• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Begaria

Thank you based Kadala
for nothing!

They should at least let us choose which 1h weapon we want. This is ridiculous.

2014-04-1613_42_18-dirjb2e.png

Agreed. I hope Blizzard is aware that their line of "Kadala was created to give players more control over their drops" is ironic in the sense that the 1H and 2H weapon gambling is utterly pointless because it drops from too big of a pool. They definitely need to break 1H and 2H into the different weapon types. I'd love to run Rifts endlessly and gamble all of those shards JUST on 2H Swords to have a chance at rolling a decent Maximus. As it stands right now, it's figuratively a shot in the dark to even come close to getting one through gambling.

Edit: Oh, looks like they are aware of it!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12505810597?page=1

From Grimiku (Blizz CM)

Hello, everyone

I've spent my share of Blood Shards on weapons, and I definitely understand where you're coming from. I'm happy to pass this along in our next meeting, but in the meantime I have a question for you.

Would it be alright as it currently is if the unusable weapons were removed?
If its not enough to simply remove the unusable weapons then what else would you like to see changed?

I'd still rather see specific weapon types.

Kadala has given me nothing aside from two of the same shitty set boots, ive never seen a single legendary, if this were dark souls id have killed her by now

hobart

I know its been said - but I am a little in shock as to the expectations I've been reading regarding drops and upgrades. Maybe its because I come from the days of yore... and I quit the game because I found it was not rewarding outside of defeating Diablo on its highest level when THAT was an accomplishment.

For me the game is very exciting. The prospect of KNOWING a legendary will drop and that it POSSIBLY will be an upgrade excites me. Sure - the likelihood NOW of it being an upgrade is small compared to a couple weeks ago - but I know for a fact that the possibility is there.

I also have very short term goals that I can reach in the meantime. I have gear that is not optimally rolled that, after collecting some souls and a good amount of gold, I can properly roll on. I also have an excellent collection of legendary craftable sets that I can farm mats for and make BETTER versions of the gear I currently have.

And, what truly interests me, is the prospect of a game altering item dropping that will completely change my build. Happened for me last week. SoJ dropped with 20% fire damage. I'm natively a lightning monk............ time to test out a new build.

Point is -- right now I'm comfortably rolling T2 Rifts with GAFFers and I *think* we are having a decent time doing it. I applaud and cheer when someone with me gets something worthwhile. We trade if we need to. We laugh. We kill. Would I like the challenge of higher rifts? Certainly. But it's not time for that. And, really, the game isn't DIFFERENT at a higher difficulty -- it's just scaled.

Still having fun and still enjoying the community. Let's temper expectations slightly -- we've been in a MUCH worse situation before.

Begaria

Reaper of Souls has been pretty amazing for me so far. I've geared my Barb up pretty quickly and can comfortably do T2/T3. I've got half a stash tab of decent legendary and set items that don't quite fit my current build, but if I ever wanted to try a different play style I could with those items. Loot 2.0 has been fairly generous to me so far and I'll give an example: my very first kill (at level 70 on T1) of Mathael dropped the Reaper plans, the material, AND the Cindercoat I wear to this day. It's a pretty good Cindercoat to, and it's what I built my Barb around.

Running rifts with friends or even pubs have been pretty fun, and bounties are a good in between kind of thing to do. No matter what I do in D3 right now, it's always furthering my character's growth either through paragon points, having a chance at legendaries, or just finding materials for enchanting and crafting. I'm having a blast playing RoS.

Just wondering, if I exceed 50% CHC should I leave it as it is or redirect the paragon points to CHD/IAS? right now as a DH I feel like my Hatred regen is low due to IAS (37%), in particular when there's an elite/boss requiring high mobility I'm constantly out of it.
Here's by char:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Link-2866/hero/102681

I reverted to Danetta+quiver because I needed the IAS and the toughness. My other 1H has none.

Without a cindercoat or prides fall helm, I wouldn't use CA as it just saps your hatred way too fast. But, if you want to use, get rid of bat companion and use prep - punishment. Here is my DH. I can run t1-t2 rifts in about 10 minutes and almost never run out of hatred/disc and Im not even using a generator. If/when I get a pride fall helm, Im going to scream like a girl at a Justin bieber concert.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/hellmonkey-1619/hero/2687745

My sheet dps is a bit low, but I have +75% fire, + 34% CA, and + 42% to elites. My CA crits elites for 25-32M and with my gear, I can shoot 14 CAs before Im out of hatred and disc without picking up a single health globe.

foxdvd

I understand RNG is RNG...but over the last 3 days my legendary drop rate has vanished. My son and I did 9 T1 rift runs in a row and zero legendary drops between the two of us. I finally got one on my 10th run and it was a belt with no vit or prime stat. Over the last three days I am averaging about 1 legendary every 3 hours of play. Most of my time is in rifts. Yesterday it fell to that 1 legendary in about 4-5 hours of play.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
So it turns out that the follower legendary that says they cannot die actually prevents all damage to them. That takes care of the "follower standing in the fire" downside of the follower+unity combo... turns it into a straight up 50% damage reduction.

Does anyone have the necessary items?

Tyreny

So it turns out that the follower legendary that says they cannot die actually prevents all damage to them. That takes care of the "follower standing in the fire" downside of the follower+unity combo... turns it into a straight up 50% damage reduction.

If it really works that way, expect the nerf bat.

ferr

I am considering crafting some Archfiend quivers until I get a great one, but I'm not sure if I should hold off on that and just go for a 2x 1H setup or not once I get another solid 1h. Oh the conflict. The amount of souls required to get a very good AF is dissuading me.

And can I say how much Magefist kicks ass. I know it's all the gear stacking up to form a solid build, but not since getting kridershot in 2.0 have I felt a single upgrade was so significant. Probably because it just pushed me over the tipping point to have T1 feel like butter, though.

if this is true, MegaNerf incoming in 3, 2, 1.....

Boogdud

Man the rng is a real bitch sometimes. I've gone through 3 full T2 clears, busting everything in sight clearing the entire thing even after the rift guardian and not a single legendary. Not even a soul or shit recipe. This happens a lot to me and it's very discouraging. I've gotten virtually all of my legs by doing bounties on normal..

scy

It does. Off-hand, it also is still bugged and Pride's Fall's bonus doesn't break on damage taken anymore in this setup.

Vade

No it does not work this way, I tried it out right when got a enchantress focus, you do not get a 50% damage reduction, blizzard didn't forget about this one.

Edit: I tried this weeks ago on t4 to judge some numbers and did not see the 50% reduction. Do not have a pride's fall so I have no idea about that interaction.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
No it does not work this way, I tried it out right when got a enchantress focus, you do not get a 50% damage reduction, blizzard didn't forget about this one.

Edit: I tried this weeks ago on t4 to judge some numbers and did not see the 50% reduction. Do not have a pride's fall so I have no idea about that interaction.

What probably is happening is it zeroes out all damage taken by the follower as opposed to never letting them go below 1 hp so when you combo with a unity ring, no damage is being sent back and half of your damage is absorbed

This will likely be fixed

I know its been said - but I am a little in shock as to the expectations I've been reading regarding drops and upgrades. Maybe its because I come from the days of yore... and I quit the game because I found it was not rewarding outside of defeating Diablo on its highest level when THAT was an accomplishment.

For me the game is very exciting. The prospect of KNOWING a legendary will drop and that it POSSIBLY will be an upgrade excites me. Sure - the likelihood NOW of it being an upgrade is small compared to a couple weeks ago - but I know for a fact that the possibility is there.

I also have very short term goals that I can reach in the meantime. I have gear that is not optimally rolled that, after collecting some souls and a good amount of gold, I can properly roll on. I also have an excellent collection of legendary craftable sets that I can farm mats for and make BETTER versions of the gear I currently have.

And, what truly interests me, is the prospect of a game altering item dropping that will completely change my build. Happened for me last week. SoJ dropped with 20% fire damage. I'm natively a lightning monk............ time to test out a new build.

Point is -- right now I'm comfortably rolling T2 Rifts with GAFFers and I *think* we are having a decent time doing it. I applaud and cheer when someone with me gets something worthwhile. We trade if we need to. We laugh. We kill. Would I like the challenge of higher rifts? Certainly. But it's not time for that. And, really, the game isn't DIFFERENT at a higher difficulty -- it's just scaled.

Still having fun and still enjoying the community. Let's temper expectations slightly -- we've been in a MUCH worse situation before.

You're being thrown off by the colors
most of the legs in diablo are no better than what you'd use as your average rare in say path of exile (a game that also has a huge loot rng problem but mainly because of how specific the needs (not wants, like you NEED these to use an item or you'll die and lose hours of exp) are for an item to fit into your gear set (usually you need to rebuild your entire gear and run the old balanced out res cap gear till you finish the new better set)

the beams and that orange color quickly become meaningless when they're almost always useless or even if theyroll a bit higher than rares don't have any neat procs or effects on them that have some kind of impact on how you play or do damage

I'm 407 rifts in and the beams stopping giving a feeling of anticipation a long time ago (unless it's a sword or blue boots that might be iceclimbers)

There's very little content to last : 3 hours of campaign and endless rifts; So the carrot has to be pretty good to keep people going, and imo it isn't
they have an excellent carrot up to where you get geared for t1 (which you get in a day or 2) and from then on there is no sense of progression even when you do move up to t2-3-4 as you're just using dull higher dmg modifiers against bigger meat shield healthbars

Most of the excitement initially from all the leg drops for me was mostly my imagination of all the ones I thought I hadn't found yet ) but in the end it just comes down to the same few items for all classes that are desireable to help burn down the hp bars faster

A game like wow makes upgrades exciting because they usually allow you to access new content, but since that is missing here all that's left is builds , passives and synergies to make it exciting, and 95 percent of legs just aren't interesting or useful.
Then you have 2handers diluting the pool even further for anyone that doesn't play crusader or that one specific weap for barb.
We were joking on skype a few days ago that they could make 2 hander drops exciting by making them salvage into two souls intstead of one.

Man the rng is a real bitch sometimes. I've gone through 3 full T2 clears, busting everything in sight clearing the entire thing even after the rift guardian and not a single legendary. Not even a soul or shit recipe. This happens a lot to me and it's very discouraging. I've gotten virtually all of my legs by doing bounties on normal..

1 every 3-4 runs on average sounds about what I get over time, since you can easily run 6-8 runs an hour you still do a lot of (rather tedious)runs, the real problem is that when you do get a leg it's not going to be interesting or useful, 90 percent of legs aren't legendary

Talon

Yeah, I have to say, I had a lot more fun leveling up my Crusader than I have doing these rifts.

Knowing you had gear upgrades every few levels by default was more exciting than having to fiddle about with 5% damage increases.

JCizzle

Yeah, I wish the safety net was eased a bit. Might make legs "rain" down, but I think that's a better problem than the frustrating one you and the rest of us have all encountered at some point. Sucks playing for a night and not getting anything.

Leveling from 60-70 is not fun. Getting level 61 drops (especially legendaries) is so frustrating. Is anyone (particularly wizards) using Tyrael's Might? I'm wondering if I should reroll armor to a socket. It rolled allres, int, armor and move speed. What counts as a demon?

Tom Penny

It cant' be good that whenever I see a green chest or boots drop I immediately think vendor because it's going to be a Blackthorne. Even gambling for Cindercoat I got one and couldn't give it away o_o account bound.

garath

It cant' be good that whenever I see a green chest or boots drop I immediately think vendor because it's going to be a Blackthorne. Even gambling for Cindercoat I got one and couldn't give it away o_o account bound.

:(

I've spent every shard I've gotten trying to get a Cindercoat. I've gotten a total of one Legendary chest from Kadala so far. The blackfeather I'm wearing on my DH.

I'll get one eventually!

Yeah, I wish the safety net was eased a bit. Might make legs "rain" down, but I think that's a better problem than the frustrating one you and the rest of us have all encountered at some point. Sucks playing for a night and not getting anything.

I'm not sure I'd want to see legendary rates increased, but an increase in Forgotten Souls would be nice. They're still valuable, and they allow you to tweak and improve the legendaries you already have.

Raining down legs is just going to cheapen the thrill.

scy

I'd just appreciate the ability to use a wider variety of gear. Like, most Legendary Rings are terrible by default since they have fixed affixes like Life on Hit and Armor and you're left with a Ring you can never actually get the most out of. Though I suppose part of that is just the min/max mentality of the players that didn't really carry over into the itemization design.

:(

I've spent every shard I've gotten trying to get a Cindercoat. I've gotten a total of one Legendary chest from Kadala so far. The blackfeather I'm wearing on my DH.

I'll get one eventually!

I gambled a Cindercoat on my Witch Doctor the first inventory full I tried to. Now she won't choke up a level 70 Mask of Jeram or Quaizizutiatlaliasiototals.

Insaniac

You're being thrown off by the colors
most of the legs in diablo are no better than what you'd use as your average rare in say path of exile (a game that also has a huge loot rng problem but mainly because of how specific the needs (not wants, like you NEED these to use an item or you'll die and lose hours of exp) are for an item to fit into your gear set (usually you need to rebuild your entire gear and run the old balanced out res cap gear till you finish the new better set)

the beams and that orange color quickly become meaningless when they're almost always useless or even if theyroll a bit higher than rares don't have any neat procs or effects on them that have some kind of impact on how you play or do damage

I'm 407 rifts in and the beams stopping giving a feeling of anticipation a long time ago (unless it's a sword or blue boots that might be iceclimbers)

There's very little content to last : 3 hours of campaign and endless rifts; So the carrot has to be pretty good to keep people going, and imo it isn't
they have an excellent carrot up to where you get geared for t1 (which you get in a day or 2) and from then on there is no sense of progression even when you do move up to t2-3-4 as you're just using dull higher dmg modifiers against bigger meat shield healthbars

Most of the excitement initially from all the leg drops for me was mostly my imagination of all the ones I thought I hadn't found yet ) but in the end it just comes down to the same few items for all classes that are desireable to help burn down the hp bars faster

A game like wow makes upgrades exciting because they usually allow you to access new content, but since that is missing here all that's left is builds , passives and synergies to make it exciting, and 95 percent of legs just aren't interesting or useful.
Then you have 2handers diluting the pool even further for anyone that doesn't play crusader or that one specific weap for barb.
We were joking on skype a few days ago that they could make 2 hander drops exciting by making them salvage into two souls intstead of one.

1 every 3-4 runs on average sounds about what I get over time, since you can easily run 6-8 runs an hour you still do a lot of (rather tedious)runs, the real problem is that when you do get a leg it's not going to be interesting or useful, 90 percent of legs aren't legendary

This is what led to the problem of vanilla d3. The idea that "legs were legendary" meant they had a super low drop rate, resulting in never actually getting one. Then people complained and now the drop rate is higher, and now people complain "legs don't feel legendary" You can't honestly say that in D2 when a unique ring dropped and it ended up being a nagel ring or manald that you were like "wow so legendary!"

Bottom line is people are always wanting "more better loot all the time" and it defeats the purpose of a game like Diablo. If loot was better, then you'd just gear out faster and still end up finding fewer upgrades

JCizzle

This is what led to the problem of vanilla d3. The idea that "legs were legendary" meant they had a super low drop rate, resulting in never actually getting one. Then people complained and now the drop rate is higher, and now people complain "legs don't feel legendary" You can't honestly say that in D2 when a unique ring dropped and it ended up being a nagel ring or manald that you were like "wow so legendary!"

Bottom line is people are always wanting "more better loot all the time" and it defeats the purpose of a game like Diablo. If loot was better, then you'd just gear out faster and still end up finding fewer upgrades

The legs in vanilla d3 were also inferior to rares though, if I remember correctly. The only thing legendary about them was the color.

Insaniac

The legs in vanilla d3 were also inferior to rares though, if I remember correctly. The only thing legendary about them was the color.

Yeah, but the idea behind the drop rate was that "legendary items "should feel "legendary" they just had the wrong idea and made them extremely rare, not actually interesting or powerful

Vossler

Got The Shadow's Heels to drop on my DH, and ANOTHER Blackthorne's ammy (3 now). Digging dual wielding, ashamed I played so long without two socketed 1 handers.

scy

Yeah, but the idea behind the drop rate was that "legendary items "should feel "legendary" they just had the wrong idea and made them extremely rare, not actually interesting or powerful

I'd say that this still applies for many items, however. At least they have better stat pools now.

But, that leads to the problem of adding a bunch of new fun and exciting loot. Most of the Torment difficulties are pretty trivial as is so anything really added just kind of skews things. Unless we get a T7-10 alongside the item overhaul (or those Tiered Rifts actually have some meat to them), it'll just shift the power curve some.

Then again, not really sure if that's actually a huge problem.

Discobird

Yes it does work. I found a second unity the other day (had the other items already) and can do T5 rifts without dying on my 4M toughness DH now. Still need to kite a lot and it's not very efficient but T-storm/frozen/jailer guys don't ruin my day now with their unavoidable damage.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
One thing I hope blizzard does is separates the legendary items and instead makes legendary gems which have limited use (they already have built in countdown timers for BoA) and make the same thing happen to regular gems. Then rework the way gems work now (crit damage shouldn't be a gem affix, needs regen and class specific options) and add more regular gems so socketing in head, weapon and regular equipment have same effect. Make all sockets permanent and when the timer for a regular gem hits 0, it goes down to 10-20% of its original strength.

Then have sockets on every item to allow build customization

Then they can have certain OP legendary gems consume the item it's socketed in, permanent sockets.... Then have them drop like crazy.

Have legendary gem combination plans to make the OP stuff and drastically reduce the reroll costs on the mystic and jeweler combining for regular gems.

Thennnn legendary crafting plans should be treated as a one shot deal where you can choose your affixes and the plan is consumed in the process. No procs for legendary items, just a perfect roll with all stats you want. All the legendary items can have all their stats rerolled (for cheap) but rares will only be one.

This forces a gear check and potentially constant build alterations and less about finding one or two items to become OP.

This would bring a much bigger element to all the artisans and make the tiered rifts more awesome... Because some people don't have the best of luck with those few specific items.

It would make the game really fun in my eyes because then balance would be put in the back seat as all these OP builds will be temporary. One week you would have a godly WW barb, the next week his movement speed is 50% with constant WotB.

Would be a constantly evolving end game.

I do. I got a unity last night and have the leg for my scoundrel

Just salvaged all my items. At the moment, this game is just not for me. As much as I want it to be.

I'd just appreciate the ability to use a wider variety of gear. Like, most Legendary Rings are terrible by default since they have fixed affixes like Life on Hit and Armor and you're left with a Ring you can never actually get the most out of. Though I suppose part of that is just the min/max mentality of the players that didn't really carry over into the itemization design.

This is the main problem I have with the game. Stats need to be more varied and exciting.

Having to salvage a legendary I really looked forward to getting really killed it for me. If gloves don't roll with at least crit hit or crit dmg, they're garbage. If rings don't roll with crit hit or crit dmg... garbage. Same with amulets. I feel like crit dmg and crit chance need to be reworked in order for items to have any kind of variety. And until that happens, I don't think I'll ever enjoy the item system in D3 :(

The gameplay is really fun. The combat is probably better than any other RPG of its kind. But that gets old without new items to change it up. Some legendaries have the chance to be game changers and it should be satisfying to find them. But when those items have useless stats that may as well not even be in the game because they're not in the list of required stats, I just wind up feeling frustrated instead.

Just my take on it. I know a lot of you guys like the game as is, so more power to ya.

ManCannon

Spent ~400 shards at Kadala trying to get boots, any boots, for my DH to upgrade and replace lvl 61 set boots I have been still wearing at 70 for weeks and get nothing but garbage.

Give up and re-join the group in the rift in progress.

First elite kill get a pair of Firewalkers.

Spent ~400 shards at Kadala trying to get boots, any boots, for my DH to upgrade and replace lvl 61 set boots I have been still wearing at 70 for weeks and get nothing but garbage.

Give up and re-join the group in the rift in progress.

First elite kill get a pair of Firewalkers.

Dat RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom