• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Penny

I don't know if was a glitch because I know the game is random but I was running a T4 rift last night and there were 6 elite mobs all the same type all at once and they were the octopus leg looking things sort of..and they all had the multiply ability arcane and walls 0_0 My whole entire screen was literally just filled with enemies..I could only laugh it was so ridiculous.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yeah I was only playing on hard through the part where westmarch is on fire and ran into 2 gold champions and an elite pack within the same screen space. It was pretty fun since I was crusader but I think a demon hunter or wizard would have been wasted pretty quick.

ampere

I started playing again last week to see how the game is since all of the changes and I got hooked... leveled 50 - 60 in a few days and bought the expansion and now I'm 68 lol. The enemy level scaling was great because I could play whatever act I was feeling like playing at the time.

Playing my Wizard, I'll probably stick with Wizard and level a Crusader for fun at some point.

Crisco

Banned
I'm glad that they are looking to buff the other classes rather than just nerf the Wizard, but in all honesty Frozen Orb does need a nerf. It's so much better than any other Arcane Power spender Wizard's have that using it is practically mandatory. Even with a build focused purely on a single non-cold element, switch your right click to frozen orb will still almost always increase your dps. No skill should be that good.

Omnicent

I'm glade to see that the provoke charge up build is not touched (Besdies HF it is the only other build I enjoy. HF for big numbers, and vokecharge for hundreds of low-medium numbers).

Now that FoH+Fissure is buffed I'm going to roll that for single target fights. Man having like 3+ of those out on a boss will be fun. Going to have to test it out on Ghom just to see how many numbers I can push on screen.

Arkanius

BsyjBd6.jpg

Current state of my Crusader.
Made huge progresses today. I have to slot my chest piece (Tyrael's Might) with Diamonds, but they are expensive as shit.

I was wondering if it wouldn't be better to slot them with Ruby's for more Strength, but my All Res is very low as you can see.

traveler

Not Wario
Steed charge buff and blessed shield buff are super nice for my current spec. (And I imagine the former for pretty much any spec) I see a lot of other spenders getting tossed about, but I'm pretty satisfied with how my bs-combust is hitting currently and it's going to go up quite a bit Tuesday.

I'm glade to see that the provoke charge up build is not touched (Besdies HF it is the only other build I enjoy. HF for big numbers, and vokecharge for hundreds of low-medium numbers).

Now that FoH+Fissure is buffed I'm going to roll that for single target fights. Man having like 3+ of those out on a boss will be fun. Going to have to test it out on Ghom just to see how many numbers I can push on screen.

What is the charge up build? I'm using provoke just for the wrath gen and have charge up since it was the only rune I really thought looked interesting out of the 5 for my spec, but my spec isn't built around it by any means.

DSmalls84

BsyjBd6.jpg

Current state of my Crusader.
Made huge progresses today. I have to slot my chest piece (Tyrael's Might) with Diamonds, but they are expensive as shit.

I was wondering if it wouldn't be better to slot them with Ruby's for more Strength, but my All Res is very low as you can see.

Most of my Resists are in the 4-700 range and I do fine in T1. I would socket rubys into the armor personally. More damage and armor. Also don't forget that as you climb higher in Paragon you can add a substantial amount of All Res with those stats.

ferr

What does GAF think of DH's using dual 1H xbow with 2 emeralds vs bow+quiver? That extra CHD make a world of difference?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
What does GAF think of DH's using dual 1H xbow with 2 emeralds vs bow+quiver? That extra CHD make a world of difference?

It depends on what items you have, tbh.

Arkanius

Most of my Resists are in the 4-700 range and I do fine in T1. I would socket rubys into the armor personally. More damage and armor. Also don't forget that as you climb higher in Paragon you can add a substantial amount of All Res with those stats.

I have been investing my Paragon points (Defese) on All Resist. My question is, will it be enough? I'm +60 right now due Paragon points.
If future levels of Paragon guarantees me a good All Res, then I'll start investing in DPS with Rubys

So I decided to give D3 another go, since I hated it at launch.
The changes have made it much better, I started yesterday and I'm currently a lvl 27 monk
So far I've had around 8 or so legendary weapons drop, and I've crafted some of Cain's set.
I wish I'd have chosen a harder difficulty because 'normal' means I've not used a single HP pot so far. Still, it's fun now, so I'll keep playing
Bonus pic.

7121984C_zps155cfb3a.png

It's nice that I can still be low level and look pretty awesome

DSmalls84

I have been investing my Paragon points (Defese) on All Resist. My question is, will it be enough? I'm +60 right now due Paragon points.
If future levels of Paragon guarantees me a good All Res, then I'll start investing in DPS with Rubys

Well if you invest all of the points into All Res it will eventually be 250 added. I can't speak for all difficulties but that seems like it would be fine for T1.

Omnicent

Steed charge buff and blessed shield buff are super nice for my current spec. (And I imagine the former for pretty much any spec) I see a lot of other spenders getting tossed about, but I'm pretty satisfied with how my bs-combust is hitting currently and it's going to go up quite a bit Tuesday.

What is the charge up build? I'm using provoke just for the wrath gen and have charge up since it was the only rune I really thought looked interesting out of the 5 for my spec, but my spec isn't built around it by any means.

http://www.diablofans.com/forums/di...tning-hammerdin-for-those-who-want-to-destroy

Charge up activates on all damage types, so with tick based skills it goes off on each tick (if a move ticks 5-10 times a second each tick will do an extra 50% weapon damage as lighting (an extra hit that can also crit), thats why I use HF + Blessed Ground/Ascendancy in my setup. Like it over bombardment).

You want to get as much self activation aoe gear as possible (I got some good pieces for this yesterday, so I am happy).
I roll with a mix of this and thorns (have Sanguine bracers). Still far away from where I want, but I could probably start transitioning to t2 this week.

It's a good build as it can melt elite packs very quickly (well any pack for that matter).
With the changes to FoH+Fissure that may fix the single target issues of the build (it still does good ST damage, but rocks aoe hardcore).

The build is basically death my 1000 needles.

Strider

The changes have made it much better, I started yesterday and I'm currently a lvl 27 monk
So far I've had around 8 or so legendary weapons drop, and I've crafted some of Cain's set.
I wish I'd have chosen a harder difficulty because 'normal' means I've not used a single HP pot so far. Still, it's fun now, so I'll keep playing
Bonus pic.

7121984C_zps155cfb3a.png

well you can change it whenever you want...

You cant do it within the game but if you back out to the game settings screen you can change it from their then select the most recent quest you are on.

I think monk has always been a middle ground class. We're never the best, but we're also never the worst and we get very little love come patch time because of it.

I think monk needs some rune diversification anyway rather than number tweeks.

desverger

It really seems like dualwield is far superior IMO, especially if you have a high crit%.

That is, unless you manage to land a proper legendary bow (Kridershot or something).

Handal

Bonus pic.

7121984C_zps155cfb3a.png

You know you can still raise your difficulty if you find it too easy right ?

Edit : Beaten by InvisibleStride !

I think monk has always been a middle ground class. We're never the best, but we're also never the worst and we get very little love come patch time because of it.

I agree completely. Some changes would be nice haha

Completely agree. Also, maybe do something about bells. Spirit cost is too high to justify them over LTK for the most part. But I really like where the Monk is at overall.

ferr

It really seems like dualwield is far superior IMO, especially if you have a high crit%.

That is, unless you manage to land a proper legendary bow (Kridershot or something).

Sucks that I lost so much crit when giving up my lv 60 nat gear, I don't think I'd benefit from the extra CHD at the moment. In fact I should actually look into whether a ruby might be better for me right now.

U2NUMB

All this Diablo talk got me to go out and pick it up for my PC.. the base game that is. So far I am loving it, sitting at a level 28 demon hunter and excited to get through it and then go pick up the expansion.

I feel like such a noob though.. so many little things that I discover along the way and no doubt plenty that I have missed. What is this type of game called? RPG or is there another name for games like this? Might have found a new favorite type of game.

ferr

All this Diablo talk got me to go out and pick it up for my PC.. the base game that is. So far I am loving it, sitting at a level 28 demon hunter and excited to get through it and then go pick up the expansion.

I feel like such a noob though.. so many little things that I discover along the way and no doubt plenty that I have missed. What is this type of game called? RPG or is there another name for games like this? Might have found a new favorite type of game.

Hack-n-slash, or ARPG
diablo-clone

marrec

Banned
Never had a problem with Monk's power during Vanilla D3 and I'm finding a lot to love in the expansion... though I don't try to solo much, I duo with a DH almost exclusively and my survivability and support are top notch as a Monk.

Still, always kind of disheartening to see what amounts to 'stability updates' under your main class in the Patch Notes... I'm used to it though cause I main Venge in DOTA 2, the Queen of never getting any fucking changes ever.

Hari Seldon

Ok I'm at 70 and running bounties and rifts now. Is this what I should be doing? I lowered the difficulty to hard just to get through things faster. I don't seem to be upgrading anything, almost every run results in loot that I just sell or DE. In other words, how the hell do I gear up enough to play Torment? Just play more and hope some more legendaries drop? Should I play the campaign and just target bosses instead of doing the adventure mode stuff?

ferr

Ok I'm at 70 and running bounties and rifts now. Is this what I should be doing? I lowered the difficulty to hard just to get through things faster. I don't seem to be upgrading anything, almost every run results in loot that I just sell or DE. In other words, how the hell do I gear up enough to play Torment? Just play more and hope some more legendaries drop? Should I play the campaign and just target bosses instead of doing the adventure mode stuff?

Yeah just keep hitting bounties and rifts until you get upgrades for T1.

No, you want to play Adventure mode now unless you want to play the campaign again.

traveler

Not Wario

Adventure mode is the right thing to do. Just alternate bounties and rifts as you prefer- no need to farm bosses specifically. The gear will come, but one thing you should be doing if you are in mostly fresh 70 rares is taking a closer look at the rares that drop. Don't just look at the numbers at the bottom, take a look and see if the items are one stat off being upgrade, as the Mystic allows you to convert what would have been trash prior to solid upgrades.

Vade

The only way I can see with napkin math that hand-bows being better than a range+ quiver is if you have a calamity and then with Natasha's Slayer or w/e it is called and make sure you get the 3 piece bonus so 250 dex and 7.5% ? critical.

Might be some other cases here and there where two excellent hand-bows beat out a excellent bow and good quiver ,but majority of the time quiver easily comes out ahead.

When you get to 70,all you need to do is to get stronger towards Torment 6

Insaniac

I'm not criticizing you, but I see this "complaint" all the time. Do people just expect legendary upgrades to rain from the sky? It is a loot game after all and there is some intrinsic grinding necessary.

Sure after the first few hours of being 70 you're probably gonna find upgrades here and there at a decent rate, then it's going to inevitably slow down. Take advantage of the Enchanter to make mediocre gear into upgrades. Take into consideration your build and things that enhance elemental or skill damage. The first leg sword I found was a 2330DPS Sever which I rolled a socket. I used it for a LONG time, but I recently found a 2150 DPS Thunderfury. Lower overall DPS, but the proc actually made me much more effective.

After hours and hours of play, I finally found an upgrade to my rare Shoulders (in the form of Death Watch Mantle). Upgrades happen, but you've gotta be patient, thats the nature of this game.

Bonus pic.

7121984C_zps155cfb3a.png

hard still isn't challenging tbh. but then again i was overlvled by the time i got to diablo and finished him off in less than 30 seconds lol

Takuan

Upped my base dps over the weekend from ~270K to ~517K+ (swapping out the Halcyon's with my damage-dealing amulet would get me to ~600, I think). Only took 1 re-roll attempt to get a socket on the Zweihander, which I consider very lucky since I've sent myself to the poorhouse trying to get +crit dmg on amulets.

I'm actually not that disappointed to hear about the HF nerf. It's my main damage dealer, but it's a little finicky at times and I had more fun using FoH when leveling.

Wrath generators not getting a boost is interesting, but not surprising. I think it's a better approach to look at modifying wrath costs than it is to mess with wrath gen, since those are the skills that ultimately define player builds.

Adventure Mode in normal difficulty to gear up. Keep chasing those caches. You'll naturally get upgrades through the cache or from drops while pursuing bounties. It was a slow process for me to start, but the upgrades were consistent enough that I was seeing improvements each day (one or two play-sessions lasting a few hours total).

Right now my dual crossbows beat out my bow + quiver by about 10% damage. My bow rolled pretty low on damage though, so it's quite possible that a better-rolled Bow will fix that for me. I hope so. I do like the dual 1H'ers, though. One of them constantly spawns caltrops and sentries for me; the other leaves a clone of me when I vault, which enemies constantly attack thinking it's me.

Only thing I don't like the dual 1H setup for is if I'm using a non-channeling Hate spender. If I'm using Rapid Fire it's fine because of how the cost reduction kicks in for that. But for other abilities like the thrown dagger, you run out of Hate quick.

Draxal

I really hate the leveling experience from 1-60 in d3 (so I got carried to sixty with the crusader after being completely bored by level fifteen), but sixty and up the game becames so much more fun especially with adventure mode.

It just seems like 1-60 is just a really slow boring tutorial.

I really hate the leveling experience from 1-60 in d3 (so I got carried to sixty with the crusader after being completely bored by level fifteen), but sixty and up the game becames so much more fun especially with adventure mode.

i wouldn't say boring. it was more of a chore.

ElyrionX

Well you still get a lot of chests in a run if you go solo, so I'd say it's still viable. Compared to Arreat Core it'll probably yield about the same legs with a full group, but it's also a lot more varied an not as mind meltingly boring as it actually needs you to pay attention to what you're doing.

I tried the runs today with some friends who have never done such runs before. Naturally they died a lot. Using my gear from the Arreat Core runs wasn't enough, I died a lot and repair costs were quite high. I switched some gear and hit 14mn toughness unbuffed and 1.6k all resist and it was much better. I think Paths of the Drowned and the side areas are indeed worth running. Chest density can be quite high. But The Corvus ruins and passages are hard. The Enraged Phantasm deal a shitload of damage for some reason and I died a lot to them.

Also, in terms of process flow, I presume everybody needs to hit the side areas on Paths of the Drowned on their own? And what are the most likely chest spawn areas for Paths? Is it mostly on the outskirts of the area?

New to D3 or been around for awhile?

Tom Penny

I liked the new changes in the patch. Impressive !!!

I'm getting more use to them being the tank team supporter. I still do decent damage but I try to tag as many enemies as I can with EP drop forbiden fortress and tank away. I run near death or whatever passive so it's like having 2 lives :) I was lucky to get a shard of hate and thunderfury and it was literally game changing.

They just need to add more elemental runes to spirit genterators. Hands of lightning or thunder not a lighting skill. Really?

So much of my gear would work on Demon Hunter so I might just roll one eventually.

I think there are two big problems with monks at the moment: Spirit generation and our rune situation.

The rune situation: I started off as a monk and after the upgrades dried up (can comfortably solo T2, probably T3 as well but haven't tried) there isn't really much else to hope for. You either get the right legendaries to drop and become super powerful or you don't, and you farm ad infinitum. Not only that but we only have either lightning or fire as viable specs for later torments. Sure some dude on twitch can zip around and blow stuff up but I bet hes rocking at least above 75% lightning on his gear.

Spirit Generation: To be fair I haven't gotten up to the highest of paragon levels yet so I can't spec into reduced resource costs which might help out, but after playing on my wizard it's hard to go back to the monk (at least until I kadala some lightning gear which I am trying for). The rate at which you can spam frozen orbs vs lashing tail kicks is insane. Wizards have a lot better arcane power generation AND ITS RANGED. As a monk we have to dashing strike or run over to our targets to get our spirit on, and if it's annoying mobs like the bee's in act 2 its even more of a chore as you chase them down to get enough spirit for your cyclone strike to pull them in and stun lock them.

It was the same problem with my WD back in the vanilla days. I didn't keep up with patches but mana was one of the worst resources in the game with one spell costing ~1/3rd of your mana pool. You were forced to spec into mana regen runes on things or use free spells like triple darts. Anyways, thats just how I feel after playing my monk for a bit and jumping ship for a wizard. I still enjoy my monk and do rifts from time to time in hopes of getting a cindercoat or WKL, or tgods, or fire/lightning andys/eye of the storm, or SoH, etc. Really gear dependant class.

Nymerio

I liked the new changes in the patch. Impressive !!!

I'm getting more use to them being the tank team supporter. I still do decent damage but I try to tag as many enemies as I can with EP drop forbiden fortress and tank away. I run near death or whatever passive so it's like having 2 lives :) I was lucky to get a shard of hate and thunderfury and it was literally game changing.

They just need to add more elemental runes to spirit genterators. Hands of lightning or thunder not a lighting skill. Really?

So much of my gear would work on Demon Hunter so I might just roll one eventually.

I was so pissed when I got my Shard of Hate and saw that WotHF does not have a lighning rune :|

Hari Seldon

Adventure mode is the right thing to do. Just alternate bounties and rifts as you prefer- no need to farm bosses specifically. The gear will come, but one thing you should be doing if you are in mostly fresh 70 rares is taking a closer look at the rares that drop. Don't just look at the numbers at the bottom, take a look and see if the items are one stat off being upgrade, as the Mystic allows you to convert what would have been trash prior to solid upgrades.

Yeah I have been trying to enchant items, but that one item you need Demon's Breath or whatever seems to be hard to come by. I'm always limited by that.

Raven77

The thing is, you don't have to do the god darn annoying, constant restarting of the game. Repeatedly leaving and resuming takes like half the time and is the least fun I've had doing sth. in D3.

And if you're quick enough 4-5 chests/min shouldn't too hard to come by. Especially when you run the Paths of the Drowned area, which I recommend when going solo. Also the Areat Core run doesn't exist anymore or ain't viable at least.

I've uploaded the skills and item build of my DH to the doc at the bottom.

Gonna post em here once too, but I'm not intending to keep updating both the doc and on NeoGAF.

Edit: Wrong rune for Preparation actually. Focused mind works better.

Anyone care to explain why I've been doing chest runs in Tier 6 for 7-8 days now and get nothing but Blues and the occassional yellow to drop? Yet I go into Normal mode to do bounties and get a legendary nearly every single time along with a large quantity of yellows? It is around a 1-2 hour play session every time.

This isn't a once off thing. This is every single time spread across 25+ play sessions and the same Act's, same areas.

I am waiting for the incoming "RNG GONNA RNG" but if you look out there in the googles you'll see plenty of people who have researched this and found that it most definitely does NOT seem to be random.

I truly feel there is some sort of "luck" or call it whatever you want, applied to a persons account, maybe when they log in, maybe every few days. All I can tell you is that what I have seen and tested makes the system not look random at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom