• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSmalls84

Had a pretty good weekend gearing my Witch Doctor.

Found:
Mask of Jeram
Stone of Jordan

and was gifted a solid pair of Zunimassa Boots.

On a side note did anyone else notice there is a Set item called the Mask of Jeram that looks exactly the same as the legendary version? I think the only difference is that the Set version does not have the Pet Damage bonus. Still strange that the same item was reused for a set without a skin or name change.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So what do you guys think of the theory that the chance for rerolling stats is weighted.

Meaning, if you're trying to reroll vit into a socket on a weapon and you've got 9 possible outcomes on the reroll, instead of sockets being a 1 in 9 chance just like all the other possibilities, you've got a 5 times higher chance of rolling vit than you do sockets.

I figure it makes sense, especially after the terrible, and traumatic experience rerolling my SoJ a while back.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
As far as I can tell, it's just the same affix weight for drops.

How do you mean that?

As in when drops are ID'ed the chances of them having certain stats is more common than otherwise?

Or that some drops are more common (blackthrones) than other drops (MLW)?

It is really amazing how some of you guys are able to put so man hours in that game. That is dedication I guess.

Some guy in my guild is doing 10+ hours almost every day. It's absured, I play quite a bit (generally 2-3 hours a night after work, few more on days off) but I cant even fathom doing that much. Funny thing is, he isnt gaining on me in paragon levels. #efficiantfarming

Firemind

Have the full Asheara set now and meh. People were talking like it's 100% uptime, but it's more like 50%. Now clue what triggers it. Sometimes it's quick, sometimes it's slow as shit.

Dahbomb

How do you mean that?

As in when drops are ID'ed the chances of them having certain stats is more common than otherwise?

Or that some drops are more common (blackthrones) than other drops (MLW)?
It's yes to both.

You have a higher chance of rolling main stat and Vit on a piece of item than Crit chance/crit damage.

That same principle applies to Enchanting/Crafting.

Blackthorne being a neutral set drop is far more common than a class specific set (like an Inna's Chest for example).

There's a Fire immunity Amulet that's supposed to be among the rarest items in the game. I honestly have not seen anyone have it.

eek5

Have the full Asheara set now and meh. People were talking like it's 100% uptime, but it's more like 50%. Now clue what triggers it. Sometimes it's quick, sometimes it's slow as shit.

Their combined buffs are pretty good though even if they aren't around all the time. Enchantress droppin down hex fields like crazy and their damage output is decent if you have them geared up.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
It's yes to both.

You have a higher chance of rolling main stat and Vit on a piece of item than Crit chance/crit damage.

That same principle applies to Enchanting/Crafting.

Alright yeah, I had a feeling about this. Though I kind of wish this wasn't the case. The point of the mystic is that the RNG should be more "even" you know? I wish that stuff like this was more advertised, so when you go to the mystic and you click on the "?" to see options vit shows up in green because it's likely you'll get that roll on your first shot while crit shows up in red or orange because it's hard to obtain.

scy

There's an internal cooldown which is what makes the uptime not as high. The proc rate itself, though, is absurdly high.

TSM

Apparently the game has decided I no longer need blood shards anymore. I played for several hours trying to get Larra's Diary to spawn with no luck (thanks for tying achievements to the RNG Blizzard). I did it in adventure mode completing quests as I pointlessly checked the Deserted Cellar in the Black Canyon Mines. I decided to go try my luck with Kadala and I notice that I only have the 2 blood shards I started the day with. I shut the client and launcher down, restarted everything, tried a couple quests and the same thing. No blood shards for me.

Haven't played since it came out and I stopped after beating Normal. And I was ADDICTED to Diablo II and played it up to 2010 actively. Downloaded and looking forward to playing this week. Hope these positive reviews of the new patch resonate with me.

When I'm spending blood shards, does it decrease the odds of good drops if I spend them all on random-slot gear (head, shoulders, legs, etc)? Or should I spend them on a certain gear slot at a time? (Probably a dumb question though)

V_Arnold

When I'm spending blood shards, does it decrease the odds of good drops if I spend them all on random-slot gear (head, shoulders, legs, etc)? Or should I spend them on a certain gear slot at a time? (Probably a dumb question though)

I am pretty sure that there is no inverse entropy in place when it comes to gambling loot in Diablo. Which means that all your purchases have an independent, albeit very low chance of giving you a legendary. So it does not matter.

I am pretty sure that there is no inverse entropy in place when it comes to gambling loot in Diablo. Which means that all your purchases have an independent, albeit very low chance of giving you a legendary. So it does not matter.

Got it, thanks. That's what I assumed, but I don't wish to anger the rng gods haha.

scy

Apparently the game has decided I no longer need blood shards anymore. I played for several hours trying to get Larra's Diary to spawn with no luck (thanks for tying achievements to the RNG Blizzard). I did it in adventure mode completing quests as I pointlessly checked the Deserted Cellar in the Black Canyon Mines. I decided to go try my luck with Kadala and I notice that I only have the 2 blood shards I started the day with. I shut the client and launcher down, restarted everything, tried a couple quests and the same thing. No blood shards for me.

Just to clarify, you were finishing multiple bounties in a single run? The first bounty finished in an Act doesn't net you shards or fragments.

Lain

Lain, not sure why you would be upset with that Cindercoat.. You reroll the WD skill bonus to 3 sockets. You'll learn that any chest armor without 3 sockets is basically trash. Not even worth considering. You reroll whatever you can to get 3 sockets. Always.
Oh, I wasn't upset, just felt weird to get it with a WD mod while I was playing my wizard. I'll turn the mod into 3 sockets soon as I have souls, which is my bane, I've spent a lot to get 3 socket on the set chest and all I managed was 2 QQ.

Did you salvage it because you can roll WD mod into 3 sock lol

Obviously not! I just stashed it away for the time I go fire (and have souls to reroll sockets).

Haven't played since it came out and I stopped after beating Normal. And I was ADDICTED to Diablo II and played it up to 2010 actively. Downloaded and looking forward to playing this week. Hope these positive reviews of the new patch resonate with me.

Get your affairs in order. You're going to be MIA for a while, addicted to D3.

Skunkers

Eh. Most of them come from Rifts and Horadric Caches, not individual Bounties.

TSM

Just to clarify, you were finishing multiple bounties in a single run? The first bounty finished in an Act doesn't net you shards or fragments.

Ah, that explains it. Good to know. It would have been nice to know before I spent several hours doing it though.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Get your affairs in order. You're going to be MIA for a while, addicted to D3.

The D3 addictions usually fade after about a month. Vanilla had a lot more to keep you going but for the worst reasons if you ask me haha.

When the game first came out and inferno was basically impossible post act 1, the gear / gold grind felt like it had a purpose. To actually be one of the few that could beat inferno.

Basically because vanilla was a broken mess and your only way to progress was to exploit farm or hit it big on the AH to get enough for some key pieces to let you do inferno properly, it had the side effect of giving you an actual purpose to the grind.

Now it just seems really empty. Once you reach the point where you've plateaued in gear, so your only upgrades are one of those super cool pieces that let you build around them you sort of begin to wonder what's the point of moving forward? Why bother running rifts if you're just gonna walk out with more forgotten souls and nothing to use them on? Why bother farming mats if all you're gonna do is run rifts faster? Sure there is T6 to aspire to but that feels like such a long way away and it's almost completely reliant on RNG to get there.

Even building a hellfire ring now doesn't seem as big of a deal as building one pre RoS was. So it feels like no one cares to run or do machine runs, but for good reason.

I know people hate Blackthorne, but I've only ever found 2 of them (both chests unfortunately) and since I can't get any other set to drop, I wouldn't mind another piece dropping just to hit the 3 pc bonus with the ring and I can shuffle my crafted stuff around. I finally get another piece and they're the pants! Too bad they're rolled with WD stats on my Wiz.

God... damn it.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
The D3 addictions usually fade after about a month. Vanilla had a lot more to keep you going but for the worst reasons if you ask me haha.

When the game first came out and inferno was basically impossible post act 1, the gear / gold grind felt like it had a purpose. To actually be one of the few that could beat inferno.

Basically because vanilla was a broken mess and your only way to progress was to exploit farm or hit it big on the AH to get enough for some key pieces to let you do inferno properly, it had the side effect of giving you an actual purpose to the grind.

Now it just seems really empty. Once you reach the point where you've plateaued in gear, so your only upgrades are one of those super cool pieces that let you build around them you sort of begin to wonder what's the point of moving forward? Why bother running rifts if you're just gonna walk out with more forgotten souls and nothing to use them on? Why bother farming mats if all you're gonna do is run rifts faster? Sure there is T6 to aspire to but that feels like such a long way away and it's almost completely reliant on RNG to get there.

Even building a hellfire ring now doesn't seem as big of a deal as building one pre RoS was. So it feels like no one cares to run or do machine runs, but for good reason.

i can basically say the same for any rpg game, u can basically simplify anything, ok lets do raids what for ? to fully equip my char then what ?

every rpg/mmo suffers from fuck all to do when your fully geared up unless u wanna tear the place up (which lets face it why wouldnt you ? you just spent hundreds of hours/ money getting to that point to just say fuck it im done ? )

bigb0ss

Banned
I think I maybe done with D3 until the next expansion. The most fun was leveling a crusader with my friend who played a wizard. Bosses dropped 100% legendaries that were actually good and meant for your class. As of right now, too much grind and not enough reward.

I was going to work on my yard yesterday, but thanks to unexpected rain, I decided to watch NBA playoffs and play D3 at the same time. I spent all day (8+ hours) playing running rift/bounties and I got 3 legendaries that were all crap. I have magic find in the helm slot and magic find rings.

Here are my suggestions to improve the game (I'll submit this later, using their feedback thing):

- Rift bosses should drop a legendary at a certain percentage depending on difficulty, if not then it should drop a forgotten soul 100% along with 50 blood shards.

- Enchanting should let you choose what you want replace and what to replace it with. Let the values be up to RNG. I don't want to switch Vit 543 for Vit 333 or Vit 467! It's also too expensive currently.

- Kadala should have the option to gamble or purchase legendaries. Make the price 5000 blood shards for gear (ran 100 rifts to get the item in this example). Weapons can cost 10000 for 1 handers and 15000 for 2 handers.

- Allow trading. Seems like common sense.

I would understand if the game was subscription based and the horrible drop rates keep you coming back/paying monthly. aka WoW. People will just hit a wall and feel that RNG is keeping them from progressing their character. Reward players for their time otherwise they will just quit out of frustration.

Edit: I'll wait and see how the PS4 version is. It may be fun to play it local co-op with friends gauntlet legends style.

Tom Penny

Guys, help me with a Tempest Rush monk? I tried it and thought it was so much fun! I'm not sure if I'm doing it right though.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/sammfaria-1552/hero/42050715

I'm not an expert but use Ephiphany inner fire rune. You will see why. Also fist of thunder is horrible. Use way of a hundred fists. Fist of Fury is really good. Things that give you spirit regen will also help you maintain tempest rush longer.

Miletius

Well, that's probably been the most productive D3's ever been in the course of an hour. Got 2 piece born, not perfect, but good enough to replace my current gear. Enchanted them decently (not perfect). Then decided, hey why not, and gambled some gloves, got a decent magefist, rerolled IAS to crit almost right away.

Now up to 625k paper dps, with 29 percent extra fire damage. 47.9 percent reduced cooldowns, didn't manage to get reduced on the shoulders yet, but going to keep on trying.

Uh, I guess reapers' wraps are next, along with a cindercoat. Probably going to need to replace a ring too, and ammy, but my ammy is pretty decently rolled for a rare so it might be tough to replace.

Guys, help me with a Tempest Rush monk? I tried it and thought it was so much fun! I'm not sure if I'm doing it right though.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/sammfaria-1552/hero/42050715

I'm playing Tempest Rush monk right now. Basically you need to use tempest rush + epiphany plus inner fire. Your goal is to reduce your cooldowns so that you can be in that mode as much as possible. A secondary goal is to get enough spirit regen to sustain tempest rush indefinitely, and not have to use any spirit generators at all.

Here's a link to my profile if you want an idea of how to gear yourself: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Miletius-1828/hero/43452835

Realyn

Played T1 rifts today for about 6 hours. Usually took me about 3-6 minutes to clear it solo depending on the map and whether I got a speed/conduit shrine or not. Was really hoping for a second Unity ring so I can start playing T5 without too much trouble. Instead got a shit ton of scources.

HFBWp2j.jpg

Obviously happy about the Mirrorball, but even as much about the Oculus. Perfect tele rolls and nice stats aswell - quite good for speedfarming.

Whelp. Back to work tomorrow.

edit: I also got something between 40-50 Forgotten Souls.

traveler

Not Wario
Random crazy idea of the day- what if the hellfire ring was moved to act 1 and ring of royal grandeur was made the machine ring?

traveler

Not Wario
Got a darklight today and said screw it- completely respecced and brought in all my lightning gear over my fire gear. Farmed a light based Reaper's Wrap and went full fissure build. It's not as tanky, it's not as lethal, and it's not as efficient, but I don't even care. 1 handed Crusader just feels so much better that I'll take the farming loss and drop back down to T2 till I can get the gear to make either this spec or another viable 1 hander spec T4 worthy.

Shouta

Got a darklight today and said screw it- completely respecced and brought in all my lightning gear over my fire gear. Farmed a light based Reaper's Wrap and went full fissure build. It's not as tanky, it's not as lethal, and it's not as efficient, but I don't even care. 1 handed Crusader just feels so much better that I'll take the farming loss and drop back down to T2 till I can get the gear to make either this spec or another viable 1 hander spec T4 worthy.

1H is hella fun with Crusader, especially if you get a good build going. It's really fast and you're mobile. You also free up that passive slot so you don't have to use heavenly strength.

My Cru is 1h and I'm not going back to 2H unless I get something ungodly good, lol.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I may give Crusader a bit of a rest and bring up my Wizard or Barb. I love the class, but I'm having poor luck with drops that walking away from the class for a bit may do me some good (besides running Rifts with Shouta and what not).

Insaniac

Some guy I played with had a blessed shield build with Jekang Board and Gyrfalcon's Foote and it was ridiculous. Guy was soloing T4 rifts with me and my friend just tagging along, being relatively useless (I tried to help but he was melting things before I could do anything significant)

Nokterian

Getting tired of the unoptimized performance. Having a GTX780 and when there is a lot density on screen the whole game cripples. Even clan chat with all those legendary's are slowing everything down.

SmugFox

I've been using darklight for almost 2 weeks now with the FOH - Fissure. I love the mobility of the 1H. Sadly I haven't received an upgrade in about a week and a half of constant rifting, so I may just take a break from D3.

Dec

Getting tired of the unoptimized performance. Having a GTX780 and when there is a lot density on screen the whole game cripples. Even clan chat with all those legendary's are slowing everything down.

I ran into a bug with sound channels leading to bad performance. Turning it to 16 or 32k fixes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom