• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desaan

Queued position 113 - 18 minutes left :(

Servers must be busy this evening. I've never seen this queue before though. Is there something going on?

When I got to finally enter D3 battle.net shit the bed and disconnected me. Back in the queue AGAIN.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I'm currently on the beginning-ish of Act II. I've just apparently hit a point where you start getting exponential returns on your damage; over the course of the last... quarter of Act I and beginning of Act II, I've gone from doing maybe 400 - 600 critical damage to doing around ~6,000 - 8,000.

It's hard deciding what build to use for my WD, but my pets are so thoroughly useless at this point that I'm not bothering with them anymore. Can we have Necromancer back yet? :(

Once you hit 70 there are some builds + items that allow WD's to get into skelemancer territory of pets. I can't remember them off the top of my head though.

Necromancer is greatly missed personally though.

iirate

What would be best to re-roll for socket vit or spirit regen?

8k3DC9i.png

Definitely re-roll the Vit. Grats, that Sledge Fist is incredible.

Bradach

When I got to finally enter D3 battle.net shit the bed and disconnected me. Back in the queue AGAIN.
That just happened to me too. Position 194 now. God damn it. I might have to actually play a different game for the first time in 6 weeks...

Epix

Forgive my massively retarded question but I've been out of the D3 loop for a while...

Regarding "rerolling," I'm assuming that's referring to the act of repeatedly identifying a legendary item until the desired effects appear but some of the comments in this thread seem to indicate that there's a defined process that can target specific attributes to change (i.e "just reroll that IAS into a socket..."). Am I reading into this correctly and even more importantly am I doing it wrong....

Spirit barrage can be used by adding the passive where you gain 100 mana over 10 seconds for every spirit spell. Between haunt, spirit walk, and spirit barrage, especially now that it's cheaper for haunt, it's doable. I usually end up using the mana regen version of spirit barrage and it keeps me attacking at full speed with mana regen on 3 pieces of equipment. It's worth it for the added damage of DoTs from PoT and my Quetzotcoatl helm.

I don't bother with bears. Why do both? I'm full autonomous damage through DoTs and pets with spirit barrage as my singular "stand still to deal damage" skill to take advantage of crits which vampire bats can't do (which is why sycophant builds always disappoint for me. Especially with the random nature of "will I spawn fetishes or not" in that build)
I used Spirtual Attunement, Rush Essence and Spirit Vassel and these 3 with Pierce Of Veil bearly manage to keep me attacking endlessly with Spirit Barrage - Well of Souls. Atm that's my build:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#gfUdQY!cTfR!ZcZabc
I would like to hear what you think, I'm like half tank half nuke

scy

Forgive my massively retarded question but I've been out of the D3 loop for a while...

Regarding "rerolling," I'm assuming that's referring to the act of repeatedly identifying a legendary item until the desired effects appear but some of the comments in this thread seem to indicate that there's a defined process that can target specific attributes to change (i.e "just reroll that IAS into a socket..."). Am I reading into this correctly and even more importantly am I doing it wrong....

The Mystic (a new crafting NPC to the expansion) lets you choose one affix on an item to reroll. The results are randomly chosen from a set pool (which you can check so you're not blindly rerolling) and you're given three options to choose from. You can repeat this infinitely / until you run out of materials and/or gold. You can only reroll one affix per item, however.

Granadier

The Mystic that was added with RoS allows you to reroll a specific affix on an item.
Once you choose that affix slot to reroll though you can't reroll another slot. You are stuck with rerolling that slot until you get something you like.

http://www.diablowiki.net/Mystic

edit: scy too fast

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Correct

Stats you want:

Main stat of character
Vitality
Crit chance
Crit damage
increase attack speed (depends if you're bound by attack speed or weap dmg)
all resist
Some life regeneration (life on hit, life per resource spent or life regen, depending on build)

And then +elemental damage to cap it off

Always a struggle to achieve balance as most things are 4 primary and 2 secondary stats

Game over values life per resource spent abd life after kill. First one is useful though, second isnt if you take into account elites and bosses.

Game way over values vitality as toughness.

For damage, it's generally accurate bus IAS can be slightly misleading as it mainly makes your primary and secondary abilities more dangerous

Yeah, here's my guy right now:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Zefah-1313/hero/4085764

Totally lacks focus, unfortunately. I definitely need to work on getting more All Resist, as it's only around 300 - 400 right now. I also really need to find some decent weapon(s).

I sometimes swap over to a shield that has a +10% crit chance, which brings my crit chance up to around 62% with buff.

Anyway, glad I finally am starting to grasp what matters in terms of stats on gear.

One thing, though: is there anywhere I can read exactly how elemental works in conjunction with abilities of the same elemental type? Still not sure how the math works there.

Epix

The Mystic (a new crafting NPC to the expansion) lets you choose one affix on an item to reroll. The results are randomly chosen from a set pool (which you can check so you're not blindly rerolling) and you're given three options to choose from. You can repeat this infinitely / until you run out of materials and/or gold. You can only reroll one affix per item, however.
Granadier said:
The Mystic that was added with RoS allows you to reroll a specific affix on an item.
Once you choose that affix slot to reroll though you can't reroll another slot. You are stuck with rerolling that slot until you get something you like.

http://www.diablowiki.net/Mystic

Thanks!

Shifty76

Correct

Stats you want:

Main stat of character
Vitality
Crit chance
Crit damage
increase attack speed (depends if you're bound by attack speed or weap dmg)
all resist
Some life regeneration (life on hit, life per resource spent or life regen, depending on build)

And then +elemental damage to cap it off

Always a struggle to achieve balance as most things are 4 primary and 2 secondary stats

Game over values life per resource spent abd life after kill. First one is useful though, second isnt if you take into account elites and bosses.

Game way over values vitality as toughness.

For damage, it's generally accurate bus IAS can be slightly misleading as it mainly makes your primary and secondary abilities more dangerous

Psst: Avg dmg on rings (eg: 60-150 dmg ) is generally superior to both CD and IAS.

It's also good on amulets, but as CD on amulets can roll up to 100 vs just 50 on rings, CD > avg dmg on amulets. I'd rate wanted stats on amulets (in order) as +element dmg, +cc, +cd, +main stat, +avg dmg, +ias

Tom Penny

This is what I'm running into transitioning to T2. I think I may change up my skills/passives in order to move away from dodge.

There are exceptions like those sledgehammer dudes etc..but it's really the elemental stuff that kills you. One with everything and stacking your resist of choice with seize the initiative goes a long way. I will say One with everything is the one incredible thing they gave Monks.

Mumei

Once you hit 70 there are some builds + items that allow WD's to get into skelemancer territory of pets. I can't remember them off the top of my head though.

Necromancer is greatly missed personally though.

Are they viable in terms of damage and survivability in the higher difficulties?

Granadier

Are they viable in terms of damage and survivability in the higher difficulties?

Yes and yes.

Damage wise you can stack damage on yourself and they will inherit that, and survivability wise they will literally form a physical barrier between you and the enemies. Vortex affixes could cause you issues still though.

JCizzle

Yes and yes.

Damage wise you can stack damage on yourself and they will inherit that, and survivability wise they will literally form a physical barrier between you and the enemies. Vortex affixes could cause you issues still though.
Yeah, if you're moderately careful with pet builds I find that you can almost become indestructible.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

Fetish sycophants passive+ mask of jeram+ starmetal kukri = lots of high-damage pets and permanent big bad voodoo.

I'm currently on the beginning-ish of Act II. I've just apparently hit a point where you start getting exponential returns on your damage; over the course of the last... quarter of Act I and beginning of Act II, I've gone from doing maybe 400 - 600 critical damage to doing around ~6,000 - 8,000.

It's hard deciding what build to use for my WD, but my pets are so thoroughly useless at this point that I'm not bothering with them anymore. Can we have Necromancer back yet? :(

You'll be surprised at level 70. There are some pet builds that are devastatingly good. It does require one specific piece of gear (Jeram's legendary mask) to double their damage, and admittedly the bulk of the stuff comes from fetishes and not your dogs or gargantuan. Imagine 15-20 fetishes hitting stuff for 2 million damage a pop. :)

Still, it's the closest thing we have to the necro and worlds better than what was in D3 before. You can "prep" by sitting in town and spamming firebats (zero mana cost) to summon a ton of the little fetishes. Then you tear stuff up.

Which reminds me...I need to play my 70 WD more. I've spent 95% of my play time on the crusader. I'm a glutton for punishment.

Boogdud

Yes on both accounts. However, you have to drop stats like crit damage (pets are capped at 50%) and start stacking physical %, vitality and int. So your character sheet dps will look terrible (250-350k range) but your pets will be doing amazing damage (hitting in the millions). They're completely viable right now. I think the term is "Petdoctor".

I of course rerolled and smashed a lot of my gear last night to try the pet build and I was having a much easier time with T1+ (I've had bad luck with loot for a long time) with the pet build. But I wish I would have seen these patch notes yesterday with the haunt super-buff...

On another note. After seeing the crusader buffs, I'm shocked to see they didn't buff wrath generation. It was the worst part of the class imo. Or is increased wrath implied with the buff to damage to many of the skills?

Granadier

I need to get to Level 70 already.

If you are in NA GAF clan and looking for a power level just ask around.

Otherwise I love to power level people, so send me a friend request: Granadier#1345. I'll be on later tonight and tomorrow morning.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
OK... so if what I'm reading is accurate, the elemental damage on weapons does absolutely nothing? The only things elemental you should care about are "+x% elemental damage" affixes and the elemental type of your abilities? Elemental damage on the weapon doesn't matter at all?

macewank

OK... so if what I'm reading is accurate, the elemental damage on weapons does absolutely nothing? The only things elemental you should care about are "+x% elemental damage" affixes and the elemental type of your abilities? Elemental damage on the weapon doesn't matter at all?

elemental damage on weapons matters, if only in the sense that it's added to the core dps of the weapon.

it does not matter, however, in that it is not affected by +x% elemental damage affixes.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
elemental damage on weapons matters, if only in the sense that it's added to the core dps of the weapon.

it does not matter, however, in that it is not affected by +x% elemental damage affixes.

I should have phrased that differently. The type of elemental damage on a weapon has absolutely no bearing on anything else, right? As in, it doesn't matter if you have +1000 - 1500 damage, +1000 - 1500 fire damage, +1000 - 1500 lightning damage, etc. since they will all provide the exact same numerical benefit?

I was initially under the impression that you should match the elemental damage of your weapon with the elemental type of your abilities, but the two have no bearing on one another, right?

Instro

You'll be surprised at level 70. There are some pet builds that are devastatingly good. It does require one specific piece of gear (Jeram's legendary mask) to double their damage, and admittedly the bulk of the stuff comes from fetishes and not your dogs or gargantuan. Imagine 15-20 fetishes hitting stuff for 2 million damage a pop. :)

Still, it's the closest thing we have to the necro and worlds better than what was in D3 before. You can "prep" by sitting in town and spamming firebats (zero mana cost) to summon a ton of the little fetishes. Then you tear stuff up.

Which reminds me...I need to play my 70 WD more. I've spent 95% of my play time on the crusader. I'm a glutton for punishment.

Gargantuan with wrathful protector is very strong.

On the subject of WDs, does anyone know if the mimics from the grin reaper can proc fetishes? Its hard to tell but it almost seems like they do, also I am fairly amused that they can move and use vampire bats at the same time if you spawn them using that skill.

scy

I should have phrased that differently. The type of elemental damage on a weapon has absolutely no bearing on anything else, right? As in, it doesn't matter if you have +1000 - 1500 damage, +1000 - 1500 fire damage, +1000 - 1500 lightning damage, etc. since they will all provide the exact same numerical benefit?

I was initially under the impression that you should match the elemental damage of your weapon with the elemental type of your abilities, but the two have no bearing on one another, right?

The only time it really matters is for Crusader's using the Holy Cause Passive since it only works with Holy Damage weapons. Other than that, the Damage type of the weapon does not matter.

Mumei

Tragicomedy, how does the Fetishes build function? I recently got the ability, and it summons them for 20 seconds and then there's a 120 second cooldown. Is there some way to keep them around longer or reduce the cooldown?

If you are in NA GAF clan and looking for a power level just ask around.

Otherwise I love to power level people, so send me a friend request: Granadier#1345. I'll be on later tonight and tomorrow morning.

Right now I'm just playing through the story mode normally (first time player), but after I'm finished I'll take you up on it!

The Cowboy

Tragicomedy, how does the Fetishes build function? I recently got the ability, and it summons them for 20 seconds and then there's a 120 second cooldown. Is there some way to keep them around longer or reduce the cooldown?
There is a dagger than you can get that reduces the cooldown of Fetish Army and BB voodoo by 1 seconds per fetish hit.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/starmetal-kukri
Reduce the cooldown of Fetish Army and Big Bad Voodoo by 1 second each time your fetishes deal damage.

BurningNad

Only had one Forgotten Soul, also a Dawn dropped. Was an upgrade, if only it had a socket. Eh, what the hell, I'll try my luck.

Bam, socket! Holy shit, right? So I salvage the Manticore I just replaced.

Open up a Horadric Cache, legendary shoulders. Nothing special, but another upgrade. Got armor on it, other stats are good, I'll go for All Resist.

Bam, 100 all resist.

Today is a good day. Current gear has nothing I need to reroll. I just need some set pieces to start dropping. ;)

iirate

The only time it really matters is for Crusader's using the Holy Cause Passive since it only works with Holy Damage weapons. Other than that, the Damage type of the weapon does not matter.

The element of damage on your weapon also adds elemental vulnerability from the Wizard's Elemental Exposure passive. Those are the only two instances I know of where it actually does anything good, though.

Pungza

Right now I'm just playing through the story mode normally (first time player), but after I'm finished I'll take you up on it!

Four piece Zuni keeps fetishes around until they die.

My dream fetish build - Tasker & Theo, Starmetal Kuriki, Jeram, 4 piece Zuni

The Cowboy

Some of the WD stuff is fun, i love my mask - though i would love the pet buff one as i love my pets.
nTdwzOY.png

With Creeping Death, Locus Swarm and Pestilence rune this thing is amazing, its just so funny clearing an area with 1 swarm whilst you go kill something else. I'm going to try it out with both Locus Swarm and Haunt if the mana cost/damage change happens, with the heal rune on Haunt this could be pretty tasty.

Brandson

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/qu4ntumrush-1823/hero/43449134

Can someone help me with my L52 monk? I'm playing Act II on Expert and elites are insanely hard all of a sudden. Should I downgrade to hard until my toughness is like 500k?

I've primarily played monk. I recall from leveling the first time that in the early 50's elite affixes became much more powerful than before. You need to start considering your resistances from now on. Getting all resist on everything now, and especially in the 50's, is hard. So try to stack the same resistance on all your gear, and use the one with everything passive. My recollection is that if you can get all your resistances up to around 500 this way, you should be good until at least level 60.

scy

The element of damage on your weapon also adds elemental vulnerability from the Wizard's Elemental Exposure passive. Those are the only two instances I know of where it actually does anything good, though.

Oh, right, that too.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Some of the WD stuff is fun, i love my mask - though i would love the pet buff one as i love my pets.
nTdwzOY.png

With Creeping Death, Locus Swarm and Pestilence rune this thing is amazing, its just so funny clearing an area with 1 swarm whilst you go kill something else. I'm going to try it out with both Locus Swarm and Haunt if the mana cost/damage change happens, with the heal rune on Haunt this could be pretty tasty.

Dog what were you thinking rerolling a secondary

Raide

Quick question for Orange items. Does it matter if I hold onto them for a few levels before identifying them, does it change them at all?

The Cowboy

Dog what were you thinking rerolling a secondary
Yeah i know, i had just came back to the game and didn't realise what i was doing just after getting the mask - i was happy with the main stats at the time, and it was my 1st enchant :( (i do wish I'd changed the attack speed)..

Still love it though, it didn't effect my build to badly.

Cipherr

Yeah i know, i had just came back to the game and didn't realise what i was doing just after getting the mask - i was happy with the main stats at the time, and it was my 1st enchant :( (i do wish I'd changed the attack speed)..

Still great because of its effect. Just always remember that helms can roll up to 6% crit on them also. Would have been incredible for dps to reroll that Life on Hit to 5% crit or more. Big dps boost. I think only special helms (legendaries) can roll Attack speed on them, so I would keep the attack speed.

Artanisix

Feels like Crusader clearly has the best 6-set in the game. Barbs seem alright, Wd and Dh seem okay, and Wiz and Monk seem kind of bad.

Dahbomb

Should've rolled LoH to Crit chance. Attack speed on a Helm is a significant DPS boost because you can't normally get IAS on helm.

Bro you messed up with that helm!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom