• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmfdmpig

Asheara 4 set bonus is pretty darn useful. I just need a good weapon now... Oh Thunderfury, where are thou

I have the legendary mats to make these now, and a ring of royal grandeur to get by with just 4 (luckily as I don't want to give up on my gloves). How good is the set bonus? Is it pretty significant?
If I use these on my wizard I'll only be giving up some rares and a leg. that removes the durability loss for death. I'm thinking it'll be a worthwhile upgrade.

lexi

Banned
next nerf = elemental dmg

jealous players QQing for nerfs on items they never had.

whats more to tell.

The item was unbalanced in my opinion. I certainly didn't cry out for a nerf to it, but I'm not surprised that it was. 100% proc chance is broken whatever way you look at it.

I agree with the above statement.

Arcane Dynamo + Arcane Mines.

Tricky to use, but man does it ever burn the ever living shit outta boss packs :p

Yea sometimes I use arcane dynamo with my Wand of Woh build and can get 6 explosive blasts that crit for 16m each and it's on a 6 second cooldown...oh god It's so fun.

Zaptruder

Banned
Arcane Dynamo with channeling spells is wicked indeed.

But for some reason Arcane mine seems to triple my damage output per tick... I've got about 650k sheet DPS which is pretty average...

With arcane disruption it crit ticks for 5-7 million... but with arcane mines, once the mines start going off, they're hitting for 20-30 million. 10-15 without the AD buff.

lexi

Banned
I agree with the above statement.

Yea sometimes I use arcane dynamo with my Wand of Woh build and can get 6 explosive blasts that crit for 16m each and it's on a 6 second cooldown...oh god It's so fun.

I really want a WoW. Or the wand that gives you an extra hydra, I love my hydras.

TheYanger

The skills that are defined by legendaries aren't even 'bad' without them. Explosive Blast is a perfectly viable niche wizard skill. Seven Sided Strike is a perfectly good skill on its own.

These two abilities are examples of skills that go from hole filling skills though to primary attacks because of items. You can't get mad that you can't make a build around spamming explosive blast without an item that lets you do it, when the skill itself is already balanced around its cooldown.

This is no different than me saying I want to make a permanent wrath of the berserker call of the ancients earthquake spamming build on my barb. All of those skills have uses already, and while there's a set to make CotA permanent, you sacrifice a lot to go for it. Just like using a Wand of Woh means you can't use some other good legendary. This is a pretty ridiculous argument to me. There really ARENT even cookie cutter builds right now, people try to copy popular streamers but honestly you're just as well off finding something that works well with the gear you have access to. Going frozen orb, absolute zero, glacial spike when you're not getting gear that supports it isn't intelligent, it doesn't make the build cookie cutter either, it just has a lower barrier to entry (frost damage items of some sort) and you're still going to be a lot worse off than people with SPECIFIC items for them.

Radec

The item was unbalanced in my opinion. I certainly didn't cry out for a nerf to it, but I'm not surprised that it was. 100% proc chance is broken whatever way you look at it.

I think it just looks like 100% proc since these WW barbs are dual-wielding and have fast attack speed.

Zeliard

But for some reason Arcane mine seems to triple my damage output per tick... I've got about 650k sheet DPS which is pretty average...

With arcane disruption it crit ticks for 5-7 million... but with arcane mines, once the mines start going off, they're hitting for 20-30 million. 10-15 without the AD buff.

Hm I've been using Disruption, will try out Mines.

Just tried it. My in-game DPS is 1,350,000 and I have 35% arcane. The most I saw them crit for was 19m. How the hell do you get 30m...

GorillaJu

One difference being that legendaries never dropped at release. There are still gear checks now to progress up a difficulty, so I'm not sure what the difference would be aside from harder content being more rewarding than it currently is. E.g. I still need X DPS and Y toughness to comfortably do T3,the values are still there that you need to hit.

Difficulty in Diablo 3 is basically measured in frustration, and most people don't think the game is fun when you're getting shat on by annoying elites. Thus making the requirement for getting the best gear tolerance for frustration would just end up with the same mess the game was originally in.

Glad to see SOH get nerfed. When items are that good, it hurts the game because it makes other builds less viable in comparison. One build becomes the default build.

cdyhybrid

Skills:

Consider moving over to Way of A Hundred Fists : Fist of Fury. Even with your lightning damage bonuses, you'll do more damage and gain spirit better with that generator. It isn't until much later in gearing that you will reevaluate to a Lightning-based generator.

You might want to look into some movement speed skills-Fleet Footed over Chant of Resonance, and MOC: Annihilation instead of Overawe. You'll farm faster.

Regarding gear-you've got a good a good mainhand with that Odyn's. You really just need to grind rifts for blood shards and toss them into belts to get the Lightning belt. That would be a big DPS boost. You should start looking into crafted sets like Aughlid's to replace some of the pieces in the EHP slots (Shoulders, Feet).

There is a GREAT monk gearing guide from Shifty here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo3Monks/wiki/ros-general-gearing

Any advice for me? :D

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/yimc808-1960/hero/46018541

scy

I disagree with your sentiment regarding shard of hate, but I'm curious why you think % element would be nerfed.

Humorously, I find Elemental Damage is quickly approaching the point where people don't assess the situation before just going "Elemental Damage, must be an upgrade." Simmer down, there are still stats to be balanced around for best damage.

TheYanger

I think it just looks like 100% proc since these WW barbs are dual-wielding and have fast attack speed.

No. It was flat out 100%. Which is CLEARLY a bug. I can stand there and swing with any attack in the game at nothing and shoot a spray of lightning every time.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
No. It was flat out 100%. Which is CLEARLY a bug. I can stand there and swing with any attack in the game at nothing and shoot a spray of lightning every time.

The funny thing is that it's such a clear bug you'd expect it to get caught during QA right?

Blizzard has all the proc coefficients for all their abilities out there, you'd think they'd just have some random dude test the community made item for an hour or two to see if it was proccing correctly.

And you'd think that said person testing an item would notice that it was proccing 100% of the time without fail after testing it out with one or two skills. Then you'd think by the time they get to testing it with channeled items they'd figure something was really wrong with it.

Sure it was broken, but it's not like this whole thing couldn't have been completely avoided if blizzard wasn't negligent.

Gear: Start assembling gear that stacks elemental dmg. Go through the torment of farming a Ring of Royal Granduer and start working on crafted set pieces and/or found set pieces. You have a lot of "vanilla' legendaries but nothing cohesive to build around. I would spend blood shards on helms (get an Andy's or GNK), rings (SOJ) and belt (Vigor or Witching Hour). You have a lot of resist all pieces on your gear and you should move away from that stat as you craft your gear as much as you can. It crowds out skill dmg/toughness stats vs. stacking your OWE resist.

Again, follow Shifty's guide I linked in the other post. It's great.

Skills: Desert Shroud instead of Inner Fire-I can see this on a HC character or in a grouping character, but you're not hardcore nor do you have Cyclone Strike/EP (the thing that makes Monks not deadweight in groups), so that looks a little odd. Inner Fire is some seriously good AOE damage and you still get the CC immunity with Epiphany with that rune. My earlier comments about WOTF:FOF apply also to your generator, and I do not like Transcendence without health globe gear unless you are so low paragon level that you can't put enough points into Life on Hit for sustain. I don't think I can understate how good Fleet Footed is when farming at the appropriate level of content. It really speeds up your clear time dramatically.

edit: Regarding Shard of Hate. I don't have one, but this was an embarassing bug that they had no good way of fixing. Blizzard just has to take it on the chin from the reactions to the code fix from the community and move on. A far worse situation would be to do nothing and have players constantly wonder in the future if a new item with questionable behavior is worth investing hundreds of hours of time to build around.

joesmokey

Finally got a worthy lightning ammy to drop :D.
8ouLZHF.png

Feel pretty good about my setup now: +86% lightning damage, +13% electrocute, and +13% wave of force.

I also got another storm crow helm to drop, but I can't bring myself to DE it.

I think all that's left that I really want to try for is getting good rolls on building a Cain's set for gloves and pants. I've made two gloves but both had terrible rolls.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Aeglos7-1318/hero/41640549

A real level 70 chest would also be nice to see.

traveler

Not Wario
The funny thing is that it's such a clear bug you'd expect it to get caught during QA right?

Blizzard has all the proc coefficients for all their abilities out there, you'd think they'd just have some random dude test the community made item for an hour or two to see if it was proccing correctly.

And you'd think that said person testing an item would notice that it was proccing 100% of the time without fail after testing it out with one or two skills. Then you'd think by the time they get to testing it with channeled items they'd figure something was really wrong with it.

Sure it was broken, but it's not like this whole thing couldn't have been completely avoided if blizzard wasn't negligent.

I assume this particular leg was fast forwarded through development due to being created by the community towards the tail end of development.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Difficulty in Diablo 3 is basically measured in frustration, and most people don't think the game is fun when you're getting shat on by annoying elites. Thus making the requirement for getting the best gear tolerance for frustration would just end up with the same mess the game was originally in.

Glad to see SOH get nerfed. When items are that good, it hurts the game because it makes other builds less viable in comparison. One build becomes the default build.

bacon do u want my new fate of the fell?

simple, blizzard logic.

got a nice build you're having fun playing? we'll take a look at it.

I disagree with your blizzard sentiment, but even if I did agree, nerfing one rare and very OP weapon isn't the same as nerfing a damage stat for every class and every build.

Cynar

I share the same view point. It was fun while it lasted but it needed to be fixed.

Radec

I disagree with your blizzard sentiment, but even if I did agree, nerfing one rare and very OP weapon isn't the same as nerfing a damage stat for every class and every build.

they already did it with AS. completely destroys 90% of DH back then. It was fun seeing them die in pubs though.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I assume this particular leg was fast forwarded through development due to being created by the community towards the tail end of development.

I'd be inclined to agree if it wasn't for the fact that they released a spotlight article on the D3 website back in February I believe? The item has been in development since at least the beginning of winter. Since the community legendary thing was announced in october. It's not like it's hard to QA these things properly, test to see if stats are applying properly, test to see if proc is working properly.

Sure I don't work at blizzard, but I've done software QA and I'd assume the general QA etiquette is similar enough. Make sure it works the way you want it to, then release. Otherwise omit, which is what they did with the arcane shards ammy and other legos that weren't working right. (I tihnk?)

The only thing I can think of was that there was some time sitting there debating whether or not it was worth fixing in the first place.

Lmao this has to be it. But now they've gotta deal with the backlash.

GorillaJu

simple, blizzard logic.

got a nice build you're having fun playing? we'll take a look at it.

No. It's bugged, it's getting fixed. Read the item description, it's not supposed to have a 100% proc rate. The fact that a single item can increase your damage output by 300% should tip you off that something isn't right.

I have one, by the way. No sour grapes here. It breaks the game and needs to be fixed.

cdyhybrid

Gear: Start assembling gear that stacks elemental dmg. Go through the torment of farming a Ring of Royal Granduer and start working on crafted set pieces and/or found set pieces. You have a lot of "vanilla' legendaries but nothing cohesive to build around. I would spend blood shards on helms (get an Andy's or GNK), rings (SOJ) and belt (Vigor or Witching Hour). You have a lot of resist all pieces on your gear and you should move away from that stat as you craft your gear as much as you can. It crowds out skill dmg/toughness stats vs. stacking your OWE resist.

Again, follow Shifty's guide I linked in the other post. It's great.

Yup, already bookmarked it. Thanks for that.

Skills: Desert Shroud instead of Inner Fire-I can see this on a HC character or in a grouping character, but you're not hardcore nor do you have Cyclone Strike/EP (the thing that makes Monks not deadweight in groups), so that looks a little odd. Inner Fire is some seriously good AOE damage and you still get the CC immunity with Epiphany with that rune. My earlier comments about WOTF:FOF apply also to your generator, and I do not like Transcendence without health globe gear unless you are so low paragon level that you can't put enough points into Life on Hit for sustain. I don't think I can understate how good Fleet Footed is when farming at the appropriate level of content. It really speeds up your clear time dramatically.

I typically don't group very often, I'm perfectly content just farming solo. I'll try switching my Epiphany rune to Inner Fire. Desert Shroud made Epiphany my "hit 3 and burn down this elite without worrying about dying" cooldown. I'm Paragon level 67 at the moment, so not enough to max out any particular point allocation. Switched Transcendence to Fleet Footed, and my few utility Paragon points into Life on Hit - currently at 16/50, or +1320.4.

I'll also give WOTF a shot. Is Fists of Fury worth using over Spirited Salvo?

Thanks!

TheYanger

I'm not surprised the shard of hate got missed. It's a strong weapon for anyone, as it should be, but it was only flat out retard level broken with specific skills and interactions. I do think it's funny that people equate nerfing an item that is literally BROKEN and functioning contrary to both the tooltip and every other item in the game, with blizz just nerfing fun or viable builds. There are lots of viable builds that don't rely on whirlwinding around with shards of hate.

Ashodin

It's exactly the same as in a game like Magic: The Gathering. A card that's broken gets passed over in development, and they gotta fix it. Same rationale here.

dengatron

fire barbs do more damage anyways. learn the ways of call of the ancients and volcano with hammer of the ancients. shard of hate was just allowing people to do torment levels they weren't geared for. if you had 400k dps and some lightning damage, and a shard of hate, you would be t2-3, instead of struggling with torment 1 like you should be.

Agreed on the first one.

Can we also ask for a "bug fix" for the Enchanter and it giving you two of the same affixes in a roll?

God yes, I've never wanted to punch a videogame character as much as I wanted to punch her.

Oh you're rolling off Vit?

How about....

431 Vit
and
455Vit

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Oh man the forums are going nuts.

Reminds me of the whole diretide fiasco with dota, thing people are just fed up with all the nerfs to anything and everything have finally put people on edge, and this SoH nerf is simply the last straw.

Diablo isn't WoW (this would be like claiming warglaives of Azzinoth were bugged and too strong and then retroactively nerfing them for those 1% of players that actually obtained said "legendary"), the game loses its charm with constant nerfs/changes. How awful is it to spend weeks farming, get excited about an item, and then read it was hotfixed a day later? It takes the excitement away from actually searching for cool legendaries (since 99% of them are dogshit anyway).

And this is coming from someone without a shard of hate, mirror amulet, or shrine gloves.

fire barbs do more damage anyways. learn the ways of call of the ancients and volcano with hammer of the ancients. shard of hate was just allowing people to do torment levels they weren't geared for. if you had 400k dps and some lightning damage, and a shard of hate, you would be t2-3, instead of struggling with torment 1 like you should be.

This is the problem. SoH made WW/lightning barb actually viable and allowed it to compete with fire barb/earthquake. Now fire is the de facto king, and every barb has to gear towards that if they want to do anything above t4.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm honestly embarrassed for most of the people posting on the official forums right now, I haven't read so much idiocy in awhile. Apparently the expansion is now terrible and Blizzard have once again screwed the community over and failed to deliver on promises.... because they fixed a bug.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I'm honestly embarrassed for most of the people posting on the official forums right now, I haven't read so much idiocy in awhile. Apparently the expansion is now terrible and Blizzard have once again screwed the community over and failed to deliver on promises.... because they fixed a bug.

Pretty sure blackthorne's droprate is bugged can we hotfix that? How about fixing negatively bugged items like fulminator or %dmg not affecting elemental weapon damage (a bug that probably won't be retroactively fixed because reasons). How about the horde of glorified rares that are considered legendaries that are salvaged everyday by 90% of players, can we bug-fix those to actually be decent?

SoH was a fun legendary that actually felt legendary, bug or no bug.

JCizzle

The behavior is ridiculous, I agree, but they need to be much more proactive about communicating these things. Once you realize SOH is broken days after release, let people know the fix is coming rather than waiting weeks and dropping it out of the blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom