• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thunderfury does not show itself to those who actively seek it's power. It only reveals itself to those who are in need of it's power but do not actively seek it.

So Is The Way.

Pretty much this. Was playing with a friend over the weekend. Told him he needed a TF or SoH because the procs on those are stupid amazing. Hes like whaaa? What are those? Literally 30 seconds later, a TF dropped, either from the goblin room, rift boss, or elite pack. Were not sure cause it all happened so quick. Pack + golbins, then rift guardian all in a small room.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I saw an interesting thread on the DH forums.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12504560764

Those looking for a Cindercoat should do their gambling on a monk because it rules out the chance of getting DH cloaks. (monk needs to be level 70 of course)

There might be other applications of the same idea as well. Maybe gambling for amulets as a wizard increases chances of moonlight ward? There are other legendaries like the Tall Man's Finger (ring) which are class-tuned even though they're on common item types.

For what it's worth, I've never got anything useful from Kadala, and I think I've spent over 1000 shards easy. I just don't really go in expecting anything and that's fine. Not complaining, because I've got plenty of upgrades otherwise, but yeah, I find her the least appealing part of RoS.

Maybe she gives you stuff based on what you've found recently, perhaps.

I've spent probably 500 shards and have gotten 3 or 4 legendaries out of it. Not bad but obviously YMMV when it comes to the RNG.

JCizzle

Legendaries that increase your DPS by 3x are about the lithat of what I can handle. Of course SoH in some builds does way more than that even so it's clearly ahead of the pack.

They should definitely be buffing some of the crappier Legendaries though but there has to be some limit to how good a Legendary can be. Otherwise we are just reaching into joke of a game territory where the difference between T1 and T6 is one item.

Agree on all counts , especially buffing. Nothing worse than picking up an orange and seeing the icon that is associated with an item you know is just a glorified yellow.

Had a pretty bananas rift where I got 5 legs including set barbarian boots and a bow that looks suspiciously close to the Kridershot on my DH earlier. Also managed to get a Danetta's bow a couple runs later which is sort of a sidegrade. Diablo wants me playing my DH, my Monk doesn't get shit

What else should I be doing with my DH? Trifecta Magefist would be nice as well as a level 70 Cindercoat with 3 sockets. Other than that I dunno

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/toastyToast-6810/hero/8039314

scy

Those looking for a Cindercoat should do their gambling on a monk because it rules out the chance of getting DH cloaks. (monk needs to be level 70 of course)

Likewise, Andariel's on a DH instead of a Monk to remove the Spirit Stones from the table. Barbs after a Thundergod's should probably gamble via a Crusader to remove the Mighty Belts. Basically, if your class has a slot that double the item pool, you probably want to gamble on the other main stat character to increase your odds :x

I've spent probably 500 shards and have gotten 3 or 4 legendaries out of it. Not bad but obviously YMMV when it comes to the RNG.

I expect around ~1 Legendary per 100 items purchased since the hotfix. Sample size is small (~10,000 shards since the hotfix?) but eh, I'm trying to keep an eye on it.

Granted, I'm now at like 1500 shards on gloves with no Legs there and my last batch of 500 got me 4 Sources so it feels just as streaky as leg drops at times.

shiv_

So does everyone except me have a Shard of Hate? :(

Not this guy :).

I did pick up this the other day: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/stalgards-decimator

I think it's not great, esp since it's 2H. But the proc on it is really good. My sheet DPS is really not very impressive, but I've tweaked my barb to use frenzy with sidearm keeping up max fury. Sort of boring to play, but it seems to do pretty well for an under geared dude like myself.

In fact, when I pop all my cooldowns in a group, I get around 1 million DPS (up from like 300K). Little piercing axes flying all over the place.

Anyone else put together any interesting builds with stalgards?

bigb0ss

Banned
So can someone tell me which build/gear I should be aiming for as a crusader? My goal is to be able to solo rifts and quests quickly.

You reach a point where the only means of any significant progression are a handful of legendary/set items that, even if you ever see them, would probably have to roll fairly well for them to be an actual upgrade. I'm nearing that point myself, but I switched my build around and think I have a little further I can take my character, but once I hit that point definitively, it's probably be time to walk away for a while (maybe until the next expansion when lvl 80 items show up and make everything we're using now into junk).

I feel like I could EASILY see upgrades that give me a ton of incentive to keep playing but it's just not happening. I feel like I have some of the worst luck. Most of my items are pretty standard items which don't have any real excitement around them. The only really nice item I have is a Mirrorball. My thunderfury is nice but the dmg roll is pretty low. I found a legendary wand that beats the DPS by 8%, but it has no special effects (i hate boring legendaries) so I don't use it.

Over the weekend, I just wanted 1 of anything from this list that I haven't seen since the start of RoS:

Ice Climbers
Moonlight Ward (would probably have bad rolls anyway)
Countess Julia's Cameo (would probably have bad rolls anyway)
Magefists or Cindercoat (I'd have no problem switching to fire if one of these dropped)
Another Firebird's set piece (I have the pants but am waiting on another piece to use them)
2 more Tal's set pieces (I have the armor but it's worse than my Blackthorne's - would use for the 3 piece bonus)
Witching Hour
Andarial's Visage
Shard of Hate (just to try it. haven't seen one yet...)

Not one of them dropped. I hardly have any elemental dmg because pieces that come with it just aren't dropping. I spent about 250-300 rift keys over the weekend. That's a TON of rifts. All of them torment 2. I salvaged every single legendary. I get so many 2 handed weapons, crappy rings, or items for other classes. I lost track of how many shards I spent on boots but all I got were the crap items. I've seen a few people mention it, but it definitely seems like the "increased drop rate" of rifts isn't having an effect. If anything, it's worse because I'm expecting more drops but I just don't see them. And when I do, they suck.

The game is fun and I really do want to play it, but I need some kind of measure of progress. Maybe the items I want are more rare, but it sucks seeing people finding them left and right like they're fairly common. I feel like I could play for another month and not see any of the above. It's just demoralizing to the point where I kinda want to not play anymore. I'd gladly take on the risk of playing at a higher torment level if it meant I'd have a better shot at more rare legendaries. But the only difference in the real would would be slower rifts, more deaths, and the same crappy drops.

Oh, and I saved up for a long time to get that many rift keys. I probably opened 40-50 bounty bags and only found 1 legendary (garbage pants). I don't even look forward to them anymore and just open them for the keys.

I know that if I were to play tonight, I'd have to do bounties again because I'm out of keys. So I wouldn't make any progress for a while until I saved up enough keys to rift binge again. Probably not until the weekend. I just don't have the motivation to do that.

Tom Penny

I've been stashing stuff for a lightning monk that I acquire with my fire monk. I'm close to swapping and testing. I think I have 90 to lightning stashed away including a WKL / fulminator / SOJ / thunder god belt ... If I can find a decent ammy I may try.

Have you tried maximus build yet? I hear the follower melts things. I think I had that and another good legend and salvaged them. Should always look them up lol.I got my monk to 70% without Won Him but the helm didn't have a socket. The 20% lighting wasn't really worth 100k hit points to me.

It crazy to me that playing my monk with a Barb 20 m toughness and 2800 all resists and 20% reduced damage from elites was still not remotely comfortable on T5.

Totakeke

Today was a good day. Went into one T1 rift and got 4 legendaries, one of them being Helm of Akkhan (first set of mobs), then later I got Thundergod's Vigor which only goes so well with Schaefer's.

Right now I'm using 3pc Akkhan, 2pc Captain Crimson, Thundergod Vigor, Reaper's Wraps, Royal Ring of Grandeur, rare Amulet and Ring, Coven's Criterion, and Schafer's Hammer. Only odd thing out was Aughild's chest. Trying to figure out what to do with that spot which was supposed to be a 3 set bonus until I got Akkhan. 4 set bonus from Akkhan is great. Because you can attack a lot more, you get to trigger rally a lot more too.

Pretty happy with my items now, though I'm still only 450k sheet dps and 4 mil toughness, with 40% CDR. Just a lot of rerolling and recrafting to do. :p

Mugaaz

All the SoH nerf talk to me doesn't quite add up. There's basically 4 things going on as far as I see it:

Yes, it's more powerful than any other weapon, IF you use cold or lightning as a main skill.
Yes, it enables builds that can't exist without it.
No, it doesn't seem to eliminate other viable builds using fire/arcane/etc. However, those builds need more than 1 item to work, unlike SoH which needs SoH and then other stuff to make it better.
No, the item is not bugged. SoH works exactly as it was designed to.

It's pretty simple. If you're only going to have fun if you get a specific handful of legendaries, then most of your play sessions will not be fun. That's all there is to it. Honestly, I'd recommend anyone nearly at the "soft-cap" for gearing to try the other class of the same mainstat. A lot of the super rare stuff can still be found on them and be just as useful, and you can find a bunch of cool stuff for them in the meantime. If youre only going to be happy finding set pieces, SoH, and TF.....well Diablo 3 is not going to be very fun.

Have you tried maximus build yet? I hear the follower melts things. I think I had that and another good legend and salvaged them. Should always look them up lol.I got my monk to 70% without Won Him but the helm didn't have a socket. The 20% lighting wasn't really worth 100k hit points to me.

It crazy to me that playing my monk with a Barb 20 m toughness and 2800 all resists and 20% reduced damage from elites was still not remotely comfortable on T5.

I have one on a TR build. The fire chain hits hard and fast. When it is up (pretty often) I find myself trying hard to keep it on elites while I hit them just enough to keep my SW up (fire damage).

potam

Banned
How useful are the followers/companions? I've never used them before, but I was watching some videos yesterday where the people were using them. Are there any downsides for having them?

It's pretty simple. If you're only going to have fun if you get a specific handful of legendaries, then most of your play sessions will not be fun. That's all there is to it. Honestly, I'd recommend anyone nearly at the "soft-cap" for gearing to try the other class of the same mainstat. A lot of the super rare stuff can still be found on them and be just as useful, and you can find a bunch of cool stuff for them in the meantime. If youre only going to be happy finding set pieces, SoH, and TF.....well Diablo 3 is not going to be very fun.

Diablo 3 is fun for the loot and combat. I need both to happen. But my wizard hasn't changed in a week or so. I crafted a few set pieces for the bonus but it's really just a boost in toughness. I still can't go higher in torment levels.

The killer is not seeing a single item in over a week that I want. Given how much I play, I figured I'd see at least 1. But Blizzard knows what I want and are doing their best not to give them to me.

I have a level 60 monk and demon hunter ready to go... but they don't have any gear. It would probably be pretty easy to get some though. Maybe I'll try my monk some more. I'm way out of the loop on monk play though.

ferr

There might be other applications of the same idea as well. Maybe gambling for amulets as a wizard increases chances of moonlight ward? There are other legendaries like the Tall Man's Finger (ring) which are class-tuned even though they're on common item types.

Problem is you could get monk skill properties doing this. Probably still a good idea given the odds aren't super high you'd roll a monk skill, and you could still possibly re-roll it and come out with a decent cindercoat.

bcl0328

How useful are the followers/companions? I've never used them before, but I was watching some videos yesterday where the people were using them. Are there any downsides for having them?

why wouldn't you use them? they are free dps/heals/cc. my enchantress has maximus so she has a chance to summon a demon who will also off-tank and do damage. and i have the legendary follower item that gives her access to all skills. she does more dmg/cc than most party members. they are great.

Problem is you could get monk skill properties doing this. Probably still a good idea given the odds aren't super high you'd roll a monk skill, and you could still possibly re-roll it and come out with a decent cindercoat.

on a cindercoat? pretty sure they only roll certain stats and i've never seen skill properties on them.

DSmalls84

Trading really needs to be worked back into the game. There were some items in D2 that I never found at all, but it was fine because I did find some good items that I could trade for them. The problem with D3 in it's current state is that you get to a point and feel stuck, with not many alternative ways to find gear. Kadala is fine but the odds of finding the exact item you need for most builds is slim. At least with the mystic though you can reroll rare items if they don't come with some of the stats you desire. Regardless, without trading I can see a lot of people losing long term interest in playing this. Once the upgrades stop coming you get bored and roll another class or quit.

potam

Banned
why wouldn't you use them? they are free dps/heals/cc. my enchantress has maximus so she has a chance to summon a demon who will also off-tank and do damage. and i have the legendary follower item that gives her access to all skills. she does more dmg/cc than most party members. they are great.

Because, generally speaking, in most games companion characters are essentially useless. I always figured they wouldn't add much to my dps, and I wasn't sure what would happen if they died. I've only been playing for a couple of days :(

mileS

w
on a cindercoat? pretty sure they only roll certain stats and i've never seen skill properties on them.

They can. But most of the time IF they do, its in replace of sockets, so there might as well not be any on there because 90% of the time thats the one thing you are going to reroll off to get sockets.

Instro

Because, generally speaking, in most games companion characters are essentially useless. I always figured they wouldn't add much to my dps, and I wasn't sure what would happen if they died. I've only been playing for a couple of days :(
Use them. At worst they can tank a bit for you, nothing happens if they die, they just recover after like a minute.

cdyhybrid

They just go inactive for a short bit and then pop right back up at full health. Use them! I've used the Templar and the Enchantress so far, I find the Ench to be quite helpful at times.

Guys hold my hands... never gone this high trying to enchant something before. Went from 50+ souls to 0 and now thinking I should just take the vitality instead of trying for crit :(

yAGbx0z.jpg

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

There's no downside to using them. They come with an assortment of useful abilities and in RoS they can contribute a respectable amount of damage thanks to the much higher primary affix rolls (which they get something like 5x benefit from). My demon hunter isn't geared up yet and the templar deals nearly as much damage.

The Asheara's 4 set summons the three followers, even in a group game, with all their gear and abilities. I've been thinking about using that with some cooldown reduction to help with the uptime - about 50% should do it. There are also legendary follower items that make them invincible or enable all their skills at once.

Guys hold my hands... never gone this high trying to enchant something before. Went from 50+ souls to 0 and now thinking I should just take the vitality instead of trying for crit :(

yAGbx0z.jpg

Seems like the kinda luck I have. At least you have a metric fuck ton of gold (most I've had is around 25m).

Crit rate is so important to me on a helmet. But I'd switch to fire if I dropped a helm like that. Sigh....

Vossler

Got both my Wiz and Crusader to 70 this weekend after being frustrated at the lack of DH upgrades I've been receiving. Both got some decent drops, Wizard getting two pieces of the Firebird set, as well as Maximus and the Sultan of Blinding Sand. Gave the Maximus to my crusader, need to get a build going around it. Crusader got the shield the glare blind all enemies, as well as the items ignore damage shoulders. Gotta say, loving my wiz now and may become my main here shortly...

garath

RNG going to RNG. Just finished my 10th rift on my DH with no legendaries and no forgotten souls.

Every single blood shard spent on chests trying for a cindercoat with nothing as well.

Wheee. On the flip side, my crusader gets stuff all the time. It's almost like the game wants you to abandon your most played character and branch out.

edit: I'm halfway tempted to level a completely new DH and use my existing's gear just to test this theory.

mileS

Can someone try their best to explain to me why people watch KingKongor's stream? why people throw money at that dude? I'm lost

I heard about him a year ago, went to his stream to see his insanely geared barb. He was inviting subs to his party to look at their gear for 2min, and basically say you need more crit, or more crit hit dmg, and ask for at least 10mil+ in gold for his 2minutes of time. Time with people that PAY HIM already to sub to his shit stream.

Friend was telling me the other day he had a meltdown with people that play softcore. Calling people "softcore losers" and banning anyone that admits they play it. Apparently he was even banning people that sub to his channel.

Just curious why people watch this trash.

I was in a group and Thunderfury dropped for a crusader. He didn't need it and kindly offered it to the group. I was the only person who didn't have it so I got it. Got a great roll on it too. I don't have to enchant it and can use just enchant the Int to something else when switching it between characters. Now to find some Tal's...

cdyhybrid

yAGbx0z.jpg

You're going to flush all that down the drain? You have to go all the way if you've gone this far. That way you can finally give the RNG the big middle finger when you actually get it.

What does the * mean for the enchanting materials listed?

I assume it means he has too many for the number to fit in the space provided (probably 4 digits+).

Seems like the kinda luck I have. At least you have a metric fuck ton of gold (most I've had is around 25m).

Crit rate is so important to me on a helmet. But I'd switch to fire if I dropped a helm like that. Sigh....

You're going to flush all that down the drain? You have to go all the way if you've gone this far. That way you can finally give the RNG the big middle finger when you actually get it.

I tried a couple more times it's at 2m+ now. I don't know, since there's no cap and at the rate the price is increasing if I fail like 20-30 more times I'll probably be broke.

Discobird

I gambled a Cindercoat on my lvl 70 monk and got a monk skill bonus which I rerolled to 3 sockets for my DH. I leveled him to 70 for the express purpose of gambling Cindercoat and have played maybe 20 minutes on my monk since, haha.

I got lucky and gambled the Cindercoat after maybe 200 attempts (half on the DH and half on the monk). This was before any of the Kadala buffs.

garath

I tried a couple more times it's at 2m+ now. I don't know, since there's no cap and at the rate the price is increasing if I fail like 20-30 more times I'll probably be broke.

Honestly, I'd give up and keep the vit for now. Another one will drop eventually. Not worth going broke for a single stat line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom