• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lionelhutz

You receive a benefit but it's not the sort of benefit that affects your sheet DPS, toughness or healing.

For example, the bonus fire damage and fire skill cost reduction on Cindercoat does not show up on the sheet stats above but they have a very real and powerful benefit.

Basically it's for stats where the benefit can't be quantified as a simple DPS, toughness or healing change.

Thanks. Lots of stuff to catch up on after being away from the game for so long.

jblank83

I've never seen a 2H that I would use on my Wizard. Cru is a diff story because of the passive that allows 2H wielded as 1H, but other than that, they still seem bad.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
So, are 2h weapons still shit at lvl 70? Even after I get a staff with ~500 more DPS than my 1h sword, its still worst overall with my offhand in consideration.

papm9jT.png

Well... that 2H is definitely more powerful, too bad +%damage is bugged and only applies to black damage right now

Also... get sockets and emeralds in your weapons :p

Dahbomb

I wouldn't use 2H for anything except:

Crusaders (almost mandatory for them with that passive)
Monks (Tempest Rush build)
Demon Hunters (because they can use Quivers with 2H bows)

I have a 2H Daibo in my stash that doubles my attack speed. I want to give it a whirl just to see how it plays out... but then I lose out on the 135% crit hit damage. The story of all 2Hs really.

Of the 2H weapons I really like Maximus. It has two useful attributes, the fire damage and the fire chain effect which hurts a lot.

"Bug Fixes
Legendary Follower relics will no longer roll incorrect Primary stats"
Yeah I got that same exact Legendary today and it rolled Dexterity. I wondered the same thing..

I asked this a couple pages back but it was the last post of the page.

As someone who lost interest around level 40+ during the first month of the game's release, is this expansion for me? I'm fairly interested and played an act of the newest patch and it seems okay but I really didn't notice any difference with the drops except there were more of them, mostly still junk.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Well... that 2H is definitely more powerful, too bad +%damage is bugged and only applies to black damage right now

Also... get sockets and emeralds in your weapons :p

Too bad that if i enchant my 1h sword for a socket, i'll lose all that intellect. :p

Wallach

Regarding pet damage:

Nevalistis said:
Wish granted. :)

This is indeed an intended change, and the amount of benefit provided to pets does not have a cap. Critical Hit Damage now scales for all pets, from Witch Doctors to Demon Hunters. This actually also includes stationary pets, such as Sentries and Hydras.

Apologies for the delay in communication on this one, but we always want to be sure the information we're providing is full and accurate, and it took me some time to check with all the appropriate folks that this was an actual change and not a bug. We'll be updating the patch notes to reflect this information as well.

That's that.

ElyrionX

Yeah, I average one legendary per Rift at the moment already (T2, solo) ... this will make it 1 - 2 per Rift. Too much? We might be headed there now.

One leg per Rift? WTF. What are you doing? Black magic? I think I average 1 leg every 3 to 4 Rifts. 1 leg per Rift is a ridiculously high drop rate.

Dahbomb

Yeah it's good that it was an intended change. It makes some skills like Call of the Ancients, Hydra even Monk Mystic Ally much better and usable. Plus some of the Legendary proc minions.

Some of the WD pets will probably get a tuning though.

ElyrionX

Some of the stuff I found just today doing 2-3 hours worth of Rifting.

If this qualifies as "nothing" then please game.. continue to give me more of "nothing".

loot.jpg

That's crazy. Are you wearing MF gear? Out of two weeks of playing, I probably only get that kind of drop rate once a week. Most of the time, two to three hours of Rifting (assuming each Rift takes 20-30 mins to clear) will net me two to three legs max. Unless you're clearing those Rifts much faster than I am (unlikely since I am facerolling stuff most of the time) or at a much higher level than I am (I do T2 most of the time), I don't see how your drop rate can be sustained at that level all the time.

Dahbomb

Glad to hear it, unfortunately this means a bunch of people who play neither class will whine incessantly about DH/WD's pet buffs because...no clue.
Pretty much every class has some type of "pet" skill.

Wizards have Hydras.
Barbs have Call of the Ancients.
Monks have Mystic Ally.
Crusaders have Falling Sword - Rise my Brothers

Not to mention all those Legendaries that proc an extra minion for you. So this doesn't just affect one class.

That's crazy. Are you wearing MF gear? Out of two weeks of playing, I probably only get that kind of drop rate once a week. Most of the time, two to three hours of Rifting (assuming each Rift takes 20-30 mins to clear) will net me two to three legs max. Unless you're clearing those Rifts much faster than I am (unlikely since I am facerolling stuff most of the time) or at a much higher level than I am (I do T2 most of the time), I don't see how your drop rate can be sustained at that level all the time.
Those drops were better than average I will admit. Yesterday I got crap and almost thought that it wasn't working as intended but before that it was mostly the same as today. Also that fist I did not get today, I accidentally included it in the pic without realizing it... I did get a fist today but it wasn't good and it was salvaged immediately.

Basically I always run in groups (4 stack) and most of the time I clear a Rift/some zones. This generally comes from experience but some areas have a crap ton of Elites and you basically have to clear that map for maximum value. The group also tries to stick together and we try to TP together so that no one is missing out on the MF bonuses. In addition, it can't be stressed enough that every zone needs to be checked when you TP in late because a Legendary could've dropped in a previous zone (like say your party just entered a new zone and you TP'd to the new zone without checking the previous one for a dropped Legendary). I have quite a few times accidentally stumbled upon a Legendary this way (went back in a zone and saw the star icon on the map).

And this drop rate is after the most recent path... before I would get like 1 Legendary per 4 Rifts (usually the one hour mark where you get the guaranteed legendary anyway).

Wallach

Glad to hear it, unfortunately this means a bunch of people who play neither class will whine incessantly about DH/WD's pet buffs because...no clue.

Yeah. And they may yet tweak pets after this; it's not like they've ever been balanced around it working before so they may have to come back and retune something if they feel it can scale outta hand. But it's a good change, this really hurt how pet scaled in the long run.

Wallach

Is the drop rate buff hotfix live yet?

Not listed as live yet. I'll keep an eye on it; I'm not doing any more rifts tonight until it is confirmed live. :p

Edit - Apparently the follower relic legendary bug didn't get shipped and is now under "Upcoming Hotfixes".

scy

Wizards have Hydras.
Monks have Mystic Ally.

Not to mention all those Legendaries that proc an extra minion for you. So this doesn't just affect one class.

Phalanx as a whole is pretty much pet stuff too. I'm going to make a Physical set for Phalanx and Rise my Brothers use with my Staalgard / Westmarch. I mean, I might as well.

Not listed as live yet. I'll keep an eye on it; I'm not doing any more rifts tonight until it is confirmed live. :p

Yup. Just bounties until I know it's up :x

Wizards have Hydras.
Monks have Mystic Ally.

Of course but ever since the patch went live, have we really heard anyone complaining about hydras? Nope. All the unnecessary angst has been directed toward WD followed by such phrases as "OP" and "nerf". Why? Entitlement. X affects Y class more than mine, this isn't fair, pls nerf.

With that stated, glad to see Blizzard is bringing other classes up to Wizard levels instead of giving in to the masses cries.

This is indeed an intended change, and the amount of benefit provided to pets does not have a cap. Critical Hit Damage now scales for all pets, from Witch Doctors to Demon Hunters. This actually also includes stationary pets, such as Sentries and Hydras.

Yesss... now I can finally put emerald instead of rubies on my sentry DH.

scy

Of course but ever since the patch went live, have we really heard anyone complaining about hydras? Nope. All the unnecessary angst has been directed toward WD followed by such phrases as "OP" and "nerf". Why? Entitlement. X affects Y class more than mine, this isn't fair, pls nerf.

With that stated, glad to see Blizzard is bringing other classes up to Wizard levels instead of giving in to the masses cries.

Wait, it buffs Wizards?

Fuck, OP as shit.

Oh nice, wasn't aware Hydras also got that buff. Gonna have to give that a shot.

I've been playing my Wizard some since I got the +1 Hydra Wand. Not sure which Hydra is best (currently Lightning spec because of my gear at the moment) but it's nice seeing them crit for ~4.5M or so.

Dahbomb

They are apparently going to revert the Magglemaw change:

The following change from the Patch Notes has been reverted:
In Campaign Mode, Manglemaw now only drops loot and gives XP before the player progresses to the Chancellor's Tomb quest

ElyrionX

Whoa I didn't realize Hydras CHD were limited. I was testing Hydras the other day and their damage were very low relative to what I was getting from other skills. Maybe I will try using them again.

I could use some help here. I'm seeing a lot of secondary stats that seem interesting, but they don't break down into raw damage, at least not that I can understand. Is there a good gauge on how to judge your secondary stats like "15% lighting damage" compared to a raw dps number? What's the best way for me to make sure I"m making the right choices about gear?

Dahbomb

I could use some help here. I'm seeing a lot of secondary stats that seem interesting, but they don't break down into raw damage, at least not that I can understand. Is there a good gauge on how to judge your secondary stats like "15% lighting damage" compared to a raw dps number? What's the best way for me to make sure I"m making the right choices about gear?
The best way to check IMO is to just use the item and try it on a mob or a boss. Usually with stuff like +% Lightning damage it's applying to your skill so if you have a skill that does 200% weapon damage as Lightning then a +15% Lightning damage would make it hit at 230% weapon damage.

+% Element and skill bonuses are huge boosts to damage that don't show up on your sheet. On Bracers and Amulet +% Element damage is generally mandatory as these are the only slots they show up normally. Items that have +% element damage (which aren't Bracers/Amulets) are usually Legendary and because of this are some of the better items in the game (like Andariel's, Magefist, Stone of Jordan, Cindercoat, Thundergods Vigor etc). When normally you can only get 2 slots with elemental damage, with those legendaries you can have 3 or more slots with elemental damage. Armor pieces can roll +%skill bonuses but only 2-3 pieces roll the same type of skill (like Cluster Arrow can only roll on Boots, Helms and Quivers). These are powerful to have as well and generally define your build.

+%Skill generally don't compete with other damage values so if you want maximum damage from your Shoulder piece... just make sure it has main stat and the skill that you are using (check to see which skills are possible on the shoulder for your class, it's different for each armor piece). On Helm you want main stat, crit and a skill bonus as the 3 offensive bonuses. On Bracers, you want element damage, crit chance and main stat almost always. On Amulets you have to make the toughest choice... usually you want element damage but after that you generally want main stat and the two crit stats (chance and damage).

What's even trickier to understand is resource cost and cooldown reduction. IIRC these add up diminishingly so if you have 45% total CDR on your gear it's not actually 45%, it's less than that. Still these are powerful stats that generally depend on your build. Some builds don't require a lot of attack speed and so they substitute attack speed on gloves/rings with CDR or resource reduction (Frozen Orbs Wizards like some resource cost reduction on their gear).

Area damage while good is not necessary to stack on gear because you get 50% from Paragon points which is considerable. Some builds make great use of it but for starters you shouldn't worry too much about area damage.

lt519

Those are for skills only, not weapon elemental damage. You should read it as it is, if you use skills with that element 100% of the time than it is a 15% increase to your dps. If you use those skills half the time consider it a 7.5% increase. Compare that to what the % increase is of other items and you have your answer. A 15% increase is typically much higher increase than any one other primary stat can give you. So it's wise to use these elemental increases and build your characters around them. For instance I have about 51% increase in fire damage across gear and made my build with frenzy fire and learthquake to take advantage of that.

Edit: dahbomb nailed it, great advice

Nete

Gonna see the hotfix tomorrow. Too late and too tired :(

Man, Sentries got buffed too, that is sick

*All* pets. And that includes Phalanx Bodyguards and avatars spawned by Falling Sword. Some good hits there.

Barbs with full IK set will enjoy their Ancients too.

Totakeke

Someone needs to put up a guide for FotH Fissure because it's definitely not easy to use optimally. I think I spent like 5 minutes killing a rift boss that's one of those Act4 meteor summoning teleporting bastards meaning FotH will never hit for full damage. Judgment doesn't hold him in place either. That was terrible.

Some casual observations:
1. You can put FotH on one edge of your screen and another on another edge and they will still link. However the casting range is a little bit less than that so you will have to move slightly to put one on the other end. You basically can damage the whole screen in one line but the link (arc) is only 185% weapon damage so it's good for trash mobs but not that useful for elites.
2. To optimize damage for a single mob, you want to place two FotH touching the mob but not on top of it, making a line with the mob in the middle, so it'll take the localized lightning damage from the two FotH yet still getting the arc damage from the link.
3. The slow attack speed while two-handing is actually quite terrible for FotH fissure. Because one only stays up for 5 seconds, assuming you only have 1 aps, you'll lose 1 second before you can cast the other one to generate an arc. If you're surrounded by mobs, sometimes you may not even get to cast FotH where you want it to be so when the second one comes up, the first one is already almost over. One of my main problems with the skill.
4. It doesn't seem possible to create a triangle arc with FotH. If you cast two in a line, then another one on another axis between them, the original arc will break while the two previous ones will just arc with the new one. So it seems like a line is the best you can do for arc'ing and casting more than two doesn't seem to do much in a small area.
5. Following 4, unless you can generate wrath really fast, you won't get to do more than 3 optimally because by the time you generate the wrath to cast the fourth one, the original ones area dead. So I would suggest just casting two at a time, letting them die off, then cast another two.
6. This skill is terrible for fast moving/teleporting mobs. It's so bad. Spending 3 seconds to do Judgment -> FotH -> FotH works sometimes but it's not sufficient.

Was farming normal act 1 bounty for ring of royal grandeur....3 legendary wands dropped for me in a matter of an hour. First 2 were crap..the 3rd one...as soon as I saw the graphics, I knew what it was...It was exactly what I wanted - Wand of Woh!

2.2k damage and no socket. First attempt to enchant it and i got a socket! woot! Time to build an explosive blast build!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom