• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

plake

Just a reminder.

ROS

HYPEEEEEEE!

Also, since Yoshichan told me he makes sound of hammers as he enters this thread - now I do too, every time. :(

neoism

where are meh motheafucin wings BLIZZARD...

Tom-Hiddleston.gif

:p

x-Lundz-x

Blizzard is now deleting posts about BOA on the official forums. Guess people are finally striking a nerve. They needs to address the community about it.

j-wood

Does anyone else think the legendaries being BOA was just a temporary system until the AH fully shut down? So that people didn't flood the market with all the new items?

Now that the AH is done, I wonder if a future patch removes the BOA system.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Blizzard is now deleting posts about BOA on the official forums. Guess people are finally striking a nerve. They needs to address the community about it.

This really is the best solution but no one will answer from Blizzard.

They already did. It wouldn't make any difference if they said anything else. People aren't posting looking for info, they're trying to sway opinions. People were making a lot of money from D3 and would love to have that back. Here's what I consider the ultimate BoA thread, with a blue post explaining their position. The whole community got together and tried to come up with something better, considering Blizzard's goals.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11224842889?page=9#173

(edit: added more info)

There are some big problems with clan trade (or friends list trade), even if they used timestamps to limit it to people who were on the lists at the time the items dropped.
- people would sell membership to "bot clans", hiring 100 or so bots to farm for you and give the client anything good
- something good drops. 50 people want it. How do you decide who gets it? "Hey, I'll paypal you 10 bucks".
- pressure to fill up clans with randoms to maximize the trade opportunities
- ignoring the third party stuff, increasing distribution from 4 max to 150 max means people are going to be gearing up and exhausting the content a lot more quickly, and they would need to lower the drop rates to compensate.

People raise these problems with the idea all the time. It just gets ignored and people make a few dozen new threads about it every day because they want people to be exposed to the ideas in an undisputed state.

I can see and understand why it's BoA or wide-open and I fully support that decision.

They kill their own game's longevity by allowing people to circumvent the farming to get better gear. It is LITERALLY the same thing or worse than AH... it's worse because it becomes an exclusive right to be better rather than earned. As opposed to giving anyone the same chance.

Mugaaz

Does anyone else think the legendaries being BOA was just a temporary system until the AH fully shut down? So that people didn't flood the market with all the new items?

I don't want BoA removed. These games are just better when you have to find your own shit. Its nice when you inspect some guy's gear and go 'Man that guy has found some good shit", and not "lol @ this guys credit card", or "must be nice to have a lot of clan mates".

Blizzard can do whatever they like, obviously. I would prefer it stay exactly how it is. I think 95% of the reason people complaining now about BoA is there is no blood shard system yet.

j-wood

I don't want BoA removed. These games are just better when you have to find your own shit. Its nice when you inspect some guy's gear and go 'Man that guy has found some good shit", and not "lol @ this guys credit card", or "must be nice to have a lot of clan mates".

Blizzard can do whatever they like, obviously. I would prefer it stay exactly how it is. I think 95% of the reason people complaining now about BoA is there is no blood shard system yet.

I agree with some of that, however, at the very least, I would like to be able to permanently trade with friends.

I have a core group of friends that I play with. Sometimes, we aren't online at the same time. We all have a main class we play. So if I get some awesome weapon for a monk and want to give it to my friend? I can't, and that sucks.

jkanownik

I can see and understand why it's BoA or wide-open and I fully support that decision.

They kill their own game's longevity by allowing people to circumvent the farming to get better gear. It is LITERALLY the same thing or worse than AH... it's worse because it becomes an exclusive right to be better rather than earned. As opposed to giving anyone the same chance.

There is another alternative. They could add a primary stat option that would unbind items. That would mean the best items would still be BOA, but it would allow people a much easier path to get specific items if they really wanted them.

The minute a BOA is removed is the minute a new economy will emerge, problem is, these economy prices are made up from influential farmers and their "out of their asses" made up prices.

I've seen it on TF2, some things are worth more than other things "just because" for example someone will start trading his Blackthorne's Surcoat for 2 Inna's Chest, why? because he really doesn't need the Inna's but he thinks his shit is golden and your shit is shit. Then people will start asking for 2 Inna's chests for their Blackthorne's Surcoat and that how this fake economies go ass-backwards in days.

Dammed if you do Dammed if you don't, it's not an easy problem to fix.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Every 5 pages of this thread has had an Account Bound discussion I think.

ferr

The minute a BOA is removed is the minute a new economy will emerge, problem is, these economy prices are made up from influential farmers and their "out of their asses" made up prices.

I've seen it on TF2, some things are worth more than other things "just because" for example someone will start trading his Blackthorne's Surcoat for 2 Inna's Chest, why? because he really doesn't need the Inna's but he thinks his shit is golden and your shit is shit. Then people will start asking for 2 Inna's chests for their Blackthorne's Surcoat and that how this fake economies go ass-backwards in days.

Dammed if you do Dammed if you don't, it's not an easy problem to fix.

I'll be honest, I enjoyed trading in D2 and I enjoyed the AH in D3 to an extent, though RMAH was awful imo but I think I'd be preaching to the choir if I went on about that. I am also OK with the current state of BOA in D3 2.0 because it encourages you to play the game.

People who are used to trading for and buying their gear are going to whine. I want a kridershot! I want an SOJ! Blizzard's current answer is "PLAY THE GAME". And that's it. Instead of spending an hour searching the ebay simulator of an AH, or trading off random equipment, or being given items from generous clanmates, you have to actually play the game to get items.

Any other trading option mentioned eliminates the need to play the game.

j-wood

Again, to everyone saying "fuck trading, find your own stuff", it's not that I'm wanting to sit in a trade channel looking for gear, because I don't.

But in this day and age, it's difficult to get all my friends online at the same time, so if someone can't make it, it really sucks that I can't give them a cool item i found.

Granadier

Just have patience and wait until the dust settles after RoS release before you starting bringing out the pitchforks and demanding changes.

Fularu

Banned
BoA topic again? People need to get over it.

Who's going to reset their quest so that all your guarenteed legendaries will be 70?

ferr

Again, to everyone saying "fuck trading, find your own stuff", it's not that I'm wanting to sit in a trade channel looking for gear, because I don't.

But in this day and age, it's difficult to get all my friends online at the same time, so if someone can't make it, it really sucks that I can't give them a cool item i found.

I wonder if a solution for that might involve- *You just picked this legendary up. For the next 2 hours you have the opportunity to send it to a person on your current friend list* caveat being that the friend list must remain constant from the time of that message and friend list max must be made to prevent everyone friending everyone in some sort of quasi item acquisition economy.

Instro

I agree with some of that, however, at the very least, I would like to be able to permanently trade with friends.

I have a core group of friends that I play with. Sometimes, we aren't online at the same time. We all have a main class we play. So if I get some awesome weapon for a monk and want to give it to my friend? I can't, and that sucks.

How would a great monk weapon drop for you if you are not playing a monk? Smartdrops and loot 2.0 make it very unlikely that you will get stuff that is legitimately good for a class you are not currently playing. Trading is nearly obsolete in this current system unless its trading between classes of the same type.

XShagrath

I'll chime on the BoA discussion as well. With the addition of clans, you can almost always be playing with someone that's not a complete "random." In just about every game I'm in, I'll offer up my legendaries before they get salvaged. There have been a few instances where I've actually given upgrades to people. That shit feels good, man.

I really wasn't a fan of the AH, but did use it out of what I felt was necessity to play at the higher levels. The only reason I'll miss it is not being able to sell my gems/crafting materials all the time.

Granadier

They already did. It wouldn't make any difference if they said anything else. People aren't posting looking for info, they're trying to sway opinions. People were making a lot of money from D3 and would love to have that back. Here's what I consider the ultimate BoA thread, with a blue post explaining their position. The whole community got together and tried to come up with something better, considering Blizzard's goals.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11224842889?page=9#173

(edit: added more info)

There are some big problems with clan trade (or friends list trade), even if they used timestamps to limit it to people who were on the lists at the time the items dropped.
- people would sell membership to "bot clans", hiring 100 or so bots to farm for you and give the client anything good
- something good drops. 50 people want it. How do you decide who gets it? "Hey, I'll paypal you 10 bucks".
- pressure to fill up clans with randoms to maximize the trade opportunities
- ignoring the third party stuff, increasing distribution from 4 max to 150 max means people are going to be gearing up and exhausting the content a lot more quickly, and they would need to lower the drop rates to compensate.

People raise these problems with the idea all the time. It just gets ignored and people make a few dozen new threads about it every day because they want people to be exposed to the ideas in an undisputed state.

Well said.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

The devs have said they're happy with BoA and it won't be going anywhere. They're deleting threads because at this point it's just spam.

Robin64

Oh yeeeah.

Heads up! Players who pick up a copy of Diablo III: Reaper of Souls will soon discover bonus loot in the form of an Expert Card Pack (or Packs!) for Hearthstone™: Heroes of Warcraft™. Depending on the version of Reaper of Souls you have pre-purchased (or purchase in the future) you can expect the following:

Reaper of Souls: Digital Standard Edition – One (1) Hearthstone Expert Card Pack, delivered to your Battle.net account starting March 20.
Reaper of Souls: Retail Standard Edition – One (1) Free Hearthstone Expert Card Pack, available in your Reaper of Souls box as a redeemable code.
Reaper of Souls: Digital Deluxe Edition – Three (3) Hearthstone Expert Card Packs, delivered to your Battle.net account starting March 20.
Reaper of Souls: Retail Collector's Edition – Three (3) Hearthstone Expert Card Packs, available in your Collector’s Edition box as three separate redeemable codes.

th3dude

My thought, as a very casual player, is that I like the new BoA system.

Any type of 'limited' trading system (ie friends/clans) can and will be abused. Sure, I wish I could trade with my actual in game friends, but there is no way to make sure that it isn't abused.

Trading with coop partners is a decent compromise and is certainly better than nothing. Won't help if you and your friends like to solo farm.

Overall, I love the new system because I feel like I'm making my own progress, not buying it, even if it is slow.

See you all in RoS!

Oh yeeeah.

As a Hearthstone player who has yet to preorder RoS, HYPE!

How about allowing trade to "RealID" friends only? I absolutely hate this system and seeing my friends and family member's full names onscreen really annoys me to no end (and knowing they see mine) but this really seems like the tightest they can allow trading without blowing it open.

Just my 2 cents (though clan trading to some extent would be great).

Not a terrible idea, but still easily abuse-able. I like the thought a lot, though.

kagete

How about allowing trade to "RealID" friends only? I absolutely hate this system and seeing my friends and family member's full names onscreen really annoys me to no end (and knowing they see mine) but this really seems like the tightest they can allow trading without blowing it open.

Just my 2 cents (though clan trading to some extent would be great).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH!

OH MY GOD

Boogdud

They should make a single-use 'seal' or some other in-game mechanic that can make an item non-boa.

Then make that seal an extremely rare grind with multiple requirements. Make it painful as hell.

My thoughts on returning to the game: Ah, it's good to work again.

My thoughts on Loot 2.0: Pick it up, pick it up.

My thoughts on the Crusader: Hammer, hammer, hammer, hammer, hammer, hammer, hammer, hammer, hammer, hammer, hammer, hammer, SHIELD SMASH SHIELD SMASH.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
BoA topic again? People need to get over it.

Who's going to reset their quest so that all your guarenteed legendaries will be 70?

That won't work. The guaranteed legendaries for story mode bosses only happen for characters level 59 and under. However, it sounds like they're doing to make Malthael have a guaranteed first kill legendary up to level 70. (requires quest reset after that)

Oh yeeeah.

Woo, free stuff!

So I'm guessing reviews don't hit until after servers go live next week? Not that I need reviews anyway but will be interesting to see what they say with all the changes.

j-wood

How would a great monk weapon drop for you if you are not playing a monk? Smartdrops and loot 2.0 make it very unlikely that you will get stuff that is legitimately good for a class you are not currently playing. Trading is nearly obsolete in this current system unless its trading between classes of the same type.

Well...that's exactly the point. My friends and I have a character of every class basically. If i get a legendary source that isn't better than what I have for my wizard, why can't I give that to my friend who also has a wizard, has a terrible source, but just happens to not be online when I found what I found?

That's my gripe with this system.

Mugaaz

So I'm guessing reviews don't hit until after servers go live next week? Not that I need reviews anyway but will be interesting to see what they say with all the changes.

Dont see how anyone could review it without playing it, you can read some beta reviews if you want a glimpse into the changes.

They should make a single-use 'seal' or some other in-game mechanic that can make an item non-boa.

Then make that seal an extremely rare grind with multiple requirements. Make it painful as hell.

Perhaps so. A few more hoops to jump through to trade something might address the concern. Either way, the game currently rewards for playing it...and I think that's a good thing. Any additional changes need to work such that it doesn't fuck up what they've gotten right to this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom