• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So the store claims D3 standard edition owners get a discount on the digital deluxe edition of RoS, but for some reason I don't see it applied at all. What gives?

The "discount" is just that you already paid $40 of the $60, so buying the deluxe costs the remaining $20.

scy

I don't necessarily think people find 2h most of the time over other types of legendaries, you probably just remember all the times you've gotten them because they are all awful and useless.

I have 7 Zweihanders.

I don't know what that says about anything but I have 7 fucking Zweihanders.

Nokterian

vKHVFQC.png

HYPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the yoshi hype train!

d2aa550c_boldstate-hype-train.png

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4WRBPif.gif

Dahbomb

I don't necessarily think people find 2h most of the time over other types of legendaries, you probably just remember all the times you've gotten them because they are all awful and useless.
I think at least 30% of my Legendaries are 2H, I have all my Legendaries in stash so I can just do a quick count. Granted I did run into a bad streak of 2H weapons (10 in a row).

Edit:

I just did a count... I had around 50 Legendaries in my stash and about 13 2H Legendaries. So I guess not quite 30% but still fairly high compared to other gear types.

And I have only gotten one type of Shoulder Legendary... 3 times (the indestructible one).

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
So the store claims D3 standard edition owners get a discount on the digital deluxe edition of RoS, but for some reason I don't see it applied at all. What gives?

RoS standard owners, not D3. I tried it out by purchasing RoS standard edition first and I only had to pay the difference when getting the digital deluxe.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://i.imgur.com/4WRBPif.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Some wicked air on those nose bounces. This needs some sound effects. "owowowowooo"

Kenaras

In short, with the current way scaling works, Legendary items use white items as "templates" for their base stats. However in the case of 2H, there are no level 60 white items to use as templates, so when you find a 2H legendary at level 60 you get one that used a level 57 2H as a template instead resulting in very low damage on the item. This is because with the new scaling ilevel = required level, so the better weapons are out of reach since they were ilevel 61-63.

An example: Skorn used to roll using an ilevel 63 Decapitator as template in the previous system, with the new scaling system it rolls using an ilevel 57 Valaska instead. (The highest <60 2H axe)

This is part of the problem; the other part is that weapons are still rolling +damage affixes which were balanced around ilvl 63 items. This means weapons in general have low base damage, but high affix damage. In terms of overall DPS, this situation massively favors fast weapons over slow weapons. (Old ilvl 63 weapons compensated by having tiny base DPS on fast weapons, but huge base DPS on slow weapons.)

Contrary to popular belief, this isn't an intentional, across-the-board nerf to two-handers aimed at Crusaders. Look at Demon Hunters and you'll see the same situation: their legendary hand crossbows are rolling higher DPS than legendary two-handed crossbows. Blizzard simply focused their balance efforts at level 70, and failed at balancing for level 60. WoW players should be familiar with this; every pre-expansion patch in that game had the exact same issue. The problem will go away as you level to 70. In the meantime, the slow weapons you find will likely be garbage compared to the fast ones.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Question- have you been doing a lot of COTA runs or other XP exploit-ish type stuff? I'm asking because most of the people who have jumped insane paragon levels have been doing T6 COTA or whatever the flavor of the day is, and in those runs you don't get as many items.
I've just been playing the game, sometimes I'll do a full playthrough, sometimes join rand public games, anything.

I did some COTA, but not a lot. Too monotonous. If I had my paragon would probably be much higher. Always T6 though (efficiency not an issue). I've got mules full of legendaries (I've kept every one I've found) so it isn't like I'm not finding them. I am. But the quality has been crap. None, except the 1, were game changers. Its why I laugh at the folks who say BOA is better for the game. They have no clue. How is it better for the game when a person, a legitimate player, is locked out of builds due to bad luck and the game has no mechanism to allow people to target the specific items they want and break the cycle? Its not. Third party sites aren't good, but don't throw out the baby w/ the bath water and punish everyone because of a few bad apples. They need to allow trading w/ people on your friends list when the item dropped or people in your clan when it dropped at the very least.

dLMN8R

After playing more with my Witch Doctor getting to level 15, I'm still really disappointed with Corpse Spiders. I understand it's intended to be weak at first and then build over time as you throw more bottles, but it feels like they never really add up to much. Toads are the exact same idea but far more effective. Am I missing something?

Character build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/LMN8R-1553/hero/42763177

In short, with the current way scaling works, Legendary items use white items as "templates" for their base stats. However in the case of 2H, there are no level 60 white items to use as templates, so when you find a 2H legendary at level 60 you get one that used a level 57 2H as a template instead resulting in very low damage on the item. This is because with the new scaling ilevel = required level, so the better weapons are out of reach since they were ilevel 61-63.

An example: Skorn used to roll using an ilevel 63 Decapitator as template in the previous system, with the new scaling system it rolls using an ilevel 57 Valaska instead. (The highest <60 2H axe)

This explains the issue better, but I'm still left wondering. What's a level 60 thunderfury based on as an example.

This is part of the problem; the other part is that weapons are still rolling +damage affixes which were balanced around ilvl 63 items. This means weapons in general have low base damage, but high affix damage. In terms of overall DPS, this situation massively favors fast weapons over slow weapons. (Old ilvl 63 weapons compensated by having tiny base DPS on fast weapons, but huge base DPS on slow weapons.)

Contrary to popular belief, this isn't an intentional, across-the-board nerf to two-handers aimed at Crusaders. Look at Demon Hunters and you'll see the same situation: their legendary hand crossbows are rolling higher DPS than legendary two-handed crossbows. Blizzard simply focused their balance efforts at level 70, and failed at balancing for level 60. WoW players should be familiar with this; every pre-expansion patch in that game had the exact same issue. The problem will go away as you level to 70. In the meantime, the slow weapons you find will likely be garbage compared to the fast ones.

Awwe

jkanownik

You need fast weapons anyway in RoS due to the fact that life steal goes away and you have to rely on life on hit. My awesome life steal Skorn was useless in the beta.

Shouta

Hrm, got a new version of the Inna's Radiance just before I left for work. That new set bonus is sick. I need to get the set again.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Edit: never mind, not sure I've figured out the whole affix problem myself, lol. Oh well, won't matter in a few days.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
After playing more with my Witch Doctor getting to level 15, I'm still really disappointed with Corpse Spiders. I understand it's intended to be weak at first and then build over time as you throw more bottles, but it feels like they never really add up to much. Toads are the exact same idea but far more effective. Am I missing something?

Character build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/LMN8R-1553/hero/42763177

Witch Doctor feels the most incomplete at low levels imo. Having said that, you're only a few levels away from queen spider, which makes one giant spider, and its more like a pet you have to summon semi frequently.

Ashodin

This patch is just so so good. IceMarker got me some sick Legs last night.

First Firewalkers, then Natalya's Embrace, and I couldn't believe it when I saw the neck that slows and pulls drop, as well as the Warzechian Armguards. OMG MOVING SO FAST NOW

J. Bravo

I did some COTA, but not a lot. Too monotonous. If I had my paragon would probably be much higher. Always T6 though (efficiency not an issue). I've got mules full of legendaries (I've kept every one I've found) so it isn't like I'm not finding them. I am. But the quality has been crap. None, except the 1, were game changers. Its why I laugh at the folks who say BOA is better for the game. They have no clue. How is it better for the game when a person, a legitimate player, is locked out of builds due to bad luck and the game has no mechanism to allow people to target the specific items they want and break the cycle? Its not. Third party sites aren't good, but don't throw out the baby w/ the bath water and punish everyone because of a few bad apples. They need to allow trading w/ people on your friends list when the item dropped or people in your clan when it dropped at the very least.
sounds to me like you're not getting any gamechangers because your gear is already god tier. If you're running t6 without efficient issues then you're effectively in the .01% of players most likely. Upgrades are gonna be rare for you.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I just drank water with shit in it

And I am most likely gonna get sick from this

Oh my fucking god

Dizzy-4U

I have a question, if I'm looking after an specific set, let's say Inna, any chest and mob in the game has a chance of dropping them or do I have to farm specific bosses?

th3dude

They're broken because the ilvl you're supposed to get (63) is now actually set to only drop at level 63. They've said it isn't an issue at 70.

Great responses. Thank you. Makes sense. The 'fixes' they did for 2.0 couldn't be scaled to every single item type, I'm gathering, but is fixed once we get more levels.

Manac0r

I wouldn't mind finishing D3 before the expansion lands. However I'm lazy and want to play with a controller while kicking back on the couch, on my PC. What's the best way to do this? Any profiles I could download?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I just drank water with shit in it

And I am most likely gonna get sick from this

Oh my fucking god

y u drinkin sewer wata

I wouldn't mind finishing D3 before the expansion lands. However I'm lazy and want to play with a controller while kicking back on the couch, on my PC. What's the best way to do this? Any profiles I could download?

None that I know of.

Mouse mapping to the controller would be the most difficult part of it.

iso135

Man me and my buddy are having some horrible luck trying to get Hellfire rings.

I am 6 for 39 on getting a key from the Act 2 keywarden (so he has had to carry the load for getting machines.)

He is 0 for 8 on getting a Writhing Spine.

Kyonashi

So, I bought D3 at launch after being in the beta, played up to Act 3 and dropped it for about a year. Last Summer I picked it back up and finished a Normal playthrough, then went on to do Nightmare, Hell and 90% of Inferno, getting my Wiz to 60.

Now with RoS on the horizon I thought it time to finally finish that Inferno playthrough, and booted it back up. Now, I don't follow the patch updates or anything as I guess I'm what you'd call a casual Diablo player, but this Loot 2.0 patch makes things feel much more fun and the drop rates are addictive.

My problem is seeing as I never really got into the nitty-gritty of the game as I stopped playing pretty much when I hit 60, I'm feeling confused as to many parts of the game, like how some mini-bosses seem to be optional, and though I seem to be able to survive on Torment difficulty, I'm doing such low damage that its hard to fight anything serious.

Now I've tried to look at various wikis, the subreddit, etc., but the information is all quite dense to someone who didnt play D2 and doesn't know a lot of the terms.
Would any kind GAFer want to just jump on TeamSpeak or Skype with me for an hour and explain D3's endgame and finer points so that I can get more out of it and pick up RoS without feeling like a total noob? I'd greatly appreciate it.

If you want to take a look, here's my character: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Kyonashi-1329/hero/204637

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom