• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

I've been favoring rubies in my quest to 1 million damage. I get +960 Str from gems and then more from the Finery passive. In a "balanced" build I do about 825K buffed and have 5 million toughness. I suppose if I want to be able to run higher difficulty rifts, I should focus on getting my toughness up, and then maybe I'll be able to forgo vit over other stats on my items.

The thing is, how much STR do you have? Going from, say, 7000 STR to 8000 STR is around a +14% Damage upgrade for 1000 STR. Up to you if that seems like a good return, I guess, but I'd rather just get the Diamonds and change defensive stats on other slots for +Skill Damage% and stuff like that.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The thing is, how much STR do you have? Going from, say, 7000 STR to 8000 STR is around a +14% Damage upgrade for 1000 STR. Up to you if that seems like a good return, I guess, but I'd rather just get the Diamonds and change defensive stats on other slots for +Skill Damage% and stuff like that.

Yeah I've been thinking about doing this as well but I've only got 5 mil and i'd need to craft a play set of at least royal diamonds to put this to use.

It's a good idea, since you can get like 190 Resist all on just your chest so you can ditch it on bracers, rings and pants without losing much toughness.

You'll get clobbered later on for not having enough Res All. It is looking good though. You are about in line with my strength, vit and crit dmg but you'll get crushed on higher torments without more all-res. Try re-rolling your chest armor's Armor stat for 3 sockets and get a bonus of 270 res-all. That'll greatly increase your toughness and survivability.

You have a ton crit dmg but your crit hit chance is only at like 20%. Maybe try buffing that a bit, you'll see a lot of damage gains there. (Re-roll the gloves cooldown stat for 10% crit chance). I'd maybe trade the MF stone on the helm for a Life % stone, you'll gain over 70k life.

Those changes should be enough to push you into T3. Elemental stacking should soon be a priority to make that push into T4.

Edit: I may even re-roll the armor on the belt for Res-All. Just a thought. The IAS looks good for your build since you have a good amount of LPH

Thanks for the feedback, I was thinking about rerolling the my armor bonus on my armor into sockets. Also thinking of rerolling armor on my belt to resists. Definitely going to switch out the stone on my helm later. Right now just trying to get more drops. I found the plan for the reaper wraps so trying to get that. Good advice on the gloves too, didn't realize I could reroll it for that.

rakhir

I used AT exclusively until I got Mirrorball, and I may go back to it. Use arcane dynamo and a fast primary to build stack. I also used black hole, but besides that 3 buffs, as Archon sucks imo once you get the +AT on all your items. You want around 4 APOC to sustain vs crowds indefinitely, or you can use Lightning Armor / PoTS. Resource cost reduction via PP may be needed if you have no APOC. AT is better the beam imo, not close at all when I compared them, especially since BH. AT has much better coef and LoH/procs are actually not worthless with AT, unlike beam. As funny as it sounds, increased arcane power via PP isn't the worst either, since you don't need infinite AT, you just need it to last long enough to kill everything. With 4 APOC you will only go dry vs rift bosses.
Hmm, thanks - i really should have thought about changing the spells to straight up buffing AT.

This build looks better?
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WeTNjQ!STXY!baZcac
I don't have enought APOC to maintain endless AT, so i picked Astral Presence.
Also, what's the better AT rune - Disruption or Cascade?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/DreamVisions-1571/hero/3314095

no, torrent does not suck. yes, most arcane wizards build around torrent.

thanks, i totally forgot Familiar exists.

lt519

Thanks for the feedback, I was thinking about rerolling the my armor bonus on my armor into sockets. Also thinking of rerolling armor on my belt to resists. Definitely going to switch out the stone on my helm later. Right now just trying to get more drops. I found the plan for the reaper wraps so trying to get that. Good advice on the gloves too, didn't realize I could reroll it for that.

No problem, the helm is also an option to re-roll armor for crit chance as well. But you don't have an armor buff of 25% like I do so I don't know how much lower I'd go on that. Depends on your balance right now, if you can get a good roll on the gloves first I would do that. You won't even notice a difference in 7% cooldown rate not being there.

I hate using a lot of active skills, so I made a Wizard whose theme is Passive Cold Wizard.

I have only 2 active skills - Ray of Frost on left mouse, and Blizzard on Right Mouse. I chose the two options that reduce their Arcane Power Cost to 11 and 13 respectively.

Then my 1-4 buttons are the Arcane Orbs, Cold Armor, Cold Familiar, and I think the Arcane Magical Weapon skill - essentially 4 passives that I have to keep up every once in a while - the Arcane Orbs most of the time.

My passives are of course Cold Blooded, Astral Presence (for all the arcane power I use), Unwavering Will (because I am standing still a lot shooting my beam and keeping people away) and lastly Audacity because once they get to me they usually freeze and I can nuke them up close.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#ZlcfSj!XWSi!abZaZZ

It is an extremely simple build to play and seems effective, though I have had some troubles with survivability in certain circumstances. I might trade our Audacity for one of the shield-creating passives.

As for gear I focus on cold skill dmg increases, and Ray of Frost or Blizzard dmg increases.

It also helps that my follower is the Enchantress who turns them into chickens and knocks them back which gives me more maneuverability and delays them getting to me.

garath

I spent my lunch trying a Fissure build with my crusader (who is only 66 now)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/crusader#UkYilQ!aeS!bbbYZb

Somehow it did not feel like 400% weapon damage. I think Heaven's tempest might be a better given how much time I was facetanking. I had trouble getting fissures placed in such a way that it was arc'ing properly for the extra damage. Seems like I can get more out of just stacking heaven's tempest on the strongest enemies and let condemn blow up the rest.

Akarat's champion with rally was awesome though. I kind of like this build minus fissure. Once my gear comes together I might try the law for crit damage instead of Heaven's fury.. though Heaven's fury was a sizeable amount of dps for me.

edit: profile lol

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/garath-1132/hero/45165523

I hate using a lot of active skills, so I made a Wizard whose theme is Cold Wizard.

I have only 2 active skills - Ray of Frost on left mouse, and Blizzard on Right Mouse. I chose the two options that reduce their Arcane Power Cost to 11 and 13 respectively.

Then my 1-4 buttons are the Arcane Orbs, Cold Armor, Cold Familiar, and I think the Arcane Magical Weapon skill - essentially 4 passives that I have to keep up every once in a while - the Arcane Orbs most of the time.

My passives are of course Cold Blooded, Astral Presence (for all the arcane power I use), Unwavering Will (because I am standing still a lot shooting my beam and keeping people away) and lastly Audacity because once they get to me they usually freeze and I can nuke them up close.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#ZlcfSj!XWSi!abZaZZ

It is an extremely simple build to play and seems effective, though I have had some troubles with survivability in certain circumstances. I might trade our Audacity for one of the shield-creating passives.

As for gear I focus on cold skill dmg increases, and Ray of Frost or Blizzard dmg increases.

why are people linking their skill builds?

link your damn profile so we can assess reasons for survivability issues. why would you even go through the work of doing all of that when you could have just linked your actual Wizard's page?

why are people linking their skill builds?

link your damn profile so we can assess reasons for survivability issues. why would you even go through the work of doing all of that when you could have just linked your actual Wizard's page?

Here ya go.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/randomengine-1499/hero/10551288

I really need to change the fire dmg increase on that amulet to cold via enchanting and that magic missle dmg on the belt. Though none of that has to do with my survivability other than offense as defense.

Crisco

Banned
Here ya go.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/randomengine-1499/hero/10551288

I really need to change the fire dmg increase on that amulet to cold via enchanting and that magic missle dmg on the belt. Though none of that has to do with my survivability other than offense as defense.

I can't imagine a wizard build that doesn't include Black Hole. With some cooldown reduction, it's a pretty amazing crowd control spell and damage amplifier. You really need at least one active CC ability or you'll always struggle to survive against certain types of mobs.

My buddy and I have started farming for the lvl 70 Hellfire. Are we at the tip of the spear or behind the times?

Who here has the ring already?

hellfireringaisd7.png
sorry for the borked image i just pasted it in paint and forgot to resize :p

I would not suggest you farm this ring

-you no longer get to choose a stat when you craft it, it seriously just rolls 5 random properties + the xp passive and proc, the odds of gettign a good roll are almost nil (look at how many rare rings you find that are trash, 99 out of 100?) and you might not even get your main stat on it

-the proc on it is worthless, rarely procs and does very little dmg compared to your other abilities at 70

-the bonus exp applies to base exp, so on torment 1 you get 445 percent exp with it instead of 400 percent, a negligable increase if you're after paragon levels
-leveling alts now takes <2 hours with hellfire rifts on t6 so you don't use the ring to level alts anyhow

OT: man these act5 chest farming runs are amazing, it just rains legendaries
15+ in the past 2 hours among which a 3 socket good roll set chest and a good magefist , another guy in the group got warzechian, set shoulders and a potion, and a friend in my group got his set gloves with a good roll and a bunch of other stuff

I can't imagine a wizard build that doesn't include Black Hole. With some cooldown reduction, it's a pretty amazing crowd control spell and damage amplifier. You really need at least one active CC ability or you'll always struggle to survive against certain types of mobs.

It wasn't so much the mobs that were giving me trouble, I was in an event in Act V with the spinning flame hazards and it just totally hosed me hard.

Blizzard works pretty well to slow them down and with my other freezing abilities and my enchanting turning them into chickens and shit. I feel like I have a fair amount of CC at least for now.

Another issue with Black Hole is yes the cooldown. Ray of Frost as awesome as it is is single-point so when I need to kill in a wide range I can set numerous blizzards in different parts of the screen and ray the rest. It is very useful and I miss not being able to do it. I replaced blizzard with black hole early on, but I just was not feeling it.

Keep in mind I got five legendaries between last night and this morning and there is only one legendary between these...

7Spcla2.jpg

UrEmdGP.jpg

Everything was repeats.

Edit: Took out smart loot "joke".

15+ in the past 2 hours among which a 3 socket good roll set chest and a good magefist , another guy in the group got warzechian, set shoulders and a potion, and a friend in my group got his set gloves with a good roll and a bunch of other stuff

I need to find a group doing this so I can see it for myself. Really frustrating to see people say this when I get about 1 legendary every 1 - 2 hours doing rifts.

traveler

Not Wario
So here is some smart loot. Keep in mind I got five legendaries between last night and this morning and there is only one legendary between these...

7Spcla2.jpg

UrEmdGP.jpg

Everything was repeats.

I've been having the same thing. Nearly every legendary I've gotten, I've gotten multiples of in a small time frame. I haven't seen the vast majority of legs, but somehow whenever I do see one, I see it again relatively soon. I wonder if there is a dynamic drop rate to legs and Blizz actually adjusts so that some legendaries are more common than others at any given time, and then less common later. Probably just rng.

Tom Penny

Was listening to a monk "guide " on you tube. Dude actually said he doesn't believe in resistances. He had 1300 and said there would be no difference in damage reduction at higher torment levels.

datamage

So here is some smart loot. Keep in mind I got five legendaries between last night and this morning and there is only one legendary between these...

7Spcla2.jpg

UrEmdGP.jpg

Everything was repeats.

Smart loot helps ensure that the items you get have stats that pertain to your character, it has nothing to do with the types of items that drop.

J2d

I started playing barb after watching Alkaizer's stream yesterday, anyone know if there's a certain spot to farm chilaniks chain or does it drop anywhere?

Mugaaz

Hmm, thanks - i really should have thought about changing the spells to straight up buffing AT.

This build looks better?
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WeTNjQ!STXY!baZcac
I don't have enought APOC to maintain endless AT, so i picked Astral Presence.
Also, what's the better AT rune - Disruption or Cascade?

thanks, i totally forgot Familiar exists.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WeTNjS!SZXT!baZbYc

Primary builder slot 100% user preference IMO. I don't understand spellsteal on BH at all, you wizards realize event horizon does everything right? You basically cannot die to anything with event horizon. Arcanot is needed if you have no APOC.

Takuan

I'm in the mid-high 7000s IIRC, so swapping out the rubies for diamonds will put me in the mid 6000s presumably. Man, that's going to cost a lot... but I get what you mean, I don't use my +15% lightning Rondal's ammy currently because the toughness loss is too much. I'll add the resists in tonight and see how that affects things.

Mugaaz

Was listening to a monk "guide " on you tube. Dude actually said he doesn't believe in resistances. He had 1300 and said there would be no difference in damage reduction at higher torment levels.

Diablo players are some of the dumbest people on the planet. I've seen cold wizards picking glass cannon over cold blooded, because glass cannon increases sheet dps. Cant overstate how dumb the community is. if something is a proc, they think it sucks vs any item which increases sheet dps by 0.1%. They ask questions like how much dmg/toughness they need for Torment X, on softcore, when the stats are completely useless and they could easily check for themselves in 5 seconds whether they should up torment levels. Seen guys ask which stat to reroll with an item that has life regen, capped primary, and cc. People think there is no decrease in dps when they lose 15% dmg changing to an item with +15% to an element. Seen people ask whether +30% to elites is good or not. Seen people who think 99AR is better than 12% reduced elite damage. Diablo players are DUMB DUMB DUMB.

Dahbomb

7Spcla2.jpg

UrEmdGP.jpg

Everything was repeats.
This is not what Smart loot does. It increases the chance of that item that you get to have a stat for your class. So those items probably had the main stat of your class.

It does not prevent repeat Legendary drops.

Diablo players are some of the dumbest people on the planet. I've seen cold wizards picking glass cannon over cold blooded, because glass cannon increases sheet dps.

I prefer cold blooded because it increase my sleet DPS.

buh-dum-tss! I'll see myself out.

Keep in mind I got five legendaries between last night and this morning and there is only one legendary between these...

7Spcla2.jpg

UrEmdGP.jpg

Everything was repeats.

Edit: Took out smart loot "joke".

Welcome to the club bro.

OT: man these act5 chest farming runs are amazing, it just rains legendaries

that's the "T6 split up and everyone run around and open all chests in the entire act, then loop around and check areas for legendaries" plan, right?

Thanks, feels shit! All I want is a significant mojo.

All I want is not another Rogar's Huge Stone. By far the most useless item in the game next to Flavor of Time. I've never, ever seen a Rogar's roll well.

Wallach

In general, players are "dumb" when it comes to min/max things. This is especially true when there's an easily provided stat to track that misses a lot of variables.

Or in the case of ones like Toughness, actually include variables (dodge) that they probably shouldn't be including in the forward-facing value.

scy

I got my daily Blackthorne drop out of the way early. Now I just need a Blackguard, Irontoe, Firewalkers, Slave Bonds, and Leoric's Crown before I can see something new.

Or in the case of ones like Toughness, actually include variables (dodge) that they probably shouldn't be including in the forward-facing value.

Or single resists.

What's that, +700 Poison Resist? Triple that Toughness stat!

lt519

Diablo players are some of the dumbest people on the planet. I've seen cold wizards picking glass cannon over cold blooded, because glass cannon increases sheet dps. Cant overstate how dumb the community is. if something is a proc, they think it sucks vs any item which increases sheet dps by 0.1%. They ask questions like how much dmg/toughness they need for Torment X, on softcore, when the stats are completely useless and they could easily check for themselves in 5 seconds whether they should up torment levels. Seen guys ask which stat to reroll with an item that has life regen, capped primary, and cc. People think there is no decrease in dps when they lose 15% dmg changing to an item with +15% to an element. Seen people ask whether +30% to elites is good or not. Seen people who think 99AR is better than 12% reduced elite damage. Diablo players are DUMB DUMB DUMB.

Little harsh. It's not exactly a piece of cake to understand how it all works especially when they dangle dumb green % values in front of you. I almost blame Blizzard for that. People asking if they can do Torment is really another way of saying "What do I need to do improve to do Torment?"

But help them instead of calling them dumb. Many people come in here asking for help which in it's own is tough to do sometimes because they don't know what's best because Blizzard makes it confusing as hell with the dumb percentages.

Dahbomb

Yeah calling people dumb because of Blizzard's inability to create accurate stats in-game is definitely harsh. Sometimes it really isn't clear if something is an upgrade or not especially when comparing procs. Not everyone is going to be doing Ghom DPS checks just to see which item/build does more damage.

Some things are obvious... some aren't.

Wallach

What's the fastest you guys have cleared a T1 rift? I had a pretty sweet layout last night that was like 3:30, where my average in T1 is closer to 6 minutes. Especially interested in video as I don't play much other than DH besides my WD (which I haven't hardly touched in RoS except to hit 70) and want to see how people are doing speed runs on other classes.

Dahbomb

Fastest I have done is 6 minutes. I will probably do it faster with my DH since with Monk it's slower (you have to actually get in range where as with DH you can one shot them from far then Vault to the next mob zone).

You also have to get really lucky with the Rifts.

scy

Little harsh. It's not exactly a piece of cake to understand how it all works especially when they dangle dumb green % values in front of you. I almost blame Blizzard for that. People asking if they can do Torment is really another way of saying "What do I need to do improve to do Torment?"

But help them instead of calling them dumb. Many people come in here asking for help which in it's own is tough to do sometimes because they don't know what's best because Blizzard makes it confusing as hell with the dumb percentages.

I mean, it's not really Blizzard's fault outright. How do you truly display situational bonuses like single Skill bonuses? Elemental bonuses? Elite only bonuses? Granted, there should be a better advanced set of stats to display these but the Damage value does a "decent" job of representing most things. It has some bloat in it still (IAS% primarily) but it's "good enough" as long as people are aware of the other multipliers working behind the scenes so to speak.

Speaking of, give me a fucking training dummy in town or something. I mean, I guess Ghom is basically that but still.

Tom Penny

It does depend though. I have a full Blackthorn and rolled 10% less damage from elites..so actually get 20% due to set bonus and 10% extra damage against elites and immune to molten, plague and desicrate and don't even use all 4 piece because I don't care about the immune stats. I'd rather have the extra damage and resists from my vigor belt that rolled 299 lighting resist which is my main monk resist. Probably not smart at T5 / T6.

eek5

What's the fastest you guys have cleared a T1 rift? I had a pretty sweet layout last night that was like 3:30, where my average in T1 is closer to 6 minutes. Especially interested in video as I don't play much other than DH besides my WD (which I haven't hardly touched in RoS except to hit 70) and want to see how people are doing speed runs on other classes.

Never time them but over 5 mins because I didn't get the achievement until doing normal runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom