• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheYanger

Guys I tried making an explosive blast wizard after watching some youtube videos, but it doesnt seem as strong as the video. Is it because Im missing his wand? I didn't think one item would make that big of a difference. I'm using a 2300 one hander, so even if I used it I would lose a lot of sheet dps. Any suggestions DiabloGAF?

Also any general tips for more dps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mDEiF0hufs

You gotta realize, the wand of woh is essentially an item that says "+300% explosive blast damage" the build is not even remotely the same without it.

eek5

joesmokey

Got a pretty interesting amulet to drop, haven't seen this one before:
SRbSv2z.png
I don't use an Archon build so I'm not sure how effective this is (quite a dps trade off too). Interesting stats and proc at least. Also, have to love the icon + proc reference :).

wormania

Guys I tried making an explosive blast wizard after watching some youtube videos, but it doesnt seem as strong as the video. Is it because Im missing his wand? I didn't think one item would make that big of a difference. I'm using a 2300 one hander, so even if I used it I would lose a lot of sheet dps. Any suggestions DiabloGAF?

Also any general tips for more dps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mDEiF0hufs

The wand literally quadruples your explosive blast DPS, so yeah it's your wand.

Chocobro

So I tried out the Gyana na Kashu, pretty good damage output. I think I'll take the loss of LOH, LTK bonus, and lightning resist loss for now.
Then I remembered I had Blood Shards to give to Kadala and I finally got a Thundergod's Vigor. I'm thinking about rerolling for a higher Lightning %, opinions? Just found out I can't reroll that stat :(

I think TR with the appropriate cooldown reduction gear for good uptime on Epiphany:Inner Fire and some weapons with strong procs could be very effective. Use the cold rune to trigger the frozen skull from Shard of Hate, get a few other procs going on... not bad at all.

That is pretty much what I run with my monk, but I use +Fire. The chain from Maximus helps a lot. T1 is fast and easy. I haven't tried bumping up the level, though.

Dahbomb

Forgot about Tempest Rush and Shard of Hate. Yeah that would be pretty insane. Would make Cold Monk extremely strong. Need to reconsider options on it.

If I were to make a physical SSS build this is how I would make it (assume I have all the right pieces and the right stats):

Actives:

SSS - Pandemonium (for the Physical damage and crowd control. Also synergizes with some Legendary effects.)
Epiphany - Desert Shroud
LTK or Wave of Light - Physical damage runes (to dump something when you are using Epiphany)
Blinding Flash - Faith in the Light (30% damage and better up time due to CDR on gear)
WothF - Whatever rune suits your play style
Exploding Palm - Flesh is Weak

Passives:

Beacon of Ytar - Build uses CD heavy skills
OWE - To get resistances on secondary stats
STI - Need more armor at higher difficulties
Unity - For group boost

Transcendence if you want more survivability, Exalted Soul if you want more spammage with spells during Epiphany.

Weapon: Flow of Eternity

Get a socket in it and Reduced Cooldown stat as well.

Gloves: Sunwoko's Paws

Basically you just want the 2 piece set for the 20% damage to staff weapons.

I would get Dex, double Crit and reduced cooldown here.

Helm: Sunwoko's Crown

Needs a socket and crit chance. Socket for the Diamond. Can have LTK/WoL skill +% damage but not really needed.

Chest: Born's Frozen Soul

You need this as part of the 3 set to get the reduced cooldown.

Stats I would get 3 sockets, Seven Sided Strike +% damage, Dex, Vitality and secondary resistance.

Shoulder:

Born's Privilege

Shoulder you want Dex, SSS +% damage, Reduced Cooldown, secondary resistance, vitality.

Belt:

Captain Crimson's Silk Girdle

You basically want this set for the reduced cooldown as well.

Stats should be whatever, pretty easy to obtain.

Boots:

Captain Crimson's Waders

The other piece in the set.

Stats can be whatever again. Can have LTK/WoL +% skill bonuses but not necessary.

Rings:

1) Ring of Royal Granduer: Duh. Get double CC and CDR.

2) Stone of Jordan: Physical damage SoJ with CC.

Bracers:

Ancient Parthan Defenders

Stunning enemies with SSS stun rune will gives you a ton of toughness.

Get Physical damage and crit chance of course.

Reapers Wraps is an option if Spirit generation is a problem but with a lot of uptime on Epiphany this shouldn't be an issue.

Pants:

Can be whatever pants. You can also use these for one of the Crimson pants and get a different Belt or Boots.

Amulet:

Dovu Energy Trap
Haunt of Vaxo
Overwhelming Desire

Get Physical damage, double crit, Dex/reduced cooldown.

If you can get a Sunwoko amulet with double crit (then rerool the attack speed to physical damage) then you can switch the Helm and Bracers for Aughild's for the Elite damage bonuses. Only problem with this is that find that amulet is difficult as it is and getting double crit on it is even more difficult.

Basically insanely low cooldown on skills like Epiphany, Blinding Flash and SSS. You are using one of those 3 spells at one time during combat. Normally you start with Blinding Flash and do SSS immediately, turn on Epiphany, spam spells and by the time it has ended you will probably have Blinding Flash back which will buy time for SSS again. Attack speed is not needed for this build, Epiphany will build Spirit for you. Spirit generator is really a formality for when you really need to punch someone to get enough resource to use SSS. Lots of crowd control in this build too for higher Torment.

The Sunwoko set bonus gives 20% damage to staffs so your SSS will hurt a lot, will sort of make up for not having a second crit gem. With the 30% from Blinding Flash your skills with hit hard despite not having a ton of +% Elemental damage.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Forgot about Tempest Rush and Shard of Hate. Yeah that would be pretty insane. Would make Cold Monk extremely strong. Need to reconsider options on it.

I doubt stacking cold would be worth it - probably better to still use fire overall for Inner Fire.

Judging by that screenshot I posted earlier, with SoH you'd be strafing around like an A10 and it would be ideal to have the skulls taking things out before you passed them and had to circle around. Then you use your super weapon (SSS) for taking out bosses. Shoot-em-up monk, heh.

Dahbomb

Doesn't the Shard of Hate proc scale with +% element damage?

I think if I didn't have SoH I would use Fire TR build all the way but with SoH I would at least have to test it out.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Doesn't the Shard of Hate proc scale with +% element damage?

I think if I didn't have SoH I would use Fire TR build all the way but with SoH I would at least have to test it out.

Yeah, I think it does. Even considering that, it's a toss-up between the focus fire freezing skulls or the distributed AoE fire from inner fire contributing more to your clear speed. Something to consider if we ever get one, anyway.

TheYanger

Yeah, I think it does. Even considering that, it's a toss-up between the focus fire freezing skulls or the distributed AoE fire from inner fire contributing more to your clear speed. Something to consider if we ever get one, anyway.

I have to imagine the issue with tempest rush/frost skulls would be control. Lightning WW barb is so perfect because it's just a mess of shit all over the screen that is BOUND to kill things, you also move more slowly instead of faster, as opposed to sprinting around spamming skulls that you essentially have to laser sight against mobs, unless there's some aspect of the skulls I've missed (have not used them extensively).

IceMarker

Anyone else think that legendary items that are designated by Blizzard as being "glorified rares" should have at least a 5/3 Primary/Secondary affix cap?

I cannot for the life of me switch off of Defender of Westmarch because it has 5 primary rolls AND a legendary secondary affix.

jblank83

Got a pretty interesting amulet to drop...

Also, have to love the icon + proc reference :).

I'm actually tired of all the out of universe references. It's "immersion" breaking, imo. Same goes for Hammer Jammers and any other references to pop culture media. Keep it coherent and within the game's world.

On the subject of that amulet, as a wizard who runs archon, I'd never wear it. It's way too big a DPS dropoff and not even any arcane%. I'd rather stick with sick Moonlight Ward trifecta + 20-25% arcane.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I'm actually tired of all the out of universe references. It's "immersion" breaking, imo. Same goes for Hammer Jammers and any other references to pop culture media. Keep it coherent and within the game's world.

On the subject of that amulet, as a wizard who runs archon, I'd never wear it. It's way too big a DPS dropoff and not even any arcane%. I'd rather stick with sick Moonlight Ward trifecta + 20-25% arcane.

Diablo has a world?

Last I heard the story was shit and the lore was even worse.

Let people have their fun.
but I guess if hating that is your thing, then hate away as well

Dahbomb

It's not just Defender of Westmarch... Magefists have 5 primary affixes and one of them is a stat that only Magefist have in the slot (fire damage on a glove). It's BiS for all fire builds because it does 2 things a regular glove can't. Cindercoat is the same, it has 2 things going for it between the fire damage and resource cost reduction.

Those other Legendaries don't even have a single thing going for them.

Has anyone seen anything about Chiltara's spawn rate being absolutely abysmal now? 12 CoF runs and she still hasn't shown. She was rare before but not this bad. :/

Jubs

I had an Odyn Son drop for my monk, but it rolled shit damage. The +lightning skills rolled max though, and it would push me to +111% lightning damage. I haven't tried testing the proc yet on the Odyn, so I dunno how much damage it does. Would the +lightning and Odyn proc make it better than the Fumigator, despite the shitty damage roll?

eWmAxfc.jpg

I had an Odyn Son drop for my monk, but it rolled shit damage. The +lightning skills rolled max though, and it would push me to +111% lightning damage. I haven't tried testing the proc yet on the Odyn, so I dunno how much damage it does. Would the +lightning and Odyn proc make it better than the Fumigator, despite the shitty damage roll?

eWmAxfc.jpg

It's a 7% sheet DPS drop for a 19% gain from lightning skills. I would swap that all day.

Jubs

It's a 7% sheet DPS drop for a 19% gain from lightning skills. I would swap that all day.

Yeah, you're right. Just tested the proc on the Odyn, and it was critting for 4-5 mil, a helluva lot more than what the Fulm was giving me. The proc alone would negate any sheet damage I lose.

scy

As with other recent hotfixes, we’ve got one coming up shortly that we wanted to give the community a heads up about, this time regarding the legendary Shard of Hate. We’ve been closely observing our internal reports as well as player feedback on the Shard of Hate and the general consensus is that this item feels wildly out of line compared to other items. After digging in behind the scenes, we discovered a couple of bugs with this item that we believe is the ultimate culprit.

First, the internal cooldown of this item’s power was being reset each time a dual-wielding character attacked with a weapon in their other hand. This meant the effect was occurring twice as often for dual-wielding characters, and with particular skills such as Whirlwind or Tempest Rush that also carry attack speed multipliers, this effect was even more frequent.

Secondly, the proc rate of the item was ignoring the proc scalar of the skill it was used with, which in simple terms caused Shard of Hate’s affix to apply every time a skill was used. Combined with the above issue, this resulted in this Legendary vastly over performing, and even more so with particular builds.

The hotfixes we’re applying correct both of these unintended behaviors. As with all major changes, we hope to provide insight as to why we felt these changes were necessary as well as give context to the decisions we ultimately make.

Okay.

How about making some other non-shitty weapons at some point? And is this "ignoring the proc scalar" bit going to apply to all the other 100% proc rate weapons (e.g., Staalgard's)?

Dahbomb

eWmAxfc.jpg

Why don't you just re-roll the damage values on the Odyn Son? Unless you used the Mystic to enchant the socket.

Edit: Oh shit they are "fixing" Shard of Hate?

I for one am SHOCKED!

scy

Edit: Oh shit they are "fixing" Shard of Hate?

I for one am SHOCKED!

Honestly, I really wish they'd just tone down the Lightning proc, fix the WW/TR interactions in general, and then make other items interesting instead. Well, I can't say much until I see how low the proc rate becomes I guess.

Dahbomb

Just read the changes to Shard of Hate that are incoming.

Didn't know that SoH had an internal CD that resetted by dual wielding. Explains why it was OP for Monks and Barbs (not as much for other classes).

Honestly, I really wish they'd just tone down the Lightning proc, fix the WW/TR interactions in general, and then make other items interesting instead. Well, I can't say much until I see how low the proc rate becomes I guess.
It doesn't look like they are changing the actual proc rate of SoH... rather they are fixing two bugs.

Basically every skill has a proc coefficient for these Legendary items. SoH was procing off everything at 100% regardless of their coefficient (or so they say). So now it will proc like it's supposed to off of moves. TR has a proc rate of 25% so essentially it was procing SoH 4 times than it should be.

For WW Barbs their proc coefficient for WW was 13% (so roughly around 1 out of 8 hits would proc an effect). If dual wielding doubled the proc rate of SoH, then WW Lightning Barbs will have their SoH proc rates reduced effectively by at least 16 times!

Azulsky

Got a Thundergod Vigor Drop, felt good, still cant use because of Inna's set bonus and stacking fire resist

Then my friend gets a 2 missile, 9.5 CC Mirrorball from Kedala.....

scy

It doesn't look like they are changing the actual proc rate of SoH... rather they are fixing two bugs.

I know. Which is why I said I'll need to what it's like in game before I say much else on it. If it procs at around the same rate as my Andariel's still, that's probably not a big issue in the end. If it uses my actual LoH proc scalar, it'll be fairly abysmal of a proc rate.

Lol at the shard nerf, no fun allowed as always, smh

Found 2 thunderfuries in the span of an hour today, gave both to friends in the group (even though both would have been an upgrade over mine<.<) my inner lootwhore cried but then I'd be pretty sad if someone in my group kept their second one when they already had one so might as well not be a dick.

Was looking forward to finding a shard someday while building my proc gear (andariel-pox-TF-the fan of knives shoulders)

was

J2d

Getting tired of buying belts, spent probably 7000 shards hoping to get chilaniks link ,or if the stars align, thunder gods vigor. I'll probably ride high on the soh find for a week but 230 rifts and a lot of adventure mode quests on torment 1 and higher should have given me more than 2 set pieces =/

Edit: noooo my shard of hate, one day of riding high...

mileS

Has anyone seen anything about Chiltara's spawn rate being absolutely abysmal now? 12 CoF runs and she still hasn't shown. She was rare before but not this bad. :/

This bug was around since the loot 2.0 patch. They said they would fix it next patch so I assume they completely forgot about it.

cdyhybrid

I'm not mad about SoH nerf[edit: fix], still going to be a very good weapon. Still need dat Thunderfury though.

Lol at the shard nerf, no fun allowed as always, smh

Found 2 thunderfuries in the span of an hour today, gave both to friends in the group (even though both would have been an upgrade over mine<.<) my inner lootwhore cried but then I'd be pretty sad if someone in my group kept their second one when they already had one so might as well not be a dick.

Was looking forward to finding a shard someday while building my proc gear (andariel-pox-TF-the fan of knives shoulders)

was

The loot gods will smile upon you in the future for this selfless act.

jblank83

Diablo has a world?

Last I heard the story was shit and the lore was even worse.

Let people have their fun.
but I guess if hating that is your thing, then hate away as well

Step 1. Hate
Step 2. Tell other people they're haters
Step 3. teeheehee

Look, it's a fantasy roleplaying game with demons and angels, wizards and witch doctors, Paladins, Templars, Crusaders, spells, swords, mystics, rogues, and so on. It doesn't need a Deadmau5 or M.C. Hammer reference. If you're going to go that far, might as well have Family Guy references. Maybe make a Peanut Butter Jelly Guy Hammer (doh ho ho).

There are just as many ways to make the game fun without that sort of immersion breaking reference. The Murlocket is a good example.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
When posting about new information, could you guys at least link to it? What's happening with Shard of Hate?

Miragith

SoH Blue Post

As with other recent hotfixes, we’ve got one coming up shortly that we wanted to give the community a heads up about, this time regarding the legendary Shard of Hate. We’ve been closely observing our internal reports as well as player feedback on the Shard of Hate and the general consensus is that this item feels wildly out of line compared to other items. After digging in behind the scenes, we discovered a couple of bugs with this item that we believe is the ultimate culprit.

First, the internal cooldown of this item’s power was being reset each time a dual-wielding character attacked with a weapon in their other hand. This meant the effect was occurring twice as often for dual-wielding characters, and with particular skills such as Whirlwind or Tempest Rush that also carry attack speed multipliers, this effect was even more frequent.

Secondly, the proc rate of the item was ignoring the proc scalar of the skill it was used with, which in simple terms caused Shard of Hate’s affix to apply every time a skill was used. Combined with the above issue, this resulted in this Legendary vastly over performing, and even more so with particular builds.

The hotfixes we’re applying correct both of these unintended behaviors and have been added to our 2.0.4 Hotfixes thread. As with all major changes, we hope to provide insight as to why we felt these changes were necessary as well as give context to the decisions we ultimately make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom