• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had one of those too. It needs something like +500% Gold Find for it to be even remotely worth it. All of the drops of gold it procs were so small too.

That's what I was looking for. Thanks.

Before I saw this I was thinking about the math and I think it should be switched from Ruby to Emerald whenever CC*1.25 > 250/weapon DPS, where 1.25 is the CHD from an emerald and 250 is the added DPS from a Ruby (can change these numbers depending what level you have available). Looking around, this is apparently wrong because of the way crit damage is calculated, but I'm guessing it is close.

Another good leveling trick if it is your alt, is to roll some massive level reduction on a Lvl 70 weapon and get your alt using that early.

Yea I have some good gear for that. Almost to the level I can start using it.

Ball lighting is pretty rough.

Right now I'd say the best spec is Cluster Arrow. But that's resource hungry. Second best would be frost arrow. I ran with that all the way through the beginning of the expansion with some good success. It's ridiculously safe and you can pump out some decent damage against most mobs. You lose a little bit of dps on bosses though since they can't be slowed.

This was my frost arrow build:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#bRjkdO!VUbc!YZaabY

It's so safe because everything is slowed all the time and vault is your only discipline consumer so you can kite indefinitely. Sentries provide great supplemental damage. You can replace Numbing traps with something like steady aim too and get more damage out of it.

Thanks, I'll play around with frost arrow while I level up to LfB. I just started messing with Ball Lightning and it melts things since I am so overgeared right now as I level. I need to start playing around with things that are more practical at torment 1 at level 70.

The Cowboy

I've come to the conclusion that forgotten souls are the biggest bottleneck of all time. Blizzard's next step should be to implement one or more, if not all, of my suggestions below.

-be able to buy forgotten souls with death's breath
-be able to buy forgotten souls with blood shards
-be able to buy forgotten souls with gold
-be able to buy forgotten souls with gems
-guarantee soul drop from t1+ rift boss
-make regular mobs have a chance to drop souls.
-be able to craft souls
-be able to pay some double digit amount of death breath to the mystic to remove a category from a possible reroll

Thx blizz.
At this point i agree with one of 2 of these, its getting really annoying now trying to get forgotten souls, I've been through 5 torment rift runs today so far, not 1 leg and not 1 forgotten soul :(.

They should put the forgotten soul as a craftable item that requires death's breaths, shards and normal craft items - make it cost quite a bit, but then at least we would have a way to get them easier.

The bolded one is the main one they should put in ASAP though, I'm actually kinda surprised it isn't already.

Mugaaz

I've come to the conclusion that forgotten souls are the biggest bottleneck of all time. Blizzard's next step should be to implement one or more, if not all, of my suggestions below.

-be able to buy forgotten souls with death's breath
-be able to buy forgotten souls with blood shards
-be able to buy forgotten souls with gold
-be able to buy forgotten souls with gems
-guarantee soul drop from t1+ rift boss
-make regular mobs have a chance to drop souls.
-be able to craft souls
-be able to pay some double digit amount of death breath to the mystic to remove a category from a possible reroll

Thx blizz.

Wow, don't agree with any of this. It's a purely temporary bottle-neck. It goes away entirely quickly too. If anything they need the opposite, a way to convert Souls and Deaths Breaths into something continually useful, like Blood Shards.

Remember how badly you wanted Deaths Breaths when doing Act 5 to level up your artisans? How you thought they were so rare? Now theyre worthless. Next it's gems, same thing. Seems like you can't get enough, then you don't need them anymore. Then gold to convert all the gems. Then Forgotten Souls. All of these start as overwhelming demand + ultra limited supply, but the demand is finite and eventually the limited supply is greater than the demand. All these materials value continues to go down day after day.

Is +damage to elites not a desired stat? I don't see many people talking about it, but I have like 58% on my wizard and I notice a huge dps increase against packs and bosses.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/wickwire7-1676/

It's one of the best stats in the game, but it's on very few pieces of gear. It also doesn't increase sheet damage so morons ignore it.

Wickwire

Does anybody even bother with Magic Find - I mean, at a minimum would you put a Topaz in helm over other gems, even if you don't have any MF otherwise?

I wear a top end topaz in my helm and I was thinking about making cains(?) set for the 3 piece MF bonus. I noticed a difference when I was wearing a helm with out it.

Krassus

I wear a top end topaz in my helm and I was thinking about making cains(?) set for the 3 piece MF bonus. I noticed a difference when I was wearing a helm with out it.

I run with the cains bonus and was using a gem but didnt notice it, this was prepatch though. Maybe ill try it again if you are having luck.

Is +damage to elites not a desired stat? I don't see many people talking about it, but I have like 58% on my wizard and I notice a huge dps increase against packs and bosses.

I haven't found a single piece of gear yet that has +dmg to elites. No sun keeper. No stone of jordan...

While I'm looking at your profile (so jealous btw, that's a lot of elemental dmg), do ice climbers ignore jailer and vortex?

Dahbomb

It's a very good stat but just like many other stats it doesn't increase your sheet DPS which is why people don't use it as much as they should.

Especially after the change where they made it additive in the last patch.

Takuan

No significant upgrades in the past few days. I got a few legs last night, but most were alt fodder or souled. Nicest drop was probably that 2H fire sword someone was rocking in his fire build some pages back, which I've saved in case I ever decide to go that route. The rolls were pretty solid, IIRC.

Still on the hunt for a Darklight or Fate.

Vortex is the worst. Especially when combined with something stupid like molten and arcane.

I find vortex is the worst when you're pulled into a frozen that is unavoidable because it explodes when you land. Then you try to get away but you're hit with jailer.

This is what kills me 90% of the time.

Ice Climbers would be amazing... if I could actually find them. Even though I could get more significant stat upgrades from other pieces, this is where all of my shards are going into right now.

Firemind

Does anybody even bother with Magic Find - I mean, at a minimum would you put a Topaz in helm over other gems, even if you don't have any MF otherwise?

I put a 45mf ammy and two 20mf rings on my followers for a slight mf boost. Would use legacy Sun Keeper and Grand Vizier if the dps wouldn't be so sucky. Wish followers could equip helm and body armour for additional mf.

Insaniac

I find vortex is the worst when you're pulled into a frozen that is unavoidable because it explodes when you land. Then you try to get away but you're hit with jailer.

Ice Climbers would be amazing... if I could actually find them. Even though I could get more significant stat upgrades from other pieces, this is where all of my shards are going into right now.

Nothing like mashing the potion button while you're frozen as you watch the next burst of Frozen about to go off...

I salvaged my ice climbers I got from Kalada for the ashera's boots and set bonuses. Lol

ohNOitsRO

I can't believe people still use MF gear..

It's totally not worth it by any stretch of the imagination.. You're better off with any of the other main stats, and the only thing worth putting in a helm is an amethyst (if you don't want more exp or if you're a crusader and need CDR)

You'd need like 300 MF before it's even remotely useful

Kadala hands Ice Clambers out, I got mine from her and I know many people have gotten their Ice Climbers from her, keep trying!

Discobird

Edit: Thanks, garath. Hey you run DH right? How bad is ball lightning now? I'm having fun with it, but I feel like it is an old spec and got nerfed, but I'm not sure.

I've played about 70 hours on my DH in ROS (and almost nothing on my other characters, lol) so hopefully I can answer. Ball Lightning actually had its damage doubled in the 2.0 patch, but no one uses it. Lightning-spec DHs typically either use Cluster Arrow - Dazzling Arrow for the strong CC or Multishot - Fire At Will which does essentially the same thing as Ball Lightning in a bigger AOE with near-instant damage instead of a slow-ass projectile. Yes, MS costs more, but the new resource management gear (Pride's Fall, Reaper's Wraps, RCR affixes all over the place) makes the resource efficiency gap between ball lightning and MS more theoretical than practical.

Two strongest builds right now are probably the CA - LFB one you're already familiar with and the physical pet build with Cloak of Garwulf, Tasker & Theo, 4-pc Marauder's and ideally a Bombadier's Rucksack. There are DHs already capable of clearing T6 rifts in relative safety with the pet build.

Frost Arrow is OK but there is a lack of other decent cold skills to go with it. I would probably use it as a left-click if I got a Kridershot but I don't see it replacing CA - LFB anytime soon for me.

x-Lundz-x

No it is, but it's hard for people to grasp that because it's not sheet damage. I just got a sick Stone of Jordan to drop last night that will be going on my Wizard as soon as I get him to level 70 (+arcane damage and 29% elite damage).

I generally only focus on + elite damage on my caster toons though.

Totakeke

Nooooo, such low rolls :(

mSPnhlN.png

Still worth socketing? :/

I've played about 70 hours on my DH in ROS (and almost nothing on my other characters, lol) so hopefully I can answer. Ball Lightning actually had its damage doubled in the 2.0 patch, but no one uses it. Lightning-spec DHs typically either use Cluster Arrow - Dazzling Arrow for the strong CC or Multishot - Fire At Will which does essentially the same thing as Ball Lightning in a bigger AOE with near-instant damage instead of a slow-ass projectile. Yes, MS costs more, but the new resource management gear (Pride's Fall, Reaper's Wraps, RCR affixes all over the place) makes the resource efficiency gap between ball lightning and MS more theoretical than practical.

Two strongest builds right now are probably the CA - LFB one you're already familiar with and the physical pet build with Cloak of Garwulf, Tasker & Theo, 4-pc Marauder's and ideally a Bombadier's Rucksack. There are DHs already capable of clearing T6 rifts in relative safety with the pet build.

Frost Arrow is OK but there is a lack of other decent cold skills to go with it. I would probably use it as a left-click if I got a Kridershot but I don't see it replacing CA - LFB anytime soon for me.

Thanks. I have a little +lightning right now so I'll try Muiltishot.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I've been playing my Crusader a lot this week. I think this weekend I'll put a lot of time in on my WD and hope the stars align and a Starmetal Kukri or Shard of Hate drop for me. I've been stuck with a mediocre sever pretty much since I hit 70.

garath

The wonder of Frost Arrow is it requires very little specific gear to work well. So it's a nice damaging safe build for a new level 70 or a leveling char. Even CA works well but really needs some good gear to make it shine - Magefist, cindercoat, etc (which I actually don't have either).

A pet build requires too much specific gear to be that efficient. Maybe after 70 hours of farming it'll be ok. I'm barely getting legendaries myself as it is lol.

Wickwire

I can't believe people still use MF gear..

It's totally not worth it by any stretch of the imagination.. You're better off with any of the other main stats, and the only thing worth putting in a helm is an amethyst (if you don't want more exp or if you're a crusader and need CDR)

You'd need like 300 MF before it's even remotely useful

Sure its just anecdotal, but I noticed more rare's dropping when I switched. Has there been any number crunching done with MF post patches? I would google it but gaming websites are blocked at work. Maybe ive just had good luck, but most of my current gear has been from running solo t1 rifts and bounties

Does MF work when buying from Kadala?

nbraun80

Sure its just anecdotal, but I noticed more rare's dropping when I switched. Has there been any number crunching done with MF post patches? I would google it but gaming websites are blocked at work. Maybe ive just had good luck, but most of my current gear has been from running solo t1 rifts and bounties

Does MF work when buying from Kadala?

all we know for sure is for every 100mf you put on you only get a 10% bonus to legendary find. So if you have s 1% chance for a legendary to drop you now have a 1.1% chance for one to drop. What gear you gave up to put that mf gear on isn't worth the tradeoff. Just keep your best gear on and clear rifts much faster and thus getting more chances for drops.

Discobird

Thanks. I have a little +lightning right now so I'll try Muiltishot.

Here's an example lvl 70 build you might want to try: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WQVdSl!biST!YaZbcZ (edit: fixed the link)

Preparation - Punishment is very important for spamming MS or any hatred spender, really, unless you have legacy flat cost reduction gear. Bitter Pill helps you fuel Punishment, but if you need more CC you can replace it with Entangling Shot - Shock Collar and replace Sharpshooter with Night Stalker. Shock Collar has an excellent overall proc rate since every tick of the DOT can proc Night Stalker.

If your APS is less than 2.00, use Steady Aim instead of Sharpshooter since you won't be able to fire a full three shots before the crit chance bonus resets. Replace Ambush with Perfectionist on higher torment levels.

If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend getting used to using Vault as your sole defensive active. It'll make you a better player overall and conserve discipline for Punishment. Smoke Screen is very popular but I think it's just not needed most of the time.

Gear-wise you'll want +lightning damage wherever you can get it (bracers, Thundergod's Vigor belt, amulet) and a Pride's Fall or Andariel's with lightning damage. Look for +MS damage on boots, quiver and helm.

Here's an example lvl 70 build you might want to try: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WQVdSl!biST!YaZbcZ (edit: fixed the link)

Preparation - Punishment is very important for spamming MS or any hatred spender, really, unless you have legacy flat cost reduction gear. Bitter Pill helps you fuel Punishment, but if you need more CC you can replace it with Entangling Shot - Shock Collar and replace Sharpshooter with Night Stalker. Shock Collar has an excellent overall proc rate since every tick of the DOT can proc Night Stalker.

If your APS is less than 2.00, use Steady Aim instead of Sharpshooter since you won't be able to fire a full three shots before the crit chance bonus resets. Replace Ambush with Perfectionist on higher torment levels.

If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend getting used to using Vault as your sole defensive active. It'll make you a better player overall and conserve discipline for Punishment. Smoke Screen is very popular but I think it's just not needed most of the time.

Gear-wise you'll want +lightning damage wherever you can get it (bracers, Thundergod's Vigor belt, amulet) and a Pride's Fall or Andariel's with lightning damage. Look for +MS damage on boots, quiver and helm.

Nice, thanks. I've been using Vault - Tumble and I really like it.

Tom Penny

Are bosses considered Elites? I might socket the 18% elite damage against sunkeeper and test against my Thunderfury offhand on Ghom. I think I really need a Stone of Jordan to make it worth it.

ParityBit

What settings do you guys run with? Like the health bars on/off, damage numbers, etc? Right now I run vanilla, and was thinking of trying some of the other ones.

Back to pets build for my WD until they do something about DoTs.

DoT mechanic is bullshit. You either get a crit for full duration or none. It's not fun when a mechanic of your game goes from AMAZING to weaksauce constantly flip flopping between the two.

And this is another result of crit dmg being so overly powerful in this game.

scy

Thanks - The Blackthorne rolls were poor, most didn't even roll Vit. Worst thing about BT is they never roll AllRes, which is why my Allres is pretty poor. I probably will roll sockets on the pants for diamonds. Not sure about Shield Glare, I like the actual utility of judgement of locking mobs down for Falling Sword, they have a tendency to move out of the way before it lands, and the guaranteed crits is a nice bonus and helps the group as well (I'm almost always in a group).

Went to sleep after my post but wanted to chime in on this. Shield Glare is also a 4s stun, essentially, since they just stand there while blinded. It even works on bosses so you can use it to interrupt certain attack animations (e.g., Bloodmaw's windup into his Leap, Infernal Angel's spin, etc.).

Little confused on how +% dmg and non-black damage works on weapons.. wouldn't the guaranteed +% dmg and guaranteed cold dmg on http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/natalyas-slayer be in conflict? Or does the +% dmg actually go towards the "Damage" stat?

They're supposed to work together but currently do not due to a bug. So, yeah, +Damage% and the Elemental damage here don't play nice until it gets fixed.

It seems Crusaders have to have the 6 piece set bonus to become absolutely ridiculous. Kind of annoying.

Not really. I may not DPS like a Wizard or something but it's not like I do nothing. And I'm pretty much unkillable in T1-T4.

I just pulled the biggest Diablo Noob move ever......just watched a video on some dude opening 100 horadic caches. Which I then recognized the items. I never knew what those damn things were and I was just stashing them in my chest. I have about 15 saved up to sort through tonight. hahaha

ferr

They're supposed to work together but currently do not due to a bug. So, yeah, +Damage% and the Elemental damage here don't play nice until it gets fixed.

Looks like people seem to be re-rolling for black damage. Not the worst situation considering it comes with a socket.

kingslunk

Went to sleep after my post but wanted to chime in on this. Shield Glare is also a 4s stun, essentially, since they just stand there while blinded. It even works on bosses so you can use it to interrupt certain attack animations (e.g., Bloodmaw's windup into his Leap, Infernal Angel's spin, etc.).

Not really. I may not DPS like a Wizard or something but it's not like I do nothing. And I'm pretty much unkillable in T1-T4.

I'm not talking about T1-T4. I'm talking about walking into T6 and just steam rolling it like it's normal.

50% CDR for Akarat, 50% cost reduction. With a few CDR items, Akarat being on 100% means permanent 25% IAS and perm 100% increased wrath regen.

That is just unreal to have. You can literally hit so often (with like splitting hammers etc) that bombardment is basically never on CD. Get the flail with double bombardment and you're hitting like 100 mil every time bombardment is off CD. The ability to spend crazy amounts of wrath (bonus from the set) really makes this ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom