• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know RNG evens out over time, but I feel I'm fighting against two rolls every time. The first roll is for an item to drop in the first place and then to actually be useful. There is also no way to target improving your character since the item type that can drop is random as well and I can't target a certain enemy or boss to get something specific.

The game is all about RNG I get it and really the goal is simply get stronger so you can farm better and I'm perfectly OK with this. However I feel like I have zero control over what I can do to improve my character other than spend more time. It is far too random to continue to be enjoyable over a long period of time. I can only play the same spec for so many hours before it becomes boring and I can't switch because I need gear to drop that I have no control over.

At a certain point you get to outgear your torment (I mainly farm T1-2), but are not geared enough to move up. The content is trivial. There is no skill involved. Nothing is a challenge since the jump in challenge is not worth it and is simply a gear check (need more DPS or life). If I move up to t3, the AI isn't smarter and my opponent isn't another player. My opponent is simply more HP and more damage. I can't play the game any better or worse as the skill ceiling is so low. The goal of every spec in this and any ARPG is to make it so you have as little to worry about as possible. Kill things fast and take little damage/refill your life quickly. All I can do is spend time. It's the equivalent of sitting in front of a slot machine in Vegas. No skill, no control, all luck.

If it were up to me, I'd add an item purchase system where you can buy specific items at really high costs from a vendor. A Thunderfury for example can cost say 50 Forgotten Souls and 25m gold. It still rolls random stats, but at least you only have one RNG roll to worry about. It'd at least feel as if my time spent was leading to something rather than the possibility of improving. It would also force the developers to properly create and balance items so many things are viable since the players would have more options available to them.

Dahbomb

You do have some level of control over upgrading.

You can craft sets. Their mats drop from certain Uniques which you can easily farm. Stuff like Aughilds/Ashearas are very solid. You can craft Reapers Wraps really easily too which are among the best Bracers in the game.

You can then farm Act 1 for the Ring (among other specific Legendaries) which is a targetted farming method.

And then you can play Rifts for Shards for targetted gambling. Want that Andy, Cindercoat and Magefist? Play a ton of Rifts and gamble for that slot. I have gotten two Magefists and a Cindercoat from gambling (now working on Helms with a DH for the Andy).

The hardest part is acquiring specific weapons and class specific sets. Weapons are hard because there are so many and gambling for them is highly inefficient. There should be separate categories for different which would make acquiring the weapon you want easier. Blizzard has said that they will look into it so hopefully they make that change.

Class sets are clearly designed to be the ultimate reward in the game. Can't get from Caches, can't get from gambling and have very low chance to drop. I don't think this will change though as this is their main carrot on a stick... it's what keeps you playing. People would lose interest fast if you could complete class sets so quickly.

I think they need to revamp the rewards from Ubers though. That would be a nice 3rd aspect to the game aside from Bounties and Rifts. Hellfire Ring isn't good enough. If Ubers had like a much, much higher chance of dropping Class Sets I would honestly think about running them (something like a 200% bonus to Legendaries and a 250% bonus to class sets).

Gloves, rings and amulets are all about DPS stats. They should really have Dex, IAS, CC and CD on them. Then shoulders, belt, chest, boots are your strongest slots for effective hit points. Some of your pieces are a bit weak, like the Zodiac ring which could be replaced with a well rolled rare, but the Witching Hour and the Blackfeather are astounding.

Thanks for the feedback. I will work on tweaking some of my items a bit. I guess I should roll the VIT on my Magefist into critical damage for starters. Not thrilled about the hp loss to do that, but it is only temporary (hopefully!).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Without talking about broken stuff in the game (like WD critting for 300 million), DHs have among the highest burst damage in the game. Their main problem is survivability though.

Pretty fun class though. They have two resources unlike the other classes which makes them a bit interesting.

The best thing about that screenshot was that the 300,000,000 wasn't even a crit...

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I played a Wizard up to 30 or so long ago and wasn't feeling it. The aesthetic of the Witch Doctor doesn't do it for me, either, so that really only leaves the Demon Hunter for me. I think I'll start one up tonight!

JCizzle

White items is a big issue, I think they should just remove those requirements from crafting. You still need to get the specific orange material to drop along with souls, so it's more of a nuisance than anything.

eek5

The best thing about that screenshot was that the 300,000,000 wasn't even a crit...

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I played a Wizard up to 30 or so long ago and wasn't feeling it. The aesthetic of the Witch Doctor doesn't do it for me, either, so that really only leaves the Demon Hunter for me. I think I'll start one up tonight!

I think those act like DoTs (afaik) so they are combined crits and no crits displayed as a single white number. There is also a 1.4bil dmg in there that is getting overlooked lol

You can craft sets. Their mats drop from certain Uniques which you can easily farm. Stuff like Aughilds/Ashearas are very solid. You can craft Reapers Wraps really easily too which are among the best Bracers in the game.

You can then farm Act 1 for the Ring (among other specific Legendaries) which is a targetted farming method.

And then you can play Rifts for Shards for targetted gambling. Want that Andy, Cindercoat and Magefist? Play a ton of Rifts and gamble for that slot. I have gotten two Magefists and a Cindercoat from gambling (now working on Helms with a DH for the Andy).

The hardest part is acquiring specific weapons and class specific sets. Weapons are hard because there are so many and gambling for them is highly inefficient. There should be separate categories for different which would make acquiring the weapon you want easier. Blizzard has said that they will look into it so hopefully they make that change.

Class sets are clearly designed to be the ultimate reward in the game. Can't get from Caches, can't get from gambling and have very low chance to drop. I don't think this will change though as this is their main carrot on a stick... it's what keeps you playing. People would lose interest fast if you could complete class sets so quickly.

I think they need to revamp the rewards from Ubers though. That would be a nice 3rd aspect to the game aside from Bounties and Rifts. Hellfire Ring isn't good enough. If Ubers had like a much, much higher chance of dropping Class Sets I would honestly think about running them (something like a 200% bonus to Legendaries and a 250% bonus to class sets).

Yes at low levels you can do that. Crafting was one of the first things I did. However, finding crafting recipes is also random. Someone can theoretically not find the one they need.

I'd argue not finding class sets would also cause people to lose interest (like me). I can only spend so many hours farming the same thing over and over the same way. It is absolutely brainless.

I know RNG evens out over time, but I feel I'm fighting against two rolls every time. The first roll is for an item to drop in the first place and then to actually be useful. There is also no way to target improving your character since the item type that can drop is random as well and I can't target a certain enemy or boss to get something specific.

The game is all about RNG I get it and really the goal is simply get stronger so you can farm better and I'm perfectly OK with this. However I feel like I have zero control over what I can do to improve my character other than spend more time. It is far too random to continue to be enjoyable over a long period of time. I can only play the same spec for so many hours before it becomes boring and I can't switch because I need gear to drop that I have no control over.

Add to that fact that there's definitely some weighting going on. Some items are a lot more rare than others.

Then you have the fact that some items require certain stats to roll in order to be useful. Crit dmg and crit chance are WAY too strong on gear and pretty much requires you to get those on your items whenever possible. That leads to a lot of great legendary items becoming completely useless.

But I've bitched about this plenty enough. Stat variety in this game is definitely lacking.

Celegus

Is there a list anywhere that shows what specific materials come from specific monsters? I have no clue about any of that business. I've found a lot of plans and materials, but hardly any that actually match up yet. And what's this about an act 1 specific ring?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
White items is a big issue, I think they should just remove those requirements from crafting. You still need to get the specific orange material to drop along with souls, so it's more of a nuisance than anything.

They drop often enough that it doesn't bother me too much, other than them taking too much space in my bank. I've got like 2 or 3 of each slots(gloves, pants, etc.) in my bank.

Is there a list anywhere that shows what specific materials come from specific monsters? I have no clue about any of that business. I've found a lot of plans and materials, but hardly any that actually match up yet. And what's this about an act 1 specific ring?

I use diablohub.com for finding which rare drop specific legendary materials. They also tell you in which Act you can find them. Just type the material name in the search bar and there you go.

jblank83

What do you guys think about set items?

They're some of the best items in the game.

Aughild's is a necessity for every character. The level 70 class sets are great. There are a lot of really good 2 or 3 item sets that can be fit into any player's kit. Even better is that. as said above, you have some say in crafting a set (assuming you have the plans). That means you can set a goal for yourself, ("I need 3 of X material, these gems, those white ascendeds, etc") and move to and through that goal, without waiting on a completely arbitrary RNG to give you that one legendary you need.

These days I get more excited when I see a green drop than an orange.

Celegus

I use diablohub.com for finding which rare drop specific legendary materials. They also tell you in which Act you can find them. Just type the material name in the search bar and there you go.

Thanks! I had no clue they added act/boss specific items to the game, that will definitely help since I have some pretty cool looking plans.

scy

Yes at low levels you can do that. Crafting was one of the first things I did. However, finding crafting recipes is also random. Someone can theoretically not find the one they need.

I'd argue not finding class sets would also cause people to lose interest (like me). I can only spend so many hours farming the same thing over and over the same way. It is absolutely brainless.

At low levels? Barring the few really good full sets and Legs, the crafted sets are basically ideal equipment for most slots.

At low levels? Barring the few really good full sets and Legs, the crafted sets are basically ideal equipment for most slots.

This is a personal thing, but yeah I consider anything other than class sets (the stuff you actually want) to be low level. No one wants it and uses it to farm t1 to get the stuff they actually want. I consider t1-2 low level.

This is just semantics though. You can refer to it however you want but the idea is no one wants that. A couple pieces are good, but a full set of crafted gear isn't getting you to t4+ efficient runs afaik. The crafted gear is also for the most part not fun. The set pieces allow you to switch up your style which is another thing I discussed and it keeps the game fresh. There should be multiple sets that each allow you to play your class differently.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I just got a near perfect Witching Hour:

6jwoogI.jpg

scy

This is a personal thing, but yeah I consider anything other than class sets (the stuff you actually want) to be low level. No one wants it and uses it to farm t1 to get the stuff they actually want. I consider t1-2 low level.

This is just semantics though. You can refer to it however you want but the idea is no one wants that. A couple pieces are good, but a full set of crafted gear isn't getting you to t4+ efficient runs afaik. The crafted gear is also for the most part not fun. The set pieces allow you to switch up your style which is another thing I discussed and it keeps the game fresh. There should be multiple sets that each allow you to play your class differently.

I can do T4-T5 solo. Asheara's, Aughild's, Crimson are damn good sets. Aughild's is like the ideal way to move into T3-T5.

They are the best way to gear into the mid-Torments.

Edit: Just got a Blade of Prophecy ggggggggggg oh god

and now a Gyrfalcon's guys why is my RNG good today

There's zero variety in how you farm as well...
I've crafted wraps, got an aeshera set for each main stat, all chars to 70 (didn't take long with hellrift boosting thankfully) to be able to try out some varying playstyles without them being behind a 100 hour grind wall for the right items and got a str, int and dex grandeur ring

so now all there is left to do is rifts, over and over and over again

A few weeks ago I would mix things up with some chest runs some miniboss farming etc but that is now gone

even vanilla had more variation because at least there there was a point in mixing your farming up with mother runs and act resets

they NEED to add some form of variety, some farming spots some bosses some kinds of events or *gasp* some actual new content so there is more to do than run the same few tilesets in the same format a thousand times
I thought tera lacked content at release but this is in a whole other league

They should also vastly increase the leg drop chance on higher torments to actually make them worth doing (if you can run t2 more than 30 percent faster than t3 there is no point in running it on t3as it just makes gathering your set/build specific items even slower)
That would give you some incentive to gear up beyond being able to farm challengeless t2-3 runs 5-10 percent faster so you can get more items to farm them 5-10 percent faster

the highlights for variety this past week have been boosting some friends through hellrifts then taking them on a t1 mathael kill for their free legendary
something to do other than open a new rift for the (literally) 450th time

OT: could anyone on EU give me some crusader advice ingame? It's the only class I've not taken a proper look at yet and I've quite a lot of gear saved up for my sader from playing barb
finicky#2766

JCizzle

They drop often enough that it doesn't bother me too much, other than them taking too much space in my bank. I've got like 2 or 3 of each slots(gloves, pants, etc.) in my bank.

That's my problem, the space. I have a whole tab full of useless white shit just in case I get a recipe that needs it!

Totakeke

I can do T4-T5 solo. Asheara's, Aughild's, Crimson are damn good sets. Aughild's is like the ideal way to move into T3-T5.

Well congrats, guess they'll be nerfed soon. :p

Apparently FotH: Fissure has a problem with being cast at too high attack speed, sounds like it's probably affecting you.
https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12504791171

Also people seems to be saying Phalanx: Bowmen isn't affected by Provoke: Charged Up. Seems to be true.

And back to my random comment. I've never found an Aughild's plan. Crafting is just as random in that you can't find a plan you want. You're again facing 2 RNG rolls. One to find the recipe and one to get stats you want.

I'm curious to see what your gear looks like if you're moving through t5 with Aughild's.

Bizazedo

And back to my random comment. I've never found an Aughild's plan. Crafting is just as random in that you can't find a plan you want. You're again facing 2 RNG rolls. One to find the recipe and one to get stats you want.

I'm curious to see what your gear looks like if you're moving through t5 with Aughild's.

Yeah, but you can't find the same plan twice. So again it goes back to the "Play More!" answer.

Totakeke

Getting crafting plans is easier the more you play since the ones you already get can't drop again. And I'm sure that they do have some kind of a shared drop rate otherwise people with no plans would get a lot of them at the beginning.

the highlights for variety this past week have been boosting some friends through hellrifts then taking them on a t1 mathael kill for their free legendary
something to do other than open a new rift for the (literally) 450th time

This week to break away from my lightning Wiz I rerolled my TF (which was kindly given to me by a random Crusader that didn't need it. <3 him forever) into STR and crafted my Barb everything I could (so spent lots of time farming mats. Screw the dataminer). Then later in the week gave a WD all of my wiz gear. These things did help keep me entertained. However, while it was a fun distraction that's all it was since it's not efficient like running with the character that the gear actually fits.

This does make me believe that if there was something else I could do to target specific gear and appropriate specs, I could play this game for a long time. At this point it's a struggle to gear one.

Dahbomb

You never get the same crafting recipe twice and after enough play time you get them all. This is not even close to being an issue in the game.. in addition there's a vendor that can spawn who can sell you these plans (hard to find apparently).

Also your comment about crafting only good for low level is untrue. Aughilds/Asheara are best in slot type items and they are the type of items that move you from T3 to T4/T5. They are end game and thus high level. Other items like Devastator, Utar's Roar and Reapers Wraps are also potential best in slot items.

It seems that you are only really talking about the tippity top tier of people and those people already have full sets. For those people Tier Rifts and Ladders are supposed to be where they put their time.

I do agree that farming methods can use more variety. Bounty caches should be reflective of the difficulty you acquire them in. Ubers need to be more rewarding.

In any case I am not too worried.. acquiring loot will only get easier as time progresses with these changes. They will keep tinkering with Rifts as well.

scy

Well congrats, guess they'll be nerfed soon. :p

Apparently FotH: Fissure has a problem with being cast at too high attack speed, sounds like it's probably affecting you.
https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12504791171

Also people seems to be saying Phalanx: Bowmen isn't affected by Provoke: Charged Up. Seems to be true.

the tragedy, though I'm fairly sure that combo did work since there was a damage jump when I first ran the two. Hrm.

And the Fissure one may be the case, I'll play around with that some. But, barring solo times with Unstoppable Force, I don't really just hold it and cast too often. Still, the only notable thing here is that fixing it would increase my DPS so I'll take it :x

You make it sound like Aughild's has bad stats or something. They're still Legendary stat values. The set gives 7% Melee/Ranged reduction and +/- 15% Elite Damage. Anyway, my current gear.

the tragedy, though I'm fairly sure that combo did work since there was a damage jump when I first ran the two. Hrm.

And the Fissure one may be the case, I'll play around with that some. But, barring solo times with Unstoppable Force, I don't really just hold it and cast too often. Still, the only notable thing here is that fixing it would increase my DPS so I'll take it :x

You make it sound like Aughild's has bad stats or something. They're still Legendary stat values. The set gives 7% Melee/Ranged reduction and +/- 15% Elite Damage. Anyway, my current gear.

you do t4 with that gear? (you meant to link the sader profile right?)

seems like i need to put my barbs lightning gear on my sader than to try this as I have better gear than you, with my current fire gear on crusader the damage feels pathetic even on t1(even though it's quite nice gear except i'm missing a chestpiece)
maybe my spec is just horrible idk

scy

My bad I meant to type Ashaera's (which I use). Aughild's I don't have. Freudian slip.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/ShadowStar-1741/hero/1425579

Mine. How long does it take you to get through t4 compared to t2 or 3 rifts?

T4/T5 is really slow when soloing so I usually just don't bother. T3 is still the comfort zone for groups but that's mostly a function of my friend's list DPS not all being T4 capable. Tanking T3-T5 on the Crusader for parties is more-or-less fine.

you do t4 with that gear? (you meant to link the sader profile right?)

Curious how much better your gear is than mine then.

Dahbomb

Scy's Crusader can do T5 (probably T6 too). Don't be fooled by the sheet DPS and other stuff... stuff like Shard of Hate and Fissure do good damage and he has a ton of burst healing (Life per Wrath spent) on top of a crap ton of mitigation. Plus his Followers have great gear too especially the all skill Legendaries.

Asheara's final set bonus is extremely underrated.

scy

I'm curious how it'll be with the BoP (or now the 2700+ Maximus I just got). Guess I need to start rolling for perfect Andy's and Cindercoats.

On the bright side, no more weapon sadness.

Edit: I just remembered / realized that I need to go back and fix my Follower gear. welp.

traveler

Not Wario
Yeah, maybe I need to switch as well. I don't feel like my solo t4 clear times are good enough to ever warrant doing it over t3, (much less even touching t5) but I do feel like my gear has almost topped out for my build. Could use a Royal Grandeur for 4 piece Ash and a better ammy with fire dmg where the 4th primary affix is now, but other than that I'd need pretty much the same gear I have with slightly better rolls.

Profile: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Gray-1737/hero/43836336

(Falling Sword is in the build to trigger Vaxo at will, as their cds match up nicely, as well as just general repositioning for fire chain and the like)

As the classes strongest assets lie in its cd based skills, Akarat's Champion, and the t6 set bonuses, all of which fire underutilizes compares to other elements, I think I need to work on building that side set over my current set now.

Dahbomb

I just saw Scy's profile stats.

LMAO @ 600K DPS and 3 million toughness. What a joke the profile stats have become.

In game performance is nothing like that. Effective DPS is probably closer to 50 million per second and toughness at 15 million.

Basically it's almost as much damage as my DH with the passives and Cluster Arrow spam. Only my DH can't play T4 without someone in the front lines distracting enemies.

Svafnir

I just saw Scy's profile stats.

LMAO @ 600K DPS and 3 million toughness. What a joke the profile stats have become.

In game performance is nothing like that. Effective DPS is probably closer to 50 million per second and toughness at 15 million.

Basically it's almost as much damage as my DH with the passives and Cluster Arrow spam. Only my DH can't play T4 without someone in the front lines distracting enemies.

Agreed the ingame stats don't say much at all. All these new legendary affixes and the basic elemental/skill just makes it almost useless.

Kyoufu

What do you guys think about set items?

They are great but as with the other items, the drop rates are utter shit, so it's not something I can even think about getting any time soon.

I think I'm feeling burned out. I wish they'd at the very least make the Rift Guardian drop a guaranteed legendary. There are so many trash legendaries in the game that it become a "problem".

T4/T5 is really slow when soloing so I usually just don't bother. T3 is still the comfort zone for groups but that's mostly a function of my friend's list DPS not all being T4 capable. Tanking T3-T5 on the Crusader for parties is more-or-less fine.

Curious how much better your gear is than mine then.

That's kind of what I've been saying. You can do t4+, but its not worth it. I would not consider your gear t4 capable.

Ogawa-san

I think I'm feeling burned out. I wish they'd at the very least make the Rift Guardian drop a guaranteed legendary. There are so many trash legendaries in the game that it become a "problem".
A guaranteed forbidden soul would be good enough to make me feel those rift keys weren't completely wasted.

Also nice so I could use reforging. Reforging a legendary should not be as rare as getting one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom