• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I really don't want to provoke. It just feels so weird. Loot-genre certainly is for me, I loved D1, D2, Demon's Souls, Sacred 1+2...wasted hours with these.

Sorry, that came off more sarcastic than intended. I can see where you're coming from but if you liked those games I don't really see why you wouldn't like this, its the same thing haha.

ekimneems

Neo Member
I'm pretty sure Mystic Ally - Fire beat out Sweeping wind prior to this patch because of Unity and the damage bonus MA itself. At least it did for me. It's a whopping 20% more damage. Even a 10% + 10% is significant. It also gives a mini SSS. If the patch helped pets and MA is doing 1.5 mil now, then it's definitely better than SW overall.

Sucks that I spent so much time building a Lightning Monk - now this is making me think Fire. It's a waste to not use Sweeping Wind or Dashing Strike if I have over 40% lightning boost right? Maybe I can use it instead of Serenity (which I keep just because in T2 I sometimes have to get out of being trapped in Arcane/etc

The pet dmg thing is because crit damage is working for pets. It's a bug so I bet it is hot fixed tomorrow.

It's not really a nerf. They'll just go back to where they were yesterday which was already good.

So, after hearing about the expansion, I thought I'd maybe give D3 another shot. I logged in, and found that they had unlocked the option to go to hard mode straight away. As one of my biggest complaints with D3 was that it was too easy, I transferred my character over to hard and started playing.

And you know what? It was great. I had to carefully time my attacks, ensure I wasn't surrounded, and there were multiple instances where I had to carefully kite enemies until my potion cooldown was finished. Hell, I even used my companion, because having them around no longer felt even more like cheating!

Then, when I got a few rare drops (which are seeming a lot less rare these days) it basically balanced out and the difficulty was about the same as normal.

Oh well.

Sad about the Wiz fix. I've been playing Wiz original release so I'm just going to move on to the next build. I'll probably do something lightning based. Even having every 70, Wiz is just more fun to me.

macewank

So, after hearing about the expansion, I thought I'd maybe give D3 another shot. I logged in, and found that they had unlocked the option to go to hard mode straight away. As one of my biggest complaints with D3 was that it was too easy, I transferred my character over to hard and started playing.

And you know what? It was great. I had to carefully time my attacks, ensure I wasn't surrounded, and there were multiple instances where I had to carefully kite enemies until my potion cooldown was finished. Hell, I even used my companion, because having them around no longer felt even more like cheating!

Then, when I got a few rare drops (which are seeming a lot less rare these days) it basically balanced out and the difficulty was about the same as normal.

Oh well.

There are eight difficulties that are higher than "Hard" here.. bump it again

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
The pet dmg thing is because crit damage is working for pets. It's a bug so I bet it is hot fixed tomorrow.

It's not really a nerf. They'll just go back to where they were yesterday which was already good.

Are the pets utilizing more than 50% crit damage now after the patch? Is that what the bug is?

I thought that all pets were limited to inheriting +50% crit damage.

Do pets benefit from +elemental damage? I'm guessing no.

I don't think so, and neither do followers.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
There are eight difficulties that are higher than "Hard" here.. bump it again

This. Hard isn't hard if you're well-geared. Difficulty is entirely relative in a loot game, Diablo 3 gives you the option to pick something comfortable/challenging. Don't feel like you can't go above Hard because it's already called "Hard"

JCizzle

Are the pets utilizing more than 50% crit damage now after the patch? Is that what the bug is?

I thought that all pets were limited to inheriting +50% crit damage.

I don't think so, and neither do followers.

I think it should be tweaked to inherit more than just 50%, but maybe not at a 1:1 ratio like it apparently is now.

Undocumented crusader buff: the thorns passive now scales with difficulty level!

It's 6K on normal and 524K on torment 6. It's arguably a very good passive now for those of us who are more block-focused in our builds.

With reflective skin, the thorns build already melted elites in five seconds. Now it's exponentially more powerful. Shockingly so.

Lothars

Im so glad I power leveled my characters using the rakkis crossing quest before it got changed.

I got 3 characters to 70 using it, now I'm just finding equipment for them.

Shifty76

I'm pretty sure Mystic Ally - Fire beat out Sweeping wind prior to this patch because of Unity and the damage bonus MA itself. At least it did for me. It's a whopping 20% more damage. Even a 10% + 10% is significant. It also gives a mini SSS. If the patch helped pets and MA is doing 1.5 mil now, then it's definitely better than SW overall.

Can't speak for all monks, but for mine and also for a bunch of the guys I run with regularly, SW makes up around 30-35% of our dps, so still higher. SW also snapshots Mythic Rhythm, so that's an extra 40% dmg on SW that stays on until you let it drop.

I'll grab fire ally and Unity tonight though and test on Ghom.

ZenaxPure

I do enjoy the game for it's mechanics, I kinda like it. But it feels like running around in a perfectly thight 3D world like Jak and Daxter 1 - and then have nothing to do which makes sense.

But I really don't want to provoke. It just feels so weird. Loot-genre certainly is for me, I loved D1, D2, Demon's Souls, Sacred 1+2...wasted hours with these.

I think you're looking at it in a bit of a wrong light. Even though it is a "loot game" that is not the only aspect of the game. I doubt many people are playing for the singular reason of getting better gear. Basically gear serves as a way to do higher difficulties and try out different builds. The "fun" does not come from getting an item, it comes from what getting that item allows you to do. Even then though that is ignoring stuff like rifts which gives you random dungeons/enemy combos that slows down the rate of you potentially burning out and moving on to another game.

jblank83

Undocumented crusader buff: the thorns passive now scales with difficulty level!

It's 6K on normal and 524K on torment 6. It's arguably a very good passive now for those of us who are more block-focused in our builds.

With reflective skin, the thorns build already melted elites in five seconds. Now it's exponentially more powerful. Shockingly so.

Hmmmmmmm

Tom Penny

I don't even use dodge on my Monk but I'm wondering If I will be super tanky with dodge the with backlash while using sweeping wind the fire one. That could be a lot of life on hit and damage mitigation at the same time. I have a shard of hate and one of the crappy Fist of Thunder runes also increases dodge 17% for 3 seconds on hit.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

So the bracers from bounties, Hack (I believe that's the axe's name?) and the Thorns set are now super strong? Awesome.

Granadier

Can't speak for all monks, but for mine and also for a bunch of the guys I run with regularly, SW makes up around 30-35% of our dps, so still higher. SW also snapshots Mythic Rhythm, so that's an extra 40% dmg on SW that stays on until you let it drop.

Wait, you can do a spirit gen then pop SW and it will take the +40% for the duration?

So the bracers from bounties, Hack (I believe that's the axe's name?) and the Thorns set are now super strong? Awesome.

Yes, yes, and yes. Those bracers were previously garbage since the 1,000% modifier was based on the 6K number. Now they are probably top tier, but I'll have to test them when I get home in a few hours.

So happy I didn't salvage them.

It's thorns time!
vB8cJhQ.png

I've been using WD since the game came out. Just recently started a new monk character. Was WD not good to use? I think WD is just overall fun to play rolling around with a pack of creatures.

I've been using WD since the game came out. Just recently started a new monk character. Was WD not good to use? I think WD is just overall fun to play rolling around with a pack of creatures.

They've always been fun to play. Well, except for inferno difficulties back at release. It was basically kiting everything with triple darts. So boring.

Now, they're the proper spiritual successor to the necromancer.
I'll still drop mine instantly if a necro gets released.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Probably late to the party but the patch notes are up.

I'm glad they realized how ridiculous the crafting costs were and removed the Flawless Royal requirement, I will actually do some crafting tomorrow. I'm also happy with the Crusader buffs, I feel it's a good start but they didn't touch on Wrath, some spells cost way too much (FoH) and our generation is too slow. 15% flat damage reduction will help though, as will the lower Steed CD even if it no longer breaks stun. Not a bad first patch, although there's no mention of a fix for the freezing issue when opening UI elements which really bugs me.

This has to be a bug similar to the pet crit buff, or else really poorly thought out when taking into account things like Hack, Sanguinary Vambraces, and the Invoker set.

This has to be a bug similar to the pet crit buff, or else really poorly thought out when taking into account things like Hack, Sanguinary Vambraces, and the Invoker set.

You'll take your buffs and you'll like them!

Alternately, you'll stand by and watch as my Thorned Avenger of Death melts elites before you can hit them.

Firemind

so let me get this straight

wizards and monks remain efficient farming machines

wds and dhs got buffed

barbs and saders are still fucked lol!

You'll take your buffs and you'll like them!

Alternately, you'll stand by and watch as my Thorned Avenger of Death melts elites before you can hit them.

My crusader was already a thorns build, and it seemed really strong even without any of the specialized thorns gear. 16k sheet thorns was critting for 1.5m when I'd hit reflective skin on T1 prepatch. If that behinds the scenes math is still the same, that turns into 49m crits at T6 with just the 200% bonus off of reflective skin...so 245m crits with Sanguinary Vambraces?

Buffs are nice, but I like balance too. Though maybe my math is way wrong, since Blizzard seems to hide too much of how thorns damage is actually calculated.

jblank83

imo they were fine, high dmg, fun to play, fun to group with. Nothing beats the entertainment value of a WD with a pack of little stabbies, calling up a horde of zombie bears, and toppling towers of zombies.

Now they're even better.

So now I know what it feels like to be OP. I've never loved my WD more.

Also, this is a hard choice to make, but I'll stick with the one on the left for now:

fYYl1eQ.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I promised (Marco) I'd ignore this thread, but now I'm happy! (The "new" OT name)

Granadier

Yes, yes, and yes. Those bracers were previously garbage since the 1,000% modifier was based on the 6K number. Now they are probably top tier, but I'll have to test them when I get home in a few hours.

So happy I didn't salvage them.

It's thorns time!

Math is hard.

This seems like a bug that will be hotfixed along with the pets.

Currently that would be doing 524million thorns damage, just standing there.
Add into that the +200% buff from Iron Skin + Reflective Skin, and the +1500%~ from STR and your looking at ~1.4billion damage....

Imba as fuck.
my calculations are not guaranteed to be accurate

Shouta

The Fire Ally itself doesn't do a lot, at least prior to this patch/possible bug but the bonus it does to all of your other skills should make up for it with Unity in your passive slot. It's +10% from the ally then another 5% from Unity in solo. I'm almost certain Unity gives the bonus to your Follower and maybe even your Ally too, lol.

I'm a Holy Monk (and hopefully adding in Fire) though so most of my damage comes from using Exploding Palm in conjunction with Fists of Fury to melt stuff fast.Unless you're getting massive procs on the tornado or the timing of the damage tick for SW is really fast, I don't know how you're getting 30-35% of your total damage from it.

KarmaCow

This seems like a bug that will be hotfixed along with the pets.

Currently that would be doing 524million thorns damage, just standing there.
Add into that the +200% buff from Iron Skin + Reflective Skin, and the +1500%~ from STR and your looking at ~1.4billion damage....

Imba as fuck.
my calculations are not guaranteed to be accurate

1000% is 10x the damage, so it would "only" be 5m on T6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom