• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

I decided to craft some extra gear and play a lightning/holy hybrid build for a bit, just to do something different with the Crusader... and oh god.

Soloing with my Holy build I was stomping Torment 2, doing on a good pace Torment 3 and having problems at Torment 4 due my toughness (part of the reason to craft the extra gear). With this one I'm doing Torment 5 and it feels easier than T4 with the other build, even with almost 200k less paper DPS and much less elemental damage (from +94% holy to 18% holy+17% lightning). Crazy.

Gonna craft another Asheara piece to add some extra followers to this madness. Shame I can't go with permaAC, the way Fissure procs AC-Rally is amazing. I'm spamming Condemns (with BoP) each 1-2 seconds vs elites :D

Granted, it's unscientific as hell but our rift clears in a party just generally go by faster when I use Heaven's Tempest instead of Fissure. I dunno, maybe I'm just doing Fissure wrong.

Dahbomb

They need more Legendaries that have +% element on armor pieces. It's why Fire is reigning supreme... it comes on two armor pieces when some don't even come on one. It's really not balanced at all... no other element Legendary has "reduce resource cost of Fire skills".

They should probably buff some of the more useless Legendaries with those affixes.

scy

Any crusaders have luck with blessed shield builds? I've got a helm of rule pattern just now and wondering how it well it works.

The 1h mace which removes resource cost also sounds ridiculous.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/item/gyrfalcons-foote

The problem with this is what's the point of Blessed Shield in the build then? I mean, it's not generating you Wrath so it doesn't replace a Primary. It doesn't cost Wrath so you still want a way to dump Wrath (unless you just ignore that mechanic entirely). On top of that, I just don't think Blessed Shield does enough right now. Just kind of awkward really.

Ashodin

The problem with this is what's the point of Blessed Shield in the build then? I mean, it's not generating you Wrath so it doesn't replace a Primary. It doesn't cost Wrath so you still want a way to dump Wrath (unless you just ignore that mechanic entirely). On top of that, I just don't think Blessed Shield does enough right now. Just kind of awkward really.

IMO you could put it on your bar as a spammable ability in combat with your other stuff. Use the rune that increases your armor or stuns enemies.

Totakeke

Huh, you're overthinking this. The skill has to do good damage of course, it's supposed to be a wrath spender.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
9zIcegi.jpg

T-thanks, Myriam.

Thanks Myriam.

for once

Wtf. Sold a chest piece with 3 gems and the gems disappeared instead of going back into inventory??.

Anyone else have this?

That has always been the case, you only get the gems if you salvage the item.

Baliis

Honestly in my build I'd just ignore wrath entirely probably. My build works for me as is, but it would be a lot more damage to not be spending wrath. Maybe change Heavens Fury to a wrath dump? idk how it would work regen wise, probably crappy.

scy

IMO you could put it on your bar as a spammable ability in combat with your other stuff. Use the rune that increases your armor or stuns enemies.

Except it has such a long animation that you can't really spam it in the middle of using other stuff. And I'm not sure I'd really drop anything for it :x

Huh, you're overthinking this. The skill has to do good damage of course, it's supposed to be a wrath spender.

What I'm saying is it ultimately just turns your build into one with nothing to use Wrath for, really, and everything into Cooldown skills. You just spam Blessed Shield. The problem then is that Blessed Shield still doesn't feel all that powerful of a skill so it's not really worth giving up the better Wrath spenders to do this in the first place.

Nete

For what it counts, I really like Blessed Shield as skill. Its main problem is the lack of damage against single targets, but for anything else is pretty nice. And with a zero cost, even more. F*ck wrath :p

What I don't like is the crippled damage for cooldown skills with 1h weapon. Thats my only issue with Gyrfalcon's Foote.

Granted, it's unscientific as hell but our rift clears in a party just generally go by faster when I use Heaven's Tempest instead of Fissure. I dunno, maybe I'm just doing Fissure wrong.

Haven't tested Heaven's Tempest yet, had good memories with Fissure from the beta and I tagged with it. Does Tempest damage stack if placed on same spot?

Totakeke

What I'm saying is it ultimately just turns your build into one with nothing to use Wrath for, really, and everything into Cooldown skills. You just spam Blessed Shield. The problem then is that Blessed Shield still doesn't feel all that powerful of a skill so it's not really worth giving up the better Wrath spenders to do this in the first place.

Then the answer is simply that blessed shield isn't worth spamming. If it's not worth it for free, then it's not worth it for anything.

Ashodin

Except it has such a long animation that you can't really spam it in the middle of using other stuff. And I'm not sure I'd really drop anything for it :x

Ah yeah that animation...

scy

Haven't tested Heaven's Tempest yet, had good memories with Fissure from the beta and I tagged with it. Does Tempest damage stack if placed on same spot?

It does. They also move a little bit so it'll chase enemies that walk slightly out of the AoE. Plus, it deals 150%/second so it's nice if you only get 1 or 2 off for a tick or two.

Then the answer is simply that blessed shield isn't worth spamming. If it's not worth it for free, then it's not worth it for anything.

Pretty much. Just wanted to expand on it since I've long wondered what's the point of that item. Turning a spender into a free skill doesn't really do anything unless it's the hands down best spender (e.g., if it made Fires of Heaven free).

Shouta

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Shouta-1258/hero/43526959

Crusader up to 600k DPS in game though the site doesn't show it, lol.

Got the Wyrdward today which goes nicely with the Thunderfury. With Nephalem Glory active, it's basically lightning everywhere. 10 sec Heaven's Fury is amazing too and the Bombardment helps me rip through elites. So good.

T1 solo is a cake walk and everything melts. Gonna try to jump into T2 solo for fun when I'm not doing T1 farming with Darsh or others.

Baliis

Pretty much. Just wanted to expand on it since I've long wondered what's the point of that item. Turning a spender into a free skill doesn't really do anything unless it's the hands down best spender (e.g., if it made Fires of Heaven free).

Not necessarily true, it just has to be a viable skill, which I think Blessed Shield can be with a little bit of tuning. "best spender" really depends on your build, assuming the class is well designed

cough wizard cough

scy

Not necessarily true, it just has to be a viable skill, which I think Blessed Shield can be with a little bit of tuning. "best spender" really depends on your build, assuming the class is well designed

cough wizard cough

True. Blessed Shield currently just doesn't hit enough targets to be a true AoE skill, lacks in single target damage, and then it just has that awkward animation anyway. Granted, I've only tried it out maybe for ~10 rifts with my Fire set but that's also my best +Damage% set (since Cindercoat / Magefist / Maximus) and it definitely felt lackluster compared to other builds.

If it can be a standalone skill, you can basically just ignore Wrath entirely and go full cooldown stuff. It's just not at that point yet.

Shouta

True. Blessed Shield currently just doesn't hit enough targets to be a true AoE skill, lacks in single target damage, and then it just has that awkward animation anyway. Granted, I've only tried it out maybe for ~10 rifts with my Fire set but that's also my best +Damage% set (since Cindercoat / Magefist / Maximus) and it definitely felt lackluster compared to other builds.

If it can be a standalone skill, you can basically just ignore Wrath entirely and go full cooldown stuff. It's just not at that point yet.

I've used Shattering Throw before and it's not too bad but the additional shields need more damage, I think. Don't have an issue with the number. But since Fist got buffed, I've been using that with Divine Well.

Actually, it's up to 333% for additional shields? That might be nice to try out, lol.

scy

I've used Shattering Throw before and it's not too bad but the additional shields need more damage, I think. Don't have an issue with the number. But since Fist got buffed, I've been using that with Divine Well.

Actually, it's up to 333% for additional shields? That might be nice to try out, lol.

Is it? Should still be 50% Weapon Damage I thought.

Macattk15

My Wrathful Protector Gargantuan with my Mask of Jeram crits for 100 million. Shit is broken.

Especially when Grave Injustice lets me summon him all the damn time with my CDR.

GorillaJu

They need more Legendaries that have +% element on armor pieces. It's why Fire is reigning supreme... it comes on two armor pieces when some don't even come on one. It's really not balanced at all... no other element Legendary has "reduce resource cost of Fire skills".

They should probably buff some of the more useless Legendaries with those affixes.

Well I would say that the utility of fire element generally speaking is close to nothing, so while you may get a high numbers nuke build with cinder coat and magefist, most classes' best builds aren't pure fire.

I think TGV, TF, Fulminator, Odyn Son and Schaefer's make lightning competitive. And Azure wraith is sick for cold builds, too.

But I agree with your general opinion, I'd like to see more neat elemental enhancing effects aside from just fire.

Shouta

well I'm dumb

I'll try this later, assuming I ever get a Holy build pieced back together.

I'm getting 3.3 mil too. And they ricochet back onto targets if there's enough, so it seems like a pretty solid skill now, especially if you get it for free, lol.

Just sucks on single enemies.

scy

I'm getting 3.3 mil too. And they ricochet back onto targets, so it seems like a pretty solid skill now, especially if you get it for free, lol.

Maybe. Depends on how it functions in single-target situations. Still, that's not bad at all for free spammable skill with the GF.

I'm using BS as my basic attack and FoH as my spender. I also have Jekangbord. Combine that with shattering rune and I plow through everything.

Blessed Shield - Shattering Throw with the flail and a +6 bounce shield absolutely wrecks groups of mobs. Its pretty terrible on single mobs but as long as there are least 3 or so monsters you can kill stuff pretty fast. I was trying out a build in T3 rifts last night, and didn't use any skills that cost wrath. It seems pretty effective, but it was rather boring. You don't really even need to aim, just hold down the button in general direction of the enemies and watch them die.

Is there any spots to farm the white Ascended Shield? I want to make the Hollowed shield for my Shotgun Crusader, but I cant seem to find fuckin any. An hour of hitting the Battlefields netted me basically everything but the shield.

scy

I'm using BS as my basic attack and FoH as my spender. I also have Jekangbord. Combine that with shattering rune and I plow through everything.

Blessed Shield - Shattering Throw with the flail and a +6 bounce shield absolutely wrecks groups of mobs. Its pretty terrible on single mobs but as long as there are least 3 or so monsters you can kill stuff pretty fast. I was trying out a build in T3 rifts last night, and didn't use any skills that cost wrath. It seems pretty effective, but it was rather boring. You don't really even need to aim, just hold down the button in general direction of the enemies and watch them die.

Yeah, thinking about it some more with the new Shattered Throw numbers (and with it not killing you) + Jekangbord changes things a bit. I'll have to get to testing this out ... whenever I get all of these.

Edit: In other news, I'm now up to 10 Deathseer's Cowls from Kadala since the hotfix. Thanks. I guess.

Baliis

Yeah, thinking about it some more with the new Shattered Throw numbers (and with it not killing you) + Jekangbord changes things a bit. I'll have to get to testing this out ... whenever I get all of these.

I know IceMarker has been enjoying his pinball crusader as he calls it.

Is there any spots to farm the white Ascended Shield? I want to make the Hollowed shield for my Shotgun Crusader, but I cant seem to find fuckin any. An hour of hitting the Battlefields netted me basically everything but the shield.

Look for the Scavenged Scabbard bounty in act 1 southern highlands. Vendel the Armorsmith can sell them after you finish it.

ElyrionX

Got a string of useless legs and then a Tal ammy dropped. And it rolled with cc, chd and vit so I don't even need to re-roll it. One more piece (hopefully chest) and I will be able to get the full set bonus.

Dark_castle

soj.jpg

Just gotten a SoJ. Should I reroll the +80-152 damage to Crit.chance or wait for my Wand of Woh to drop and reroll Cold % to Fire %?

Also, compared to my rare ring, it resulted in a huge loss in dps, probably less when it's rerolled to Crit chance, but still. Is the 28% against elite worth it? Elite doesn't include the white minions, champion packs, uniques and bosses right?

Majine

Banned
I'm stuck on the ram in Act V. My DH usually just keeps her distance of all enemies, but it's hard when it's such a small area ;/

soj.jpg

Just gotten a SoJ. Should I reroll the +80-152 damage to Crit.chance or wait for my Wand of Woh to drop and reroll Cold % to Fire %?

Also, compared to my rare ring, it resulted in a huge loss in dps, probably less when it's rerolled to Crit chance, but still. Is the 28% against elite worth it? Elite doesn't include the white minions, champion packs, uniques and bosses right?
Its everything that isn't a plain white mob or a boss.

I'm stuck on the ram in Act V. My DH usually just keeps her distance of all enemies, but it's hard when it's such a small area ;/

Turn down the difficulty if you still have a lot of lvl60 gear.
With my DH I started Act V on Torment 2 and by the time I reached Malthael I was at Expert ... you don't gear up as fast as the monsters scale to lvl70.

PSA: Remember not to neglect your secondary stats on gear. Bracers and chest could give you melee and range damage reduction and that works wonders since you eventually hit diminishing returns on armor and res.

I've been stress testing my wiz in t6, since they actually seem to be pretty weak compared to other classes in the top end (there's no way they are going to match the dps of Barb, Wd, or Dh). But I've been doing okay, because I completed Ashearas, Aughilds, and have the 3 set of blackthorne's. I've also been testing arcane mines because it has a 60% aspd and move debuff which actually is ridiculous (though you need to play smart and use cc like blackhole to make full potential of it). Jagged Ice armor seems to mitigate melee attacks much better than prismatic armor does.

I lost over 100k sheet dps, but I definitely do more damage now than I did before, especially against elites. If I use cascade AT I do 7m a crit and it hits multiple times a second. Arcane mines does 23-27m after it gets armed (takes 2 seconds. They should make a leg that instantly arms them or allows more than the 6 mine cap. I would use it). It's because I have 54% elite damage, 45% arcane, 30% AT. Defensive wise I get hurt by range more than melee. I have only 7% range reduction, and around 24% melee with ice armor, and reduce elite damage by 25%. I can get bracers with a better secondary, so I'm looking forward to crafting that. If I can find a blackthorne spurs I can replace my belt to keep the bonus and use my string of ears which adds 28% melee reduction on top of that.I really think if people really want to move on up to torment 6, they would need to go to many sources of damage and mitigation as possible (or play something crazy like SoH + TF WW which procs like mad).

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/sixmachine-1693/hero/41333589

edit: Stuff that effect elite damage basically is anything with a gold health bar, even bosses like, champ packs, purples, Diablo and Rift Guardians. Basically everything that is not a white mob pretty much gets the bonuses.

Dark_castle

Its everything that isn't a plain white mob or a boss.

Oh, nice. Luckily I am running a cold build (sorta) at the moment, the cold % helps to salvage the loss of trifecta a little. Now I've got Cindercoat, Magefist and SoJ. Just need Moonlight Ward and Wand of Woh and I'm ready to roll.

V_Arnold

Oh, nice. Luckily I am running a cold build (sorta) at the moment, the cold % helps to salvage the loss of trifecta a little. Now I've got Cindercoat, Magefist and SoJ. Just need Moonlight Ward and Wand of Woh and I'm ready to roll.

A little? "-12%" damage is not a huge loss when it is MORE than compensated by the "cold +damage" already. Add the elite damage bonus, and it is clear that that SoJ is a clear upgrade on anything except that illusiory dps number on your sheet.

V_Arnold

SixMachine: Virtual high five for using mines as well! They are my favorite skill, and although they take seconds to aim and have a cap, they can work together with many skills to achieve a sort of synergy.

I use the orb that gives me Wormhole rune on teleport. So I am able to aoe stun+damage mobs 3 times in a row every time I take a hit higher than 15%. So what I do is that I lay the mines, teleport in, hit 4-5 times with electrocute to get the +75% boost for the next round of mines, and by this time, the mines have already been detonated.

The good thing about this is that if the mobs manage to deal 15% of my hp as damage to me, my teleport resets (passive), and the chain begins anew. Teleport has a 100% Life on Hit effectiveness PER TARGET, so if I teleport into a group of 10 mobs with 10k LOH, I instantly gain 100k hp. I can repeat it 2 more times, so if I am not dead, I *will* be on full health once I teleported to mobs. And bosses do not hit hard enough in T2 for me to not be able to outheal their damage with mine detonates+electrocute spam.

SixMachine: Virtual high five for using mines as well! They are my favorite skill, and although they take seconds to aim and have a cap, they can work together with many skills to achieve a sort of synergy.

I use the orb that gives me Wormhole rune on teleport. So I am able to aoe stun+damage mobs 3 times in a row every time I take a hit higher than 15%. So what I do is that I lay the mines, teleport in, hit 4-5 times with electrocute to get the +75% boost for the next round of mines, and by this time, the mines have already been detonated.

The good thing about this is that if the mobs manage to deal 15% of my hp as damage to me, my teleport resets (passive), and the chain begins anew. Teleport has a 100% Life on Hit effectiveness PER TARGET, so if I teleport into a group of 10 mobs with 10k LOH, I instantly gain 100k hp. I can repeat it 2 more times, so if I am not dead, I *will* be on full health once I teleported to mobs. And bosses do not hit hard enough in T2 for me to not be able to outheal their damage with mine detonates+electrocute spam.

That source sounds really interesting. The only thing that I found that effected teleport was the Oculus source which lowers teleport cooldown by 4 seconds, but doesn't give me as much damage benefits as my triumvirate. Though it's very good for speedrunning t1 rifts or doing normal bounties. I collected most of the interesting ones except Myken's Ball of Hate and the source you are talking about (barring the set ones. I have no luck with those at all).

soj.jpg

I'd re-roll the cold to CD quick-fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom