• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sentry seems like it's better for bosses than anything. Going through rifts with it wasn't fun but once you can get 5 up against a single target it starts to really deal good dmg.

Ah that makes sense. Thanks.

I just pulled the biggest Diablo Noob move ever......just watched a video on some dude opening 100 horadic caches. Which I then recognized the items. I never knew what those damn things were and I was just stashing them in my chest. I have about 15 saved up to sort through tonight. hahaha

I'd recommend against opening them all at once. If you DC with stuff on the ground, it will be gone. Open and pick up, repeat.

scy

I'm not talking about T1-T4. I'm talking about walking into T6 and just steam rolling it like it's normal.

50% CDR for Akarat, 50% cost reduction. With a few CDR items, Akarat being on 100% means permanent 25% IAS and perm 100% increased wrath regen.

That is just unreal to have. You can literally hit so often (with like splitting hammers etc) that bombardment is basically never on CD. Get the flail with double bombardment and you're hitting like 100 mil every time bombardment is off CD. The ability to spend crazy amounts of wrath (bonus from the set) really makes this ridiculous.

Oh, well, T6 requiring specific stuff isn't that big of a deal to me then. Thought you just meant an in general requiring of the set.

A shame every piece of Akkhan that has dropped for me has been garbage and been given away / soul'd.

kingslunk

Oh, well, T6 requiring specific stuff isn't that big of a deal.

A shame every piece of Akkhan that has dropped for me has been garbage and been given away / soul'd.

5 piece Akkhan no matter what the rolls I'm pretty sure is better than better legs and no Akkhan.

Ah that makes sense. Thanks.

I'd recommend against opening them all at once. If you DC with stuff on the ground, it will be gone. Open and pick up, repeat.

A couple of them are from when I was like still in the 60s. I probably missed out on a bunch of gear for that moment in time dammit.

So I picked up the lvl 70 version of this

DIXRK9Hl.jpg

and I was kind of actually interested to try it out. Its kind of lame, the proc hardly ever goes off (had it go off maybe 1 out of 50-100 hits). Pretty worthless.

With gold being such an issue, it would be fun if they made some viable alternatives to just wanting to spam a DPS build. Cool, high level magic find gear...better gold drop rate gear etc. Its not fun if the alternative to DPS doesn't really give you much benefit, it may as well not even be in the game at all.

Apologies if this sounds whiny, I guess I just like when Diablo gets a little weird and you can make these one off builds that have little to do with DPS and a lot to do with other game factors.

woah there, tiger. Goldskin isn't about the proc. it's about the +100% gold passive. When you realize you just picked up a 20k stack of gold off the ground, you quickly realize you're going to be making major bank so long as you have that chest equipped.

It's easily -- EASILY -- my favorite non-class-specific chest in the game. The longer you play, the easier it is to recognize how useful its become.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I have a pair of Akkrat's Gloves. Trying to reroll some crit on them but I'm excited to try to get the rest. =)

Little confused on how +% dmg and non-black damage works on weapons.. wouldn't the guaranteed +% dmg and guaranteed cold dmg on http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/natalyas-slayer be in conflict? Or does the +% dmg actually go towards the "Damage" stat?

%dmg is as of now nearly useless on elemental dmg weapons. %dmg only affects black damage, so the only buff you would get on an elemental damage weapon is the equivalent of a buff that a white weapon would get. The dps increase is minimal. Blizzard has stated that this is not intended, and is looking into it. I was slightly disappointed that a fix wasn't in place for 2.0.4.

Back to pets build for my WD until they do something about DoTs.

DoT mechanic is bullshit. You either get a crit for full duration or none. It's not fun when a mechanic of your game goes from AMAZING to weaksauce constantly flip flopping between the two.

And this is another result of crit dmg being so overly powerful in this game.

They need to fix the way dots and crits work. Dot builds for WD are nearly viable, thanks to the new passive we got in ROS. But the fact that crits are decided on casts, and not per tick, ruins it. Such an unfun mechanic.

traveler

Not Wario
I'm not talking about T1-T4. I'm talking about walking into T6 and just steam rolling it like it's normal.

50% CDR for Akarat, 50% cost reduction. With a few CDR items, Akarat being on 100% means permanent 25% IAS and perm 100% increased wrath regen.

That is just unreal to have. You can literally hit so often (with like splitting hammers etc) that bombardment is basically never on CD. Get the flail with double bombardment and you're hitting like 100 mil every time bombardment is off CD. The ability to spend crazy amounts of wrath (bonus from the set) really makes this ridiculous.

If you've got perma Akarat, I don't think the Mortal Drama is the flail you want...

The Cowboy

They need to fix the way dots and crits work. Dot builds for WD are nearly viable, thanks to the new passive we got in ROS. But the fact that crits are decided on casts, and not per tick, ruins it. Such an unfun mechanic.
Add to this that in a heated screen filling battle, its bloody hard to spot if the haunt/locus swarm you just landed critted or not. And to make it worse if I'm not mistaken (i tested this on a single target with only haunt), a Dot crit still shows as white text making it eve harder to tell.

BigDug13

Add to this that in a heated screen filling battle, its bloody hard to spot if the haunt/locus swarm you just landed critted or not. And to make it worse if I'm not mistaken (i tested this on a single target with only haunt), a Dot crit still shows as white text making it eve harder to tell.

They should just eliminate crits from DoTs and make the DoT damage factor off our sheet DPS that already accounts for the crit possibilities over time. Consistent damage that doesn't require what seems to be a difficult process for devs.

Discobird

If you have the gear to support it (+physical damage, Tasker & Theo, Bombardier's Rucksack, maybe Helltrapper), sentries with impaling bolt do decent DPS to mobs. I am not sure if sentries proc area damage or not.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I would really love it if getting sockets on weapons and maybe even gear was independent of properties limitation and something you did at the JC or Blacksmith for like 500k gold and a forgotten soul.

They are so frustratingly mandatory, it's kinda dumb that you have to reroll a slightly more interesting start to get a socket.

All those weapons that come wit movespeed or something else that's goofy (like that one sword that comes with 1.5% crit) are stats you're either going to reroll into a socket, or if you're lucky and your weapon already came with a socket it'll just get rerolled into mainstat, vit, attack speed, or %dmg...

...kinda lame blizz.

eek5

AFAIK DoTs don't crit like that. It isn't calculating the crit on the entire 1s number popups. Every tick has the opportunity to crit or not crit and then they get added together and displayed on every 1s. So you might have crit 4 out of 5 times in a second and it'll show a big number in that second but the next time you might crit 2 out of 5 times and it shows a small white number. This isn't you critting for the first 1s tick and not critting for the second, it's just the actual damage ticks didn't crit as much.

Baliis

AFAIK DoTs don't crit like that. It isn't calculating the crit on the entire 1s number popups. Every tick has the opportunity to crit or not crit and then they get added together and displayed on every 1s. So you might have crit 4 out of 5 times in a second and it'll show a big number in that second but the next time you might crit 2 out of 5 times and it shows a small white number. This isn't you critting for the first 1s tick and not critting for the second, it's just the actual damage ticks didn't crit as much.

Post is a bit old so it might have changed since then, but it oddly seems like both of those cases are true. Some DoTs crit per tick, some crit per cast.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5911881247

More recent posts suggest at least that Haunt and Locust Swarm are still crit on cast

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12472337136

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Just got back into the playing and started with a Crusader. Through the first five levels, its been a fun class. If anyone is interested in some playtime presently, hit me up: agentdormer#1216.

P33KAJ3W

Neo Member
Thinking about getting this for the PS4 when it comes out but I had read complaints that D3 was play to win.

Has this been fixed? Was it ever really true?

Thanks so much.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Thinking about getting this for the PS4 when it comes out but I had read complaints that D3 was play to win.

Thanks so much.

is... is this a joke post?

Baliis

Thanks so much.

There used to be a Real Money Auction House in the PC version, but the auction stuff, both gold and real money, is all gone now with the expansion.

It's hard to call it pay to win though, there's nothing to win. Made for making a nice little bit of cash off some suckers though.

Thanks so much.

Most of the complaints were about the AH house which was never in the console version. It is also now removed from the PC version. The game is great and definitely worth checking out.

http://i.imgur.com/Eq6dzE6.png[IMG]

MOTHERFUCKING THUNDERFURY[/QUOTE]

I have a meh one in my stash but that is a great roll!

RS4-

So, just finished a rift where density was at 500% or some shit. Screen was 1/2-3/4 full almost every encounter.

Then I got kicked off bnet.

We did a rift last night that was insanely crowded. I got seperated from my group at one point and was tackling three elite groups at once. I burst two of them down and was fighting a losing battle against the third when my teammates showed up and saved me. I would say we faced 30 separate elite groups in a single map level. It was awesome.

Post-patch crusader is amazingly solid and fun. It's one of the more gear dependent classes in the sense that there are some game-changing legendaries and sets. I'm playing a holy build and loving it.

TheYanger

Sure its just anecdotal, but I noticed more rare's dropping when I switched. Has there been any number crunching done with MF post patches? I would google it but gaming websites are blocked at work. Maybe ive just had good luck, but most of my current gear has been from running solo t1 rifts and bounties

Does MF work when buying from Kadala?

You SHOULD notice more rares, but MF is only 10% as effective for legendaries, so +100% chance to find a rare is only 10% on a leg, and it's a HUGE stat loss to gain that much.

Here's an example lvl 70 build you might want to try: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WQVdSl!biST!YaZbcZ (edit: fixed the link)

Preparation - Punishment is very important for spamming MS or any hatred spender, really, unless you have legacy flat cost reduction gear. Bitter Pill helps you fuel Punishment, but if you need more CC you can replace it with Entangling Shot - Shock Collar and replace Sharpshooter with Night Stalker. Shock Collar has an excellent overall proc rate since every tick of the DOT can proc Night Stalker.

If your APS is less than 2.00, use Steady Aim instead of Sharpshooter since you won't be able to fire a full three shots before the crit chance bonus resets. Replace Ambush with Perfectionist on higher torment levels.

If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend getting used to using Vault as your sole defensive active. It'll make you a better player overall and conserve discipline for Punishment. Smoke Screen is very popular but I think it's just not needed most of the time.

Gear-wise you'll want +lightning damage wherever you can get it (bracers, Thundergod's Vigor belt, amulet) and a Pride's Fall or Andariel's with lightning damage. Look for +MS damage on boots, quiver and helm.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/hellmonkey-1619/hero/2687745

That is my build, I was running all night doing T1 rifts. I think I did 6 or 7 and ran out of hatred/disc once when we stumbled upon a champ pack hanging out with 7-10 treasure goblins. It absolutely requires Cindercoat and Reap Wraps make it much easier. 1 Globe gives me like 62.5 or so hatred.

I know my RoV is not fire based, but the damage is much more consistent over a much larger area than any of the other runes. On T1, most packs die in less than 5 seconds and rift guardians take 5-10 seconds. I pretty much only use vengeance for rift guardians or when I get 2 packs at once. I have no idea if there is anything better to replace it with. I almost never use it, but its a great oh shit button and still works even if im out of hatred and just firing normal shots.

I finally broke 3M toughness, so I might try T2, maybe. T1 is getting pretty trivial with the damage I deal.

Bizazedo

You SHOULD notice more rares, but MF is only 10% as effective for legendaries, so +100% chance to find a rare is only 10% on a leg, and it's a HUGE stat loss to gain that much.

Might be a nice boost if you're trying to farm for cash, then, given how much rares sell for.

Wickwire

woah there, tiger. Goldskin isn't about the proc. it's about the +100% gold passive. When you realize you just picked up a 20k stack of gold off the ground, you quickly realize you're going to be making major bank so long as you have that chest equipped.

It's easily -- EASILY -- my favorite non-class-specific chest in the game. The longer you play, the easier it is to recognize how useful its become.

I cant wait for a goldskin. I love GF. breaking those random pots that shower gold is so gratifying

Baliis

Not really. A good Nagelring + Cains set is 100% right there, 30% for group play, 41% for a topaz, you can get an okay amount without sacrificing anything really. Not a ton, but it's like a free torment tick anyways.

Mugaaz

People talk crap about MF, but topaz in helm is zero opportunity cost for a lot of people. Cains bonus and possibly Nagelring are not bad items on their own, and only really compete against very hard to acquire stuff. 14% increased legendary chance is not insignificant.

Kawl_USC

So was hoping somebody could help me make a decision. I got Magefists drop today on my crusader which is awesome as I'm running a Fire Build at the moment and really like it. I've made a great deal of improvements on my gear since just a few days ago from getting the opinions of people who know their shit here, so was hoping for a bit more help.

4osggmy.jpg

My dilemma comes from the fact that the Crush Desire is pretty much the perfect roll for damage on the gloves. It's near max strength (622 of 625 max), Max IAS (6 of 6 max), CHD (48 of 50 max), and CHC (9.5 of 10 max). I mean its got primary and trifecta all near max for the item.

The Magefist in comparison has middling rolls for a good set of attributes. The + Fire damage is as low as possible (15 in a range of 15 to 20), 658 str out of a range of 626-750, 6 IAS in a range of 5-7, Max CHD which is very nice of the mystic after making me roll 20+ times to finally get a socket on Maximus, and 6% CDR.

Looking at raw values Magefist gives more strength, same IAS, slightly more CHD, and the increased CDR and fire damage while giving up 9.5% crit.

I know crit chance and damage are pretty much the holy grails of 2.0 so I'm wondering if the CDR and +Fire make up for what I'm losing in terms of sheet dps. I have +35% fire atm (20 from Maximus and 15 from bracers) and the rest of my stats are included in the picture.

Just dinged 70 on my DH and I have no idea what I'm doing. Tips pls! I know I know, I need to socket my weapon. No souls atm!

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Noray-2106/hero/1184257

That Buriza was sitting in my stash for a while, dropped on my 'sader =\

Your don't have any + lightning damage, so I would change shooting stars to LFB. If youre going to stick with sentry, do the following

-Reroll AR on amulet to + cold dmg
-Reroll + phys on bracer to + cold
-Reroll ele arrow on boots to cluster arrow
-Craft new legs that have a 4th primary for 2 sockets
-Craft gloves with 4 primay for trifecta or defense
-If you don't come across a better cloak, reroll the armor into 3 sockets.

Sentries kinda suck though since they take forever to deploy. They are terrible when youre moving fast. But, just play around and find a build you like. Its easier to build around the gear the you get than try to gear around the skills you want to use.

BigDug13

I think it's a bit funny that people still ask for serious help like "I just dinged 70, now what?"

This game is the most shining example of the most customizable difficulty curve in gaming.

Set it to a comfortable level and experiment with your specs and gear. Just because people on here are tackling Torment 1-6 doesn't mean you have to.

I'll say that if you need to be on Normal at 70, something's probably wrong. But there's nothing wrong with hanging on expert and master until you learn the specs you like and will probably find a few drops along the way.

The game is as easy as you want to make it. And I think it's more fun to figure out powerful combos on your own and move up in difficulty from there.

When a game that is this customizable still has people wanting builds and loadouts handed to them, removing all discovery....damn.

Wallach

People talk crap about MF, but topaz in helm is zero opportunity cost for a lot of people. Cains bonus and possibly Nagelring are not bad items on their own, and only really compete against very hard to acquire stuff. 14% increased legendary chance is not insignificant.

Zero opportunity cost? I mean, if the socket is there then it could also be 23% Life or 12.5% CDR. It's possible for the latter to be irrelevant in some cases but I don't know as 23% Life falls under that category.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom