) it is.

Raven77

I have a wand currently for my Wizard that does about 18% more damage than my level 60 Thunderfurry.

However, it seems as though the electricity damage proc for the Thunderfury is so useful, that I've continued to use it and ignore weapons that can do more sheet damage than it.

Am I making a big mistake? I can take down large mobs much faster with the Thunderfury than with anything else.

I don't know much about fire runes except for lashing tail kick. Combined with mystic rhythm it can pack a big wallop. There are 2 weapons have additional fire skill damage. One is craftable. That might be something to look into and luck into a cindercoat lol.

I tried LTK with the fire rune, but found just using cyclone and it's fire rune to be as effective. It leaves me with a slot for Epiphany too. I was messing around with the crippling wave fire rune and was doing 1-2 million crits on the attacks. I only get that high of a crit on the 3rd attack of WotHF.

Currently I'm running about +70 to fire. What is this craft able weapon you speak of? Lol

BigDug13

Haunt Now costs 50 mana (down from 200). Now deals 4000% weapon damage (up from 1465%). Now deals the damage over 12 seconds (up from 6)

Think you are missing something. It is a buff, just not as much because of the 12 sec.

200 mana made it prohibitive for me to get a DoT on everyone while using Pierce the Veil. I made sure to coat bosses and champs in it but it still was a mana burden to do for minions and all champs. It was 1500ish% damage over 6 seconds which became 1500ish% damage over 3 seconds repeating through 2.5 minutes due to my helm. Now it's 2000% over 3 seconds repeating through 2.5 minutes and super cheap to cast where I can have most things coated in it all the time.

It's a huge buff. 166% more weapon damage per second for only 25% of the original casting cost is a huge buff.

Trickster

BsyjBd6.jpg

Current state of my Crusader.
Made huge progresses today. I have to slot my chest piece (Tyrael's Might) with Diamonds, but they are expensive as shit.

I was wondering if it wouldn't be better to slot them with Ruby's for more Strength, but my All Res is very low as you can see.

You really ought to just throw 3 imperial diamonds into that tyraels might chest immediately. You don't really need to waste money upgrading diamonds, unlike the str/int/dex gems, due to the way the all res scaling linearly as you upgrade the diamonds. So the difference between an imperial diamond and flawless royal diamond is only 12 all res per gem.

Tom Penny

I tried LTK with the fire rune, but found just using cyclone and it's fire rune to be as effective. It leaves me with a slot for Epiphany too. I was messing around with the crippling wave fire rune and was doing 1-2 million crits on the attacks. I only get that high of a crit on the 3rd attack of WotHF.

Currently I'm running about +70 to fire. What is this craft able weapon you speak of? Lol

Well I was thinking stack fire. Then epiphany then spamming LTK as your elite killer. I think one problem with monk is sweeping wind is so good I have to have a slot for it so it's harder to try all builds. I couldn't get epiphany to a cool down I like and felt like I was wasting a slot. I slept on inner sanctuary but it's decent cool down then defense and offense gain is really good and it also helps the group when you tank a boss and put it on him with EP.

Nymerio

That weapon is amazing. You have to used Deady Reach scattered blows. I was an idiot and using slow as molasses Fist of Thunder. No bueno. If you get a fumigator, Won Kim or Thunderfury..good times.

I'm actually using it with the cold rune for WotHF. It's really nice to have a sort of ranged attack on my monk. And yes, the weapon is amazing.

Shifty76

Well I was thinking stack fire. Then epiphany then spamming LTK as your elite killer. I think one problem with monk is sweeping wind is so good I have to have a slot for it so it's harder to try all builds. I couldn't get epiphany to a cool down I like and felt like I was wasting a slot. I slept on inner sanctuary but it's decent cool down then defense and offense gain is really good and it also helps the group when you tank a boss and put it on him with EP.

On my lightning monk I'm currently running:
MoC:Annihilation (love the zoom zoom to next pack)
Dashing Strike: Barrage
SW: Cyclone
Epiphany: Fire rune
LTK: SS
DR: Strike from Beyone (just because someone I trust a LOT did lots of testing and concluded that SfB outdamages Scattered Blows over time.

Passives: OWE, Beacon of Ytar, Transcendence, Mythic Rhythm.

Stopmping through T2 right now, but I should really give T3 a go to see how it goes.

Profile link if anyone is interested - note that actual dps is ~630k (resists @ 1300), toughness 6m, healing ~30k

I was hoping to get some insight from some skilled Hardcore players. I have been playing Hardcore mode since Diablo 2 and in Diablo 3 I've been playing since launch, but stopped playing for about 6 months prior to RoS coming out. My Monk is now 70 and I've been using 1H w/Shield as a rule of thumb with almost all of my Hardcore characters to play it safe (aside from Demon Hunter).

However, I was wondering if any recent meta shifts have made dual wielding a more viable option for Hardcore Monks?

Is there still an inherent IAS when dual wielding? I'm assuming the main benefit would be more life on hit and spirit generation, but is it worth giving up the armor and block chance?

While the focus of my question is regarding the Monk, I'd like to ask the same when it comes to Barbarian and Wizard. I traditionally would always 1H/Shield with both of these classes in Hardcore as well.

For Barb - Is 2H or dual wielding viable?
For Wizard - Is 1H/Orb or 2H viable?

Raide

Welp. Addicted again.

Kill boss...orange item pops out.
Punch Rock...another one comes out.

Blizzard have done a much better job this time around getting the loot right.

Tom Penny

On my lightning monk I'm currently running:
MoC:Annihilation (love the zoom zoom to next pack)
Dashing Strike: Barrage
SW: Cyclone
Epiphany: Fire rune
LTK: SS
DR: Strike from Beyone (just because someone I trust a LOT did lots of testing and concluded that SfB outdamages Scattered Blows over time.

Passives: OWE, Beacon of Ytar, Transcendence, Mythic Rhythm.

Stopmping through T2 right now, but I should really give T3 a go to see how it goes.

Profile link if anyone is interested - note that actual dps is ~630k (resists @ 1300), toughness 6m, healing ~30k

I'm sure you could do T3. Toughness may be an issue. I'd basically go into T3 and use mantra of healing and the rune that increases your resists by 20% and see how it goes. DPS doesn't matter if you're dead lol. Also I'm confident in saying Way of the Hundred fists is the best overall damage / spirit generator. I only used scattered blows because I need to use a lighting or cold skill on my shard of hate. Otherwise I'm definitely using Way of hundred fists.

I was hoping to get some insight from some skilled Hardcore players. I have been playing Hardcore mode since Diablo 2 and in Diablo 3 I've been playing since launch, but stopped playing for about 6 months prior to RoS coming out. My Monk is now 70 and I've been using 1H w/Shield as a rule of thumb with almost all of my Hardcore characters to play it safe (aside from Demon Hunter).

However, I was wondering if any recent meta shifts have made dual wielding a more viable option for Hardcore Monks?

Is there still an inherent IAS when dual wielding? I'm assuming the main benefit would be more life on hit and spirit generation, but is it worth giving up the armor and block chance?

While the focus of my question is regarding the Monk, I'd like to ask the same when it comes to Barbarian and Wizard. I traditionally would always 1H/Shield with both of these classes in Hardcore as well.

For Wiz, a source can be so much of a stat boost (crit chance, arcane per crit...) that I cr imagine using a two hands

200 mana made it prohibitive for me to get a DoT on everyone while using Pierce the Veil. I made sure to coat bosses and champs in it but it still was a mana burden to do for minions and all champs. It was 1500ish% damage over 6 seconds which became 1500ish% damage over 3 seconds repeating through 2.5 minutes due to my helm. Now it's 2000% over 3 seconds repeating through 2.5 minutes and super cheap to cast where I can have most things coated in it all the time.

It's a huge buff. 166% more weapon damage per second for only 25% of the original casting cost is a huge buff.
I dont use Pierce of Veil, too much mana consuming.
I can't possibly use Spirit Barrage and Zombie Bears and PoV, unless you have a way to and you want to enlighten me :D

Shifty76

I'm sure you could do T3. Toughness may be an issue. I'd basically go into T3 and use mantra of healing and the rune that increases your resists by 20% and see how it goes. DPS doesn't matter if you're dead lol.

Yeah I'm not running StI right now, so that's an easy 1k+ extra armour if I use it over Mythic Rhythm. I just like those 10m crits on LTK. I'll probably switch it up for T3.

From what I've read, 1300 resist should be plenty for T3, but I'll see how it goes. I don't have many paragon pts into AR, so I can add another 200 there easy if needed.

Not giving up my MoC for MoH if I can just reallocate para-pts to get essentially the same bonus.

Arkanius

You really ought to just throw 3 imperial diamonds into that tyraels might chest immediately. You don't really need to waste money upgrading diamonds, unlike the str/int/dex gems, due to the way the all res scaling linearly as you upgrade the diamonds. So the difference between an imperial diamond and flawless royal diamond is only 12 all res per gem.

Decided to go as Ruby's, thankfuly, didn't waste money upgrading those Diamonds. But it's getting quite expensive and a drag to get Royal gems for all those slots. I think I'll stay for Flawless Imperial

Any chance the Mystic could re-roll my Barb's lvl 65 thunderfury into a 70? I farmed and farmed for it pre-expansion, post-patch but never it dropped. Levelled a crusader to 70, and then with the xp bonus this weekend decided to revisit my barbarian. Of crouse, the damn thing drops at lvl 65.... With the flawless royal emerald it's still amazing, but it's still only lvl 65. Anyway to update it's level?

Otherwise, the mission starts for a new and improved model.

Epiphany is great for elites. I'm thinking of swapping out a passive for beacon to get it faster.

CS doesn't do as much damage as LTK, but it sucks guys into me so it's a must. Especially with the bonus to damage from my strongarm bracers.

Because SW is so good (especially with stacked elemental damage) LTK is the one that gets left out here.

My CS crits do 8-9 million.

When I see a two-hander on my wizard, it may as well have just dropped as a forgotten soul. Because that's what it's going to become.

There's no way to compete with some of the sources out there with a 2-hander.

I imagine Blizzard could come up with some interesting legendary two-handers that have some unique stat combinations that could appeal to wizards, but not with the current (extremely boring) primary stat restrictions.

Tom Penny

Yeah I'm not running StI right now, so that's an easy 1k+ extra armour if I use it over Mythic Rhythm. I just like those 10m crits on LTK. I'll probably switch it up for T3.

From what I've read, 1300 resist should be plenty for T3, but I'll see how it goes. I don't have many paragon pts into AR, so I can add another 200 there easy if needed.

Not giving up my MoC for MoH if I can just reallocate para-pts to get essentially the same bonus.

I'm just finding resists are way important than vitality which is super overrated in toughness. STI will definitely help big time. You might not need to do anything except for change that.

Because SW is so good (especially with stacked elemental damage) LTK is the one that gets left out here.

If you use earth ally and release him when you are running sweeping wind his boulder will fill the place with tornadoes. Funny in big group of enemies :)

raphier

Banned
The problem with blizzards hardcoded random: has anyone ever seen such uniques as 2,500 dps ? Hell, 3,000 is a dream at this point.

Im honestly quite surprised so many people do not know this. When you are selecting a skill, its damage type is indicated in the banner for its name. It will will say what damage type is. Also, the banner will change to reflect its type. Physical is a black to red fade, fire is orange, lightning looks like lightning ect.

Point being, if you use + cold damage, any skill that is listed as cold in the banner will benefit from the + cold damage.

Shifty76

I'm just finding resists are way important than vitality which is super overrated in toughness. STI will definitely help big time. You might not need to do anything except for change that.

Oh for sure resists are WAY more important than vit. That's why I'm only running around 300k hp compared to lots of the monks I see with "more" toughness, but with 600k hp.

With 1300 resist and 7500 armour, which should be about where I get to with StI, I'm mitigating over 95% of incoming dmg, which seems pretty solid to me considering the old benchmark for comfortable MP10 runs was 91%

I'll fire up T3 tonight and see how it goes though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom