• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
If no one told me about the changes to Frozen Orb there's no way I would have noticed today after playing for an hour or so.

no u must be confused wiz is nerfed worst class in gaem

dmr87

It's not the "join game, walk a little ways, free xp, quit game, repeat" freebie but I leveled my Crusader very efficiently with cursed events in adventure mode solo.

Load up on AE damage, check each bounty and look for cursed ones. Jump on those. Find the event and complete it. Each cursed event is generally worth 1-2 levels depending on your level.

It helps that I had a hellfire ring and socketed helm to augment my xp. I think I got to 60 in about 3-4 hours that way.

The fastest is still using a level 70 friend to join your T6 game and kill everything while you try not to die and enjoy the level a minute average.

edit: strictly talking about leveling a char, not grinding Paragon.. I realize now you may have been asking about that...

How I leveled pre patch was I created a private game on T6, got a level 70 friend to come in and do a rift for me (actually clear it) doing it in this manner I was able to level from 1 - 60 in roughly 45 minutes. at about level 60 t6 gets really rough for just 1 70.

Yes, only asking about leveling a character (60-70), used the Rakkis quest to boost my Wizard but they nerfed it before I could do my DH as well. Oh well, thanks for the answers.

Takuan

Didn't get much leg love last night on a few hours' worth of rift runs. Got plans for Cain's, a couple of souls, and bracers that are okay.

Messed around with skills and enabled thorns to see what the fuss was all about. I did notice some really big crits, but it can be hard to really get in there and taunt the entirety of the group with Justice as my main attack. I could swap it out for Punish, but Justice seems more effective in general (plus I'm lightning-spec).

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Last night when I was farming a skull of raylened to make my helm of rule, I got my 1 leg drop of the night which was a Bul Kathos ring. Now I'm not sure If I want to use that for the life steal proc or my justice lantern for the 16% block. CRUSADER PROBLEMS, AMIRITE

Really having a hard time coming up with a mirrorball setup that was as fun and effective as it used to be prior to the stealth nerfs. Ugh.... =(

Tom Penny

Is Blackthorn Set designed to troll you? It's weird. You see green and get happy..then it's meh. I've never got the amulet but I've given away the other pieces..enough for a couple of sets. I cannot get Inna Belt to drop and I believe Inna's is only 4 pieces so it's harder.

Anoregon

Would be nice if a kridershot dropped to go with my awesome new cold damage reaper's wraps.

Yeah I made a real solid holy dmg reapers last night, so between that and blazing sweep still being bugged I may have to retire my fire crusader build
until I get a maximus

It sucks that shield bash isn't considered melee for the purposes of Stalgard's axe proc. That would be a fun combo for a holy build.

I don't know what I did to please Kadala because she gave up these 2 within about 5s of dropping shards

UMpF2Qk.png

UzCTXIC.png

JCizzle

I got scourge last night with both strength and a socket. Might not be the best in the game, but I think it will finally let me complete my Lich King transmog and was an upgrade to my Skorn. Don't even need to enchant it because I really need the vitality it rolled with (had too much invested into armor & all res - was rolling with less than 200k health for bit).

mileS

I did believe Frozen Orb needed a radius nerf, but I think they overdid it honestly. You basically need mobs on top of eachother and at a specific range to get the most out of the skill. I'm of the opinion that they should have just made all the orb skills useful instead of just making them all terrible now, but oh well. I was using Thunderfury and Mirrorball so I got hit even harder than just Orb being pretty awful now.

Luckily I've been collecting other stuff because I knew this nerf was coming. Moving on to Arcane at least.

What really bothers me though honestly was that my friend's DH could deal 1 billion damage in under 10 seconds before the marauder set became overpowered with CHD being uncapped for "pets" and while I know he basically was glass cannon to achieve this, it was basically impossible for me to come close to that damage, even going all offense. People saw how well Wizard does because these glass cannon heroes that can't play a torment higher than 2 do so well. I mad.

bahahhahaha are you serious? You're using one of the best weapons, and STILL one of the best sources the game has to offer and you're talking like blizzard just nerfed the shit out of you. I even main a wizard and find this hilarious, I can only imagine what other people think of it.

Mirrorball was hardly nerfed hard. Yeah the way life on hit worked with it was changed because it was pretty overpowered on top of how stupidly overpowered the source is already. TF doesn't proc off all 3 missiles is what I'm assuming you're saying. Which again this is not even close to a big deal because TF continues to proc like crazy no matter what you do. If its just the 1 out of 3 missiles that procs it now, It's hardly a big deal.

I'd assume you're just reading the official wizard forums if that's what you're basing your information off. Which are honestly such a waste of time. People saying Mirrorball is completely useless because it doesn't give you Arcane Power on crit for all 3 missiles, saying if you use this to get your arcane power back you should just change builds. Why? I don't even have a level 70 mirrorball and MM continues to be a fantastic spell to get my AP back. Even if Blizzard nerfs the conflag ticks from Mirrorball it will still, hands down, be the best source in the game for most builds.

BashNasty

oh thank god I have gotten so many plans lately.

i'll brush it off as bad luck then.

Recall, too, that unless it's taking you a very, very long time between legendaries, there is no timer, it's pure RNG. It's not as though your chance to get a legendary is constantly ticking up until you get one. Most people will never experience the failsafe.

scy

Was I wrong to put Ruby's into my Crusaders pants with two sockets? Just noticed a few people posting items with Diamons in them for the Res All.

Late to this but you'll generally want Diamonds, not Rubies, in your gear unless you're super steamrolling the content. The mitigation bonus you get from it is larger than any other bonus you can slot so it's just ideal from a min/max perspective as it lets you get more important bigger damage stats on your other slots.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I haven't found a single class set item in nearly 100 hours of play. Matter of fact I haven't equipped a new item to my main character (wizard) since March 28... almost 2 weeks ago. All of my drops have been T.R.A.S.H. I'm finding legendaries (nearly 100 forgotten souls in storage) but never any good ones and not any that I could reroll into anything half way decent.

I've lost a lot of motivation to keep playing. Going to give it 2 more weeks. If I can't find something worth equipping by then I'm calling it quits and declaring loot 2.0, BOA, and the removal of the AH a failure. Sorry GAF.

Firemind

Recall, too, that unless it's taking you a very, very long time between legendaries, there is no timer, it's pure RNG. It's not as though your chance to get a legendary is constantly ticking up until you get one. Most people will never experience the failsafe.

I feel like if I didn't get a leg for more than half an hour, it pays off to gamble or open a few caches. Gotten a number of legs this way, but maybe I'm just superstitious and rng gonna rng.

I haven't found a single class set item in nearly 100 hours of play. Matter of fact I haven't equipped a new item to my main character (wizard) since March 28... almost 2 weeks ago. All of my drops have been T.R.A.S.H. I'm finding legendaries (nearly 100 forgotten souls in storage) but never any good ones and not any that I could reroll into anything half way decent.

I've lost a lot of motivation to keep playing. Going to give it 2 more weeks. If I can't find something worth equipping by then I'm calling it quits and declaring loot 2.0, BOA, and the removal of the AH a failure. Sorry GAF.
100 hours? Failure.

Mirrorball was hardly nerfed hard. Yeah the way life on hit worked with it was changed because it was pretty overpowered on top of how stupidly overpowered the source is already. TF doesn't proc off all 3 missiles is what I'm assuming you're saying. Which again this is not even close to a big deal because TF continues to proc like crazy no matter what you do. If its just the 1 out of 3 missiles that procs it now, It's hardly a big deal.

I recently got back into Diablo 3 but was having a hard time finding any legendary items that really changed up my gameplay. Mostly just boring items with higher-than-rare stats. But I was legitimately excited about dropping a Mirrorball and thunderfury (found them both on the same day). I didn't even know these items existed (wasn't on forums much).

I saw a big change in how effective my wizard was and I was having a lot of fun. I had no idea these items were "broken." I thought Blizzard actually tested this stuff in beta and when I finally got my hands on it, it was working as intended.

Then the patch hit and all I saw were nerfs to frozen orb and electrocute. I figured, "that's fine. I don't use frozen orb or electrocute." And continued to play. But... I was having a hard time. I noticed my life on hit wasn't working. I noticed my Thunderfury wasn't working as often either. I felt like my attacks were doing a lot less dmg and I was dying faster. So I dropped it down a torment level. Still having a much harder time. So I googled it....

Stealth nerfs to my brand new favorite items that actually made Diablo 3 fun for me.

They are still viable, yeah. But not as fun. I wonder why Blizzard doesn't have the balls to put these changes in their official patch notes. It's like they're ashamed.

Mugaaz

I honestly have no problem with the mirrorball and moonlight ward nerf. I hate the fucking mystery of stealth items nerfs though. Why isn't this stuff in the patch notes? Is it really that hard to just say "mlw has icd" etc? The items were broken as hell and deserved to be nerfed, but why the mystery? I shouldnt have to find out midcombat the stuff has been nerfed, scratching my head trying to figure out what's going on. It's dumb.

Won

Even with Endurence Steed is only 2 secs...and it doesn't break frozen anymore. So it went from bad to useless for me. Ok.

I honestly have no problem with the mirrorball and moonlight ward nerf. I hate the fucking mystery of stealth items nerfs though. Why isn't this stuff in the patch notes? Is it really that hard to just say "mlw has icd" etc? The items were broken as hell and deserved to be nerfed, but why the mystery? I shouldnt have to find out midcombat the stuff has been nerfed, scratching my head trying to figure out what's going on. It's dumb.

Yeeah. That's the worst, and exactly what I just went through. I didn't figure mirrorball was broken. But I should have known better because I was having too much fun with it.

I guess they don't want them in the patch notes because it's kinda like admitting they screwed up REALLY BADLY. I mean... they could easily have caught this in beta.

Frozen orb and electrocute were bugged. The bugs were fixed. That's fine. I understand that. But these items weren't bugged. They were working as designed, just really strong.

The biggest struggle in this game is finding the legendary items that are fun to use and change up the gameplay. There are still some I haven't found yet and really want to find. But... when you finally find them and they are nerfed, what's to get excited about?

Did shard of hate get nerfed? How did thunderfury get nerfed?
Thunderfury wasn't nerfed directly. More of a side effect of the Mirrorball nerf. Thunderfury doesn't proc on all 3 magic missiles from Mirrorball. Only from 1 of the missiles.

Tacitus_

If no one told me about the changes to Frozen Orb there's no way I would have noticed today after playing for an hour or so.

The AP regen change hurts it a lot more. I'm thinking of building around Wand of Woh that I got in my stash but I'd have to replace / re-enchant a shitload of gear since I have loads of +cold and no -cooldowns.

Nokterian

This is the truth. I've been doing adventure mode non stop since finishing Act V. I leveled my crusader up in adventure mode and now I'm trying to get through story mode for the Mathial drops and hating it. I like the freedom and randomness of Adventure mode. Story mode is so dull.

Act V was good and better then other acts combined buck loads of content a lot to do but yeah Adventure Mode is what i wanted 2 years ago. Because i got tired before the release of RoS doing those fucking quests again...and again etc.

Sanctuary

The changes are mostly a compound effect of the typical spec, not just Orb itself. Even if you aimed your Orbs--I didn't actually know people just blindly spammed the screen without aiming until I was informed on Battle.net that "everyone" braindead speammed--the explosion was rather large, and would easily hit many enemies outside of the path your Orb was travelling. 2-3 straight shots of an Orb and you could decimate large packs. It's not quite that easy now. The radius of the explosion was radically cut.

On top of that Cold Blooded now last for less time. This isn't really that much of an issue if you're constantly spamming Orbs on your target, but it does mean that in conjunction to the reduced radius of the explosion, more enemies end up unsnared and without the damage debuff much earlier than before that are on the perimeter.

The main thing that hurt the spec though was the change to Electrocute and Prodigy (they also nerfed Mirrorball, so the returns on that are dead too) in regards to Arcane Power gains. You spend a lot more time using your signature spell than previously required. The spec isn't dead, and it still kills things well enough, but it's definitely nowhere near as strong as what it was.

The irony is that some Demon Hunter specs were already as good as the FO build, and they just got a few buffs.

I just said "fuck it" and decided to finally go Disintegrate. Had been meaning to for a while anyway. It was better than Orb as it was on anything higher than T2. Its main downside was that it was less mobile; but you can just run past large packs now and go turret mode, instead of casting as you move like with Orb. If you were already using Archon (many FO builds did), it just gets even better in a Disintegrate build.

Mugaaz

Yeeah. That's the worst, and exactly what I just went through. I didn't figure mirrorball was broken. But I should have known better because I was having too much fun with it.
But... when you finally find them and they are nerfed, what's to get excited about?

Dude, no, just no. Bitching it was stealth nerfed is fine. However, it absolutely needed to be nerfed. It was a stupid item, it made everything else a joke. It didn't increase build diversity, it eliminated it. People who weren't using MLW/Mirrorball weren't playing a different build, they were just DOING IT WRONG. That's not an item that opens new builds, that's an item that eliminates builds. Right now it's exactly where it should be, it makes MM conflag a viable build, and honestly it's not like arcane misses isn't viable, though prolly not worth doing. Items should open new builds, not eliminate all other options from contention.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Couple questions here that I'm not sure of, hoping you guys can offer some insight. Does + physical damage and + phalanx damage increase the damage done by the minions you summon if you use bowman or guards? Or would + physical just apply to black weapon dps and only increase it from there?

Considering making some sort of minion build for crusader just to see how it would do.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Thunderfury wasn't nerfed directly. More of a side effect of the Mirrorball nerf. Thunderfury doesn't proc on all 3 magic missiles from Mirrorball. Only from 1 of the missiles.

Phew okay, I was worried that the almost 100% proc chance per attack on TF and Shard were bugs and not intentional, I'm glad that's stayin in the game.

Is anyone playing a barb? Is there a fun build out there right now?

I play barb now, the most fun build is shard of hate with all lightning skills and wind shear on whirl wind.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bhdiRk!VUcY!YYZbcc

I swap out ignore pain when I'm not doing T3 for whatever else, some times I use frenzy instead of cleave. Basically you cleave a bit to rev up your engines, put up your shouts and hold down right click while spamming over power.

note: Requires shard of hate and high crit.

Dude, no, just no. Bitching it was stealth nerfed is fine. However, it absolutely needed to be nerfed. It was a stupid item, it made everything else a joke. It didn't increase build diversity, it eliminated it. People who weren't using MLW/Mirrorball weren't playing a different build, they were just DOING IT WRONG. That's not an item that opens new builds, that's an item that eliminates builds. Right now it's exactly where it should be, it makes MM conflag a viable build, and honestly it's not like arcane misses isn't viable, though prolly not worth doing. Items should open new builds, not eliminate all other options from contention.

This.

Sanctuary

Sure, if they actually implemented more than TWO items that anyone would ever give a shit about that promoted build diversity. Right now that's not the case. But that's always been the Blizzard way. Don't increase things lacking, just chop of things that are "broken" in comparison.

mileS

I recently got back into Diablo 3 but was having a hard time finding any legendary items that really changed up my gameplay. Mostly just boring items with higher-than-rare stats. But I was legitimately excited about dropping a Mirrorball and thunderfury (found them both on the same day). I didn't even know these items existed (wasn't on forums much).

I saw a big change in how effective my wizard was and I was having a lot of fun. I had no idea these items were "broken." I thought Blizzard actually tested this stuff in beta and when I finally got my hands on it, it was working as intended.

Then the patch hit and all I saw were nerfs to frozen orb and electrocute. I figured, "that's fine. I don't use frozen orb or electrocute." And continued to play. But... I was having a hard time. I noticed my life on hit wasn't working. I noticed my Thunderfury wasn't working as often either. I felt like my attacks were doing a lot less dmg and I was dying faster. So I dropped it down a torment level. Still having a much harder time. So I googled it....

Stealth nerfs to my brand new favorite items that actually made Diablo 3 fun for me.

They are still viable, yeah. But not as fun. I wonder why Blizzard doesn't have the balls to put these changes in their official patch notes. It's like they're ashamed.

Not to sound like an ass. but if you honestly had to bump your torment level down because of the Mirrorball "nerf" you need to re-think the way your build worked. I run with no life on hit (because it honestly sucks for the Wizard, Have tried just about everything) You don't need life on hit. I do t3-t4 without much problems and my toughness is still fairly low.

Lets get down to it. Show me the links you viewed that talked about the Mirrorball and Thunderfury nerfs. What are you reading the official D3 forums or something? The Mirrorball nerf is not going to make you do less damage. The Thunderfury wasn't even nerfed, it just procs less from the 2 extra magic missile's from the ball now (which I said earlier and I will say again, still procs a STUPID amount off of anything you do). None of these changes will make you die faster, none of these changes make the game LESS FUN. The only way you could even argue that it does, is simply saying you took great fun away from the fact that you could get broken amounts of life on hit back from Magic Missile. This is purely a case of reading to much bullshit on the forum, getting in game and letting it change the way you view everything. It's not a matter of opinion here. You do not do less dmg now, and you do not die faster. The only one you could argue here is not being able to keep your health up as well anymore due to less life on hit with extra mirrorball missiles. And like I was trying to say, if thats what you relied on keeping you alive, you need to re-think the way your build is.

The items are far from "still viable" they continue to be hands down some of the best Wizard items in the game. The changes do not effect the "fun" or build changing options whatsoever.

tjohn86

Phew okay, I was worried that the almost 100% proc chance per attack on TF and Shard were bugs and not intentional, I'm glad that's stayin in the game.

I play barb now, the most fun build is shard of hate with all lightning skills and wind shear on whirl wind.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bhdiRk!VUcY!YYZbcc

I swap out ignore pain when I'm not doing T3 for whatever else, some times I use frenzy instead of cleave. Basically you cleave a bit to rev up your engines, put up your shouts and hold down right click while spamming over power.

note: Requires shard of hate and high crit.

I don't have a shard of hate, would this build still work for me on T1? Just got my barb to 70 after leaving him alone for quite some time.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/tjohn86-1840/hero/1818746

Sure, if they actually implemented more than TWO items that anyone would ever give a shit about that promoted build diversity. Right now that's not the case. But that's always been the Blizzard way. Don't increase things lacking, just chop of things that are "broken" in comparison.

Yea because TF and MB were the only two items for wizard that introduced build diversity.

My eyes...they roll.

I thought most people were STILL using frozen orb even though Mirrorballs existed. It's still incredibly strong.

I actually started out with MM conflag. I only switched to arcane because I found gear with arcane\disintegrate that were otherwise really good.

I've sinced moved back to MM conflag. With 3 missiles and piercing, That's a lot of AOE dmg. And now, with stacks still working on all 3, I can only imagine that will get nerfed too. Right? There's no way they're going to leave it like that.

Not to sound like an ass. but if you honestly had to bump your torment level down because of the Mirrorball "nerf" you need to re-think the way your build worked. I run with no life on hit (because it honestly sucks for the Wizard, Have tried just about everything) You don't need life on hit. I do t3-t4 without much problems and my toughness is still fairly low.
There's absolutely no way I could survive T4. T3 is incredibly hard for me. That's with 1.5m DPS and 10m toughness. Though toughness is really misleading. I have a lot of life. I think I need to find a way to get more resist\armor instead. Just need to find better gear.

It really did come down to life on hit, because I have about 6,500 or so via my weapon and paragon. Losing that really affected my ability to heal back up. Doing less dmg is likely a side effect of me actively running around trying to avoid getting hit because I can't afford the dmg loss as much. I can't stand there and wail on enemies.

I can do T2 rifts now comfortably. I guess I just need more dmg mitigation before moving back up to T3.

Dis rift...

Went on forever and was full of nothing but those demon babies.

I had one last night that was just straight line hallways and 90 degree angles. It was so long that it took three screenshots to capture it all. When I hit the door down, I had only gotten 23% of the bar full, too. So weird.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I don't have a shard of hate, would this build still work for me on T1? Just got my barb to 70 after leaving him alone for quite some time.

It should but it might be slowish. You've got the crit to support it and the toughness / damage but without shard it might feel slow.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Drilling-1463/hero/3811704

This is my barb for comparison, shard of hate really makes the build because of it's insanely high proc coefficient with whirlwind, you're welcome to give the build a shot without shard though, but I basically put this together for shard. It's more fun than my crusader at the moment.

If you get some life per fury spent and maybe play with your passives to use unforgiving you could easily make it into a near perma WW build that also heals you.

It could be fun but honestly a regular HotA build would probably be better without shard.

Meh. There's a pretty long list of items I'd like to have, none of which I consider better than any other.

People talk a lot of shit about Shard of Hate and TF, but there are several other items I'd much rather have.

V_Arnold

I am a horrible person, but I enjoy and get enraged by people crying over droprate in T6 chest runs and/or people having the *luck* to have the best items complain that they cant do t5/t6 anymore thanks to a slight nerf.

It just brings me through a wild range of emotions, like a rollercoaster. First Tristam Problems, hell yeah!

TheYanger

I've had this ring for weeks and have never seen the little goblin spit out an item. I'm sure I get 15 items but never get any reward unless I am missing something?

It won't count if you leave the game, so you need to make sure you get 15 within the same game. (or whatever number your ring needs). Also make sure it's stuff he's getting, don't pick them up yourself.

lt519

Maybe, you have almost no All-Res so you might find elites tough, but damage wise you are OK. Start thinking about getting more All-res instead of Vit and pick a skill element and find a bracer that uses that element (I see you use Maniac on Frenzy so you can look at my barb). Your damage is fine but you look a little paper buffed on the toughness side since it is all Vit related. A very easy fix is sacrifice some damage on the chest and place All-Res gems in there. After your crit damage you are plenty powerful for T1.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/RARBUSTO-1251/hero/40910978

Re-rolling the crit chance on your bracers to 15% fire damage will boost your effective dps immensely since you have the frenzy maniac rune.

It won't count if you leave the game, so you need to make sure you get 15 within the same game. (or whatever number your ring needs). Also make sure it's stuff he's getting, don't pick them up yourself.

I've definitely seen him pick up more than 15 items during a single game, honestly he just steals my greys/whites and nothing ever happens. He beat me to picking up a few Ascended items too. It's not a huge problem but I just want to benefit from the goblin at least once.

scy

I thought most people were STILL using frozen orb even though Mirrorballs existed. It's still incredibly strong.

Not everyone had Mirrorball. And Frozen Orb's greatest strength was that it worked without a huge amount of gear. Once you get the proper gear in place, it's no where near as good as other options even pre-patch.

lt519

It should but it might be slowish. You've got the crit to support it and the toughness / damage but without shard it might feel slow.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Drilling-1463/hero/3811704

This is my barb for comparison, shard of hate really makes the build because of it's insanely high proc coefficient with whirlwind, you're welcome to give the build a shot without shard though, but I basically put this together for shard. It's more fun than my crusader at the moment.

If you get some life per fury spent and maybe play with your passives to use unforgiving you could easily make it into a near perma WW build that also heals you.

It could be fun but honestly a regular HotA build would probably be better without shard.

Same goes for your build, you could re-roll those bracers for 20% lightning damage bonus which would outweigh the crit hit chance bonus. Imagine 20% more damage on all your whirlwind attacks.

People need to start paying more attention to elemental bonuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom