• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savitar

With the expansion days away, the recent changes to the game causing many to return and love what has happened the question must be asked.

What is Jay Wilson's legacy after all this?

Was his vision inherently flawed?

Was he nothing more than a scapegoat doing the bidding of those who gave him orders?

Or was he just an arrogant person who couldn't see beyond his own view countering with "fuck that loser" when others said they would not do what he did.

Ashodin

I clear T2 fast. That's usually what I play on. T3 is doable but it just takes too long. I haven't found any 1h xbows that have better DPS than windforce. It's the only legendary weapon I've found for the DH.

Been keeping an eye out for better gloves and bracers but I lose so much toughness that it's hard to replace. Bracer is definitely the weakest piece of gear I have.

I'll probably suck it up and lose the toughness for more dps but I want it to be a good increase for the loss of defense.
consider using perfectionist. It's a huge boost in toughness if you use it.

Tom Penny

Can't remember if I ever posted this in the other thread, so gonna repost here.

Testing a bunch of +CS and +lightning dmg gear on my monk.

Sheet dps of ~115k which clears things faster than my ~250k dps set. Shows exactly why sheet dps means NOTHING in terms of actual dps, at least for monks anyway.

Vid of a T3 run

Armory Link

I don't get what gear swap would have your paper DPS at base 135k more..There are tons of monks that don't do 135k never mind " extra " paper DPS. You must some how have 80-100% extra elemental damage but I can't see your gear at work.

Jrmint

How do you calculate +elemental damage into your sheet dps? I'm sitting on about 47% +lightning dmg with my monk, and was curious to know what my true dps output was.
Take a look at the lightning skill in question and add 47% to whatever the figure is.

So let's say it did 200% weapon damage, add 47% to that and it will be doing 294% weapon damage now. I think I did that correctly.

Shifty76

I don't get what gear swap would have your paper DPS at base 145k more..There are tons of monks that don't do 145k never mind " extra " paper DPS.

1. 166 dex 0.25 APS Echoing fury with 207% total crit dmg is about 60k of it...probably more actually compared to that WKL..
2. Rare ring over SoJ = another ~30k
3. Crafted +holy dmg bracers = ~8k
4. Inna's pants instead of Pox Faulds = ~25k
5. Wildwood with marquise ruby in socket was a ton more dps than the Fulminator too.

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head anyway...no internet until the 28th so can't log in to check.

Well now that AU has local servers, I can only see other Aus players, despite being on the Americas region (wonder if they'll now add an Oceanic Region tab and migrate our characters over to that?)
Problem is I tend to play late nights/ Early in the a.m (currently 5:50 in the morning here) and there are of course no random games for me to join :(

So I'd love some friend requests from any USGaffers playing around this time/ the last five hours. My id is: ItllGroBak#6545

Currenty Doing the whole Key farming thing, Have a couple Infernal machines atm.

Can't remember if I ever posted this in the other thread, so gonna repost here.

Testing a bunch of +CS and +lightning dmg gear on my monk.

Sheet dps of ~115k which clears things faster than my ~250k dps set. Shows exactly why sheet dps means NOTHING in terms of actual dps, at least for monks anyway.

Vid of a T3 run

Armory Link

Yep, I changed my Shenlong socketed + crit gem for a fulminator (Using Thunderfury with Fulminator) and while I lost like 50K DPS things are melting faster than ever, go figure...

Dizzy-4U

This loot 2.0 is no joke, I went from struggling with my monk in expert difficulty to fight comfortably in Torment 3 in two days.

I'm so addicted to this game. Loot, give me the loooooooots.

Dahbomb

Yea it doesn't mean much for Monks when you have +% skill and +% element mods on your gear. It's similar with Wizards too although they have a bugged skill so it's hard to say how well they actually are doing.

ESPECIALLY when Monks have a skill like Exploding Palm. If you have the Fist of Aztarask then you can clear mobs faster than people who have 300K DPS at around 100K "sheet" DPS.

This is one of the better things that D3 has done now... going for e peen DPS numbers is not the end all to improve your character.

Shifty76

Yea it doesn't mean much for Monks when you have +% skill and +% element mods on your gear. It's similar with Wizards too although they have a bugged skill so it's hard to say how well they actually are doing.

ESPECIALLY when Monks have a skill like Exploding Palm. If you have the Fist of Aztarask then you can clear mobs faster than people who have 300K DPS at around 100K "sheet" DPS.

This is one of the better things that D3 has done now... going for e peen DPS numbers is not the end all to improve your character.

Yeah still looking for one of those bad boys. Or a Thunderfury. I'm not fussed either way :)

Oh, and a Tgods Vigor belt too...

Krassus

Sheet DPS = who cares honestly. As a Wizard who has been excluded from power grind groups and who has excluded people I totally understand both sides of the argument. I used to be at 150k and think I was at 350k and now that I’m at an actual 370k + mods and set bonus I can see why they cared now.

Real simple method to tell if someone will either help or slow you down in a T6 group is to send them to T5 butcher. He takes all of a minute to kill and if they can meet that DPS check however they can with buffs, debuffs, magic tricks then I say welcome them with open arms to T6 groups.

Dahbomb

So I just learned that the Crusader can't dual wield 1H weapons:

Secondly, as the Crusader cannot Dual-Wield 1 handed weapons, this gives him a unique edge and makes him stand out amongst the other classes.

LMAO! Well that's the end of the whole Zeal/fast melee Crusader builds.

Jubs

I have an extra Thunderfury lying around.... would gladly trade it for a Thundergod Vigor if I could.

I'm the opposite. I have two thundergod vigors, but no thunderfury. I've been farming for it pretty diligently, but the RNG gods have been cruel and haven't granted me one.

garath

This is a common problem I see all the time people with low sheet dps saying they can't find upgrades , stop looking for full upgrades I.e ones the show all green on items , dps > toughness by a mile 150k dps should be easy to get with better bracers gloves helm, if you have the demon/sages craft set plans craft them if not craft 5 or 6 stat ones.

True. I can definitely make dps gains if I give up some toughness. I guess I'll have to experiment and find that efficiency thresh hold. How low can I let my toughness get before I really start to struggle?

I think I can lose some. Right now T2 is a cakewalk. I don't die outside of the rare triple wall boxing me in over a molten or arcane thing. T3 hits a little harder but I don't die much on T3 either, it just takes too long to kill things, at least last I tried. I may give it another whirl.

I can duo T4 with my monk friend but it takes awhile to kill bosses and elites. I can't solo that without dying from boredom.

With the expansion days away, the recent changes to the game causing many to return and love what has happened the question must be asked.

Was he nothing more than a scapegoat doing the bidding of those who gave him orders?

Or was he just an arrogant person who couldn't see beyond his own view countering with "fuck that loser" when others said they would not do what he did.

Who knows really. I think the 2.0 update basically shows that the core D3 game was pretty good, but there were fundamental mechanics that were not good at launch (mostly related to the AH). Maybe someone with insider knowledge knows exactly who was responsible for those decisions.

Beyond that, well, money, egos and corporate politics have a tendency to make it difficult for otherwise very nice and reasonable people to get along...

Remmy2112

What are these "infernal machines" and blood shards and all that?

Infernal machines are something Blizzard added awhile back. They added a unique purple mob to a area in each act which had a chance to drop one of three keys+a plan. Get one of each key and you could craft a infernal machine you'd take to a area and use to open a portal. Three portals total each with a group of two "Uber" bosses like souped up Maghda+Skeleton king. When you killed them they had a chance to drop a crafting ingredient. If you got all three you could craft a Hellfire Ring which was a level 60 legendary ring in stats with no level use requirement and a hefty XP bonus great for leveling normally or for paragon levels.

Blood shards are a new currency gained from bounties and I think nephalem rifts in Reaper of Souls. I'm not entirely certain what you can buy. I believe you can gamble on items with them or buy caches which act like a resplendent chest if you get enough shards.

I think you have his legacy in your post, with "Fuck that loser". Anything good he might have done in the original development of D3 is clouded by that. I can't count the number of times I've seen his name mentioned in some gaming news story, with the first (and successive) comments all being "Fuck that loser." Hell, it's even in the OT here. Perhaps future work and humility might change that, but I must admit, that's the first thing that pops into my head when I read the name. No malice or anything, but that's the strongest word association for me now.

Giggzy

Crafting is the quickest way to improve your sheet dps but your problem is without the AH you'll have to find the plans so it's not worth it with the limited time you have , I would just farm paragon levels while the buff is active, you can do this without "cota" farming, if you have no one to group with join a torment 3 to 5 public game

Ps what class are you ? Because ranged it's easyer to farm higher torments

I'm a.... Melee DH!

garath

Digital all the way.

Baby on the way so my wife and I just cleaned out our spare room closet. I had EIGHT garbage bags filled with game boxes when we were done.

Sad to see them go but man.. what a waste of space for so long. lol

Popnbake

Not sure.

Some of the design philosophies around Diablo 3 was completely different prior to release.
For example he had plans for character customizarion with the Trait system back in 2010.

The PvP fiasco was also questionable given that they scrapped a promised feature that was
decently reviewed when it was demoed at Blizzcon.

I get the feeling he actually had a good direction for Diablo 3 but some behind-the-scene
changes beyond his control made it to the vanilla Diablo 3 we know today.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The lack of trading is really worrying to me. Why take the ability to trade with other players out of the game?

It's hard to say, I think. I mean, the sentiment I had on release was that they were really onto something with D3, that the core game feel was excellent and everything felt right. The skills felt powerful. The runes make everything look different. The art style, which everyone ridiculed, was beautiful and felt like moving through a painting.

The shame came from philosophies that came from a lot of their design decisions (which were ultimately reactions of a 10+ yr old D2 fanbase).

• I hate tradespam and dealing with shady dealers.
  • Why can't we enjoy the game for all the environments there are? Endgame is just Baal runs.
  • Skill points are broken. You put just one point wrong on that tree and you may as well start over.
  • What's the point of stat points, anyway? Everyone's just going to throw everything in Vit anyway.
  • Once you hit the higher levels, the game is just trivial. Nothing can kill you once you hit level 75 or so, not even hell Baal. Why bother with a level 99 cap?
It's unfortunate that in responding to these (perfectly legitimate) complaints, they ended up catering too far to the extreme, and while somethings worked, others didn't. We got the AH, and the RMAH. Skill/Stat points disappeared in favor of Runes. Blue and Yellow mobs were tougher than bosses, making the boss fights trivial and anticlimactic. Inferno was overtuned to such a degree that many players simply burned out in Act 2, never to play again. These are problems that came from the solutions they chose, which I think is the best answer to your question of if JayW's vision was flawed. I don't think the vision was flawed, but I think the solutions they chose created problems they didn't forsee.

As far as his facebook shit...I mean, damn son. It certainly was a spectacular way to destroy any online credibility he had. We've all said shit we aren't proud of, and most of us have said it on the internet, but chances are pretty good what you've said online won't follow you around for the rest of your professional career. I don't see him as arrogant, really. I see him as someone who's defensive about a game and a team he poured years of work into, with some really shitty choices about what you post online. Personally, I never post anything about work, but I'm not in that public sphere, either.

And a scapegoat? Well, I don't think he was. I think he made all the decisions with the help of his team, pitched them to his bosses, and got the thumbs up. Then, once everything went downhill, I think everyone at blizz knew there were some things they would be able to backtrack on, and some things they wouldn't. I think the difference was that Jay likely never pushed for AH to leave, where Josh probably did. This is all speculation on my part, but I mean this is just a discussion, so if anyone has any real evidence about any of this, please correct me.

IceMarker

The lack of trading is really worrying to me. Why take the ability to trade with other players out of the game?

I already posted this, but Blizzard almost needs to add a clan and/or community Trading Post from within the clan "home page". We do need a way to trade with other players outside of being in-game, and with all the game breaking items account bound to your party at drop, the "economy" won't be destroyed nearly as quickly, or at all, as the AH did. If they don't one important part of player interaction will be lost.

Hell, I'll be happy just to open and mess with my stash/character inventories again out of game. BLIZZARD!

Holy Shit! for the last few days I've been trying to get those damn Organs for the Hellfire ring, first twelve machines I don't get a single one, Yesterday on the thirteenth and fourteenth machine I get the Spine and the fang, just needed that stupid Eye. then just now, I did two three portal runs on Torment2 with a random player, and an organ drops for me EVERY SINGLE TIME, So now I can make two of these stupid Rings.

This game.

Tom Penny

How do I increase my crafting ability. I starting playing again and their are level 10 plans I have that I can't use.

Probably because they totally screwed up the game at initial launch and the game was dependent on AH instead playing and progressing.

That was actually pretty good.

Is there a good site to read about the lore of diablo?

And not being able to trade seems like a really... odd oversight. Or one that was intentional. If people constantly have to grind against RNG, maybe they think it will improve player engagement? I think it will have the opposite effect, but that's just me. Even gold can't be traded, right?

It's like swinging from one extreme (the AH and the shitty tuning of the game) to another (not letting people trade ANYTHING of real value).

vilmer_

Two words. Rob Pardo. He was ultimately responsible for every decision in the game.

How do I increase my crafting ability. I starting playing again and their are level 10 plans I have that I can't use.

Probably because they totally screwed up the game at initial launch and the game was dependent on AH instead playing and progressing.

Its been a long ass time, but I think you just go to the training tab and pay them to increase their level, but im not sure.

Ashodin

I'm a.... Melee DH!

I crafted the Hallowed Defenders, but you'll be needing to look for a sick 1H weapon that has Dex, +% damage, and a socket. Those are your stats you want for more damage.

Crit chance on your Shield or AS as well as high Dex.

Have another Melee DH GIF

XlK5ChR.gif

I'm always discovering nuances of the Melee DH, for example:

• Fan of Knives can be used IN THE MIDDLE OF Vault's animation. Meaning, you can deal damage while invincible.
  • Using sentries, you can hang out of melee if it's too harsh while they fire away and then Vault back into the fray
  • Vaulting as an opener is satisfying as fuck. You vault in, drop FOK, and things explode. Drop more if necessary.
  • With Shuriken Cloud, Andariel's Visage, and any more AOE you can collect that deals damage right next to you in melee, you can keep the damage flowing like wine.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
That was actually pretty good.

Is there a good site to read about the lore of diablo?

And not being able to trade seems like a really... odd oversight. Or one that was intentional. If people constantly have to grind against RNG, maybe they think it will improve player engagement? I think it will have the opposite effect, but that's just me. Even gold can't be traded, right?

It's like swinging from one extreme (the AH and the shitty tuning of the game) to another (not letting people trade ANYTHING of real value).

Yeah, I think it's too heavy handed as well. It kind of makes sense as a temporary solution as the AH shuts down, just to sort of calm the waters or whatever, but having absolutely no way to trade anything meaningful is a pretty bad choice for this type of game. It's sadly yet another way one could look at Path of the Exile and see them doing something interesting and effective while D3 is still struggling to get it right. And this is coming from someone who only liked PoE enough to put a couple of hours into it.

Takuan

I crafted the Hallowed Defenders, but you'll be needing to look for a sick 1H weapon that has Dex, +% damage, and a socket. Those are your stats you want for more damage.

Crit chance on your Shield or AS as well as high Dex.

Have another Melee DH GIF

XlK5ChR.gif
Inspiring. Will def have to try this out if and when I get the plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom