• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

V_Arnold

Dat hyperbole.
If you kill stuff fast, might as well have Life On Kill, since it doesn't take up a primary affix slot.

A combination of LpS (for when you move between pack), LOH (for when you actually need sustained healing) and LOK (for when you just finish a pack) works wonders when paired with high health and good armor/resists. Hyperbole or not, I think that people just vastly underestimate the effect of LOH when paired with the right skills. Doing bigger damage numbers might be more flashy, but not always the most beneficial.

The Cowboy

It depends on the build then. Teleport has a 100% LOH coef per target. Electrocute (the melee variant) is not too bad on it (around 8-10% per target). Arcane Mines have a higher coef as well. 20-30k heals per bombs going off.
I'll agree with that (pretty much depends on build), my WD for example uses only paragon point healing (adjusted due to 1700 LoH from one badly re-rolled mask) and due to the dogs leeching beasts and my thing of the deep mojo i don't need regen on items. i have around 25+ yards pickup radius (20 yards from the mojo alone), meaning my attacks/dog attacks heal me for LoH (from paragons), i also get the LpS (from paragons) and any health that drops almost anywhere on screen is instantly picked up for big heals (due to pickup radius mojo).

Grampasso

question: has ANYONE here gotten a legendary from a cursed chest/shrine? i don't think i've ever seen one. i never skip them though because i feel like they might drop one someday. to me, they just don't feel like worth doing. most of them are easy and don't even give anything good.

they should make them a bit more challenging and offer better loot. right now it's just kill 100 enemies or 5 waves. what if it kept spawning more and more until you failed and each wave gave better loot chances?
Got a leg from one of the 100+ monsters spawning from the chest event and another one from one of the elites spawned from Nemesis Bracers

...I'm so jealous. I found my first piece of the Zuni Set yesterday, with Zunimassa's Pox. I wish I'd found the armor, though. I'd rather have a Ring of Royal Grandeur + SoJ, but I suppose this will have to do for now!
I shouted and ran around the house like Crazy.
Zunimassa's set gonna be hard to get, but god dam leathel! Gonna grind some more for mask of Jarem

Sanctuary

So, for maybe the last eight days I'd been gambling for a Cindercoat for my Wizard. 20k shards and nothing. A friend of mine was also wanting one for his DH.

Not even thirty minutes at 70 and one dropped for my DH. Only two sockets and another crap stat (which was rerolled to Vit, since it could not get Res All), but it's better than nothing. It had +18% fire damage and 30% cost reduction.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I've been running a little experiment since Saturday.

On friday it took me nearly 4 hours of rifts to get a legendary to drop, I found that really weird and rather unusual.

Well since I logged off nearly instantly after getting my trashthornes for the day, when I logged on the next day I decided I will only do one rift each day for a week and see how many days of only doing one T2 rift a day it takes for me to get one legendary.

I don't really know what this is going to prove but I am really curious, especially since I believe that the "no legs timer" does not tick while you're offline like most people seem to believe it does. Otherwise I would have gotten 3 legendaries by now and so far I have nil.

I believe that it's going to create a weird scenario where on the day I get a legendary it will be on the first elite pack I see or the first chest I open.

But we shall see what happens.

It depends on the build then. Teleport has a 100% LOH coef per target. Electrocute (the melee variant) is not too bad on it (around 8-10% per target). Arcane Mines have a higher coef as well. 20-30k heals per bombs going off.

On my barb I have 1800 life on hit from my grandeur ring (unwanted stat i rerolled the other unwanted stat to crit chance) , 0 from paragon points and 0 from other gear
I 'd much rather stack some health globe bonus since it synergises really well with my heal per fury spent passive and I don't need to waste valuable primary slots with much better stats to get it.

with 17k armor and 1000-1370 all resist (and still 100 more to gain from crafting some better roll aughilds shoulders with AR on them) I can happily stand in the beams/lava/explosions on t3 for the fury gain

I also have 0 life on kill

crusaders most likely also don't give a shit about life on hit as they get a similar passive

on my wiz I'd rather stack resists and some armor to get the most out of audacity, I can get plenty of life per hit from paragon

Sanctuary

I've been running a little experiment since Saturday.

On friday it took me nearly 4 hours of rifts to get a legendary to drop, I found that really weird and rather unusual.

Well since I logged off nearly instantly after getting my trashthornes for the day, when I logged on the next day I decided I will only do one rift each day for a week and see how many days of only doing one T2 rift a day it takes for me to get one legendary.

I don't really know what this is going to prove but I am really curious, especially since I believe that the "no legs timer" does not tick while you're offline like most people seem to believe it does. Otherwise I would have gotten 3 legendaries by now and so far I have nil.

I believe that it's going to create a weird scenario where on the day I get a legendary it will be on the first elite pack I see or the first chest I open.

But we shall see what happens.

There's no way that the theorized "rest timer" works at all. It's complete RNG. Otherwise, we would all be seeing something as soon as we logged on; always. Which is not the case. If anything, all that possibly happens is that it is still keeping track of your last play session and how long it was since your last drop. That's why sometimes when you log on, if you had a previous crummy night, you could see something within the first thirty minutes. Or conversely, if you logged right after seeing a drop or two, the next time you play it could take up to three hours (really bad day) to see something drop.

Rifts are still mostly shit. You'll have people going on and on about how great they are because they got some random goldy item or some other person that they heard about got six legendaries in one rift. They aren't factoring in averages at all. On average, rifts suck and the only reason to do them is for shards, which typically end up netting nothing useful either. If you really want legendaries per hour, doing quick sewer runs gives you more than rifts ever do. The downside is that the experience is terrible.

Firemind

Anything that Im killing fast enough for LoK to be relevant is unlikely to damage me enough for me to need healing. Its in those rough champ packs where you get 2 at once in a rift or something that sustain shows it value. Whether it be LPS or LOH, or a combo of both, they have their worth in high Torment where things don't just fall over dead in 12 seconds.

They have added stuff like Thunderstorm that you cannot really 'dodge' or 'outplay'. You eat that first tick of damage regardless. Same with the frozen AoE before the explosion/freeze, and Jailer.

But you can use the primary slot to up your DPS so you can kill stuff faster and make LoK more relevant. Min-max, brothers.

That's why sometimes when you log on, if you had a previous crummy night, you could see something within the first thirty minutes.

What happens if you decide to stop playing but just alt-tab out of the game and AFK in town until the game logs you out? Is it keeping track of that and considering that "time without a legendary drop?"

Sanctuary

What happens if you decide to stop playing but just alt-tab out of the game and AFK in town until the game logs you out? Is it keeping track of that and considering that "time without a legendary drop?"

Who knows. They might have a guard in place of such a scenario. I've only ever done that once, so there's no pattern in that regard that I've noticed.

Blizzard site is down, was it any patches/maintenance scheduled for today?

The only scheduled maintenance was for World of Warcraft/Hearthstone. Glad it affects all games. There's no blue posts on the Diablo forums about the game being down.

https://twitter.com/BlizzardCS

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

This is an interesting point and something I might consider testing next week, I've heard that the timer only ticks if you're actively in combat. But anecdotal evidence (my friend who is always online but always afk unless he's actually at his PC always get a bunch of legs whenever he comes back after hours of afk, it has been like this since release) would indicate it doesn't work like this.

There's no way that the theorized "rest timer" works at all. It's complete RNG. Otherwise, we would all be seeing something as soon as we logged on; always. Which is not the case. If anything, all that possibly happens is that it is still keeping track of your last play session and how long it was since your last drop. That's why sometimes when you log on, if you had a previous crummy night, you could see something within the first thirty minutes. Or conversely, if you logged right after seeing a drop or two, the next time you play it could take up to three hours (really bad day) to see something drop.

I wish blizzard was just more transparent about the way it works but clearly I can see why they aren't willing to open up about how it works since it would probably cause people to alter their play style and play time to fit more in line with the timer, which would lead to forum posts like THE TIMER NEEDS A BUFF / WHAT'S THE POINT OF PLAYING WHEN THE TIMER ISN'T ABOUT TO GIVE ME A LEGENDARY?

Some how I feel like the timer works so that scenes that it doesn't actually do anything and only kicks in when your luck is really in the shitter.

Meaning it won't even begin to trigger until you've gone multiple hours in combat without having seen any leg drop.

DSmalls84

For My Witch Doctor Pet build is it better to stack IAS than elemental damage? I was thinking of rerolling my SOJ from 16% Fire to 6-7 ias. From most guides I read Attack speed seems to be king for sycophant procs.

Sanctuary

The irony is, that timer may as well just drop you a soul. They need another timer for real upgrades. Not another two-handed axe or sword, ad nauseum. I can't really complain too much I guess, since my Wizard actually has a really good (not BIS) Arcane setup, but there's still a lot of room for improvement (3rd Vyr's piece for the 4pc bonus, SoJ, another weapon or off hand so I can actually play another spec, etc).

Question for those you crapping on kadala and not getting anything in 500-1000 shards. How much more often do you want her dropping stuff? You can do Expert diff for the double shards and clear rifts in 5 minutes. You should easily be able to get 500 shards in an hour or so. I usually get a leg every 2-3 stashes worth. There been a few times Ive gotten 2 in one stash.

As easily and as fast as you can stockpile shards, I think her droprate is fine. If youre going for weapons or jewelry, then the shards go super quick, so I guess it can feel underwhelming. But so far, Im happy with her.

For My Witch Doctor Pet build is it better to stack IAS than elemental damage? I was thinking of rerolling my SOJ from 16% Fire to 6-7 ias. From most guides I read Attack speed seems to be king for sycophant procs.

You can do attack speed on your paragon points though, yeah? IMO, I'd leave the damage.

Sanctuary

Question for those you crapping on kadala and not getting anything in 500-1000 shards. How much more often do you want her dropping stuff? You can do Expert diff for the double shards and clear rifts in 5 minutes. You should easily be able to get 500 shards in an hour or so. I usually get a leg every 2-3 stashes worth. There been a few times Ive gotten 2 in one stash.

As easily and as fast as you can stockpile shards, I think her droprate is fine. If youre going for weapons or jewelry, then the shards go super quick, so I guess it can feel underwhelming. But so far, Im happy with her.

Killing speed is never the issue. Ever. And why would I bother with Expert@five when I can do up to T3 in eight or less? It's entirely about the map layout. I guess it varies by class, but for anyone who is not a Demon Hunter or Barbarian, it takes a while to get to those anemic packs that are spread out over a huge and desolate map.

Rifts are still mostly shit. You'll have people going on and on about how great they are because they got some random goldy item or some other person that they heard about got six legendaries in one rift. They aren't factoring in averages at all. On average, rifts suck and the only reason to do them is for shards, which typically end up netting nothing useful either. If you really want legendaries per hour, doing quick sewer runs gives you more than rifts ever do. The downside is that the experience is terrible.

Sewer runs? tell me more, I've got rifts coming out of my ears by now

DSmalls84

You can do attack speed on your paragon points though, yeah? IMO, I'd leave the damage.

Yeah I already have my Paragon skills in ias. I just wasn't sure how much benefit a lot of Fire damage gives since it only works with Vampire Bats and Wrathful Protector Garg. I have around 52% total Fire at this point between Amulet, Bracers, SOJ.

Sanctuary

Sewer runs? tell me more, I've got rifts coming out of my ears by now

It's nothing new really, and the old Crypt runs would probably net you similar results. I was just farming a purple landshark (or whatever they are) for some crafting materials on T3 in the Caldeum sewers. Once I started noticing the absurd amount of legendaries that was dropping, I started keeping track just to make sure it wasn't just an RNG fluke. It wasn't. It takes around five minutes (or less) to clear it, is 2-5 elite packs, 1-2 purples and a bunch of random chests and sometimes a goblin. I was consistenly getting 3-4 legendaries per hour. One of which was actually an upgrade a little over a week ago.

Like I said though, the experience sucks. Like, really bad.

V_Arnold

If you guys are bored of rifts, and want some real fun...

Go to Festering Woods, clear it, retry. Do it over and over again, until you bleed. T2/T3, but T1 works as well.

- There is a near 100 percent chance of a goblin spawning
- 3-4 Elites+2 elites in the two dungeons
- Uniques spawning that are needed for the Aughilde set (The unique ghosts).
- High chance (Somewhere between 60-70%) of the zone having cursed chests. Chests always spawn at the edge of the zone, not in the inner circle
- Plus events that are quick to complete and give you bonus XP/GOLD/legendary crafting material for some other stuff.
- Usually, there is an INSANELY HIGH normal monster density. The one you wish you had in every rift, really.

One run takes 6-7 mins. You are welcome.

The horrible lag spikes have been ruining this game for me since I only play hardcore. It's reached a point where I get so angry I just need to take a break.

I'm with you. I've been getting terrible lag spikes over the last week or so. Nothing completely game-breaking, but definitely an inconvenience. However last night the game was simply unplayable for me. 2 - 4 second lag spikes during EVERY engagement. Shit gets old real fast.

Sanctuary

That really isn't the best place for farming the materials you need if that's what you are trying to focus on. The Matriarch's Bones bounty (Act 1) guarantees that spawn, although you'll have to reset the game up to 60 times to actually get it to appear. That ghost also appears in the sewers from a chest event, and also from the same event for TMB that randomly spawns in any of the three Crypts. I actually spent two hours in The Festering Woods and only saw it once.

I'm with you. I've been getting terrible lag spikes over the last week or so. Nothing completely game-breaking, but definitely an inconvenience. However last night the game was simply unplayable for me. 2 - 4 second lag spikes during EVERY engagement. Shit gets old real fast.

Yep. It's been progressively worse for me as well over the last week. Last night too was the worst it's ever been. Or at least, the class I was playing is more sensetive to it. I just finished leveling up my DH to 70 and when trying to do speed bounties by vaulting everywhere, my character would either stand there "firing" for 2-3s before the game caught up and actually launched projectiles, or I would rubberband back in time, or shoot forward when vaulting too much. It used to only happen maybe once an hour, but last night it was literally every five minutes, and in some cases more.

traveler

Not Wario
Since bounty bag loot is presumably determined at the time you get it, does anyone know if having the group buff mf stacks when the quest is turned in affects it?

V_Arnold

That really isn't the best place for farming the materials you need if that's what you are trying to focus on. The Matriarch's Bones bounty (Act 1) guarantees that spawn, although you'll have to reset the game up to 60 times to actually get it to appear. That ghost also appears in the sewers from a chest event, and also from the same event for TMB that randomly spawns in any of the three Crypts. I actually spent two hours in The Festering Woods and only saw it once.

I farmed the set out of the Festering Woods farming. I am not saying it is the best if you just want that, but at some point, I realized that killing high density mobs, goblins, clearing always elite spawning chests (always ghost elites) as a bonus made the farming enjoyable.

The two ghosts are rare spawns (Feckler and Hawthorne), but if you need the set sometime in the future and just want to farm other things in the meantime, then I would prefer farming the Woods instead of logging in and out, in and out, without actually playing.

Go to Festering Woods, clear it, retry. Do it over and over again, until you bleed. T2/T3, but T1 works as well.

- There is a near 100 percent chance of a goblin spawning
- 3-4 Elites+2 elites in the two dungeons
- High chance (Somewhere between 60-70%) of the zone having cursed chests. Chests always spawn at the edge of the zone, not in the inner circle
- Plus events that are quick to complete and give you bonus XP/GOLD/legendary crafting material for some other stuff.
- Usually, there is an INSANELY HIGH normal monster density. The one you wish you had in every rift, really.

One run takes 6-7 mins. You are welcome.

I wish I knew of this 3 days earlier, i've been farming for aughild's mats for 2 days through boring bounty resetting:\

Sanctuary

I farmed the set out of the Festering Woods farming. I am not saying it is the best if you just want that, but at some point, I realized that killing high density mobs, goblins, clearing always elite spawning chests (always ghost elites) as a bonus made the farming enjoyable.

The two ghosts are rare spawns (Feckler and Hawthorne), but if you need the set sometime in the future and just want to farm other things in the meantime, then I would prefer farming the Woods instead of logging in and out, in and out, without actually playing.

I got what you were saying. I was just emphasizing it's more of a bonus that the ghosts can spawn, than really worth focusing on if you really want those materials.
You definitely aren't wrong about "the one you want every rift" though. It's like FFS, you're out doing random bounties or whatever and keep wondering why the fuck rifts are not like some of those areas.

Oh, it's because they have a finite amount of enemies that spawn for the entire rift that are divided among all the maps, regardless of size.

Killing speed is never the issue. Ever. And why would I bother with Expert@five when I can do up to T3 in eight or less? It's entirely about the map layout. I guess it varies by class, but for anyone who is not a Demon Hunter or Barbarian, it takes a while to get to those anemic packs that are spread out over a huge and desolate map.

Well, most people cant clear a T3 rift in 8 minutes. Exert is the lowest difficulty with double shards. If shards are all that your after, its a good place to start.

Sanctuary

Well, most people cant clear a T3 rift in 8 minutes. Exert is the lowest difficulty with double shards. If shards are all that your after, its a good place to start.

What I'm saying (again) is that it's not the killing speed really. Expert through T3 can be about the same in that regard depending on your gear. It's all about the good, or usually crappy map layout. For fresh 70s though looking for shards to get some kind of quick upgrade, I guess Expert is the place to be though.

Honestly, what takes the longest is not rift difficulty. It's the stupid bounties.

Realyn

BvXnKZZ.jpg
yay! Getting some arcane gear. Now I'm only missing 4 set pieces for perma Archon.

Dahbomb

I am going make a Monk set that is purely defensive, just in case some Tiered Rifts favor survivability over killing efficiency.

It's going to be Blackthorne 4 set bonus plus Aughilds 3 set bonus and the Amulet that gives Arcane immunity. I have all the necessary pieces/materials for it just not enough gold for enchanting/crafting. If I get Ancient Parthan Defenders I would then be unkillable even in T6.

Right now I am just focusing on getting Pride's Fall, SoJ and Asheara set for my DH. I also need better gear for Followers because everyone except Scoundrel has trash for gear.

idlewild_

Those double shards are only for bounties though. You don't get double blood shards from the rift guardians until T1.

Firemind

Good for what? The amount of times I've cleared Festering Woods, I've gotten precisely fuck all. Goblins give crap loot, cursed chests give crap loot, the ghosts rarely spawn and the exp isn't that good. It's also mind-numbingly boring to clear.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I am going make a Monk set that is purely defensive, just in case some Tiered Rifts favor survivability over killing efficiency.

It's going to be Blackthorne 4 set bonus plus Aughilds 3 set bonus and the Amulet that gives Arcane immunity. I have all the necessary pieces/materials for it just not enough gold for enchanting/crafting. If I get Ancient Parthan Defenders I would then be unkillable even in T6.

You won't even need luck on your side to get it done :p

Kidding aside, I considered this as well which is why I stashed some heavy survivability pieces aside. Something tells me that tiered rifts will kick you out if everyone in the party is dead. OR if you die you get kicked out instantly.

Either way I get the feeling survivability will be king in tiered rifts, at least if you wanna milk them for all their worth for as long as possible.

garath

It's RNG man.

I'd be very happy if I was getting the amount of legendaries you are. I'm not.

1 legendary out of 3 bags worth of items would be wonderful. I don't play as often as most of these guys but for the last few weeks I've been doing 2-3 full bags worth a night and have gotten 1 singular legendary from her. So I'm on 1 legendary for 20-30 bags worth of items?

Sure you can spam shards doing it on expert but then you'll miss out on some of the legendaries that drop in the actual rift itself.

All I know is it's frustrating to go days playing 2-3 hours a day without a single legendary drop when that's the only upgrade path left for your character. It's nice when suddenly you get a couple in a row (probably thanks to the pity legendary counter) but then it's back to frustration.

That's the nature of the random number generator. I understand how it works. Doesn't stop the frustration though.

Unfortunately there are quite a few people that put in a LOT more time than me and will subsequently see more legendaries. Similar people do nothing but easy farm shards on expert and see tons of legendaries from Kadala and claim that it's such a high drop rate compared to time farming (not necessarily you but you've pointed out that it's a viable farming method) and Blizzard has to take those type of people into account when calculating drop rates. It's a balance between keeping the diehard playing and not running off the more time constricted player.

It's pretty close to being good but I could personally see the drop rate upped especially given the amount of trash legendaries that are out there.

ElyrionX

After finding two leg Bracers from the bounty caches, I just found another leg Bracers from a regular run. I can't be the only one this is happening to. I find a fuckload of bracers goddamnit.

Those double shards are only for bounties though. You don't get double blood shards from the rift guardians until T1.

I could have sword I was getting 45+ on expert and master when I was leveling my crusader. I got 500 shards after only like 12 rifts. Certainly not the 20+ it would take if I was only getting 20-30.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
How do you guys usually do rifts? Leave once the Rift Guardian is dead and start another? Or explore every corners and clear all levels to kill the maximum number of rares and elites?

eek5

How do you guys usually do rifts? Leave once the Rift Guardian is dead and start another? Or explore every corners and clear all levels to kill the maximum number of rares and elites?

I only RIF now so I invite for boss kill then close the rift immediatley after guardian is killed and have one of the dudes open another gate for me. That way I'm always working towards a guardian kill and my time inside rifts is the same.

IF the floor is good though (high density, high elite packs) I'll usually clear it before inviting people but otherwise I never go on past guardian.

2-3 legs in 500 shards is incredibly lucky. I've gone 2200-2300 without a legendary before on 5 shard items. I've spent like 5-8k over the weekend and going 0 legs on 500 blood shards wasn't exactly uncommon.

Bounty is at expert.
BS double for rifts at master. Master->T6 all get 40-60 shards.

Yes, it's as dumb as it sounds.

garath

Clear the whole thing top to bottom. I get more legendaries from the rifts themselves than Kadala. I've gotten quite a few great drops post guardian.

scy

Just sample T5 solo tests from the morning puts it at around ~15m clears on my Crusader depending on mob types. Need a better Gyrfalcon's (1400+ Holy would be nice game. Please. Game. Please) to get that down I guess.

I usually clear to the exit. Which is usually not long after the boss, anyway. I don't spend too much extra time exploring for clearing floors unless the rift density is super nice.

Well, for groups. For solo, it's just whenever I fill my inventory, though I don't solo much.

im on have been all morning I can't even find anything about a maintenance today?? :/

There isn't downtime today.

Totakeke

Turns out I was playing it wrong with my Fate of the Fell build before. :X After few days of using it, and getting the hang of it, I am now stutter stepping properly and I can kill T3 Ghom in 10s, so 70mil dps. And that's with 575k sheet dps and 11.5m sheet toughness.

I need to learn how to fraps this sometime.

Sanctuary

There isn't downtown today.

Then why can't some of us connect, and why are we getting "there is a temporary outage of the battle.net service" error when trying to log on to the game, and we also cannot log on to the forums?
Was working just fine before I went to sleep, and now there's a new desktop client.

Totakeke

Then why can't some of us connect, and why are we getting "there is a temporary outage of the battle.net service" error when trying to log on to the game, and we also cannot log on to the forums?

I had a friend that was playing but his brother can't log-on at all. And they live in the same house.

/shrug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom