• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally decided to replace my old witching hour. The defensive stats on this are just too good. Especially the reduced melee dmg.

iDA3KbF.png

Also, not a bad first try refolling life regen to this:

Yk5NfN1.png

I'd prefer magefists though. And a cindercoat. And a firebirds set piece. The search continues....

Also, this gives me 8% more DPS than my thunderfury.

yMefcgJ.png

An otherwise boring weapon, but a pretty decent dmg roll. Not sure if it's worth losing the TF proc. Guess I'll see....

Anyone have suggestions for builds for a Crusader just starting in T1? I will be playing mostly solo.

I would link my build but I am at the office and do not have my authenticator to log in.

Grimadin

Neo Member
Anyone know a good way to get a white ascended shield? A friend and I spent around an hour diggin through whites, but I finally ended up sitting next to a vendor waiting for the inventory to refresh but no luck.

jrcbandit

Man 5 T2 rifts and over 250 blood shards and I get one legendary and one forgotten soul. Unluckiest night since the RoS expansion came out AND tonight was supposed to be the night with the buffs...boo.

I had the same luck last night except I got more forgotten souls than you at least.....

Grimadin

Neo Member
Anyone have suggestions for builds for a Crusader just starting in T1? I will be playing mostly solo.

I would link my build but I am at the office and do not have my authenticator to log in.

Hardcore/softcore, 1h/2h?

The crit/bombard build was pretty fun. But i'm rollin around with archers and hammers atm. The best advise I can give is pick a skill or two you know you like to use and build something round that.

Insaniac

Of course my first Andariel's Visage would drop on my Crusader instead of my Wizard...

And with no Crit Chance...

And with Cold damage D':

I've come to the conclusion that forgotten souls are the biggest bottleneck of all time. Blizzard's next step should be to implement one or more, if not all, of my suggestions below.

-be able to buy forgotten souls with death's breath
-be able to buy forgotten souls with blood shards
-be able to buy forgotten souls with gold
-be able to buy forgotten souls with gems
-guarantee soul drop from t1+ rift boss
-make regular mobs have a chance to drop souls.
-be able to craft souls
-be able to pay some double digit amount of death breath to the mystic to remove a category from a possible reroll

Thx blizz.

Ugh... spent 5 mil (and most of my souls) trying to reroll the gold/health radius pickup on my Leoric's signet to Lightning Resist (for OWE)... got every other resist except the one I need. Down to 4 mil :\

bcl0328

I am sitting on 31 Forgotten Souls with nothing to re-roll... are people wasting them on subpar legendaries?

you can use them to craft set items. plus, some items can take 10+ rolls to get the right stat. RNG baby.

and i don't get what you mean 'subpar'. if you are wearing it, you should be rerolling it. there is almost always something to reroll or try to get higher stats on.

for example, my legendary neck came with 39% CD. i used a few souls to try and get it higher. no luck yet.

Lol kinda funny you mention this because my current bottleneck is gold. If you are doing anything with jewelry you will go broke unless the lords of RNG are with you.

exactly why i bought some gold on the AH the day it went down. worth it.

huxley00

Lol kinda funny you mention this because my current bottleneck is gold. If you are doing anything with jewelry you will go broke unless the lords of RNG are with you.

Yeah, for sure...easier solution is to just have gear that isn't worth using Forgotten Souls on. I think I have 35 or so with nothing worth using them on.

I am sitting on 31 Forgotten Souls with nothing to re-roll... are people wasting them on subpar legendaries?

I have a ring that I've been trying to roll a decent amount of crit dmg on. So far 21 flawless imperial topaz and 21 forgotten souls for 40% crit dmg. Ugh... and now I'm out of topaz again.

Then I go and try the same reroll on my nagelring (requires amethysts which I have over 250 of) and I get 50% crit dmg on my 2nd try. $#(*&#$*(&

But yeah, if RNG is being shitty, you can burn through forgotten souls REALLY fast. If you're lucky, you end up stockpiling them. I don't bother with crafting much because most of them are shitty items. I think I want to try and craft a few reapers wraps though.

Does anyone know when an emerald is better than a ruby in a weapon. I'm leveling up an alt and I only have 9% CC, so I'm wondering where the breakpoint is.

Grimadin

Neo Member
Softcore, using a 2 hander with a shield

This is kind of what i'm using right now, although i'm doing hardcore so i don't know if you want that many defensive passives. I used the bowmen to help with the tougher whites and heavens fury for blues/yellow. Depending on dps you could switch out Punish for something like slash, but I just let stuff beat on me.

If you can't get to the link:

If you are leveling a character, a nice socketed ruby on your weapon is amazing. CC is too low for the emerald to be worth it. Just my experience.

x-Lundz-x

I've come to the conclusion that forgotten souls are the biggest bottleneck of all time. Blizzard's next step should be to implement one or more, if not all, of my suggestions below.

-be able to buy forgotten souls with death's breath
-be able to buy forgotten souls with blood shards
-be able to buy forgotten souls with gold
-be able to buy forgotten souls with gems
-guarantee soul drop from t1+ rift boss
-make regular mobs have a chance to drop souls.
-be able to craft souls
-be able to pay some double digit amount of death breath to the mystic to remove a category from a possible reroll

Thx blizz.

I agree souls need to drop more, but you shouldn't be able to "buy" them. However, I do say the following:
Rift Boss should always drop either a forgotten soul or legendary item. You should never complete a rift and walk away empty handed. Even getting a forgotten soul every run means you have one more reroll on a piece of gear. Not getting anything from a rift feels like your time was wasted.

XShagrath

Finally got my first legendary off of Kadala today. Have run through probably 2000 shards since launch. Ended up getting a belt to replace my OG Witching Hour. I lost 2.x% DPS, but gained 25% toughness.

garath

Does anyone know when an emerald is better than a ruby in a weapon. I'm leveling up an alt and I only have 9% CC, so I'm wondering where the breakpoint is.

When you're leveling an alt, ruby is better until the late 50s give or take. Basically the ruby will give an extra 200 damage to a weapon give or take. In the lower levels that's doubling or more the weapon's dps.

At higher levels when the weapon's damage is up in the thousands, that 200 damage is a lot less impactful and an emerald is the right choice.

This is kind of what i'm using right now, although i'm doing hardcore so i don't know if you want that many defensive passives. I used the bowmen to help with the tougher whites and heavens fury for blues/yellow. Depending on dps you could switch out Punish for something like slash, but I just let stuff beat on me.

Thanks, I will give this a shot, maybe drop 1 or possibly 2 defensive skills.

If you are leveling a character, a nice socketed ruby on your weapon is amazing. CC is too low for the emerald to be worth it. Just my experience.

Right, so what I'm asking is does anyone have any idea (rough or specific, in terms of level or DPS or CC), when you switch from Ruby to Emerald?

Edit: Thanks, garath. Hey you run DH right? How bad is ball lightning now? I'm having fun with it, but I feel like it is an old spec and got nerfed, but I'm not sure.

GoldChain

Finally got my first legendary off of Kadala today. Have run through probably 2000 shards since launch. Ended up getting a belt to replace my OG Witching Hour. I lost 2.x% DPS, but gained 25% toughness.

Kadala laughs at me every time.

I think the drops got worse. I am on a two-hander mission right now and have probably spent close to the same amount, at least 2000 shards.

As a Crusader, I used to get shitty two-handers, then I started getting bows. Then blue bows. Now I'm lucky if 1/5 resumptions are yellow.

Maybe I'm just having a bad week. I got 4 "Pig Sticker" daggers over the past two days, nothing else.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Alright so after yesterday, I managed to get my + lightning damage% to a grand total of 82% bonus lightning damage.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Drilling-1463/hero/3811704

It tanked my sheet dps by about 200k lol but my output was just NUTS. Up to 6.2mil shard of hate proc crits on regular mobs and up to 7.7mil on elite packs.

Things were just insane, enemies melted. A friend of mine wanted to farm reaper wraps mats so he invited me to kill Malthael on T2 and his phase 1 was over before he put down two clouds. It took like maybe 1 minute to kill him and most of that was during phase 2 since dodging attacks cost a lot of dps up time.

Right, so what I'm asking is does anyone have any idea (rough or specific, in terms of level or DPS or CC), when you switch from Ruby to Emerald?

Edit: Thanks, garath. Hey you run DH right? How bad is ball lightning now? I'm having fun with it, but I feel like it is an old spec and got nerfed, but I'm not sure.

Another good leveling trick if it is your alt, is to roll some massive level reduction on a Lvl 70 weapon and get your alt using that early.

garath

Ball lighting is pretty rough.

Right now I'd say the best spec is Cluster Arrow. But that's resource hungry. Second best would be frost arrow. I ran with that all the way through the beginning of the expansion with some good success. It's ridiculously safe and you can pump out some decent damage against most mobs. You lose a little bit of dps on bosses though since they can't be slowed.

This was my frost arrow build:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#bRjkdO!VUbc!YZaabY

It's so safe because everything is slowed all the time and vault is your only discipline consumer so you can kite indefinitely. Sentries provide great supplemental damage. You can replace Numbing traps with something like steady aim too and get more damage out of it.

Really? When I have a 100 DPS weapon and 9% CC? A ruby almost triples my damage. I haven't checked, but I'm pretty sure an emerald isn't going to do that yet. At some point, with more damage and more CC, I'm sure it will, but there is a breakpoint.

Well yeah. Leveling a toon will see a bigger boost from a ruby. Same with a hellfire that rolls average damage. IAS is a bigger boost at low level too.

Insaniac

Mah Bowmen *high five* that skill wrecks

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I agree souls need to drop more, but you shouldn't be able to "buy" them. However, I do say the following:
Rift Boss should always drop either a forgotten soul or legendary item. You should never complete a rift and walk away empty handed. Even getting a forgotten soul every run means you have one more reroll on a piece of gear. Not getting anything from a rift feels like your time was wasted.

I ran 3 rifts last night not getting a single thing each run! I was so depressed haha.

Sometimes I'd gladly trade blood shards for gems. Even if I'm gambling on the gem type. It takes me 3-4 days to get enough topaz to try and reroll my ring again. Whereas I'm sitting on 200+ of all the other gem types. Arg. Anything to bring in more topaz gems would be awesome.

I think we need more things to spend shards on in general.

huxley00

So I picked up the lvl 70 version of this

DIXRK9Hl.jpg

and I was kind of actually interested to try it out. Its kind of lame, the proc hardly ever goes off (had it go off maybe 1 out of 50-100 hits). Pretty worthless.

With gold being such an issue, it would be fun if they made some viable alternatives to just wanting to spam a DPS build. Cool, high level magic find gear...better gold drop rate gear etc. Its not fun if the alternative to DPS doesn't really give you much benefit, it may as well not even be in the game at all.

Apologies if this sounds whiny, I guess I just like when Diablo gets a little weird and you can make these one off builds that have little to do with DPS and a lot to do with other game factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom