• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celegus

Anyone else having framerate issues and/or screen tearing on a good/decent PC?
I have a good rig, more than capable of running D3 at high settings, yet it runs worse than on my previous PC.

Nothing like that, but ever since I installed RoS it's been overheating my comp hotter than I'd prefer and kicking the fan into high gear. It was fine even when I was playing vanilla after the loot 2.0 patch, but lately it sounds like it's going to take off like a rocket.

Nymerio

This is the skillset I run with on hardcore.

Screenshot042.jpg

The most important synergy here is between Fetish Sycophants, Firebats and Pierce the Veil. Firebats is without a doubt the best ability for spawning fetishes. With the Vampire Bats rune it doesn't cost any mana to channel, only when you start casting it. With Piranhas being the only other active ability used a lot (for the 15% increased damage), this allows me to use Pierce the Veil without running out of mana. Grave Injustice is possibly the best passive ability in the game, no matter what class, and should be used by every WD build unless you run without a single ability on a cooldown. Spirit Vessel is a necessity on hardcore, but can easily be replaced on softcore. Spirit Walk is another necessity on hardcore, but is an excellent ability even in softcore, because of the mobility, survivability and utility it provides. I use the Honored Guest rune for the extra mana those times I need it.

As for items, you want the same as almost every other class basically. Int and trifecta (AS, CC, CHD). Some specific items, if you want to run pet based builds (which is the best atm, expect a nerf some time soon), are Mask of Jeram, Tasker and Theo, Starmetal Kukri, and the 4 set bonus of Zunimassa's Haunt.

Thanks for the hints, I've just reached 70. I used a build similar to yours, just switched out the survivability skills. The only thing I find really annoying is that I go oom really fast when I have to cast Firebats a couple of times, like when I'm getting stunned or otherwise disrupted. Maybe it's just my crappy gear but Pierce the Veil burns through my mana extremely quickly. I often find myself unable to cast Piranhas, because I have to run around to get out of aoe effects on the ground. I also switched out the zombie dogs for mass hysteria with the rune that spawns zombie dogs if an enemy is killed while under the effect of hysteria. I'm not really sure if the zombie dogs are worth it though. With my mana pool it's kinda difficult to find another skill that is viable, I often only use mass hysteria to get the dogs up and then never use it again.

I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong :|

I dunno. The whole point of enchanting is to throw you a bone on items that didn't roll perfectly or were missing something essential. To make that part random, too, just seems like a bit much to me. I don't enjoy it.

You are being thrown a bone. You get like 20 rolls before it starts becoming cost prohibitive to get the item you want. Prior to the mystic you just thought "what could have been" and vendored the thing.

Edit: getting rid of double rolls per mystic would be good. So no vit rolls on both possibilities. They have to be unique. I'm also fine with adding another possibility increasing odds.

The mystic isn't supposed to be a handout though. It's a gamble.

Oh, that reminds me. Have you (or another other wizards) played without a signature skill? My disintegrate seems to be up almost all the time (for now) and I was thinking about giving it a shot. It seems like it would be easier for a wiz than for a monk (my most played class).

I haven't, no. I have a Mirrorball with 2x missiles. Single target DPS with charged blast is probably on par if not greater than disintegrate. It's also handy for sniping mobs farther out than disintegrate can reach.

That said, there are times when I do run out of arcane. But I'm not using a lot of arcane regen. Just arcane on crit for now.

Mugaaz

I really don't like the increasing costs of enchants. Just too much randomization. First you have to get lucky and have it appear in the first place, then you have to get lucky and have it roll at least mostly other desirable affixes. To have to get lucky a third time just to make an item usable is a bit much.

I dunno. The whole point of enchanting is to throw you a bone on items that didn't roll perfectly or were missing something essential. To make that part random, too, just seems like a bit much to me. I don't enjoy it.

I don't mind increasing cost, or the randomness, but think it should cap "somewhere" based on item type/rarity.

Also, would like option to disenchant item back to its base values (but still bound to you). Don't see why this can't be done. Item is already bound, having to "ruin" an item to use it for your current spec instead of the spec it would be good for is not a fun process or one needed.

garath

I don't mind increasing cost, or the randomness, but think it should cap "somewhere" based on item type/rarity.

Also, would like option to disenchant item back to its base values (but still bound to you). Don't see why this can't be done. Item is already bound, having to "ruin" an item to use it for your current spec instead of the spec it would be good for is not a fun process or one needed.

They're entertaining a "disenchant" option. There was a blue post about it on official forums.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You are being thrown a bone. You get like 20 rolls before it starts becoming cost prohibitive to get the item you want. Prior to the mystic you just thought "what could have been" and vendored the thing.

Edit: getting rid of double rolls per mystic would be good. So no vit rolls on both possibilities. They have to be unique. I'm also fine with adding another possibility increasing odds.

The mystic isn't supposed to be a handout though. It's a gamble.

Yeah, I know it's a gamble, but I just don't like that aspect. So much of the game is already a huge gamble.

And yeah, I remember what farming was like before the mystic and loot 2.0. It's why I didn't play the game much at all after the first month or two of release.

I like the loot hunt, but enchanting is really nothing but frustration in its current form for many instances, unless you get super lucky. Too many "gotta get super lucky" gate checks for a single item to become viable.

This all comes back to the problem of some affixes being VASTLY more desirable than others. If they fix that underlying problem, then it wouldn't feel like you were being forced to enchant something for it to be usable.

ferr

Thing I really don't understand with tiered rifts that get harder....how does this work with Torment. I mean, what gets harder? Do the mobs numerical stats keep going up? Density? What exactly? What do tiered rifts accomplish if all that happens is each 3 floors = + 1 torment level? I can already scale the difficulty to what torment level I like right now, so what is so compelling about this? I dont understand how this idea is actually going to play well. If you have a strong char, all the bottom tiers will be pure trash content and boring. Youll need to slog through this each time to get to the hard part? That doesnt sound fun at all.

The boss is more rewarding than a pack, and so is the reward for closing the rift, but its really not that compelling. If the rift is "good" i.e. nice dense maps I think its 100% worth clearing. If you kill the boss and next floor is Pandemonium Fortress I'm gonna fucking bail immediately. If each floor is dense graveyard map I'm going till I hit rock bottom.

Basically the rewards for the boss and closing the rift are higher than random elite packs, but densely packed mobs and elites are more rewarding than a rift boss + rift closing. Its not worth closing a rift immediately post boss if the rift is good.

i would definitely lean towards density being the method. greater density = greater challenge without raising difficulty = greater reward from killing more elites more often.

it might also be interesting if they had a "hardcore rift" where once you die, you're kicked out and the rift closes. can you honestly say you've never died in a T5 rift and believe you could go endlessly without dying? you'd be at the top of the T5 tiered rift ladder if so.

but it's all mostly conjecture at this point. i believe they said that the "greater" rifts are accessed by getting greater rift keys within a rift. so it's less about being awesome sauce and killing mobs and more like you need to run 5 "normal" rifts to unlock a "greater" rift which has +50000% leg drop etc etc who knows.

Tom Penny

Fuck enchanting, I'm at 700k per roll on this fucking Axe of Sankis because it refuses to give me socket...there are only like 5 options...how the fuck does socket as an affix not show up once from all those rolls?! Went from 93k per roll to 700k (683k to be exact) without once hitting socket. Fuck this axe, I'm going to salvage it.

We could go back to the launch days and you could buy that axe. Just save up a few hundred million gold or buy it with real money.

I don't give up on enchanting until my gold cost is 2 million. Though throwing away that many forgotten souls for absolutely nothing always feels really, really shitty. Given the slow rate at which I get legendaries, I need every forgotten soul I find. So many items waiting to be improved. So few souls :(

I haven't, no. I have a Mirrorball with 2x missiles. Single target DPS with charged blast is probably on par if not greater than disintegrate. It's also handy for sniping mobs farther out than disintegrate can reach.

That said, there are times when I do run out of arcane. But I'm not using a lot of arcane regen. Just arcane on crit for now.

Ha, now I get why mirrorball is so coveted...

You know what I hate?

That I'm so addicted to multiple characters. My Witch Doctor is a boss, my main without a doubt but I got tempted to try a Wizard over the weekend, spent COUNTLESS hours with him and decided that it was fun but not for me.

... so I started working on my Monk, it's great, I love it and feel like even though I'm generic lightning it's a great fit for me - probably be my main 'alt'.

The problem now is that I'm looking at my level 60 Barbarian wondering what kind of neat builds I could make-up and play (I generally experiment and come up with my own builds, min-maxing be damned) and am going over my head making a physical based Barbarian focused on HotA as my Fury spender. All before I hit level 61.

For all the people who curse this game for it's low drop rates on specific pieces of gear there has to be one alt-aholic like me who just can't stop having genuine fun experimenting. I may even spend my evening tonight running Expert-Master bounties and rifts just leveling my barbarian to 70 even though I'll inevitably come back to my Witch Doctor/Monk.

You know what I hate?

That I'm so addicted to multiple characters. My Witch Doctor is a boss, my main without a doubt but I got tempted to try a Wizard over the weekend, spent COUNTLESS hours with him and decided that it was fun but not for me.

... so I started working on my Monk, it's great, I love it and feel like even though I'm generic lightning it's a great fit for me - probably be my main 'alt'.

The problem now is that I'm looking at my level 60 Barbarian wondering what kind of neat builds I could make-up and play (I generally experiment and come up with my own builds, min-maxing be damned) and am going over my head making a physical based Barbarian focused on HotA as my Fury spender. All before I hit level 61.

For all the people who curse this game for it's low drop rates on specific pieces of gear there has to be one alt-aholic like me who just can't stop having genuine fun experimenting. I may even spend my evening tonight running Expert-Master bounties and rifts just leveling my barbarian to 70 even though I'll inevitably come back to my Witch Doctor/Monk.

I've been a Monk main since Vanilla. I have a 60 Barb, but I never really liked him. Then last week I decided to level up a DH and now I'm playing a Wizard and thinking about a Crusader.

The change to the difficulty levels has made it so much better to level up a character. My 1100DPS axe with a level 42 requirement also helps.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
While true, the amount of stupid that does exist is frightening.

Please elaborate!

I'm always interested in hearing advice that can help me play better or at least less stupidly.

ManCannon

You know what I hate?

That I'm so addicted to multiple characters.

I'm right there with you though my Wiz is the equivalent of your WD. The only class I've yet to get to 70 and on the way to being geared is my pre-RoS warrior still sitting at 60 but with the latest patch I'm ready to fire him up. I usually run a few T1 rifts with each of my guys per session and remarkably I've had pretty good luck getting useful drops across my whole line-up though no single one is godly yet but I'm hooked on variety.

Mugaaz

it might also be interesting if they had a "hardcore rift" where once you die, you're kicked out and the rift closes. can you honestly say you've never died in a T5 rift and believe you could go endlessly without dying? you'd be at the top of the T5 tiered rift ladder if so..

No way. I get roflstomped by certain things still in a hilarious way. Yesterdat I turned a corner into a pack of 15+ non-elite mosquitoes and got hit by all their projectiles, died instantly. Stuff like Jailer + Fire Chains is pretty much instant death too. I enjoy playing at a difficulty where I die every couple of rifts, it floats my boat. I don't play with a psuedo-HC mindest of never dying.

Celegus

You know what I hate?

Why is this a problem? It sounds like a much healthier and more fun way to play the game (and also what I do) than joining the hordes of people complaining that they can't find a Shard or whatever. My main goal is to get all classes to 70 and hopefully eventually be able to handle T1. Focusing on one class and looking for all the best in slot equipment sounds horribly dull and frustrating. Heck, if you're like me and don't even know what the best equipment even is, you can be constantly excited by all the new legendaries and trying stuff out on all your characters and coming up with your own builds. I like the game because it's fun to play moment to moment, not because I want my numbers to be the highest.

scy

Please elaborate!

I'm always interested in hearing advice that can help me play better or at least less stupidly.

Most of it is basic stuff involving dealing with affixes or even just knowing how to stick with the party. Then things like not knowing how to use certain skills to their fullest (e.g., Shield Glare's Blind is an interrupt so you can stop attack animations). Or how to even fight some bosses (e.g., Infernal Maiden's damage is mostly in her spin which has a wind-up).

Besides that, I get irrationally angry when a party has 2+ Monks/Crusaders and they all have the same Mantra/Law. Like, I don't mind switching off Answered Prayer to Bravery or whatever but please be able to keep 100% Glory uptime if I do. That's pretty much the entire reason I just stick on with it.

Why is this a problem? It sounds like a much healthier and more fun way to play the game (and also what I do) than joining the hordes of people complaining that they can't find a Shard or whatever. My main goal is to get all classes to 70 and hopefully eventually be able to handle T1. Focusing on one class and looking for all the best in slot equipment sounds horribly dull and frustrating. Heck, if you're like me and don't even know what the best equipment even is, you can be constantly excited by all the new legendaries and trying stuff out on all your characters and coming up with your own builds. I like the game because it's fun to play moment to moment, not because I want my numbers to be the highest.

It was kind of one of those "hate" but really it's a love letter. Kind of sarcastic. This game is amazing.

Powercast

Thanks for the hints, I've just reached 70. I used a build similar to yours, just switched out the survivability skills. The only thing I find really annoying is that I go oom really fast when I have to cast Firebats a couple of times, like when I'm getting stunned or otherwise disrupted. Maybe it's just my crappy gear but Pierce the Veil burns through my mana extremely quickly. I often find myself unable to cast Piranhas, because I have to run around to get out of aoe effects on the ground. I also switched out the zombie dogs for mass hysteria with the rune that spawns zombie dogs if an enemy is killed while under the effect of hysteria. I'm not really sure if the zombie dogs are worth it though. With my mana pool it's kinda difficult to find another skill that is viable, I often only use mass hysteria to get the dogs up and then never use it again.

I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong :|

Maybe use a primary skill like Firebomb (I usually use Pyrogeist), it costs no mana.

TheYanger

I know. I'm saying I'm weird and don't want to settle. I have a lightning build ring already so the bonus of swapping isn't great for me. I'll get that damn fire SOJ eventually. :)

You still make absolutely 0 sense. I misspoke about lightning in terms of which element, but just replace that with fire in what I said. You NUKED two SoJs because they didn't naturally roll fire, then were sad you didn't get one, when you could just reroll them into fire. that's absolutely insane. I mean, do you trash every other piece of gear that doesn't roll 100% optimal stats?

Celegus

It was kind of one of those "hate" but really it's a love letter. Kind of sarcastic. This game is amazing.

I figured as much, but still the amount of people that play the game solely in order to get the phattest loots and will only accept the highest possible numbers and nothing less is frightening. And then complain that the game hates them because they're trying to enchant one specific property at a high number and it's not happening.

I'm having a blast with the game too, it's amazing how many problems they fixed with the expansion. It's finally at least equivalent to Diablo 2 LoD which is some mighty high praise.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I love Diablo as much as the next guy, but skill is not needed to play on T3 or T6. Gear and good spec are required, skill is nice to have but not as useful. Theres some skill in Diablo, just not a lot and not that hugely rewarded or required.

I've always had the belief that diablo 3 isn't a game about "technical skill", there is a very low skill cap as far as actually playing the game goes. Diablo 3's complexity and actual "skill" comes from your own level of understanding of the games mechanics and how they interact with each other.

I've always played this game much the same way I do a trading card game, you come up with a plan you put it together and then you see how it works on the field.

The game rewards theorycrafting and not skillful play. Unfortunately there is also a slightly large cap on theorycrafting because the game doesn't give you that many interesting items / skills to explore.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
One of the more interesting theories concerning the legendary safety net and general trends: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12504870821.

Basically the dude theorizes/claims (from a software developer background) that the legendary safety net doesn't disappear instantly. Tt clocks you upward and you'll notice many more rares from both elites and chests (consistently) than usual when this happens, and after you find your first leg it will start scaling you back down over 10-15 minutes, not instantly. Hence why numerous people find 4-6 legs in the span of 30 minutes and then go cold for an hour or two.

Or it could all be hogwash explainable by this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clustering_illusion.

scy

One of the more interesting theories concerning the legendary safety net and general trends: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12504870821.

Basically dude theorizes/claims (from a software developer background) that the safety net doesn't disappear instantly, it clocks you upward and you'll notice many more rares than usual when this happens, and after you find your first leg, it will start clocking you back down, but not instantly. Hence why numerous people find 4-6 legs in the span of 30 minutes and then go cold for an hour or two.

This is basically how I assume it works: Getting a drop doesn't instantly reset it to normal. Just doesn't seem to make sense to work that way nor does it match my own experience.

Baliis

While interesting, as the first reply says, the devs have stated the safety net doesn't even start to kick in at all until 4-6 hours without a legendary. Unless they changed what they want the average leg rate to be without telling anyone, entirely possible, I dont see anything in this with regards to a safety net anyways, but it could show there's something up with the loot system just in general.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
While interesting, as the first reply says, the devs have stated the safety net doesn't even start to kick in at all until 4-6 hours without a legendary. Unless they changed what they want the average leg rate to be without telling anyone, entirely possible, I dont see anything in this with regards to a safety net anyways, but it could show there's something up with the loot system just in general.

Yeah the devs have stated things but according to all the supposed software/programming dudes in that thread, coding stuff like this can be quite buggy and oftentimes the code simply ends up working differently than the original intention. Also the dev articulating the idea behind the system might not have actually written the code.

For example, the devs state that the safety net is based on time spent killing mobs, however I don't think this is entirely true. Anyone that ran chest-runs a lot probably noticed that the same streakiness and backround MF increasing occurs as well (despite not killing mobs). Chests will start dropping more and more rares until you get that leg as your MF is increasing behind the scenes (probably related to the safety net).

The idea that the safety net timer also increases even if you're offline is an interesting one that I'll have to test by paying attention to my drops after going to bed and then waking up.

Mugaaz

I've always had the belief that diablo 3 isn't a game about "technical skill", there is a very low skill cap as far as actually playing the game goes. Diablo 3's complexity and actual "skill" comes from your own level of understanding of the games mechanics and how they interact with each other.

I've always played this game much the same way I do a trading card game, you come up with a plan you put it together and then you see how it works on the field.

The game rewards theorycrafting and not skillful play. Unfortunately there is also a slightly large cap on theorycrafting because the game doesn't give you that many interesting items / skills to explore.

There is a lot of skill in doing your own theorycrafting, but no skill is required to copy someone elses build. In TCG's skill is required to pilot a deck. The skill cap on piloting a build is pretty low.

This is basically how I assume it works: Getting a drop doesn't instantly reset it to normal. Just doesn't seem to make sense to work that way nor does it match my own experience.

/rant

This is how I assume it works. I kill shit, it drops stuff, sometimes that stuff is legendary. If I kill more stuff I get more legendaries, or if I kill stuff on higher difficulty at near the same speed. I as a single individual can learn nothing in a system such as this based on my sample sizes. Keeping notes on them and their trends is an absolute waste of my mental facilities. If I spend 10000 shards on boots and get nothing, but then spend 50 on hats and get 2 legendaries - IT DOESNT MEAN ANYTHING. It doesn't mean the rates got changed, it doesn't mean good boots are harder to get than hats, it doesnt mean I should gamble with kadala at a specific time of day. It doesnt mean anything.

Dahbomb

Yea I figured that's how it worked but there are some great potential tips/strats in that explanation as well:

Another very important telltale sign is the drop content of chests. Seeing multiple chests in a short time window dropping 1 yellow + 1 blue or 2 yellow is when I start running the rifts very quickly. Every time I've done this, I was able to net up to 3 legendaries before getting absolutely nothing again.

Anyway this definitely explains the streaky nature of Legendary drops very well. You could go a few Rifts without getting any and then suddenly you would get like 2-3 Legendaries in one Rift very close to each other.

It's nice to see someone sit down and experiment with the rates rather than blame everything on RNG.

Moving from Monk to Wizard, I'm surprised that armors are up for 10 minutes and require a refresh. I assumed when they got rid of that mechanic for monks (mantras) they would have changed it for Wizards, too.

TheYanger

I disagree, there's a pretty good skill cap to playing D3, you just don't need to reach it if you copy a busted/easy build. Especially in groups there are a LOT of interactions you can do that make the game vastly easier without nearly the gear people while and claim they need.

Taz

The quote from the dev says it , it will increase over time it's not like you play for 6 hours and it ramps up to 100% , the way I see it is over a period of time killing creatures it slowly increases till your at a point were one drops then it resets and starts again. People are saying when one drops the % increase stays for a small period of time so you get a high chance at a streak.

Baliis

The idea that the safety net timer also increases even if you're offline is an interesting one that I'll have to test by paying attention to my drops after going to bed and then waking up.

I buy into this one at least. I'd say a good 95% of days I get a legendary in my first 5mins of playing. Character I haven't played in a week? Leg off the first elite almost guaranteed.

You still make absolutely 0 sense. I misspoke about lightning in terms of which element, but just replace that with fire in what I said. You NUKED two SoJs because they didn't naturally roll fire, then were sad you didn't get one, when you could just reroll them into fire. that's absolutely insane. I mean, do you trash every other piece of gear that doesn't roll 100% optimal stats?

I think you keep skipping over the part where I said I know I'm being weird about it. I'm fine with waiting for the one I want. I'm not sure where you got I was sad.

It would currently replace a ring that gives me 41% increases spirit production on my generators anyway. So I want to wait for a better reason to drop that bonus. My other yellow rolled too perfect to replace as it even has 140 or so of my stacking element.

If I can get the RoG, I can drop that yellow and slot in two auglids pieces already rolled with my stacking element in my stash.

I have a plan .... Man.

I think you keep skipping over the part where I said I know I'm being weird about it. I'm fine with waiting for the one I want. I'm not sure where you got I was sad.

It would currently replace a ring that gives me 41% increases spirit production on my generators anyway. So I want to wait for a better reason to drop that bonus. My other yellow rolled too perfect to replace as it even has 140 or so of my stacking element.

If I can get the RoG, I can drop that yellow and slot in two auglids pieces already rolled with my stacking element in my stash.

What ring/stat is that?

Chocobro

I just got this in my first rift of the day, opinions on what I should reroll what to? Socket to CC? Too bad I'm going to lose 126 lightning resist from my current helm.
fb3dc87fd57815123453bc966f1e8bc4.png

garath

I just got this in my first rift of the day, opinions on what I should reroll what to? Socket to CC? Too bad I'm going to lose 126 lightning resist from my current helm.

I would potentially reroll the vitality into CC and socket a %life gem. For an average lifepool of 350k, the gem would yield about 20k more life than that vitality. Plus you later have the option to socket CDR if you pick up some big health on another slot.

Serra

I just hit level 70 on my first character, a crusader, a few minutes ago.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Serra-2227/hero/39545546

I have 85 blood shards. Should I blow them on gear from Kadala? Can you even use them on anything else? What pieces should I prioritise?

Are any of the basic blacksmith lvl 70 recipies worth crafting?

edit: also are 2h weapons generally a better investment that 1h weapons for a crusader?

Dreavus

Moving from Monk to Wizard, I'm surprised that armors are up for 10 minutes and require a refresh. I assumed when they got rid of that mechanic for monks (mantras) they would have changed it for Wizards, too.

That would have been a welcome change!

Perhaps if there was a way for your buffs to be stripped off you, then it would actually matter. Right now it's just "press that hotkey sometimes so it doesn't run out".

I have that helm with the vitality rerolled as CC. Depends what you want, but I run a TR build as well as that likes the spirit regen and CDR in the socket. If you don't care about CDR, it's not a bad idea.

Edit: and what garath said, the socket gives you the option of +life as well.

Dreavus: exactly.

Fender, I did not know that was a thing. Want.

scy

This is how I assume it works. I kill shit, it drops stuff, sometimes that stuff is legendary. If I kill more stuff I get more legendaries, or if I kill stuff on higher difficulty at near the same speed. I as a single individual can learn nothing in a system such as this based on my sample sizes. Keeping notes on them and their trends is an absolute waste of my mental facilities. If I spend 10000 shards on boots and get nothing, but then spend 50 on hats and get 2 legendaries - IT DOESNT MEAN ANYTHING. It doesn't mean the rates got changed, it doesn't mean good boots are harder to get than hats, it doesnt mean I should gamble with kadala at a specific time of day. It doesnt mean anything.

Good thing I said none of that then.

Dahbomb

Personally, I think this is flawed logic and I hope it's not the line of thinking the D3 devs have.

Did that stop people from playing D2? Did people complaining about not having anything to do in D2? No, there are still people that play D2.
D2 is a different game from D3. Because of the way the skills/character builds work, a ton of time was spent re-rolling characters for different builds in D2. No one does that in D3 anymore because changing specs is super easy and convenient.

In addition, D2's loot was balanced around trading. You honestly did not get good loot at the rate you get in D3 (how many people here got max level Runes to drop? not many I would imagine) so it would take you longer to get to that top tier gear without trading. Even trading itself took a lot of time.

And then of course D2 had Ladders + PvP which is what is lacking from D3 right now. That was what kept people playing.

D3 without Ladders/PvP and no trading/easy build changing means it has a much shorter shelf life. If the loot was tuned to what it was in the console version then people would stop playing after 2 weeks.

I guess after these features roll out in D3 they might make changes to the loot. Hell they already have made a few changes since launch. They might add in trading so who knows what will happen.

Mugaaz

Good thing I said none of that then.

You didn't, but any opinion on how drops work is 100% useless garbage unless they are able to collect this info from a wide userbase of players. People talking about how they got no legos for 3 hours then 4 in one rift doesnt mean a single thing. I got 3 legos off one rift boss before, what is there to learn from this? Nothing.

garath

I just hit level 70 on my first character, a crusader, a few minutes ago.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Serra-2227/hero/39545546

I have 85 blood shards. Should I blow them on gear from Kadala? Can you even use them on anything else? What pieces should I prioritise?

Are any of the basic blacksmith lvl 70 recipies worth crafting?

edit: also are 2h weapons generally a better investment that 1h weapons for a crusader?

Bloodshards are only used for Kadala. Blow away.

I'm using a 2h on my crusader right now only because it's the best weapon I have. I'd prefer a 1h just for the movespeed increase and the passive slot. Unless I get that crusader shield that removes the movespeed drawback.

scy

You didn't, but any opinion on how drops work is 100% useless garbage unless they are able to collect this info from a wide userbase of players. People talking about how they got no legos for 3 hours then 4 in one rift doesnt mean a single thing. I got 3 legos off one rift boss before, what is there to learn from this? Nothing.

I wouldn't go that far. What we do know is that there's an underlying system that's time-based (though the exacts of it are unknown) and it makes the most sense for the system to not be completely binary. That is, it doesn't reset to zero the moment a drop occurs. Whether or not we can prove that is a different matter entirely, especially without a widespread level of reliable data.

Edit: Basically, it's just my idea for how things work. If it proves untrue, that's fine. I'll adjust how I think it works as I get more and more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom