• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valid points.

My thought is that I wish the gear dropped more frequently across all levels, but was increasingly stronger in each difficulty. Like a TF you find in T1 is x% weaker than one you'd find in T3. That way people are getting stuff more frequently and there is a clear path of progression as you tackle harder content.

Yea thats how it was in D3 at release and there is a reason it was changed. It just creates gear checks.

JCizzle

I spent the better part of yesterday farming Act 1 bags. Opened 25-30.

I finally got the fucking ring. But the roll is so bad I am almost embarassed to show it LOL

I ran out of souls trying to re roll, so it can only get better. Now I just need to figure out which second set I should use. Leaning towards Born's Frozen Soul and Born's Privledge .

huYllye.png

Meh, it could be worse. At least I actually found it.

Heh, better than mine. I have Dex and life on hit... as a Barb, so I'll only be able to roll out of one. Sigh.

codecow

Gah. 12 rifts worth of shards and another Blackthorne's coat and crap legendary chest. Cindercoat why doth thou forsake me?!

I got an Andariel's Visage but it rolled lightning and no socket, BLAH...

codecow

Decided to switch to normal for those A1 bounty bags.

How stupid is it that I can get better drops from playing on the lowest difficulty in the game rather than on T3? Excluding the torment only items of course.

Over the course of an hour I think I got 5 leg/set plans and a handful of legendaries, compared to no plans and maybe 1-2 legendaries when I was doing it on T3.

Doesn't exactly encourage growing your character when the best way to get drops is to roll lower difficulties.

Interesting, I find the limiting factor for me in bounties in T1 is run speed, not killing stuff. T1 is just as fast as normal for the most part.

j-wood

Would be really easy to get geared then. With just the gear in my stack I can make 2 other Monk players T3 viable in an instant and I am sure other people have even better stuff lying dormant in their stashes.

Then the complaints would shift from "I can't find this specific Legendary" to "I don't have anything left to do anymore" or "what's the point of playing if someone can just give me stuff and deck me out?"

Personally, I think this is flawed logic and I hope it's not the line of thinking the D3 devs have.

Did that stop people from playing D2? Did people complaining about not having anything to do in D2? No, there are still people that play D2.

JCizzle

Yea thats how it was in D3 at release and there is a reason it was changed. It just creates gear checks.

One difference being that legendaries never dropped at release. There are still gear checks now to progress up a difficulty, so I'm not sure what the difference would be aside from harder content being more rewarding than it currently is. E.g. I still need X DPS and Y toughness to comfortably do T3,the values are still there that you need to hit.

Gah. 12 rifts worth of shards and another Blackthorne's coat and crap legendary chest. Cindercoat why doth thou forsake me?!

I got an Andariel's Visage but it rolled lightning and no socket, BLAH...

If you're trying for a cindercoat as a dh I heard(keyword) you can have better luck getting one as a monk since you don't get a cloak

Also, someone was saying last page, they seemed to be getting more legendarys doing normal bounties than doing rifts. I can say, at least yesterday, that this was the case for me. I found about 5-7 legendarys, most of them from chests, doing normal bounty runs. A few dropped from boss bounties. Last night I did 4 or 5 rifts, some on T2 some on T3, and only found a total of 2 legendarys. I dunno.

One difference being that legendaries never dropped at release. There are still gear checks now to progress up a difficulty, so I'm not sure what the difference would be aside from harder content being more rewarding than it currently is.

A lot of people don't really care about going up to torment 6 but like finding gear, if they knew all the best gear was behind a gate they would never reach they would wind up all leaving again.

JCizzle

A lot of people don't really care about going up to torment 6 but like finding gear, if they knew all the best gear was behind a gate they would never reach they would wind up all leaving again.

People get equally frustrated by not seeing a set piece or good piece of exciting gear after 20 hours too, which has the same effect.

Zemm

Personally, I think this is flawed logic and I hope it's not the line of thinking the D3 devs have.

Did that stop people from playing D2? Did people complaining about not having anything to do in D2? No, there are still people that play D2.

Agreed, plus if people really feel that way they can go play ladders soon. Personally I'm at the point where I'm hoping for very specific drops, magefist, cindercoat, or frostburn etc, so there's very little reason for me to log on anyway, if I could trade those for my "normal" character then go play ladders that would be cool, would always have my "normal" character if I just want to fuck stuff up for some reason. If people just want to trade for the best gear and farm on non ladder characters then who cares? It's pretty obvious at this point that Blizzard are going to use the ladders for longevity so opening up trading with clans/friends list for normal characters seems fine to me. They should wait until they release ladders to do it though.

TheYanger

People get equally frustrated by not seeing a set piece or good piece of exciting gear after 20 hours too, which has the same effect.

No, because you CAN get that gear. If you just turned the game on and got everything you wanted immediately, you'd quit. I agree the game needs SOME kind of trading because it's frustrating not being able to affect your odds at all, but it's not like every joe shmo in D2 had an Eth BotD or Enigma for a long time. These games are ABOUT the loot journey. I highly suspect that most people that bitch that they haven't gotten one of the absolute top tier broken uber drops, also have passed up a lot of interesting other build options they could've had. LOTS of the non-SoH/TF legendaries are very very strong and I think people aren't even giving them a chance. Let alone the crafted sets. You can easily get to a mid torment level with those, and with solid group play do T6 if you want to. If you want to farm loot in those levels, T1 or T2 is absolutely better than normal (Takes just as long to one shot things in T1 as it does in T -4 aka normal, and you have the chances of the cool torment only items).

I mean, you only have to effectively farm like 30% slower than normal to break even in T1. That's trivial.

Please understand, D2 is a well-designed game.

jk but only to a point

I do kind of agree with the sentiment that higher Torment levels should drop slightly better gear, but it needs to be only to the point where it's relevant for min-maxing.

Shifty76

Interesting, I find the limiting factor for me in bounties in T1 is run speed, not killing stuff. T1 is just as fast as normal for the most part.

I can't 1-shot elites on T1 yet so am doing normal. Maybe if I switched to SSS I could 1-shot them though...will have to test.

In terms of move speed I already have 34% + MoC Annihilation + Dashing Strike with the ms rune, so move speed isn't an issue.

ZenaxPure

Is there a viable barb build that focuses on Cold dmg? Would be fun to do a SOH/Azurewrath build instead of the more typical lightning WW build.

Between SS, HotA, avalanche, and earthquake there are enough ice attacks to probably make something work. It's not going to be as broken as SoH WW, but, that doesn't mean it won't be viable. I am still rocking my fire HoTA/OP build and I can now do T4 np (unless I walk into a blood marsh rift and 3 elite packs bum rush me), if I can replace a few more of my poorly rolled pieces I should be able to do T5 SoH WW free. I have to imagine a similar frost build where you replaced OP with avalanche would be fine if you had the gear for it (as you'd basically be trading the insane damage of fire runes for more crowd control which has a lot of benefits).

That's also not including stuff like the earthquake set/leap boots (which I assume you probably don't have) which would make a frost build really god damn strong since you would have a 10 second cooldown for 3 frost quakes which have a 100% chance to freeze (not to mention there is a leap rune that pulls everyone to you).

The more I play the worse the new 4/2 system feels. Talk about homogeneity. This is kindergarten shit. We've already got stats that we need for the item to even be functional then you've got a couple slots remaining and we all know exactly what those are gonna be.

Items need to have basic stuff like main stat built in. Crit damage needs to be heavily neutered. You've got a stat that can make 1 in 2 attacks do 6 times the normal damage. Why would you not completely invest in something like that? The fallout is just stupid numbers everywhere. Imagine T6 health numbers of crit damage capped at 250%? Numbers are just stupid at the moment.

I don't know if I can just blame the old directing behind the game with 4/2 being a new addition. And supposedly the loot is fixed.

TheYanger

Every barb element is viable. Shard of Hate frost builds do a ton of single target at that. You don't see people doing them because lightning/WW is literally broken, that's all. I was fire built until I got the shard and it was fantastic, frost isnt' really any different (There are less options but the ones that are there are fine).

The more I play the worse the new 4/2 system feels. Talk about homogeneity. This is kindergarten shit. We've already got stats that we need for the item to even be functional then you've got a couple slots remaining and we all know exactly what those are gonna be.

Items need to have basic stuff like main stat built in. Crit damage needs to be heavily neutered. You've got a stat that can make 1 in 2 attacks do 6 times the normal damage. Why would you not completely invest in something like that? The fallout is just stupid numbers everywhere. Imagine T6 health numbers of crit damage capped at 250%? Numbers are just stupid at the moment.

I don't know if I can just blame the old directing behind the game with 4/2 being a new addition. And supposedly the loot is fixed.

Those offensive stats become less and less valuable the more you stack any single one, and they come with a very real survivability cost. If you actually go with your 'ideal' gear in each slot the way you're describing it, you're just going to get one shot by the first thunderstorm mob you find in T6.

The level of offense you need to reasonably clear T6 is vastly lower than it was pre-2.0 (MP10 inferno that is obviously), and the level of defense that you need to survive is vastly higher. That gives you a lot more granularity with gearing.

Why not just reroll one of the SoJs you did get?
It's impossible for it to have any other stat that is stronger than the fire damage anyway
IE: A fire (rerolled), primary stat, useless primary stat, elite damage SoJ is still a bis ring, even if it would obviously be BETTER with primary fire CD Elite damage or something.

It's what I did with my 60 SoJ and what I've done with my 70 one thusfar. Better to have 1 SoJ you can always use and then EVENTUALLY get one with two good filler stats to reroll with forever.

The one I have saved is for a ton of lightning gear I have saved. I want to swap builds. The two I savaged were holy and physical. It's probably still a gain over all, but I'm weird and don't want to settle. It will come. Just like that fucking ring of grandure.

On a side note, my crippling wave crits are in the 6 million range. Mythic rhythm crits on CS are 15 million.

Tom Penny

If they never implemented gold the trade market would create it's own currency based drops you get from farming whether it be materials, gems, trading one weapon for another etc..

I spent the better part of yesterday farming Act 1 bags. Opened 25-30.

I finally got the fucking ring. But the roll is so bad I am almost embarassed to show it LOL

I ran out of souls trying to re roll, so it can only get better. Now I just need to figure out which second set I should use. Leaning towards Born's Frozen Soul and Born's Privledge .

huYllye.png

Meh, it could be worse. At least I actually found it.

That's a rad ring. Roll the CD into CC. The avg damage and IAS make that three damage dealers and a main. Those rolls aren't bad at all

TheYanger

The one I have saved is for a ton of lightning gear I have saved. I want to swap builds. The two I savaged were holy and physical. It's probably still a gain over all, but I'm weird and don't want to settle. It will come. Just like that fucking ring of grandure.

On a side note, my crippling wave crits are in the 6 million range. Mythic rhythm crits on CS are 15 million.

I'm saying instead of salvaging them, just reroll the holy and physical into lightning.

ZenaxPure

Every barb element is viable. Shard of Hate frost builds do a ton of single target at that. You don't see people doing them because lightning/WW is literally broken, that's all. I was fire built until I got the shard and it was fantastic, frost isnt' really any different (There are less options but the ones that are there are fine).

Pfft, barb is clearly not functional without a SoH for lightning WW.

Yeah, it took way to many tries to get that crappy CHD roll. It feels so far away, when I had about 15 forgotten souls the other day. Now I have 1. I need sooooo maaaannny soulllllssss

Wiz-GAF, how are my skills for an arcane wiz? Is arcane a decent spec (I know frost is popular)? I want to check out Black Hole, but are there any other skills I should be checking out?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/prodystopian-1605/hero/46539179

I think chaos nexus is the most fun rune. Just watching it branch out to all the other enemies and seeing them melt is so satisfying.

Arcane dynamo is an amazing passive for disintegrate. I magic missile 5 times, then use disintegrate. The 60% bonus is applied until the channeling stops.

Temporal Flux is also amazing for arcane (80% slow). Torment 3 went from being challenging to pretty easy switching to that passive.

Unwavering Will is pretty much a no-brainer since you're standing still to attack.

I use storm armor \ power of the storm in order to make the arcane cost cheaper so I can channel for much longer. Really only necessary if you're playing in higher torment levels where some monsters take a while to bring down.

I don't use archon though. The cooldown leaves that slot useless most of the time, and I don't want to design a build around cooldown reduction to make it more viable.

I've been thinking about switching to cold just because I'd like to play a build that's more mobile, but I need to get the right gear for it first. For now, this is still fun.

Insaniac

That's a rad ring. Roll the CD into CC. The avg damage and IAS make that three damage dealers and a main. Those rolls aren't bad at all

well, technically depending on his current crit chance / CD one may be better then the other, but either way, Im jelly... still waiting for my Royal Ring :(

Hey Barbs,

Took a break for a few days. Gonna jump back in tonight but I wanted to see if there were any new Barb builds.

I'm currently sitting on (Buffed):
51% Crit Chance
400% Crit DMG
9M Toughness
DW 1 Handers
300K HP
6K LoH
And about 630K Sheet DPS

Was using a HotA Build with Super Saiyan Option for Burst DPS, but I just don't seem very happy with my performance. Do I really need TF or SoH to have a decent performing Barb?

Here is my Dude - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/dubcee-1662/hero/3462194

Are there torment exclusive legendaries? Does game difficulty affect item quality? Ex: weapons dropped in t6 have higher dps than ones dropped in t1?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hey Barbs,

Took a break for a few days. Gonna jump back in tonight but I wanted to see if there were any new Barb builds.

I'm currently sitting on (Buffed):
51% Crit Chance
400% Crit DMG
9M Toughness
DW 1 Handers
300K HP
6K LoH
And about 630K Sheet DPS

Was using a HotA Build with Super Saiyan Option for Burst DPS, but I just don't seem very happy with my performance. Do I really need TF or SoH to have a decent performing Barb?

Here is my Dude - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/dubcee-1662/hero/3462194

Unfortunately, it seems like having devastating proccing effects on weapons/gear is pretty much essential to play a Barbarian past tier 1 or 2.

I think chaos nexus is the most fun rune. Just watching it branch out to all the other enemies and seeing them melt is so satisfying.

Arcane dynamo is an amazing passive for disintegrate. I magic missile 5 times, then use disintegrate. The 60% bonus is applied until the channeling stops.

Temporal Flux is also amazing for arcane (80% slow). Torment 3 went from being challenging to pretty easy switching to that passive.

Unwavering Will is pretty much a no-brainer since you're standing still to attack.

I use storm armor \ power of the storm in order to make the arcane cost cheaper so I can channel for much longer. Really only necessary if you're playing in higher torment levels where some monsters take a while to bring down.

I don't use archon though. The cooldown leaves that slot useless most of the time, and I don't want to design a build around cooldown reduction to make it more viable.

I've been thinking about switching to cold just because I'd like to play a build that's more mobile, but I need to get the right gear for it first. For now, this is still fun.

Thanks, I'll look into those. I didn't think of storm armor because it isn't arcane, haha.

RS4-

Are there torment exclusive legendaries? Does game difficulty affect item quality? Ex: weapons dropped in t6 have higher dps than ones dropped in t1?

There are some class specific leg sets that drop only in torment difficulties. Does not affect the quality, that's all RNG. A TF dropped in normal could be better than the one dropped in T6.

-Are there torment exclusive legendaries?

Yes. The class specific sets only drop in Torment I and above.

-Does game difficulty affect item quality?

Not at all.

Insaniac

can someone clear up how IAS interacts with DPS for me?

This is how I understand it, please correct me if I'm mistaken:

IAS on weapons increases that weapons overall DPS, resulting in a pure DPS boost?

Any other IAS increases sheet DPS, but this is only estimated due to more APS, and not an actual increase in damage.

Thus having more IAS on non-weapon gear is only effective as a DPS increase if you are actually spamming that attack constantly. IE holding your mouse-click down while casting magic missile will result in maximized damage due to attacking at your max APS, while casting frozen orb and then waiting for arcane power to regen does not result in any real significant DPS boost, since the higher APS is negated due to the fact that you must wait for your arcane power regen. (or for another example, kiting a monster with a ranged spell negates the APS boost since you are not attacking at your maximum APS)

IAS increases ticks per second on any channeling spell, and thus increases overall damage on channeling spells (while increasing resource cost)

This is why I hardly ever feel any excitement when I see a legendary drop. Even though they are legendary items, unless they have the "required" stats, they'll still be garbage. Very different from D2. If a unique hydra bow dropped, I'd be excited. No questions asked.

Thanks, I'll look into those. I didn't think of storm armor because it isn't arcane, haha.

Running out of arcane and thus stopping the disintegrate channeling is a real bummer in some fights. There are a few ways to keep it up longer.

Astral Presence for more arcane power \ arcane regen
Arcanot (familiar rune) for arcane regen
Arcane on crit (helmet, source)
Storm armor + power of the storm (reduced arcane cost)

The downside to storm armor is that you can't use energy armor (better defense).
The downside to energy armor is that you lose arcane power AND it costs more. So you have better defense but disintegrate dies much, much faster.

I miss having energy armor. That toughness boost sure is nice in Torment 3 and higher.

Mugaaz

Decided to switch to normal for those A1 bounty bags.

How stupid is it that I can get better drops from playing on the lowest difficulty in the game rather than on T3? Excluding the torment only items of course.

Over the course of an hour I think I got 5 leg/set plans and a handful of legendaries, compared to no plans and maybe 1-2 legendaries when I was doing it on T3.

Doesn't exactly encourage growing your character when the best way to get drops is to roll lower difficulties.

I would like to see the higher Torments get some weight for better drops. I want more incentive than just XP and Gold because it seems like you are going to be high Paragon and have lots of gold once you put in the hours to get good enough gear to even play the highers T's. Better drops would be a big incentive to give the higher challenges a go sooner than later.

Not sure if the formulas are accurate, but shouldn't these be the lego bonuses per T level rift now?
T1 = 230.0%
T2 = 264.5%
T3 = 304.1%
T4 = 349.8%
T5 = 402.2%
T6 = 462.6%

I just do not agree with the Diablo masses here:

How in the world is it "not worth doing" higher T levels because there is no "incentive"? Seriously, what are you guys talking about. I'm soloing T5 rifts in 13-18 mins (slightly slow because i have to solo these because don't have friends this far yet). I get like ...150-200m exp, 350-400k gold a run. I'm getting slightly less than twice the amount of drops you guys do on T1, and slightly less than 4x the gold/xp?

T4 is slightly more efficient for me. However, I prefer T5 because I dislike grinding keys, and I usually fully clear the rift for same reason. I would get more loot/gold/xp faster if I stopped right after killing rift boss.....if Rift Keys were an infinite resource, but the time it takes to farm them solo makes it more effecient for me to full clear I think.

Higher T levels have the incentive, I think people who disagree have some combination of bad build, bad gear, or bad thinking. There is one place where higher T levels need incentive, and that's grinding keys. There is no reason to do these on higher Torments. In fact if you don't do normal split farm of them you are basically just "doing it wrong". There needs to be more keys/shards/cache legos on higher T levels. I fucking hate grinding keys. I hate doing it on high T level because its a waste of time, and I hate doing it on split normals because its boring as shit. Either way I hate it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This is why I hardly ever feel any excitement when I see a legendary drop. Even though they are legendary items, unless they have the "required" stats, they'll still be garbage. Very different from D2. If a unique hydra bow dropped, I'd be excited. No questions asked.

It really is kind of weird how they seem to think it's viable design to have a bunch of shit affixes that can be on an item. There is an obvious "right path" for just about every class, and any deviation from it gear-wise will result in dramatically decreased performance. It's just sad because the minute-to-minute gameplay in D3 is quite fun, but I feel that they continue to blow it when it comes to gear.

Higher T levels have the incentive, I think people who disagree have some combination of bad build, bad gear, or bad thinking. There is one place where higher T levels need incentive, and that's grinding keys. There is no reason to do these on higher Torments. In fact if you don't do normal split farm of them you are basically just "doing it wrong". There needs to be more keys/shards/cache legos on higher T levels. I fucking hate grinding keys. I hate doing it on high T level because its a waste of time, and I hate doing it on split normals because its boring as shit. Either way I hate it.

Not to mention the fact that bounty bags (caches) are pretty much exactly the same for normal and torment. There's no reason to farm torment for caches if you want a specific cache legendary. Just do normal. Seems... kinda silly.

Caches rewarded by doing bounties on torment difficulty should have a higher chance at rewarding you with a legendary.

And what class\build are you running with that you're doing T5 rifts that fast? 13-18 doesn't seem all that slow for me if you continue on past the boss.

scy

How in the world is it "not worth doing" higher T levels because there is no "incentive"?

Unless I'm overlooking gearing things, the only Torment level I'm comfortable in saying that has a lack of "incentive" might be T6 just due to it never really being at fast clear speeds. T5 will probably be the last difficulty level for that kind of pace. Then again, I could be entirely wrong on that.

And I do bounties on T1 with my Wizard since it's basically Normal speed.

Yeah the last two days for me have been nothing but act 1 bounty runs for that damn ring. I'm not stopping until I get it either. I'm starting to hate act 1 and the bounty runs.

On the plus side, I've got about 300 rift keys and if my luck, or lack thereof continues, I'll have 600 before I get the damn thing and won't need to do bounties for a while.

scy

Yeah the last two days for me have been nothing but act 1 bounty runs for that damn ring. I'm not stopping until I get it either. I'm starting to hate act 1 and the bounty runs.

On the plus side, I've got about 300 rift keys and if my luck, or lack thereof continues, I'll have 600 before I get the damn thing and won't need to do bounties for a while.

open all of my rifts pls

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
And I do bounties on T1 with my Wizard since it's basically Normal speed.

Yep. If you're mostly one-shotting everything on Torment 1, you won't be going any faster on the lower difficulties.

Draft

Not every aspect of Diablo 3's design has to validate the loot treadmill. Torment is meant to prolong the endgame by making enemies tougher, not necessarily making them more loot heavy.

The question I'd ask if why bother grinding normal for gear? To run Torment 4 instead of Torment 1? What is the point of running anything in Diablo 3 except to:

1. Enjoy the game;
2. Improve a character.

Personally, farming caches from normal severely hampers my enjoyment of the game. Looting an orange or green item is still going to tickle that pleasure center, but it's got to get boring fast. Who wants to win without trying?

I've given up. The drop rate from caches is so pitifully low, AND the 2 royal rings I've found so far had god-awful stats. Gotta love the required stats items need to have in order to be viable...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a list of the cache specific loot broken down by act?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom