• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

Personally, farming caches from normal severely hampers my enjoyment of the game. Looting an orange or green item is still going to tickle that pleasure center, but it's got to get boring fast. Who wants to win without trying?

It's mostly because it can take 200-300-400+ Act 1 bounty clears (that is, 1000-2000 total bounties done) before you even see the Legendary from the cache. At that kind of rarity, you're looking at wanting to get as many done as possible.

I assume at some point the caches will scale with difficulty and that they're only like they are now currently to avoid people opening bags on difficulties higher than the one they were earned on.

Find me a RoG please and I'll open every rift you want :p

welp.

Is there a list of the cache specific loot broken down by act?

Here.

Insaniac

Not every aspect of Diablo 3's design has to validate the loot treadmill. Torment is meant to prolong the endgame by making enemies tougher, not necessarily making them more loot heavy.

The question I'd ask if why bother grinding normal for gear? To run Torment 4 instead of Torment 1? What is the point of running anything in Diablo 3 except to:

1. Enjoy the game;
2. Improve a character.

Personally, farming caches from normal severely hampers my enjoyment of the game. Looting an orange or green item is still going to tickle that pleasure center, but it's got to get boring fast. Who wants to win without trying?

Unfortunately not everyone follows this logical sense of thinking, and want to find ways to maximize their loot with minimal effort. For what? To run the higher torment levels that they refuse to do anyways because the "loot isn't as good?"

edit: Scy: I agree, at some point I hope caches scale with difficulty to provide a better chance at drops, seems odd that they have it the way they do currently

Mugaaz

Not to mention the fact that bounty bags (caches) are pretty much exactly the same for normal and torment. There's no reason to farm torment for caches if you want a specific cache legendary. Just do normal. Seems... kinda silly.

Caches rewarded by doing bounties on torment difficulty should have a higher chance at rewarding you with a legendary.

And what class\build are you running with that you're doing T5 rifts that fast? 13-18 doesn't seem all that slow for me if you continue on past the boss.

I know other's dont continue past boss. So I based my 13-18 mins based off me taking screenshots as I clicked the portal to clicking orick right after I finished the boss.

I'm using this - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Mugaaz-1777/hero/46040627

Rolled this char fresh on Thursday. He's using my Wizard's SoH/Thundergods/trifecta ring /Blackthornes boots. Rest is self found. Pretty happy with everything except both Blackthorne's pieces are pretty shit, but set bonus still makes them really good. Need a SoJ really bad, but gambling for Hexing pants first.

garath

I know other's dont continue past boss. So I based my 13-18 mins based off me taking screenshots as I clicked the portal to clicking orick right after I finished the boss.

I'm using this - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Mugaaz-1777/hero/46040627

Rolled this char fresh on Thursday. He's using my Wizard's SoH/Thundergods/trifecta ring /Blackthornes boots. Rest is self found. Pretty happy with everything except both Blackthorne's pieces are pretty shit, but set bonus still makes them really good. Need a SoJ really bad, but gambling for Hexing pants first.

I go as deep as I can for every rift I open. I've gotten stuff post boss before that makes it worth it. There are usually chests and elite packs well past the boss. Sometimes I'll even find another level or two.

jkanownik

Hey Barbs,

Took a break for a few days. Gonna jump back in tonight but I wanted to see if there were any new Barb builds.

I'm currently sitting on (Buffed):
51% Crit Chance
400% Crit DMG
9M Toughness
DW 1 Handers
300K HP
6K LoH
And about 630K Sheet DPS

Was using a HotA Build with Super Saiyan Option for Burst DPS, but I just don't seem very happy with my performance. Do I really need TF or SoH to have a decent performing Barb?

Here is my Dude - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/dubcee-1662/hero/3462194

There are things you can do to improve performance without a TF or SoH. I only recently got my TF and was fine before that (~850K buffed DPS and 8M toughness + 35% LD bonus to all attacks)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/jkanownik-1671/hero/4389090

Some tips for you:

• Lightning damage on bracers + a bunch of uniques can improve damage output of Frenzy, Whirlwind and HoTA if you have the correct runes on them
  • I have Relentless, Superstition and Bloodthirst over Animosity, Weapons Master and Boon of BK
  • My other weapon was 2,300+ DPS before I switched to TF. You have room to grow there
  • Res all has diminishing returns after 700%. Drop it off your gloves in favor of CD
  • Getting vit on your shoulders will allow you to add CD, CC or STR elsewhere without impacting toughness
  • An amethyst in your helm would allow you to add CD, CC or STR elsewhere without impacting toughness

scy

edit: Scy: I agree, at some point I hope caches scale with difficulty to provide a better chance at drops, seems odd that they have it the way they do currently

I just assume it's something about how they're originally coded that makes it work that way. Since the loot is determined when the cache is opened, not when it's generated, it seems that it's just hardset to take into account MF%/difficulty/etc. at the time it's opened. So ... just turn all of that off is the easy way to stop Normal bags opened in T6.

We'll probably end up with individual caches per difficulty (e.g., Normal Bounty Bag, Torment 1 Bounty Bag) if I had to guess. Maybe not seen on our end but something on the back end like that.

Insaniac

I just assume it's something about how they're originally coded that makes it work that way. Since the loot is determined when the cache is opened, not when it's generated, it seems that it's just hardset to take into account MF%/difficulty/etc. at the time it's opened. So ... just turn all of that off is the easy way to stop Normal bags opened in T6.

We'll probably end up with individual caches per difficulty (e.g., Normal Bounty Bag, Torment 1 Bounty Bag) if I had to guess. Maybe not seen on our end but something on the back end like that.

Yeah, I agree.

Perhaps with the introduction of Greater Rifts, they'll include caches as a reward that is scaled with difficulty (and how far you go in the Rift?). I'd like to see caches included as rewards for things other than bounties.

scy

Res all has diminishing returns after 700%. Drop it off your gloves in favor of CD

All Resist has no diminishing returns. Neither does Armor.

Please don't make me play my Barb instead of my Crusader :(

Ohnonono

Not to mention the fact that bounty bags (caches) are pretty much exactly the same for normal and torment. There's no reason to farm torment for caches if you want specific cache legendary. Just do normal. Seems... kinda silly.

Caches rewarded by doing bounties on torment difficulty should have a higher chance at rewarding you with a legendary.

And what class\build are you running with that you're doing T5 rifts that fast? 13-18 doesn't seem all that slow for me if you continue on past the boss.

Or a plan! PLANS! Make higher torment level caches drop plans. FFS.

Yeah, I agree.

Perhaps with the introduction of Greater Rifts, they'll include caches as a reward that is scaled with difficulty (and how far you go in the Rift?). I'd like to see caches included as rewards for things other than bounties.

No one would do bounties if caches came from rifts. Well I guess they would, but only to get into rifts. They need to make bounties less chore like and more fun. Keep the caches as bounty only. Maybe add some more specific legs and have them scale with torment difficulty.

They also need to address split farming caches. It's just too efficient, even though boring. Maybe give bonuses to key fragments for having the party bonus up or something. As long as split farming yields more keys and quests than grouping, people will do it.

Or a plan! PLANS! Make higher torment level caches drop plans. FFS.

I'd be happy if I never dropped another plan. I don't think there's a single item I'm dying to craft.

Someone should create a list of all the worthwhile craftable items. 99% of the plans I find are garbage.

I go as deep as I can for every rift I open. I've gotten stuff post boss before that makes it worth it. There are usually chests and elite packs well past the boss. Sometimes I'll even find another level or two.

I go back and forth on this. I've found stuff past the boss, but its all RNG. Who's to say that wouldn't have dropped from the next champion pack in a new rift? Maybe it's best to maximize the number of rift guardian fights.

Then there are times where you have an awesome map with lots of champ packs such as the prison where you want to keep going because you know the mob density is great and its easy to explore.

What is the alternate Gaf clan? Me and my buddy play a lot and the current clan we're in is too small and not active enough. We're looking for something with a lot of active players that also play a lot.

Bizazedo

All Resist has no diminishing returns. Neither does Armor.

Please don't make me play my Barb instead of my Crusader :(

Brings up a question I have. Armor, how valuable / important is it? It's been one of the first stats I re-roll, but then I read a tooltip or mousever or hallucinated, but what all does it stop? It seemed like one of the percentages I saw was fairly large.

But, again, I'm dumb and don't pay attention sometimes.

Tom Penny

Yeah, I agree.

I wish greater rift type thing was normal.. Each floor is harder and harder. Challenge yourself to see how far you can get and adjust gear to see what floor you can get too and you get one death or something.

scy

Brings up a question I have. Armor, how valuable / important is it? It's been one of the first stats I re-roll, but then I read a tooltip or mousever or hallucinated, but what all does it stop? It seemed like one of the percentages I saw was fairly large.

But, again, I'm dumb and don't pay attention sometimes.

In a vacuum, 10 Armor = 1 All Resist. Ideally, you have that kind of ratio since their bonuses are multiplicative but it's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. You're usually safe rerolling it since the +Armor bonuses tend to not be big enough to massively change things.

garath

I go back and forth on this. I've found stuff past the boss, but its all RNG. Who's to say that wouldn't have dropped from the next champion pack in a new rift? Maybe it's best to maximize the number of rift guardian fights.

Then there are times where you have an awesome map with lots of champ packs such as the prison where you want to keep going because you know the mob density is great and its easy to explore.

What is the alternate Gaf clan? Me and my buddy play a lot and the current clan we're in is too small and not active enough. We're looking for something with a lot of active players that also play a lot.

The way I look at it is I have just as much chance getting a legendary from the next chest after the boss as I do before the boss. Why spend more fragments opening a new rift when there's more to be had in the current rift? The only advantage is faster blood shards.

Mugaaz

I wish greater rift type thing was normal.. Each floor is harder and harder. Challenge yourself to see how far you can get and adjust gear to see what floor you can get too and you get one death or something.

Thing I really don't understand with tiered rifts that get harder....how does this work with Torment. I mean, what gets harder? Do the mobs numerical stats keep going up? Density? What exactly? What do tiered rifts accomplish if all that happens is each 3 floors = + 1 torment level? I can already scale the difficulty to what torment level I like right now, so what is so compelling about this? I dont understand how this idea is actually going to play well. If you have a strong char, all the bottom tiers will be pure trash content and boring. Youll need to slog through this each time to get to the hard part? That doesnt sound fun at all.

The boss is more rewarding than a pack, and so is the reward for closing the rift, but its really not that compelling. If the rift is "good" i.e. nice dense maps I think its 100% worth clearing. If you kill the boss and next floor is Pandemonium Fortress I'm gonna fucking bail immediately. If each floor is dense graveyard map I'm going till I hit rock bottom.

Basically the rewards for the boss and closing the rift are higher than random elite packs, but densely packed mobs and elites are more rewarding than a rift boss + rift closing. Its not worth closing a rift immediately post boss if the rift is good.

The way I look at it is I have just as much chance getting a legendary from the next chest after the boss as I do before the boss. Why spend more fragments opening a new rift when there's more to be had in the current rift? The only advantage is faster blood shards.

Yeah I get that too which is why I struggle with how to do it. Usually I keep going and let someone else close it. and try to rush as fast as possible. Sometimes the mob density is so bad I want to close it asap and get to the next rift.

Thing I really don't understand with tiered rifts that get harder....how does this work with Torment. I mean, what gets harder? Do the mobs numerical stats keep going up? Density? What exactly?

I've only seen this floor once, but it was a 1 floor rift where every single pack was a champion/elite one. Even on T1 people were dying left and right because there were so many mobs and affixes everywhere. It was the most fun I've had in a rift. I imagine with a tiered rift you'd eventually reach floors just like this.

Playing T3 is a lot more fun. You really have to coordinate and spec your skills to the geography, enemy types and such.

Sure it takes longer but for me, it makes the game much more fun.

1 hitting through normal was not my idea of "playing"

scy

My assumption is the difficulty increasing was going to be something different than the Torment slider since ... that's just logical. Unless it's only available at T6 or something. But, hey, Blizzard.

Mugaaz

Playing T3 is a lot more fun. You really have to coordinate and spec your skills to the geography, enemy types and such.

Sure it takes longer but for me, it makes the game much more fun.

1 hitting through normal was not my idea of "playing"

I love Diablo as much as the next guy, but skill is not needed to play on T3 or T6. Gear and good spec are required, skill is nice to have but not as useful. Theres some skill in Diablo, just not a lot and not that hugely rewarded or required.

Anyone else having framerate issues and/or screen tearing on a good/decent PC?
I have a good rig, more than capable of running D3 at high settings, yet it runs worse than on my previous PC.

Deadly

Thing I really don't understand with tiered rifts that get harder....how does this work with Torment. I mean, what gets harder? Do the mobs numerical stats keep going up? Density? What exactly? What do tiered rifts accomplish if all that happens is each 3 floors = + 1 torment level? I can already scale the difficulty to what torment level I like right now, so what is so compelling about this? I dont understand how this idea is actually going to play well. If you have a strong char, all the bottom tiers will be pure trash content and boring. Youll need to slog through this each time to get to the hard part? That doesnt sound fun at all.

My assumption is the difficulty increasing was going to be something different than the Torment slider since ... that's just logical. Unless it's only available at T6 or something. But, hey, Blizzard.
Interesting question. More elites sounds likely but it can't be the only thing.

I love Diablo as much as the next guy, but skill is not needed to play on T3 or T6. Gear and good spec are required, skill is nice to have but not as useful. Theres some skill in Diablo, just not a lot and not that hugely rewarded or required.

Agree. Diablo is about time, knowledge, and preparation more than skill.

Piotrek

I have a good rig, more than capable of running D3 at high settings, yet it runs worse than on my previous PC.

I think Blizzard broke something in one of the recent patches. I've got a few friends playing on really decent PCs who keep complaining about random performance drops (not the online UI thing).
Yet, here I am playing on almost the lowest settings on a 2010 macbook and keeping constant 40-60fps. :->

I swapped Haunt for Big Bad Voodoo for T3 rifts, and it makes a huge difference. Pop it when you start fighting an elite pack and they seem to just melt. It adds about 850k DPS for me, I'm assuming it's a huge boost for other players in the party, too.

jblank83

I have a Sapphire Tri-X r9 290 and a 2500k oc to 4.4 ghz. I get crazy frame drops from time to time.

It's not your hardware. It's poor optimization. The issue is well known.

There are a couple of minor fixes you can attempt. One is to lower your sound channels to 16 or 32. There is a known issue with how D3 processes sound. The other is to add Diablo 3 to your anti-virus's exception list. Just go in there and add the entire Diablo 3 folder.

Insaniac

Its way to early to tell how they will do tiered rifts, but there is supposed to be a leaderboard in regards to how far a character gets in a rift. Its like PVP, the reward is bragging rights, although with tiered rifts you get loot too

I started back up as a crusader personally, and hadn't played since original launch. So far, I am not as happy with my crusader as I was with the Paladin in D2, and kinda liking my monk better. Only at 14 and 18 respectively though, so I am sure things will change. Runs like crap on my laptop so sometimes its hard to find the will to play.

Shifty76

With the latest patch I recently started getting 1-2 second pauses every time I open my inventory screen, or even hold down ctrl to view stats of items on the ground.

Was butter smooth before that

RS4-

I only get frame drops/lag in certain areas. Bridge of Korsikk is probably the biggest offender.

Sometimes it happens in the core of arreat areas.

So a legendary helm drops on my DH. Great, another Blind Faith, whatever. NOPE it's an Andariel's. FUCK. I've been wanting one on my lightning crusader so bad. Dumped at least 1k shards at Kadala trying to get one. And now I get a fucking Dex one, GFG.

But then I ID it.

diabloiii2014-04-151349qr2.png

bigb0ss

Banned
So I gave up on my crusader and went back to my whirlwind Barbarian.

I wish enchanting wasn't random. They should let you chose which stat replacement to use, but let RNG decide the values. I don't even mind if it was more expensive (set price) to do so. Playing Russian roulette to get the replacement you want is way too random, expensive (exponentially increasing), and not fun.

garath

So a legendary helm drops on my DH. Great, another Blind Faith, whatever. NOPE it's an Andariel's. FUCK. I've been wanting one on my lightning crusader so bad. Dumped at least 1k shards at Kadala trying to get one. And now I get a fucking Dex one, GFG.

But then I ID it.

Wow. So awesome. That's lucky!

Yes, any time UI elements pop up (notifications, tooltips, etc) it causes everything to freeze for a second or two.

It annoys me to no end because it shouldn't be happening on a 4670K/16GB/770GTX setup.

Insaniac

I wish enchanting wasn't random. They should let you chose which stat replacement to use, but let RNG decide the values. I don't even mind if it was more expensive (set price) to do so. Playing Russian roulette to get the replacement you want is way too random, expensive (exponentially increasing), and not fun.

While I do think they could make tweaks to the enchanting system, I don't agree with being allowed to simply choose the stat you want.

I do think they should cap the price increase at something below a million. Not everyone is swimming in gold and/or has the time to farm another million to re-reroll for crit.

I also do think they need to tweak the enchanting so that you don't get the the same damn affixes as both options. Also if you keep rerolling an item, perhaps lower the chance to get a certain affix if you don't choose it to increase the odds of the other affixes (so if you keep rolling vit, and the enchanter gives you Vit and Armor as options, the next time you roll, vit and armor will have a slightly reduced chance to show up

Fuck enchanting, I'm at 700k per roll on this fucking Axe of Sankis because it refuses to give me socket...there are only like 5 options...how the fuck does socket as an affix not show up once from all those rolls?! Went from 93k per roll to 700k (683k to be exact) without once hitting socket. Fuck this axe, I'm going to salvage it.

Running out of arcane and thus stopping the disintegrate channeling is a real bummer in some fights. There are a few ways to keep it up longer.

Astral Presence for more arcane power \ arcane regen
Arcanot (familiar rune) for arcane regen
Arcane on crit (helmet, source)
Storm armor + power of the storm (reduced arcane cost)

The downside to storm armor is that you can't use energy armor (better defense).
The downside to energy armor is that you lose arcane power AND it costs more. So you have better defense but disintegrate dies much, much faster.

I miss having energy armor. That toughness boost sure is nice in Torment 3 and higher.

Oh, that reminds me. Have you (or another other wizards) played without a signature skill? My disintegrate seems to be up almost all the time (for now) and I was thinking about giving it a shot. It seems like it would be easier for a wiz than for a monk (my most played class).

Last night was insane. I hauled in 12 - 15 legs in a little under 4 hours of playtime on T2 rifts. The majority of them turned into Forgotten Souls but I did end up with Ice Climbers and a Mirrorball. It was easily the best night of drops for me since the Core chest runs.

To top it off I got the huge-ass prison rift and the never-ending hallway rift. Both were insanely fun!

Tom Penny

You already choose a torment level..my guess is it starts from there unless they are utterly stupid. In your case it would go beyond T6.

Shifty76

Fuck enchanting, I'm at 700k per roll on this fucking Axe of Sankis because it refuses to give me socket...there are only like 5 options...how the fuck does socket as an affix not show up once from all those rolls?! Went from 93k per roll to 700k (683k to be exact) without once hitting socket. Fuck this axe, I'm going to salvage it.

I'm feeling the same way about trying to get lightning resist on my Aughilds Shoulders. I'm up to around 800k per re-roll now too.

Yeah I just don't agree. It should be random. Not a handout.

bigb0ss

Banned
While I do think they could make tweaks to the enchanting system, I don't agree with being allowed to simply choose the stat you want.

I do think they should cap the price increase at something below a million. Not everyone is swimming in gold and/or has the time to farm another million to re-reroll for crit.

I also do think they need to tweak the enchanting so that you don't get the the same damn affixes as both options. Also if you keep rerolling an item, perhaps lower the chance to get a certain affix if you don't choose it to increase the odds of the other affixes (so if you keep rolling vit, and the enchanter gives you Vit and Armor as options, the next time you roll, vit and armor will have a slightly reduced chance to show up

At least we agree that the enchanting system currently sucks, unless you're incredibly lucky. If you're that lucky, then you thought loot drops were fine before loot 2.0. We need enchanting 2.0.

I'm not asking for Diablo 2 hack/stat modifier level type of customization, but at least let us choose the 1 stat we replace with stat we want. They should just make it expensive with a set gold price and require lots of mats (5 to 10 forgotten souls, depending on the tier of the legendary).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I really don't like the increasing costs of enchants. Just too much randomization. First you have to get lucky and have it appear in the first place, then you have to get lucky and have it roll at least mostly other desirable affixes. To have to get lucky a third time just to make an item usable is a bit much.

Yeah I just don't agree. It should be random. Not a handout.

I dunno. The whole point of enchanting is to throw you a bone on items that didn't roll perfectly or were missing something essential. To make that part random, too, just seems like a bit much to me. I don't enjoy it.

I really don't like the increasing costs of enchants. Just too much randomization. First you have to get lucky and have it appear in the first place, then you have to get lucky and have it roll at least mostly other desirable affixes. To have to get lucky a third time just to make an item usable is a bit much.

Jesus. It's like people forgot what farming was like before the mystic.

Sillution

With the latest patch I recently started getting 1-2 second pauses every time I open my inventory screen, or even hold down ctrl to view stats of items on the ground.

Was butter smooth before that

I experience the same issue at times. Sometimes I can open the inventory screen no problem, but then randomly it will pause and stay that way for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom