• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When posting about new information, could you guys at least link to it? What's happening with Shard of Hate?

It was proccing 100% of the time, with off-hand hits and with attacks that have an attack speed multiplier like Whirlwind or Tempest Rush it was triggering a fuckton

It'll only trigger now by its own hits obviously and it'll be effected by the proc coefficient of the attack being used

Low Tier
You gotta realize, the wand of woh is essentially an item that says "+300% explosive blast damage" the build is not even remotely the same without it.

that doesnt make sense though I have almost every other piece in his build. Is one item really the difference between a viable build and a non-viable build? I feel like that's really unfair on Blizzard's part. No legendary should be so build defining imo

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone crying over the SoH fix on the official forum, it's hilarious. It's not like they actually nerfed it, they just fixed the bugs causing it to overperform.

traveler

Not Wario
The reaction to the SoH nerf in that blizz post is kinda absurd. Saw the same stuff when core run got nerfed, frozen orb got "fixed"- that Blizz should just buff everything not on the level of the subject in question up to it. While they might be a legit approach to a functioning, well tuned item/skill/class, these things are clearly game warpingly broken (with the possible exception of frozen orb) and kill both the longevity of the game- something I'm not necessarily a fan of, but that's a separate issue- and the desire to play other classes/specs/runs. Game balance is important, even in single player experiences. If anything, I wish other devs balanced their single player games post release as much as Blizz. (BioShock Infinite melee combo of doom I'm looking at you)

that doesnt make sense though I have almost every other piece in his build. Is one item really the difference between a viable build and a non-viable build? I feel like that's really unfair on Blizzard's part. No legendary should be so build defining imo

I don't like that certain skills do feel pretty useless without legs, but, stepping back from it all, it is pretty hilarious we've gone from wanting build defining legendaries in vanilla to this.

Dahbomb

They have many Legendaries like that. In fact, some skills are even balanced around the existence of such items meaning without them they are bad but with them they are amazing.

Case in point Monk's Seven Sided Strike. It is one of the few moves in the game to have both a high resource cost and a high cooldown. This makes it very hard to use in most builds but there's a Daibo that reduces it's cooldown by 50%. Suddenly this skill becomes pretty insane, enough to make a whole build around it.

joesmokey

Okay.

How about making some other non-shitty weapons at some point? And is this "ignoring the proc scalar" bit going to apply to all the other 100% proc rate weapons (e.g., Staalgard's)?
My monk friend is pretty livid with these changes, says it'll knock him back down to T1. Seems like a crazy thing to take away at this stage (assuming the changes are that impactful).

Cipherr

Its funny you say that, because one of the things a lot of us requested the most in early vanilla E3 were 'build changing items'. Loot that could literally change the entire way you spec/play your character. The wand is one of those items.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I had an Odyn Son drop for my monk, but it rolled shit damage. The +lightning skills rolled max though, and it would push me to +111% lightning damage. I haven't tried testing the proc yet on the Odyn, so I dunno how much damage it does. Would the +lightning and Odyn proc make it better than the Fumigator, despite the shitty damage roll?

eWmAxfc.jpg

The odyn actually has more damage (better for skills that arent bound to attack speed)... but less dps due to attacks per second

Dahbomb

My monk friend is pretty livid with these changes, says it'll knock him back down to T1. Seems like a crazy thing to take away at this stage (assuming the changes are that impactful).
What Torment was he farming with it?

His gear must be pretty bad if he can only farm T1 without SoH.

scy

I don't like that certain skills do feel pretty useless without legs, but, stepping back from it all, it is pretty hilarious we've gone from wanting build defining legendaries in vanilla to this.

I think it's more just a case of wanting more build defining Legendaries and not just a handful. Or just fewer vanilla Legendaries. At least, that's my take on this situation anyway.

It's a bit early to be making these statements (unless they're a TR Monk / WW Barb I guess) until we see how they function in practice. Like, Shard of Hate was really good. It's still really good. It's still just going to beat many weapons because it has "your attacks sometimes deal an extra 200% Damage attack" attached to it.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I can't wait for blizzard to fix these two bugs:

*Fixed a bug where any set other than Blackthorne's and Legacy of Nightmares drop.
*Fixed a bug where two-handed weapons drop for Crusader and one-handed weapons drop for any other class.

joesmokey

What Torment was he farming with it?

His gear must be pretty bad if he can only farm T1 without SoH.
He was doing T3 farm, but yeah I'm not sure how his overall gear is. Main complaint of his is that it takes away his main source for aoe damage. Could just be how is current build setup is.

traveler

Not Wario
I think it's more just a case of wanting more build defining Legendaries and not just a handful. Or just fewer vanilla Legendaries. At least, that's my take on this situation anyway.

It's a bit early to be making these statements (unless they're a TR Monk / WW Barb I guess) until we see how they function in practice. Like, Shard of Hate was really good. It's still really good. It's still just going to beat many weapons because it has "your attacks sometimes deal an extra 200% Damage attack" attached to it.

I'd say it's more build warping than defining. The proc is so strong that putting together well thought sets and skills with all kinds of synergies simply can't beat just using a proc damage with a high coefficient attack. That's not thoughtful, it's not skillful, it's just not interesting. Hell, I'm still waiting on the fire chain on my max to get nerfed (and the fire demon health to get buffed, on the other side) because it simply feels so much better than the rest of the spec I've got, work be damned. Leg's should encourage building, not render most of your choices meaningless in the face of how straight up broken they are.

Low Tier
They have many Legendaries like that. In fact, some skills are even balanced around the existence of such items meaning without them they are bad but with them they are amazing.

Case in point Monk's Seven Sided Strike. It is one of the few moves in the game to have both a high resource cost and a high cooldown. This makes it very hard to use in most builds but there's a Daibo that reduces it's cooldown by 50%. Suddenly this skill becomes pretty insane, enough to make a whole build around it.

But then why doesn't Blizzard simply manually reduce the cd and remove that affix from the game? Its not really fair that the majority of the players will never be able to play these builds and be pigeon-holed into cookie cutter builds.

Dahbomb

I can't wait for blizzard to fix these two bugs:

*Fixed a bug where any set other than Blackthorne's and Legacy of Nightmares drop.
*Fixed a bug where two-handed weapons drop for Crusader and one-handed weapons drop for any other class.
Agreed on the first one.

Can we also ask for a "bug fix" for the Enchanter and it giving you two of the same affixes in a roll?

But then why doesn't Blizzard simply manually reduce the cd and remove that affix from the game? Its not really fair that the majority of the players will never be able to play these builds and be pigeon-holed into cookie cutter builds.
They obviously think SSS is too good with a 50% CDR (it's like 5700% weapon damage). This weapon was actually nerfed from the beta... it used to reduce the cooldown completely. I was telling people this would be OP and unsurprisingly Blizzard nerfed it before I even got to try it!

Yeah it's not fair especially when you can only acquire these items through RNG. Not only that but these build changers are also among the rarest items. And some build changing items can't be acquired through the gambler (as they are sets and you need more than one to enable a build). It's essentially their carrot on a stick for the game... it's supposed to keep you playing so that you find that mythical Legendary that changes the way you play.

traveler

Not Wario

Could the same argument not be made for any build changing legendary? Are we through the looking glass completely?

Sure, ideal scenario, every skill is perfectly balanced and viable pre-legendary, with legendaries just altering the way you play them or making certain combinations of them more effective. I want this and I'm pretty sure Blizzard does too, but I can't see them ever getting the balance that correct.

scy

I'd say it's more build warping than defining. The proc is so strong that putting together well thought sets and skills with all kinds of synergies simply can't beat just using a proc damage with a high coefficient attack. That's not thoughtful, it's not skillful, it's just not interesting. Hell, I'm still waiting on the fire chain on my max to get nerfed (and the fire demon health to get buffed, on the other side) because it simply feels so much better than the rest of the spec I've got, work be damned. Leg's should encourage building, not render most of your choices meaningless in the face of how straight up broken they are.

Sure, I don't think I disagree that Shard of Hate is build warping.

I don't think that changes my statement, however, that the game could use some more viable build defining Legendaries.

jns

Agreed on the first one.

Can we also ask for a "bug fix" for the Enchanter and it giving you two of the same affixes in a roll?

Only two? Nothing makes squint more than trying to roll X away and getting TWO options to roll.....X.

I blew through 25'ish souls last night and I swear that happened at least 3 goddamn times ...

Still, My DH has had some ok luck, so I'm not going to spill too many tears http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Pwnan-1520/hero/22355483

Dropped magefists. Immediately tempered my excitement when I realized all the possible ways they could be crap. And they were. Hopefully the next pair I get a month from now will be better.

traveler

Not Wario
Sure, I don't think I disagree that Shard of Hate is build warping.

I don't think that changes my statement, however, that the game could use some more viable build defining Legendaries.

Yeah, I can agree with that. I want to see some more pieces to sort of even out the elemental builds- basically some stand-in for cindercoat, not the same effect exactly but something like it, for other elements. Lightning rides almost solely on the strength of its procs; in general, fire seems to be so much more advantageous, class synergy aside, than every element other than lightning.

And once they get the elements on even grounds, I want to see them head the opposite direction and build legs that aren't at all about elements. I think they were needed to build the framework for all the elemental builds we have right now, but it'd be nice to have effects that don't just have you easily slotting them into your fire set, light set, holy set, etc. once elemental equality is reached.

Dahbomb

that the game could use some more viable build defining Legendaries.
Since every skill in the game has a Legendary that alters it.. how would you change some of the existing neutral Legendaries to be "build changers"? I wonder if we can come up with some ideas just for the hell of it.

I will suggest one:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/the-ancient-bonesaber-of-zumakalis

This item comes with Life on Hit natively. So I would give it a secondary effect like:

"Your Life on Hit now does 100x it's value in Physical damage. You no longer gain Life on Hit"

So if you have 20K Life on Hit, this will do like 2 million extra damage. Not that absurd on high torment level but would give you more incentive to stack LoH with this weapon along with Physical damage. This will proc off of the LoH coefficient from skills so it won't be too absurd.

DinHerio

Banned
Now I'm happy SoH never dropped. RNGesus wants to protect me from an unavoidable loss along with corresponding deep sadness.

Still need a TF,
or two

Had some great games with toastyToast, xanathus and thalnathu from GAF a few days back.

I was farming Act 1 cache all these while...accumulating like 10+ cache and opening them at one go...trying to get Ring of Royal Grandeur....to no avail.

Last night, while I was on a rift run, I noticed an unopened cache and just decided.."WTH, let's open it!". Lo & behold, out pops a Ring of Royal Grandeur. Too bad it can't be trifecta-ed even with enchant, but it's still awesome enough. Time to further improve my Wand of Woh wiz!

scy

Since every skill in the game has a Legendary that alters it.. how would you change some of the existing neutral Legendaries to be "build changers"? I wonder if we can come up with some ideas just for the hell of it.

I will suggest one:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/the-ancient-bonesaber-of-zumakalis

Well, Bonesaber used to be the other +Attacks item so I'd either go with a special IAS% property or make it into the +Arcane Weapon personally. Or do something with the name reference, I guess.

Just should have less of these weapons that have no actual Orange text.

Anyone got any suggestions for my Lightning Monk? Any wasted opportunities in my skillset, stuff that needs to be upgraded, different passives, etc?

I'm already in the process of trying to get a socket on my Odyn Son

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/robotzombie-1891/hero/37336279

Can't for the life of me find a good secondary weapon

Skills:

Consider moving over to Way of A Hundred Fists : Fist of Fury. Even with your lightning damage bonuses, you'll do more damage and gain spirit better with that generator. It isn't until much later in gearing that you will reevaluate to a Lightning-based generator.

You might want to look into some movement speed skills-Fleet Footed over Chant of Resonance, and MOC: Annihilation instead of Overawe. You'll farm faster.

Regarding gear-you've got a good a good mainhand with that Odyn's. You really just need to grind rifts for blood shards and toss them into belts to get the Lightning belt. That would be a big DPS boost. You should start looking into crafted sets like Aughlid's to replace some of the pieces in the EHP slots (Shoulders, Feet).

There is a GREAT monk gearing guide from Shifty here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo3Monks/wiki/ros-general-gearing

Baliis

Just got around to seeing the shard of hate fix. God I love the official forums. The amount of rage and shitposting there I amazing.

Whatever, weapon needed to be nerfed. Maybe now they can focus on making the classes not suck regardless of what weapon they have.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
That feel you will never experience owning a pre-nerf shard of hate and how it feels to wreck everything

;_;

Azulsky

Yeah TR always looks good clearing trash mobs.

My beef with TR is that if Epiphany is on cd then its less useful against elite packs than permastun from LTK is.

Especially when you are looking at T3+ when you need Inner Sanctuary + Forbidden Palace so you can tank ground effects with all that dodge....

This bug was around since the loot 2.0 patch. They said they would fix it next patch so I assume they completely forgot about it.
I've not had a problem getting her to show up though. Would maybe take me three or four Caverns to show up. Today I ran fifteen of them. No sign of her what-so-ever.

I understand the gem drop rate has one of, if not the worst, drop rates in the game since 2.0. She's never been this overall afk for me though. So I didn't know if they said fuck it, changed her spawn rate, then cranked the gem drop to 100 (and I didn't get the memo).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom