• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

huxley00

Blizzard isn't Blizzard North, and what's worse, Blizzard post-WoW isn't Blizzard of the 90s.

Diablo and D2 had bad guys. The monsters weren't sympathetic, we did not experience the story through from their perspective, and in fact when heroes from the prior game became villains they were fully corrupt; there are no shades of gray in Diablo. The evil exist to do terrible things then be vanquished.

Blizzard games didn't really have bad guys. Some of the characters were despicable monsters, but for at least some missions we either were those monsters, or at least we aided their cause. And I think that bleeds over into how Blizzard handles storytelling in Diablo 3. They want the villains to be characters, and they want us to hear from them, understand their motivations, get a sense of what makes them tick. I don't think that's a bad idea, except for my latter observation.

Post WoW Blizzard got soft. R rated content became PG-13. Metzen got old and had a couple kids and now everyone gets a redemption arc, and those who don't get redeemed are Cobra Commander types who bluster their way through defeat after defeat. It's like a morality play for the feel good generation. Everyone is OK, even the bad people, and the really bad people? They suck.

Reaper of Souls is a marked improvement story wise on everything Blizzard has released post WoW, so maybe good times are ahead.

I think its more the nature of the true 3d engine. It is much harder for them to get the appropriate dark colors in the engine they use. Instead, everything looks kind of cartoonish, ala WoW. It really loses the dark flavor that the 2d isometric engine was able to provide. I think it is much more of an issue of atmosphere rather than poor narrative.

huxley00

Got my Crusader to 70 tonight and ran some bounties and rifts with a friend. After I few hours I am at 275k damage and 6.7m toughness. It's kind of upsetting how easily I can handle Master(I can survive T1 but it takes too long to kill) and my DH that I have spent so much more time with can barely handle Master.

Could probably handle T1 alot better if I spend some time working on a more efficient build with some +% elemental damage but for now I am just trying out different combos.

From my experience, it was all about getting increased +Resist All on as many pieces impossible (including 3 sockets in chest and 2 in legs). After that, I started having hardly any issues at all in T1 and can move onto T2 quite easily. Toughness is important, worry about Resist All more though.

There was a change made to Mirrorball?

Yes. Before each MM counted as a 'proc', therefore it would give you LoH. So while a single MM would give me 5k LoH, all three landing would give me 15k. It basically tripled your LoH assuming all three MM's landed. I assumed this would also effect Conflag, it seems it doesn't...which I'm betting they will adjust further down the road.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Vital-1980/hero/30489631

How am I doing so far? I've been killing everything in the Master Difficulty since the start of the game.

I picked up Diablo 3 again last week and started playing a wizard. But I'm having trouble keeping interested while trying to level. I haven't bought the new xpac yet since I have been losing interest. Will the new xpac help pick things up again? I hated running the same acts over and over again. I feel like the game needs something added to it, maybe more things to do while farming (random encounters or events).

lilltias

I think its more the nature of the true 3d engine. It is much harder for them to get the appropriate dark colors in the engine they use. Instead, everything looks kind of cartoonish, ala WoW. It really loses the dark flavor that the 2d isometric engine was able to provide. I think it is much more of an issue of atmosphere rather than poor narrative.

It is not about the engine. 3D can do gritty a la Diablo. It is only about the direction they took with the game.

My buddy and I have started farming for the lvl 70 Hellfire. Are we at the tip of the spear or behind the times?

Who here has the ring already?

Iorv3th

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Vital-1980/hero/30489631

How am I doing so far? I've been killing everything in the Master Difficulty since the start of the game.

I picked up Diablo 3 again last week and started playing a wizard. But I'm having trouble keeping interested while trying to level. I haven't bought the new xpac yet since I have been losing interest. Will the new xpac help pick things up again? I hated running the same acts over and over again. I feel like the game needs something added to it, maybe more things to do while farming (random encounters or events).

Try and play with other people, that's always more fun. Adventure mode and rifts are a fun change. I actually find it really hard to go back and play through story mode now.

www.darkd3.com - I use Hardcore mode myself. Helps a lot.

Blizzard isn't Blizzard North, and what's worse, Blizzard post-WoW isn't Blizzard of the 90s. .

The Blizzard of that time didn't even make Diablo. They basically just published it, and made the input to turn it real-time instead of turn-based like it originally was designed to be.

ZenaxPure

I hated running the same acts over and over again. I feel like the game needs something added to it, maybe more things to do while farming (random encounters or events).

Well, that is totally what the expansion does, so you should probably get it. I haven't touched story mode seriously since I finished act 5, adventure mode is designed to be the thing you do. Bounties give you 5 random objectives per act map (and you can jump between act maps at will with a world map) and completing those objectives gives you items called rift fragments that let you do random dungeons where you just fight a slew of monsters and then a random boss at the end.

Firemind

I think I'm through with enchanting until I get BiS items. Souls are too hard to get considering how quickly you burn through them at the enchanter.

Is there a way to get a steady stream of souls? Stack MF? Complete rifts?

Seriously, every time I get a leg plan and my leg timer resets, I want to bash my head in.

garath

Try and play with other people, that's always more fun. Adventure mode and rifts are a fun change. I actually find it really hard to go back and play through story mode now.

This is the truth. I've been doing adventure mode non stop since finishing Act V. I leveled my crusader up in adventure mode and now I'm trying to get through story mode for the Mathial drops and hating it. I like the freedom and randomness of Adventure mode. Story mode is so dull.

Paches

My buddy and I have started farming for the lvl 70 Hellfire. Are we at the tip of the spear or behind the times?

Who here has the ring already?

My farming group and I got all of ours together 4-5 days ago. I feel like most don't have theirs yet, but I could be mistaken. I got lucky and rolled a decent set of stats, as I have seen some truly terrible rolls and feel sorry for the people that have to farm up another.

garath

You guys are making me jealous. I've put in quite a bit of time since RoS and I've only gotten 1 green piece for my DH and a few legendaries that are even upgrades.

I'm still missing so many build defining items:

Krindershot (hell, any legendary bow would be refreshing.. still rocking a 1h rare xbow)
Cindercoat
Any of the rings
etc

My time will come eventually.

Achtius

me too garath, me too.

I wanted a cindercoat since I changed to DH, but I got two Marauder's Carapace since then... I dont' even know how it works. Oh well, i'll work toward finishing the set.

#firstworldproblem

DSmalls84

So far the only set items I have found for my Crusader are Blackthorne's belt/pants. All the rest of my gear is legendary at this point though, so my drops have been good.

garath

me too garath, me too.

I wanted a cindercoat since I changed to DH, but I got two Marauder's Carapace since then... I dont' even know how it works. Oh well, i'll work toward finishing the set.

#firstworldproblem

At least I'm not alone :)

I was too nice and gave my wizard friend an Andriel's Visage that dropped because it was lighting damage and int. I would have had to chosen to reroll the int or the lighting to fire. Would have been less than ideal for the forgotten souls either way.

/thequestcontinues

garath

So the Rakkis Crossing quest is nerfed, is there anything else available?

It's not the "join game, walk a little ways, free xp, quit game, repeat" freebie but I leveled my Crusader very efficiently with cursed events in adventure mode solo.

Load up on AE damage, check each bounty and look for cursed ones. Jump on those. Find the event and complete it. Each cursed event is generally worth 1-2 levels depending on your level.

It helps that I had a hellfire ring and socketed helm to augment my xp. I think I got to 60 in about 3-4 hours that way.

The fastest is still using a level 70 friend to join your T6 game and kill everything while you try not to die and enjoy the level a minute average.

edit: strictly talking about leveling a char, not grinding Paragon.. I realize now you may have been asking about that...

jost

Neo Member

How I leveled pre patch was I created a private game on T6, got a level 70 friend to come in and do a rift for me (actually clear it) doing it in this manner I was able to level from 1 - 60 in roughly 45 minutes. at about level 60 t6 gets really rough for just 1 70.

Chanser

Got a Shard of Hate some days ago, now this. Blizzard really wants me to play barb (won't happen) or monk. For now, I guess will be my WD weapon.

7914bad4eff1f9b44d872a84c6704c2d.png

Own a level 36 version, was originally used for my WD now re-rolled for my crusader.

eek5

Finally got my cindercoat.

Rolled str

WHY

cptX9gu.png

=( =(

Howling winds A2 miner is still there

Go talk to miner then TP back to town and wait. You'll get the xp in a little while. (you have to be alive to get the xp)

Vade

Blizzard isn't Blizzard North, and what's worse, Blizzard post-WoW isn't Blizzard of the 90s.

Diablo and D2 had bad guys. The monsters weren't sympathetic, we did not experience the story through from their perspective, and in fact when heroes from the prior game became villains they were fully corrupt; there are no shades of gray in Diablo. The evil exist to do terrible things then be vanquished.

Blizzard games didn't really have bad guys. Some of the characters were despicable monsters, but for at least some missions we either were those monsters, or at least we aided their cause. And I think that bleeds over into how Blizzard handles storytelling in Diablo 3. They want the villains to be characters, and they want us to hear from them, understand their motivations, get a sense of what makes them tick. I don't think that's a bad idea, except for my latter observation.

Post WoW Blizzard got soft. R rated content became PG-13. Metzen got old and had a couple kids and now everyone gets a redemption arc, and those who don't get redeemed are Cobra Commander types who bluster their way through defeat after defeat. It's like a morality play for the feel good generation. Everyone is OK, even the bad people, and the really bad people? They suck.

Reaper of Souls is a marked improvement story wise on everything Blizzard has released post WoW, so maybe good times are ahead.

You have defeated my "minion, random demon, something insignificant", but you will never beat " this other guy or"

Scooby Doo had better villians than this shit.

You guys are making me jealous. I've put in quite a bit of time since RoS and I've only gotten 1 green piece for my DH and a few legendaries that are even upgrades.

I'm still missing so many build defining items:

Krindershot (hell, any legendary bow would be refreshing.. still rocking a 1h rare xbow)
Cindercoat
Any of the rings
etc

My time will come eventually.

I've played Wiz and DH exclusively for quite a bit of time and I'm still waiting for my first leg Source drop and my first 2H leg Bow drop. The only ones I had I had to craft to get.

Meanwhile, I've obtained no less than 7 of Rogar's Huge Stone, 4 Firewalkers, 4 Thundergod's belts, and multiple of some others I can't recall.

Not that they are bad items in and of themselves, but after one or two you start thinking about what you could have had for a leg in that hour. Instead of that fancy Forgotten Soul that dropped and got you excited.

As thought on WD haunt, its bit OP now as you can basically spam it on all enemies and due to the little mana cost and mana regen speed its basically free. And with any of the runes added to it, it goes from a bit OP to very OP - frankly with haunt the way it is now, it puts Locusts to shame as you can fire it 6 times for the price of 1 Locusts, and the base non runed Haunt is way better than the runed searing locusts IMO (costs a lot less and hits for double the damage).
Yeah, I immediately replaced searing locusts with Haunt yesterday. My only complaint about Haunt vs .locusts is that it seems easier to tell that locusts has been applied on enemies through all of the chaos on screen, whereas Haunt is rather ambiguous.

hobart

I've played Wiz and DH exclusively for quite a bit of time and I'm still waiting for my first leg Source drop and my first 2H leg Bow drop. The only ones I had I had to craft to get.

Meanwhile, I've obtained no less than 7 of Rogar's Huge Stone, 4 Firewalkers, 4 Thundergod's belts, and multiple of some others I can't recall.

Not that they are bad items in and of themselves, but after one or two you start thinking about what you could have had for a leg in that hour. Instead of that fancy Forgotten Soul that dropped and got you excited.

I'll take one of your Thundergod's Belts please.... :p

Keep the rings tho......

Is the puzzle ring really worthwhile? On torment, I feel like I rarely see whites enough for hi to spit out rares.

Also, my amulet only has 3 affixes, but the 100% CD is making it very hard to replace. I keep getting awful legendary amulets that aren't even close.

Tom Penny

Is ring of grandeur only a cache bounty in Act 1? I'm determined to get it. It's not a torment only item is it? I might just tempest rush speed run it an hope I get lucky. I'm also trying to craft 2 Caine items for additional 10% attack speed. Can anyone confirm if it's worth it?

ekimneems

Neo Member
Of course right after I got back into the game I looted a Thunderfury at level 61, but I enchanted the wrong stat (secondary instead of primary) and since it's 61 it's pretty crappy.

Can I get another one if there's already one equipped? Or does the loot system know not to drop a dupe of a legendary I already have?

The damage is way too low (1400 or so and I need it to be 2k). Damage type is right (Lightning) but I'm thinking it's just not worth keeping.

Is ring of grandeur only a cache bounty in Act 1? I'm determined to get it. It's not a torment only item is it? I might just tempest rush speed run it an hope I get lucky. I'm also trying to craft 2 Caine items for additional 10% attack speed. Can anyone confirm if it's worth it?

Yep, Act 1 bounty only. Difficulty doesn't matter. Could take a while though.
I needed about 50 bags :(

ParityBit

No it isn't bad. You'll need those mats too but if you have too many of the yellow mat then you should probably transition to selling for a while.

Okay, so this may sound stupid, but how many mats are too many? At least until you have to consider mining more?

As you can tell, I have not crafted anything yet (even though everything is level 12)

Okay, so this may sound stupid, but how many mats are too many? At least until you have to consider mining more?

As you can tell, I have not crafted anything yet (even though everything is level 12)

I don't use them for crafting. I use them for enchanting mostly. I've burned through them pretty quickly. I know it can take 5+/enchant. On the other hand, it costs ~10 million gold for a single flawless royal gem, and enchanting can be a gold sink as well.

Dahbomb

So it's not just WD and DH pets that got buffed in terms of critting off of your gear.

Skills like Call of the Ancients and Hydra of Wizard may also follow the same change. This change is making a lot of skills much better now.

I wonder how it applies to Falling Sword - Rise my Brothers skill.

Zemm

If no one told me about the changes to Frozen Orb there's no way I would have noticed today after playing for an hour or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom