• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discobird

Little stuck on some options to take.. I could farm for Aug head/shoulders (have RROG already), or I could rift for marauder pieces (helm especially), or farm A3 caches for pride's fall.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/ferr-1693/hero/6314719

I'm thinking of farming aug head as it would be the most straightforward.. and I'd still be in T1 with the opportunity for marauder/etc to drop..

If you're planning to stick with a CA:LFB build I'd recommend farming for a Pride's Fall. I'd go so far as to say that it's more important for your resource efficiency than Cindercoat, even, since it affects the cost of Preparation - Punishment as well as CA:LFB. You will notice a very big difference when you upgrade to it. Recommend running Awareness to help keep the buff up (and in general, really... Awareness is really good).

Unless you use the unity + immortal follower combo, you will still lose the Pride's Fall buff to certain sources of unavoidable damage--thunderstorm, reflect damage etc. So you can never keep it up all the time, but you can certainly keep it up 80% or more of the time if you play carefully and/or have some tanks (party mates, garwolves, Maurauder 4pc).

The Cowboy

yay! Getting some arcane gear. Now I'm only missing 4 set pieces for perma Archon.
Cool, i got mine a day or so back - right after i had setup my reapers with +fire and got my cindercoat and magefists :D.
R5GFIZM.png
Its such a shame your we're not allowed to roll the +arcane into something else (like more FIRE!!!).

scy

Then why can't some of us connect, and why are we getting "there is a temporary outage of the battle.net service" error when trying to log on to the game, and we also cannot log on to the forums?
Was working just fine before I went to sleep, and now there's a new desktop client.

And I've been playing all morning so I dunno. It may be an extension of the datacenter issues of the past week.

There's downtime for WoW and Hearthstone, I believe, but none going for D3. Then again, I guess technically it hasn't hit that time yet since they're listed for 12 PM CST.

Ok people, I had played Diablo 3 when it came out. Played as barbarian till I hit lvl 56.

Stopped for a long time.

Yesterday picked it up again (after hearing so much about Loot 2.0) and had a blast.

Got to lvl 60 (and 2 paragon levels).

So, today I just bought Reaper of Souls.

Now, Im a noob when it comes to Diablo. A few questions:

1) I will play the Act V with my barb to get it to lvl 70. What are the good builds for barb? IF anyone has links Id really appreciate it.

2) How is the crusader? If I choose him do I have to start all over again from Act I?

3) After lvl 70 and beating Act V what is there to do? I read about Adventure mode and bounties. Is there stuff to do or is there a lot of mindless repetition (like running the same area for better loot multiple times)?

Thanks in advace for all the help :)

ElyrionX

It's nothing new really, and the old Crypt runs would probably net you similar results. I was just farming a purple landshark (or whatever they are) for some crafting materials on T3 in the Caldeum sewers. Once I started noticing the absurd amount of legendaries that was dropping, I started keeping track just to make sure it wasn't just an RNG fluke. It wasn't. It takes around five minutes (or less) to clear it, is 2-5 elite packs, 1-2 purples and a bunch of random chests and sometimes a goblin. I was consistenly getting 3-4 legendaries per hour. One of which was actually an upgrade a little over a week ago.

Like I said though, the experience sucks. Like, really bad.

I need to try this. This is the regular story mode? Which waypoint do you port to?

scy

City of Caldeum and enter the Sewers. Not much to it. Aughild's, Asheara's, and Captain Crimson rares spawn there and it's a fairly compact zone.

ferr

If you're planning to stick with a CA:LFB build I'd recommend farming for a Pride's Fall. I'd go so far as to say that it's more important for your resource efficiency than Cindercoat, even, since it affects the cost of Preparation - Punishment as well as CA:LFB. You will notice a very big difference when you upgrade to it. Recommend running Awareness to help keep the buff up (and in general, really... Awareness is really good).

Unless you use the unity + immortal follower combo, you will still lose the Pride's Fall buff to certain sources of unavoidable damage--thunderstorm, reflect damage etc. So you can never keep it up all the time, but you can certainly keep it up 80% or more of the time if you play carefully and/or have some tanks (party mates, garwolves, Maurauder 4pc).

Never thought to combine Awareness with PF, that's pretty cool. What passives would you run to get Awareness in? Archery, BV, NS, Ambush are my typical passives in rifts.

Also I guess I should try to incorporate SS, maybe over Vault. But I'm that DH that prefers to vault around instead of SSing..

Ok people, I had played Diablo 3 when it came out. Played as barbarian till I hit lvl 56.

Stopped for a long time.

Yesterday picked it up again (after hearing so much about Loot 2.0) and had a blast.

Got to lvl 60 (and 2 paragon levels).

So, today I just bought Reaper of Souls.

Now, Im a noob when it comes to Diablo. A few questions:

1) I will play the Act V with my barb to get it to lvl 70. What are the good builds for barb? IF anyone has links Id really appreciate it.

2) How is the crusader? If I choose him do I have to start all over again from Act I?

3) After lvl 70 and beating Act V what is there to do? I read about Adventure mode and bounties. Is there stuff to do or is there a lot of mindless repetition (like running the same area for better loot multiple times)?

Thanks in advace for all the help :)

1. I don't know barb well enough, sorry.
2. A lot of people are enjoying the crusader. It seems like they may not be the most efficient for farming. If you finish Act 5 (just once with any character), you can start a Crusader in adventure mode and go anywhere.
3. Bounties are randomized quests from the story, so you aren't doing the same area. You can also open rifts which are completely randomized dungeons mixing enemies from all of the acts. Going back and forth between rifts and bounties provides a lot of variety.

Dahbomb

City of Caldeum and enter the Sewers. Not much to it. Aughild's, Asheara's, and Captain Crimson rares spawn there and it's a fairly compact zone.
Wow that area has all those 3 mats there?

I guess I know where I am farming today.

Honestly though it's not even that hard to get Aughild's and Asheara's. The Captain Crimson takes a bit more effort though because that shark is rarer.

eek5

Yeah this is the best. It beats reloading for bounties.

I usually check:
A1 cemetary: dataminer (born), digger (born), matriarchs (auglid)
A1 Festering: Feklar (aughlid)

A2: ZK thrum/rockgut (shattered core), tomekeeper/archivist (aughlid)
A2: Howling razormouth (essence of twin seas)

If I don't see any of those spawn I drop into city of caldeum and clear sewers.

Wow that area has all those 3 mats there?

I guess I know where I am farming today.

Honestly though it's not even that hard to get Aughild's and Asheara's. The Captain Crimson takes a bit more effort though because that shark is rarer.

Ashearas is easy as shit. If anyone needs some lmk I'll just get the waterway checkpoint in A2 and my WD can nuke the snake on T6 for you. Got wicket like 10 of them in 6-7mins

1. I don't know barb well enough, sorry.
2. A lot of people are enjoying the crusader. It seems like they may not be the most efficient for farming. If you finish Act 5 (just once with any character), you can start a Crusader in adventure mode and go anywhere.
3. Bounties are randomized quests from the story, so you aren't doing the same area. You can also open rifts which are completely randomized dungeons mixing enemies from all of the acts. Going back and forth between rifts and bounties provides a lot of variety.

Thanks. Glad to know that there is variety.

Will use my barb to do Act V and then create a Crusader for Adventure Mode.

As for build, I will do some hunting with Google. thanks! :)

Discobird

Never thought to combine Awareness with PF, that's pretty cool. What passives would you run to get Awareness in? Archery, BV, NS, Ambush are my typical passives in rifts.

Also I guess I should try to incorporate SS, maybe over Vault. But I'm that DH that prefers to vault around instead of SSing..

BV and Ambush are pretty much mandatory so I would drop NS--you will save a lot of discipline with Pride's Fall anyway. I would love to run NS but DH's are, fortunately, pretty spoiled for choice when it comes to passives. It's a hard call but I think Awareness is worth it.

I'm in the same boat as you about Vault haha. I only bring SS for T6, otherwise Vault and ROV - Flying Strike are my only defensive skills most of the time. I would probably use SS for T5 too if I didn't have the unity + immortal follower combo, but I think I would still keep Vault on my bar.

Danetta's set is not for everyone but I think it's perfect for DHs like you and me.

Shifty76

Ashearas is easy as shit. If anyone needs some lmk I'll just get the waterway checkpoint in A2 and my WD can nuke the snake on T6 for you. Got wicket like 10 of them in 6-7mins

I killed that snake 7-8 times last night on T5 and got nothing. I just assumed it had been nerfed but I guess RNG just hates me

Bombless

I went on a Strafe build, it's great for keeping the Pride's Fall buff up. Some olympic style slaloming going on hah. It's less efffective than Cluster Arrow but I loathe that skill so much.

Discobird

Yeah this is the best. It beats reloading for bounties.

I usually check:
A1 cemetary: dataminer (born), digger (born), matriarchs (auglid)
A1 Festering: Feklar (aughlid)

A2: ZK thrum/rockgut (shattered core), tomekeeper/archivist (aughlid)
A2: Howling razormouth (essence of twin seas)

If I don't see any of those spawn I drop into city of caldeum and clear sewers.

Hawthorne Gable in A1 Festering also drops Aughilds IIRC

Discobird

I went on a Strafe build, it's great for keeping the Pride's Fall buff up. Some olympic style slaloming going on hah. It's less efffective than Cluster Arrow but I loathe that skill so much.

I should put together a Strafe build for fun, I think I have all the gear already except K'Mar Tenclip which I can probably do without. Would give my wrists a break from the constant stutterstepping with CA and Hexing Pants. It's probably faster than CA at any difficulty where Strafe one-shots trash.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
So now I'm starting to wonder if they have implemented a mechanic similar to one I've read about in WoW where if you don't play for a while they boost your drop rates upon your return. I'm starting to think a similar thing is in place for rifts.

I've been looking for a good RRoG so I've decided to spend weekdays doing nothing but bounties and weekends doing nothing but rifts.

Week 1: ran nothing but bounties M-F. Saturday started doing rifts. The very first rift I got 4 legendaries in the first 5 minutes including 1 class set item plus another legendary later in the same rift. After the initial run it quickly tapered off to 1 legendary per run then 1 every other run to eventually 1 every few rifts.

Week 2: ran nothing but bounties M-F. Saturday starting doing rifts. The very first rift I got 3 legendaries in the first 5 minutes and another later on in the same run. After the initial run it quickly tapered off just like it did the preceding week.

I'm doing it again this week and I will report back my findings but yeah, definitely feels like there is a "welcome back" sort of boost and diminishing returns (where it slows down the longer you keep doing rifts) at play. It could all just be a coincidence but if it is, it sure seems like a heck of a coincidence.

Has anyone else experienced the same thing?

If you guys are bored of rifts, and want some real fun...

Go to Festering Woods, clear it, retry. Do it over and over again, until you bleed. T2/T3, but T1 works as well.

- There is a near 100 percent chance of a goblin spawning
- 3-4 Elites+2 elites in the two dungeons
- Uniques spawning that are needed for the Aughilde set (The unique ghosts).
- High chance (Somewhere between 60-70%) of the zone having cursed chests. Chests always spawn at the edge of the zone, not in the inner circle
- Plus events that are quick to complete and give you bonus XP/GOLD/legendary crafting material for some other stuff.
- Usually, there is an INSANELY HIGH normal monster density. The one you wish you had in every rift, really.

One run takes 6-7 mins. You are welcome.

On campaign or adventure mode?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
EU servers are dying right now, massive lag, high ping and dc's.

Don't play HC.

Dahbomb

What element changes would you guys like to see in the next patch? The blue posts have been saying that skills will be getting their elemental runes switched around some so I wonder what people would want to have.

As I have most experience with a Monk I will give my thoughts on this:

Wall of Light: Wall of Light needs Fire, Lightning and Cold runes badly. Although more than anything it needs a flat damage increase as well because it's pretty damn low compared to LTK in terms of cost efficiency.

Explosive Light: Fire (standard high damage nuke as is standard for Fire skills)
Empowered Wave: Cold (reduced cost)
Blinding Light Lightning (it causes stun just like most other Lightning skills that stun)

Lashing Tail Kick: Just needs a Holy variant in there. It would probably end up being Vulture Claw Kick.

Seven Sided Strike: Needs Fire, Lightning and Cold variants.

Sudden Assault: Fire
Sustained Attack: Cold
Pandemonium: Lightning (as it stuns)

Tempest Rush: Just needs a Lightning variant. It would probably be either Tailwind or Slipstream.

Mystic Ally: Needs Lightning and Holy damage variant. Air and Enduring Ally can be those two.

Sweeping Wind: Inner Storm rune needs to do Holy damage.

Epiphany: Needs a Holy damage variant.

Way of Hundred Fists: Need Lightning and Fire damage variants.

Hands of Lightning: Lightning damage (such a no brainer it's IN THE GOD DAMN NAME!!!)
Blazing Fists: Fire damage (such a no brainer)

Deadly Reach: Need Fire, Holy and Cold damage variants.

Piercing Trident: Cold damage
Strike from Beyond: Holy damage
Foresight: Fire damage

Crippling Wave: Needs a Holy damage variant (doesn't need Lightning because Monk has many options for that). Either Rising Tide or Concussion.

Fist of Thunder need to just be buffed because they are pretty underpowered right now.

JCizzle

I'd like to see fire toned down, seems to be almost everyone's go to across many classes. Give poison & cold some love. And holy for non crusaders.

Realyn

As far as Wizzard a good AE Cold Signature spell would be cool. Without A Mirrorball you are kinda fucked. There's only one Shock Pulse rune and that one is very meh.

Dahbomb

I'd like to see fire toned down, seems to be almost everyone's go to across many classes. Give poison & cold some love. And holy for non crusaders.
Fire in the skills themselves is not an issue at all (except for small cases like Conflagration with Mirrorball or the DH Cluster Arrow).

Fire is the best because of itemization. Stuff like Magefist and Cindercoat push it ahead of everything else. If there were items like those two in the game but for other elements then you would see other elements used for sure.

Like say if there was a Shoulder that reduced the cost of Holy damage while also adding Holy damage... instant best in slot for every Holy build (Monks and Crusader) and that would greatly buff Holy builds in general.

scy

What element changes would you guys like to see in the next patch? The blue posts have been saying that skills will be getting their elemental runes switched around some so I wonder what people would want to have.

As far as Crusaders are concerned, many skills need to be shifted away from "All of them are just this one type" that we have. Like, Punish is 4x Physical and 1x Fire, Justice is 4x Holy and 1x Lightning, and Smite is pure Holy. Shield Bash is all Holy (and awful).

We have some variety where it matters since most the Fire / Lightning options already standout as the best skill to use anyway so there's a good chance that not much would actually change with Crusader builds though. Like, if we suddenly got some Fire or Lightning Shield Bash runes, I'd probably still just use Combust / Blazing Sweep and Fissure.

Good point. I agree. I think a lot has to do with the fact that Magefists are the only gloves that have elemental damage on them, and it's fire. Correct me if I'm wrong

^Fairly certain all that info above is accurate, it came from the Devs IIRC.

yes nerf fire that'll teach all those people who spend tens/hundreds of millions of gold, hundreds of souls and countless hours rolling gear for it

/s
(I don't play any fire spec btw my wiz is arcane my barb is lightning my monk is lightning my WD is physical and cold)

they should make other specs better not fuck people over who farmed endlessly towards one element

Slevin

YES! Got my second Unity.

T5 is my new home.

+ 2 Missile Mirrorball, Unity, Shrine gloves, 29% Cold damage, 43% Magic Missile and 14% Arcane Orb.

Hey I have a question if you don't mind. My stats on my DH are pretty close to yours save for +elite damage and damage from skills but the biggest thing is your attacks per second are so low. Just wondering how you're down to 1.36 and I'm at 2.06 while using 2 hand xbows with a ton of added attack speed?

Dahbomb

Can you link to this blue post?
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12504231625?page=3#50

As far as Crusaders are concerned, many skills need to be shifted away from "All of them are just this one type" that we have. Like, Punish is 4x Physical and 1x Fire, Justice is 4x Holy and 1x Lightning, and Smite is pure Holy. Shield Bash is all Holy (and awful).
Monks are the same to be honest.

I can understand Fist of Thunder having all Lightning damage rune... but stuff like Wall of Light is basically 4x Holy, 1x Physical or SSS is 4x Physical, 1x Holy. Some skills have just about every element except glaringly missing one which really sucks because it's usually a good skill like LTK. It really pigeonholes your choices if you want to go a specific element.

JCizzle

Fire in the skills themselves is not an issue at all (except for small cases like Conflagration with Mirrorball or the DH Cluster Arrow).

Fire is the best because of itemization. Stuff like Magefist and Cindercoat push it ahead of everything else. If there were items like those two in the game but for other elements then you would see other elements used for sure.

Like say if there was a Shoulder that reduced the cost of Holy damage while also adding Holy damage... instant best in slot for every Holy build (Monks and Crusader) and that would greatly buff Holy builds in general.

Well, for Barbs I think almost every of the highest dmg rune options are Fire, for example. Other runes/elements have uses, but tend to be more gimmicky than the straight dmg buffs. I do agree that itemization is the bigger cause of pushing people to fire though.

IceMarker

Fleeting Shrine, Empowered Shrine with Gloves of Worship about to clear another T2 rift and mass disconnect from the server and I follow suit seconds later.

scy

Hey I have a question if you don't mind. My stats on my DH are pretty close to yours save for +elite damage and damage from skills but the biggest thing is your attacks per second are so low. Just wondering how you're down to 1.36 and I'm at 2.06 while using 2 hand xbows with a ton of added attack speed?

Erm, the bigger number means they're faster. If you're DWing (+15% IAS) and have a bunch of IAS%, it makes perfect sense to have more APS than someone who doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom