• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a few legendaries that I use on witch doctor that has thorn damgages as a secondary bonus. On is an increase of 1000%. I assume they will be good for this patch?

Never really paid attention with thorns even on the barn I have.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So my buddy was definitely wrong about blazing sweep being fixed. Mine is still ticking for like 3k. Ugh.

1 piece down, a couple more to go!

ykY0f9Z.jpg

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
So my buddy was definitely wrong about blazing sweep being fixed. Mine is still ticking for like 3k. Ugh.

:( Might switch over to Blessed Shield - Combust on my Firesader after patch then, since it's getting a big buff too.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I really wonder if that change of Critical Hit Damage applying to Witch Doctor pets is going to be reverted. I've been gearing up while ignoring CHD on mine for so long that I'm totally ill-suited to take advantage of it at the moment and I'm not going to start gearing for it if it's just an oversight that's not going to last.

Neat that the weapon summons got a buff, though. I might actually take my 70 Gidbinn in for a few rounds of trying to roll a socket.

I really wonder if that change of Critical Hit Damage applying to Witch Doctor pets is going to be reverted. I've been gearing up while ignoring CHD on mine for so long that I'm totally ill-suited to take advantage of it at the moment and I'm not going to start gearing for it if it's just an oversight that's not going to last.

I think it'll be adjusted but not nerfed completely, it feels better but slightly too much at the moment.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I guess peer blocker blocks Diablo? It seems to be working now after killing peer block.

It's probably because Blizzard uses P2P downloading.
I think there is an option to disable P2P in the Battle.net client and on the various game patch clients, but you'll usually get slower downloads.

So I have a few legendaries that I use on witch doctor that has thorn damgages as a secondary bonus. On is an increase of 1000%. I assume they will be good for this patch?

Never really paid attention with thorns even on the barn I have.

The thorns stuff that people are talking about is related to the change to a passive for Crusader. I don't think anything changed regarding other classes using thorns.

Jedi2016

It's probably because Blizzard uses P2P downloading.
I think there is an option to disable P2P in the Battle.net client and on the various game patch clients, but you'll usually get slower downloads.
I picked up a really nasty virus through their P2P once. I'll never have that option enabled again.

How much thorns is need to be effective? I had 15k thorns in t1 and didn't seem that great.

None. Just get the passive and you should have 55Kish on T1. I just ran a T2 rift solo and it was at 88K from the passive.

It doesn't make a ton of sense to try and add thorns with gear when you'd be getting 1-2K per piece when you can get a ton more with one little passive. The trick is to taunt all the elites and then pop reflective skin.

Why would it be? It scales with difficulty level now, instead of being absolutely trash.

If you're saying it's unfair that the class that was objectively the worst in the game is no longer, okay.
"Objectively the worst class in the game" was at least close to being on par with the other classes. Hoho let's go throw on some thorns and farm T6 isn't close.

Dahbomb

This is obviously a bug.

But FO was obviously a bug too and the Wizard players were swearing up and down that it was working as intended. Expect this to be hot fixed along with the WD pets crits.

This is obviously a bug.

But FO was obviously a bug too and the Wizard players were swearing up and down that it was working as intended. Expect this to be hot fixed along with the WD pets crits.
Not sure if you can equate 1 extra hit on FO to absolutely melting t6 with minimal gearing.

mileS

"Objectively the worst class in the game" was at least close to being on par with the other classes. Hoho let's go throw on some thorns and farm T6 isn't close.

this.

In a perfect world, thorns should scale with torment level. Whats in the game today is clearly not balanced or fair. It's broken in a bad way. Maybe one day soon Blizz will get thorns right. Bugged before this patch, and now bugged in a new and different way now.

Not sure if you can equate 1 extra hit on FO to absolutely melting t6 with minimal gearing.

Yea. I understand what he's getting at but this is on another level. It's hard to argue otherwise.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Why would it be? It scales with difficulty level now, instead of being absolutely trash.

If you're saying it's unfair that the class that was objectively the worst in the game is no longer, okay.

Did you not see Ash's picture?

400m damage from thorns cannot be intended.

180m damage from pets cannot be intended.

These will be hotfixed tomorrow or Thursday I bet, if not later tonight.

Dahbomb

A bug is a bug. Even if FO had just an extra hit that was important because it was out performing other skills.

There have been bugs like this before. Nether Tentacles of DH used to hit multiple times on a target as it passed through. Guess what? It was deemed as a bug and fixed accordingly.

Bugs that affect class balance get fixed.

You see the difference between me and other Wizards is that I was objective in my statements. I said FO should be fixed because it was a bug. They didn't believe it (and thought I was whining because I was jelly of the Wizard class and asking for nerfs) but it doesn't matter if they believe it as long as Blizzard does and they deemed it as a bug and fixed it. This Crusader thing is obviously a bug and will get fixed.

Lain

As an EU player (so no patch here yet) how did Frozen Orb change exactly? I've read the patch notes for America but I'm not clear if that is to mean simply the range the orb hits or the damage it used to do as it passed through.

Implying crusaders were on par with any other class is laughable. The same people making that claim were arguing that it was a trash class yesterday.

Thorns will almost assuredly continue to scale with difficulty. It needs to since it was fairly awful before. It will also likely be toned down or made to not benefit as much from critical damage or runes like reflective skin.

For now, I will enjoy my five minutes of being OP.

scy

The Thorns itself seems to be intentional. The issue is Iron Skin reflecting at 800% instead of 200%. The ability for the Thorns to crit may or may not be intentional, though I'm going towards "not."

TheYanger

since I got a PM and a bunch of replies, it's the 'bring potion to crazy old hermit' quest right outside the caverns of aaronae. You can checkpoint before you go inside, and just run up to check for the quest.

zlatko

Banned
Dropping a Judgement with that 80% Crit Rune at the same time is goddamn hilarious also

What kind of build are yourself and other Crusaders on GAF using at 70? I mean from all skills to passives.

Ashodin if you read this-same question.

I'm Outlaw on Bnet, and I'm rolling a sader...just about 70. 3 more levels to go.

I keep having mixed results with various skill combinations I've tried.

My favorite right now is Judgment with the heal on hit rune, along with blessed hammers with the spawn hammers on hit of enemy rune. So many hammers! I got hammers for my hammers.

The rest is all wishy washy though. I see a lot of people pick smite over judgment, but I hate not having the ability to kite or stay a little bit away from some enemies. I also tried Blessed Shield with the burn rune before too.

All suggestions are welcome, and I'll mess around with some builds later tonight that you guys recommend!

P.S. Welcome back to the thread Yoshi. Keep the hype coming. Naysayers can go fudge themselves... I have 4 games I bought and haven't touched because of Diablo's release. Infamous, MGS5,Titanfall, and Dark Souls 2 all collecting dust right now. :(

Totakeke

Thorns have always crit through reflective skin. But I don't know about it being OP, if you don't stack a ton of toughness/defenses, you won't be alive to apply thorns. Plus those huge amounts are only on T6 where monsters also do a ton of damage. Will have to try it for myself I guess.

Implying crusaders were on par with any other class is laughable. The same people making that claim were arguing that it was a trash class yesterday.

Thorns will almost assuredly continue to scale with difficulty. It needs to since it was fairly awful before. It will also likely be toned down or made to not benefit as much from critical damage or runes like reflective skin.

For now, I will enjoy my five minutes of being OP.

Umm I played with quite a few crusaders and they weren't laughable by any stretch. I have no idea about various people and their various claims as well. What I do know is that you replied to a poster who was surprised a bug hasn't been fixed yet. And it's definitely a bug and should be fixed ASAP.

I agree thorns should scale with difficulty.

Dahbomb

As an EU player (so no patch here yet) how did Frozen Orb change exactly? I've read the patch notes for America but I'm not clear if that is to mean simply the range the orb hits or the damage it used to do as it passed through.
The first part which changes how long the chill effect last is most likely a nerf to its synergy with Cold Blooded passive. If enemies are chilled for less time then they will take less damage over time from the passive.

The second part of the change makes it harder for Frozen Orb to get the bonus damage from its AOE. It was hitting like 3 times in mobs, the AOE change will probably change it so that it's hitting twice as intended in most situations and harder for it to hit 3 times.

Totakeke

Umm I played with quite a few crusaders and they weren't laughable by any stretch. I have no idea about various people and their various claims as well. What I do know is that you replied to a poster who was surprised a bug hasn't been fixed yet. And it's definitely a bug and should be fixed ASAP.

I agree thorns should scale with difficulty.

If they believe thorns should scale with difficulty (which I also think it has to to be viable at higher Torments), then thorns gear have an issue because they'll never scale even to near those levels the iron maiden passive has now.

If they believe thorns should scale with difficulty (which I also think it has to to be viable at higher Torments), then thorns gear have an issue because they'll never scale even to near those levels the iron maiden passive has now.

Have the passive apply to gear as well.

GorillaJu

This thorns shit is ridiculous. I was in here extolling the virtues of a thorns build before when you could melt elites - it was nothing like this though. Holy shit this damage

Moonlight was stealthed nerf. Knew something felt different.
Shard of hate as well I presume

Dahbomb

Moonlight was stealthed nerf. Knew something felt different.
Yeah that item was way too good.

Was in a group with a Monk who had that. His gear was about the same as mine but he was basically clearing mobs 3 times as fast thanks to the MLW amulet. Now I believe it has an internal cooldown to the proc.

I wonder what else got stealth nerfed/changed in this patch.

mileS

I had typed a long ass response but it's honestly just a waste of time.

Frozen orb didn't hit 3 times, or do 3x the dmg it's supposed to do. The explosion for the bonus dmg was a fairly large range, and that's what made it overpowered. You could get that bonus damage consistently without having to aim it properly. The bug was fixed. That's that.

If people honestly think the spell is broken I don't know what to tell you. This is the way it is, and this is the way it's supposed to be. Why is it good? because its got a huge range for starters, and it pierces and explodes for bonus damage if you aim it right.

kencey

The Thorns itself seems to be intentional. The issue is Iron Skin reflecting at 800% instead of 200%. The ability for the Thorns to crit may or may not be intentional, though I'm going towards "not."

^exactly.
Now that it's doing 800% i didn't know, so that's why it's doing insane damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom