• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jersoc

rnjesus has smiled upon me this day.

6akWjpF.png

I hate you a little less now, reverence :p

Discobird

Just dinged 70 on my DH and I have no idea what I'm doing. Tips pls! I know I know, I need to socket my weapon. No souls atm!

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Noray-2106/hero/1184257

That Buriza was sitting in my stash for a while, dropped on my 'sader =\

Nice, that's a pretty sweet Buriza actually! You might not replace it for a long time.

Do you have an idea of what kind of build you want to run? That will dictate your gear targets. Here are a few:

• Fire build with Cluster Arrow - Loaded for Bear. Most popular by far, extremely powerful DPS from a good range. Gets about 5x better if you have a Cindercoat, Magefist and Pride's Fall, but it is plenty viable without them while you farm for those items (I've been there). This is what I enjoy and I can solo T2 rifts in 6-10 minutes depending on map layout, T4 rifts in about twice that time. Never die in either case except to exceptionally bad waller packs if I get completely trapped on top of a ground effect with my potion on cooldown. Link to my profile.
  • Physical build with companions/sentries. Also very strong and relatively safe in T6, but it is highly gear dependent. You want a Cloak of the Garwulf, 4-pc Marauder's, Tasker & Theo's and Bombardier's Rucksack ideally. T&T plus either the cloak or the Marauder's 4-pc is probably the minimum requirement for this build to shine. Most people seem to use Chakram - Razor Disk as their spender with this build.
  • Physical build with Strafe/Fan of Knives. I haven't tried it but it revolves around the Sash of Knives belt and Fan of Knives with the Knives Expert rune (removes cooldown and adds a hatred cost). Fan of Knives has no casting animation so you can spam it while you're strafing. Obviously more of a close range build. I've heard it's viable up to T2 but struggles in T3 and beyond. Sash of Knives is really the only legendary you need to make this one work so it is relatively gear independent, although Hexing Pants of Mr. Yan supposedly help a lot.
  • Lightning build with Multishot - Fire at Will or CA - Dazzling Arrow. See my previous post about this a page or two back. I forgot to mention that the Wyrdward ring is really good with this build (chance to stun when you do lightning damage).
  • Cold build with Frost Arrow. Pretty gear independent and safe as Garath pointed out. I don't have a lot of experience with it myself but unfortunately DH's don't have many (any?) good cold skills besides Frost Arrow.
  • Poison build with Chakram - Serpentine. This is a pretty efficient spender. I flirted with it a bit but I can't stand the slow projectile speed and this build doesn't really do anything better than CA - LFB as far as I can tell. I suppose it's OK if you have a pair of Swamp Land Waders and/or poison damage Andariel's lying around.

Whatever you do, try and get a Pride's Fall and Reaper's Wrap with CC and the element of your choice. They work well with almost every DH build (Pride's Fall might not be great for Fan of Knives).

ferr

So was hoping somebody could help me make a decision. I got Magefists drop today on my crusader which is awesome as I'm running a Fire Build at the moment and really like it. I've made a great deal of improvements on my gear since just a few days ago from getting the opinions of people who know their shit here, so was hoping for a bit more help.

4osggmy.jpg

My dilemma comes from the fact that the Crush Desire is pretty much the perfect roll for damage on the gloves. It's near max strength (622 of 625 max), Max IAS (6 of 6 max), CHD (48 of 50 max), and CHC (9.5 of 10 max). I mean its got primary and trifecta all near max for the item.

The Magefist in comparison has middling rolls for a good set of attributes. The + Fire damage is as low as possible (15 in a range of 15 to 20), 658 str out of a range of 626-750, 6 IAS in a range of 5-7, Max CHD which is very nice of the mystic after making me roll 20+ times to finally get a socket on Maximus, and 6% CDR.

Looking at raw values Magefist gives more strength, same IAS, slightly more CHD, and the increased CDR and fire damage while giving up 9.5% crit.

I know crit chance and damage are pretty much the holy grails of 2.0 so I'm wondering if the CDR and +Fire make up for what I'm losing in terms of sheet dps. I have +35% fire atm (20 from Maximus and 15 from bracers) and the rest of my stats are included in the picture.

You can read whatever you want into it, but the difference is +1% damage from your magefist IF you use nothing but fire skills. Non-fire skills will be -14% damage with magefist.

vv-- actually yeah what Mugaaz said. You would still need to account for the 14% dmg loss when taking the +15% fire dmg. It comes to slightly less than 100% of your current damage with fire skills.

Mugaaz

So was hoping somebody could help me make a decision. I got Magefists drop today on my crusader which is awesome as I'm running a Fire Build at the moment and really like it. I've made a great deal of improvements on my gear since just a few days ago from getting the opinions of people who know their shit here, so was hoping for a bit more help.

4osggmy.jpg

My dilemma comes from the fact that the Crush Desire is pretty much the perfect roll for damage on the gloves. It's near max strength (622 of 625 max), Max IAS (6 of 6 max), CHD (48 of 50 max), and CHC (9.5 of 10 max). I mean its got primary and trifecta all near max for the item.

The Magefist in comparison has middling rolls for a good set of attributes. The + Fire damage is as low as possible (15 in a range of 15 to 20), 658 str out of a range of 626-750, 6 IAS in a range of 5-7, Max CHD which is very nice of the mystic after making me roll 20+ times to finally get a socket on Maximus, and 6% CDR.

Looking at raw values Magefist gives more strength, same IAS, slightly more CHD, and the increased CDR and fire damage while giving up 9.5% crit.

I know crit chance and damage are pretty much the holy grails of 2.0 so I'm wondering if the CDR and +Fire make up for what I'm losing in terms of sheet dps. I have +35% fire atm (20 from Maximus and 15 from bracers) and the rest of my stats are included in the picture.

What is so complicated dude. You take the DPS loss from magefist X% remove that percentage from 100. Multiply that new number by the elemental bonus of Magefist. Now you know whether fire skills deal more damage after rather than before. If it's more you determine if its worth giving up non fire damage for fire damage. The end. Really. So if Magefist was a 15% dps loss, then 15% fire bonus is worse than you were before, not the same, because it's a 15% bonus to the new value of 85, which would be 97.75. The only other factor is how many skills/items you have that trigger "on crit". The value of this isn't really numerical most of the time, it typically is more in the real of sustain or cdr. You should be able to determine how impactful these are through experience.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I just screamed like a little girl, I am so fucking happy right now, everyone in the house must think I've gone nuts.

yzRK1v3.jpg

The legendary affix is insane, elite packs are just getting destroyed.

Ashodin

Zero opportunity cost? I mean, if the socket is there then it could also be 23% Life or 12.5% CDR. It's possible for the latter to be irrelevant in some cases but I don't know as 23% Life falls under that category.

especially because 23% life is huge.

Kawl_USC

What is so complicated dude. You take the DPS loss from magefist X% remove that percentage from 100. Multiply that new number by the elemental bonus of Magefist. Now you know whether fire skills deal more damage after rather than before. If it's more you determine if its worth giving up non fire damage for fire damage. The end. Really. So if Magefist was a 15% dps loss, then 15% fire bonus is worse than you were before, not the same, because it's a 15% bonus to the new value of 85, which would be 97.75. The only other factor is how many skills/items you have that trigger "on crit". The value of this isn't really numerical most of the time, it typically is more in the real of sustain or cdr. You should be able to determine how impactful these are through experience.

I was more just wondering if any complicated matters like additive bonuses versus multiplicative come into play with elemental bonus versus more standard dps boosts like Crit Chance. With things like +Dam % on weapons being less effective and what not I was just curious if there was some knowledge about elemental damage that was well known by more experienced players. I know Sheet Damage and Toughness are almost useless once you start getting into better gear so was hoping for some guidance, but you're right I should just take the time and play with both and see what feels better.

Thanks for your help.

Mugaaz

Zero opportunity cost? I mean, if the socket is there then it could also be 23% Life or 12.5% CDR. It's possible for the latter to be irrelevant in some cases but I don't know as 23% Life falls under that category.

23% is worthless for a lot of people, like the dudes who play T1 only and just want max kill speed. (I think they're completely wrong btw). There's also plenty of people who can't kill T(x) efficiently, but have a zero chance of dying on T(x-1), so might as well wear a topaz, since CDR is useless to quite a few builds. I'd say the biggest opportunity cost is the fact their helm has a gem slot instead of another attribute lol.

Finally, it's kind of a pure fun factor issue for people on softcore. It's easy to ridicule people for bad efficiency choices, but if theyre picking topazes cause they play D3 for lego drops exclusively theyre not "doing it wrong". I'll never stop making fun of cold wizards for picking Glass Cannon over Cold-Blooded, but if a dude wants to wear a Topaz that's his choice.

I was more just wondering if any complicated matters like additive bonuses versus multiplicative come into play with elemental bonus versus more standard dps boosts like Crit Chance. With things like +Dam % on weapons being less effective and what not I was just curious if there was some knowledge about elemental damage that was well known by more experienced players. I know Sheet Damage and Toughness are almost useless once you start getting into better gear so was hoping for some guidance, but you're right I should just take the time and play with both and see what feels better.

Thanks for your help.

While sheet damage is not real damage, that's because of the factors sheet damage doesn't take into account. When you compare Damage gain/losses of one item to another, you can use that number to compute the effectiveness of the change if you do the math for elemental/skill/elite/etc bonus changes after. The sheet damage numbers aren't wrong, theyre just not eDPS so it's dumb when people ask "what kind of damage do I need for Torment 3". A dude with Thunderfury/SoH is obviously doing a shit ton of eDPS not factored into his sheet damage, but that doesn't mean he can't compare a Magefist vs a trifecta glove based off the damage values.

Discobird

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/hellmonkey-1619/hero/2687745

That is my build, I was running all night doing T1 rifts. I think I did 6 or 7 and ran out of hatred/disc once when we stumbled upon a champ pack hanging out with 7-10 treasure goblins. It absolutely requires Cindercoat and Reap Wraps make it much easier. 1 Globe gives me like 62.5 or so hatred.

I know my RoV is not fire based, but the damage is much more consistent over a much larger area than any of the other runes. On T1, most packs die in less than 5 seconds and rift guardians take 5-10 seconds. I pretty much only use vengeance for rift guardians or when I get 2 packs at once. I have no idea if there is anything better to replace it with. I almost never use it, but its a great oh shit button and still works even if im out of hatred and just firing normal shots.

I finally broke 3M toughness, so I might try T2, maybe. T1 is getting pretty trivial with the damage I deal.

Nice, I'm jealous of those Reaper's Wraps haha.

The RoV fire runes are not that good so you're not missing much. Stampede is too narrow and Anathema is so small it's very easy for monsters to move out of the AOE. On higher torments I like Flying Strike because it's 7 straight seconds of stunning in a decent AOE, very powerful for a 30s coldown ability.

I tried personal mortar but I hate the derpy aiming on the mortars. I think Seethe is better so you can spam more LFBs, but I've phased Vengeance out from my bar in any case. (Profile link.).

How are you liking Multishot? Does it add much on top of LFB? Does the MS one-shot stuff on T1? I have it on my bar right now for Normal bounties but I haven't tried it in rifts yet.

P33KAJ3W

Neo Member
There used to be a Real Money Auction House in the PC version, but the auction stuff, both gold and real money, is all gone now with the expansion.

It's hard to call it pay to win though, there's nothing to win. Made for making a nice little bit of cash off some suckers though.

Thank you (also thank you for seeing through my play to win typo)

Discobird

So if Magefist was a 15% dps loss, then 15% fire bonus is worse than you were before, not the same, because it's a 15% bonus to the new value of 85, which would be 97.75.

That math only works if he has no +fire damage from other gear. If he does, then the Magefists look even worse since that 15% bonus is additive with the rest of his gear.

-edit- he said he has 20% from Maximus and 15% from bracer's so the end result is closer to 94%

Shouta

Ran with Darsh, eek, and jres last night doing a bunch of rifts. They had significantly more DPS than us so they were just melting enemies on their WZ and WD, lol.

I got some nice upgrades and I picked up the shield that reduce's Heaven's Fury by 50%.

Basically, my Crusader is raining lightning (gold and blue!) and holy death beams from the sky now.

Kawl_USC

Alright thanks Mugaaz, still trying to figure out exactly how everything fits together.

And ah, that is the type of thing I guess my question was really about Discobird, although that didn't come across very clearly. Thank you for the information.

rnjesus has smiled upon me this day.

6akWjpF.png

This is very high on my list of desired items.

Firebird's Plume\Breast (for set bonus, I have pants)
Ice Climbers
Moonlight Ward \ Countess Julia's Cameo
Andariel's Visage
Witching Hour
Gesture of Orpheus

So many things I haven't seen drop yet =(

Atlantis

This is very high on my list of desired items.

Firebird's Plume\Breast (for set bonus, I have pants)
Ice Climbers
Moonlight Ward \ Countess Julia's Cameo
Andariel's Visage
Witching Hour
Gesture of Orpheus

So many things I haven't seen drop yet =(

Before this list, I felt like I was the only person who hadn't gotten an amazing Andariel's Visage yet.

Dahbomb

Ditto on not getting socket on Helms anymore.

You want Main stat, Crit chance and skill bonus on your Helm. The skill bonus that the Helm gives is usually your main resource spender and it's usually your main damage dealer. This just leaves one other primary stat and some Legendary helms come with attack speed or +% element damage which you need to keep.

Socket is still a fine option and I would say it's pretty much mandatory for builds that have skills on CD.

Svafnir

I see a lot of people discussing pure DPS stats for item slots all the time. But T4-6 you really need to start stacking toughness.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I see a lot of people discussing pure DPS stats for item slots all the time. But T4-6 you really need to start stacking toughness.

I imagine resists in those tiers are hugely important like pre-nerf Inferno.

Wallach

For what it's worth, it'll be fixed eventually.

Yeah, given the blue post about it I would expect at least by the first major content patch.

On the other hand, in his case it wouldn't matter a ton really since he's rerolling into that stat and not out of it for a socket.

I imagine resists in those tiers are hugely important like pre-nerf Inferno.

Mitigation in general, really. Toughness stat is really going to fuck people up as they try to increase Torments because they're going to see big gains off stupid shit and not understand why T4-6 seem so hard. I suspect most people will be particularly low on Armor and high on Vit which will blow up the value of both their healing and resists massively.

scy

Besides that, people need to get the % mitigation options too and not just stacking more-and-more Armor/Resists/etc.

Dahbomb

It's really difficult to get armor as a Monk player. I have been sub 10K armor forever but my resistances are now at 2000 with Mantra of Healing. I think I should start swapping my Paragon points here and there.

I wish there was a gem that added a ton of armor to gear. Like I would totally use that for my Monk.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, given the blue post about it I would expect at least by the first major content patch.

On the other hand, in his case it wouldn't matter a ton really since he's rerolling into that stat and not out of it for a socket.

Mitigation in general, really. Toughness stat is really going to fuck people up as they try to increase Torments because they're going to see big gains off stupid shit and not understand why T4-6 seem so hard. I suspect most people will be particularly low on Armor and high on Vit which will blow up the value of both their healing and resists massively.

They should just take HP completely out of the toughness equation. In many cases, having really high HP is actually a bad thing.

Making those individual hit points more valuable is what it's all about.

Don't do this. +%dmg is nearly useless om a weapon with elemental damage.

Can you explain? How does +% damage work?

Wallach

It's really difficult to get armor as a Monk player. I have been sub 10K armor forever but my resistances are now at 2000 with Mantra of Healing. I think I should start swapping my Paragon points here and there.

I wish there was a gem that added a ton of armor to gear. Like I would totally use that for my Monk.

You should probably get Armor % in Paragon after AR. Even on my DH it is better than Life % there and you have about twice my resists (and probably more Armor to boot).

Dahbomb

You should probably get Armor % in Paragon after AR. Even on my DH it is better than Life % there and you have about twice my resists (and probably more Armor to boot).
Yeah that's what I am doing. I am saying that I should put more points in Armor than All Res (which are maxed out for me). Although I guess by the time I reach 400 they will be maxed out anyway so it's not like something I need to do right away.

As far as how +% damage is supposed to work on weapons.... it's SUPPOSED to add up the damage value of your element damage as well (so 6% on the 1100-1400 damage you rolled on a weapon). Right now it's only rolling on the base damage of the weapon (basically the damage you get if it was a white weapon) so the 6% boost is very slight and not worth picking up. But it's getting fixed so it will be much more desirable to have on weapons in the future.

Wallach

Yeah that's what I am doing. I am saying that I should put more points in Armor than All Res (which are maxed out for me). Although I guess by the time I reach 400 they will be maxed out anyway so it's not like something I need to do right away.

Yeah. You're probably better off leaving it in Paragon and trying to move AR into Armor on your gear moving forward.

Ashodin

Low Life + High Resist on Crusader is exceptionally amazing with Wrathful. Since the skill restores a number, not a %, you can get yourself back to full health with a single use of Fires of Heaven or multiple uses of Fist of the Heavens etc

Shifty76

Say your weapon is 1k dps at 1.4 attack speed and has a damage range of 614 - 814 (614 + 814) /2 * 1.4 = 1000 dps (rounded)

Now say it has an elemental dmg roll of "adds 600 - 800 elemental dmg"

600 of that 614 minimum roll is elemental, and 800 of the max roll is elemental, leaving 14 min and 14 max as physical.

As it is right now, the ONLY part of your weapon getting the benefit of the +x% dmg roll is that 14 min and 14 max part (otherwise known as "black" dmg)

Needless to say, this makes +%dmg rolls pretty much worthless RIGHT NOW on elemental dmg weapons

Sanctuary

First 200 hours of Loot 2.0: No Thunderfury
Last 36 hours of Loot 2.0: Two Thunderfurys

First 200 hours of Loot 2.0: No Thunderfuty, but about 35 two-handed weapons and 4 one-handed weapons.
Last 36 hours of Loot 2.0: another five two-handed weapons.
Also: nine shields.

As a Wizard.

My first level 70 was a Crusader. Stuck on a loot list based on your first level 70, hmmmm?

garath

They should just take HP completely out of the toughness equation. In many cases, having really high HP is actually a bad thing.

Making those individual hit points more valuable is what it's all about.

I know the talk lately in the thread is about how to make that toughness stat work for you. Mixing resists in with raw hp is crucial to having balanced survivability but saying things like "having really high HP is a bad thing" is really going overboard.

If player A has 600k hp and no mitigation but player B has 300k hp and 50% mitigation then guess what.. they can both take the same amount of damage.

Monster hits for 100k - player A dead in 6 hits, player B dead in 6 hits.

Healing such as life on hit is where a lower hp/higher mitigation setup really shines. That 1.5k per hit heal will go a longer way when you are mitigating 50% damage.

However, don't forget about skills that heal % of max life. In that case, the super high hp will be a boon.

It's about balancing around your particular setup, not neglecting one for the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom