• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Cindercoats... Cindercoats EVERYWHERE!

Thank god I already have mine. Was my first true "holy shit drop"...

But today just as I was about to log off....a Green chest drops. I am like "great a Blackthrone... a bad ending to an otherwise good day of farming".

I look at the icon... it's not a Blackthorne. HYPE RISING!

*IDs

MARAUDERS CARAPACE!!!!

With damn good rolls too.

StMeph

I have no Lightning or Cold gear, but I got a Fulminator and Wizardspike tonight on Wizard. Which weapon is better to start rerolling other gear toward?

ElyrionX

I'm going to hit 50,000 this weekend most likely.

I think I've gotten two decent items from her.

One was for an alt.

What are you spending those on? 1H weapons and amulets? While it took me 10k shards to finally get a 2MM Mirrorball out of her, I have got a lot of useful Sources out of her along the way, mostly legs but also one rare source with godly rolls.

scy

What are you spending those on? 1H weapons and amulets? While it took me 10k shards to finally get a 2MM Mirrorball out of her, I have got a lot of useful Sources out of her along the way, mostly legs but also one rare source with godly rolls.

Now? 1H Weapons. I spent a ton on 2H Weapons but got nothing that great from there except my first Baleful Remnant (which has since been replaced). Even then, they were just off-spec weapons.

Like, I've gotten plenty of legendaries from her. It's just that it's something like 10+ Stolen Rings, Skull Grasps, Eternal Unions or my 20+ Deathseer Cowls.

Edit: To be fair, it's really more just a case of my gear is just hard to randomly replace from her so it's more just gambling and hoping for the best. At this point, it's just hoping to get a better Gyrfalcon's Foote, for instance. After that, probably a better SoJ / Unity than what I have waiting for rerolls? Or maybe a better Andariel's. Stuff like that.

15 rifts done running for RIF, 11 dropped legendaries + 1 shit ring from Kadala. I am up to 2900 shards for my 2nd SOJ becasue my first one rolled so perfect for Fire that I dare not mess with it for Lightning. Please note that if you are not turning over every corpse, opening every chest, and turning over every loose rock your legendary per unit time efficiency will go in the shitter.

Mixed bag of drops:

hammer jammers
litany of the unduanted
Plan: Wall of Man - not bad for the zDPS pull and palm set
Blind faith
Justice Lantern
Plan: Piro Modella
Homing Pads - these rolled well and you always want to have them around for bounties, so not bummed about it
Plans: Kethyre's Spirit
Monster Hunter

Last drop of the night was a Thundergod Vigor that rolled nearly max on the assured stats and had % Life as the random on it. Pretty sweet.

Still the Legendary frequency distribution in the game reeks of the very worst of video game gashapon schemes-the most common items (with a handful of exceptions-Harrington's , etc.) being not useful and the most rare items being game-breaking.

Dahbomb

Would you actually use that over Cinder though?

I also have the carapace but... I don't think Ill ever get to use it.
I am saving it for a pet/companion based DH. I already have Tasker and Theo with Dex rolls (plus trifecta). I am thinking Marauder plus Asheara set with RRROG.

Just something down the line I can use. My Cluster Arrow DH is pretty much full slotted at this point with the exception of Pride's Fall.

Totakeke

Not useful is just relative. They're still better than rares. If you had a system where every legendary is "not useful", the game would also be boring.

I don't think it's that bad honestly. Anything is better than vanilla D3.

scy

Not useful is just relative. They're still better than rares. If you had a system where every legendary is "not useful", the game would also be boring.

I don't think it's that bad honestly. Anything is better than vanilla D3.

Anything is better than Vanilla D3.

It's still a pretty shitty situation currently but that's mostly in terms of the amount of bland Legendaries.

Dahbomb

I don't think it's a matter of usefulness but more like some Legendaries are hard to distinguish among each other. That's because many don't have a special stat and I am not even talking about the orange affixes I am talking about even regular old stats that don't appear on that slot (like say a Pants having attack speed would make it special and unique even though attack speed as an affix is nothing unique).

Legendaries should at least serve some niche purpose. Like that Justice Lantern ring... yea it's crap for what most people want in a ring but it serves the niche of giving you an extra source of Block chance. Solid for a Templar, maybe a Crusader can use it down the line on Hardcore.

Who the fuck cares about the Stolen Ring? I have a dozen rings in my stash that have better stats both defensive and offensive. It serves no purpose other than being a slightly better Rare.

Totakeke

Anything is better than Vanilla D3.

It's still a pretty shitty situation currently but that's mostly in terms of the amount of bland Legendaries.

In that sense crusaders' itemization is pretty good. Our shields and weapons are mostly quite interesting.

Totakeke

Eh. Most of them are actually useless, though. Or crowded out by vastly better options.

But that's the line between interesting/not-useful vs. everything is powerful. I'd think everything is powerful is pretty much impossible to achieve. As long one is more powerful than the others then it seems like everything else is shit.

I am saving it for a pet/companion based DH. I already have Tasker and Theo with Dex rolls (plus trifecta). I am thinking Marauder plus Asheara set with RRROG.

It does sound fun.

Just got this. Could be better....

eGQ4pXX.png

Cindercoat + Pride's Fall is insane. I don't need a hatred re generator. I'm using fire chakrams as my main attack and it tears through trash mobs like butter.

Dahbomb

I think we should separate useful (or really more like best in slot as per the definition people give useful items) and interesting items from completely shit/useless/uninteresting items when talking about Legendary.

Items like Horadric Hamburger and the Farting pants are at least interesting if they aren't best in slot for a particular build. Who the fuck cares about Crudest Boots? An item like that you don't even keep in your stash for novelty purposes.

Edit: Man those Marauder pants kinda suck. I would be salty over them but begrudgingly add them to my collection.

Guise, for someone who left a loooooong time ago, is it worth getting back into? Is the endgame good and exciting?

Also, how are crusaders? Pallys were my main squeeze in D2.

RivalCore

It does sound fun.

Just got this. Could be better....

eGQ4pXX.png

Cindercoat + Pride's Fall is insane. I don't need a hatred re generator. I'm using fire chakrams as my main attack and it tears through trash mobs like butter.

I think it's crazy how those torment only class sets aren't guaranteed to have the full amount of sockets. Especially given how rare they are.

zon

Guise, for someone who left a loooooong time ago, is it worth getting back into? Is the endgame good and exciting?

Also, how are crusaders? Pallys were my main squeeze in D2.

I think it's worth coming back to. The game is actually fun now, I only wish it was a little easier to find particular items you need.

Dahbomb

Also after spending 3 days gambling for Belts... I have come to the conclusion that there are some downright awful belts in the game. I should've kept some of them to make a showcase video. Thankfully Belts aren't a huge deal and a good belt like Hellcat is easy to acquire. And you can always go Blackthorne or Captain Crimsons.

At this point the only reason I am gambling for Belts is to get the mythical Witching Hour.

scy

But that's the line between interesting/not-useful vs. everything is powerful. I'd think everything is powerful is pretty much impossible to achieve. As long one is more powerful than the others then it seems like everything else is shit.

Not really saying that everything needs to be powerful / possibly best option, just that many aren't even good enough to warrant wanting one. A lot are just "I'd use it if it's the best I have."

Edit: For what it's worth, I think much of this applies broadly to "Crusader Shields" in general. They don't really offer much over an equally rolled normal Shield.

V_Arnold

Eh. Most of them are actually useless, though. Or crowded out by vastly better options.

This is the captain speaking, am I reaching Hyperbole land?
This is a loot game. You will walk on piles of shit. You will breathe in shit, swim in useless, drown in useless. The ones that you use are what you will considered useful. Otherwise, you would not even have time to play the game, but just do theorycrafting while trying to sort out your hundreds of daily "useful" drops.

MMO's are better in terms of loot being bland but useful. The only place where I see relative usefulness in bigger numbers is WoW's trinkets. And even there, min-maxers have a very, very clear ranking between the trinkets as well, interesting procs be damned.

Totakeke

Not really saying that everything needs to be powerful / possibly best option, just that many aren't even good enough to warrant wanting one. A lot are just "I'd use it if it's the best I have."

Edit: For what it's worth, I think much of this applies broadly to "Crusader Shields" in general. They don't really offer much over an equally rolled normal Shield.

Hmm. Let's see.

http://www.diablohub.com/database/category/crusader-shields/

Akarat's Awakening: Reduce cd on block - Super interesting
Hallowed Bulwark: Increase block by 45-60% when you use iron skin - Interesting
Hellskull: Remove movement reduction penalty on Heavenly Strength - Super useful
Jekangbord: Blessed Shield bounces to 4-6 additional targets - Super useful
Piro Marella: 1/2 Shield Bash wrath cost - Sounds useful
Salvation: Blocks heal you and your allies for 20-30% amount blocked - Interesting, need maths
Sublime Conviction: Stun attacker depending on your wrath levels - Sounds lame, need testing
The Final Witness: Shield glare now hits 360 deg - Sounds useful

Looks pretty good to me?

ElyrionX

Now? 1H Weapons. I spent a ton on 2H Weapons but got nothing that great from there except my first Baleful Remnant (which has since been replaced). Even then, they were just off-spec weapons.

Like, I've gotten plenty of legendaries from her. It's just that it's something like 10+ Stolen Rings, Skull Grasps, Eternal Unions or my 20+ Deathseer Cowls.

Edit: To be fair, it's really more just a case of my gear is just hard to randomly replace from her so it's more just gambling and hoping for the best. At this point, it's just hoping to get a better Gyrfalcon's Foote, for instance. After that, probably a better SoJ / Unity than what I have waiting for rerolls? Or maybe a better Andariel's. Stuff like that.

Yeah, weapons and jewelries are not worth gambling for, IMO. Just too expensive. Anyway, when I say "useful", I was referring to stuff that I keep stashed which I can see myself using in the near future. I change my skill builds constantly and hence, I don't generally like to roll affixes on my gear because that can get expensive fast and I don't like locking myself into a particular build for a long time. So I keep a stash of different parts which comes in useful when I want to switch up my build a bit.

scy

This is the captain speaking, am I reaching Hyperbole land?
This is a loot game. You will walk on piles of shit. You will breathe in shit, swim in useless, drown in useless. The ones that you use are what you will considered useful. Otherwise, you would not even have time to play the game, but just do theorycrafting while trying to sort out your hundreds of daily "useful" drops.

And what's your point? I know that useless items will exist (and, for the most part, have to exist). I'm saying that many of the unique affixes are just really bad. Many of them aren't even worth considering using. This applies to most classes and a lot of the loot in the game. Whether or not you think that's a problem is a separate matter entirely.
Hmm. Let's see.

http://www.diablohub.com/database/category/crusader-shields/

Akarat's Awakening: Reduce cd on block - Super interesting
Hallowed Bulwark: Increase block by 45-60% when you use iron skin - Interesting
Hellskull: Remove movement reduction penalty on Heavenly Strength - Super useful
Jekangbord: Blessed Shield bounces to 4-6 additional targets - Super useful
Piro Marella: 1/2 Shield Bash wrath cost - Sounds useful
Salvation: Blocks heal you and your allies for 20-30% amount blocked - Interesting, need maths
Sublime Conviction: Stun attacker depending on your wrath levels - Sounds lame, need testing
The Final Witness: Shield glare now hits 360 deg - Sounds useful

Looks pretty good to me?

Awakening is pretty good.
Hallowed Bulwark doesn't really do much in the grand scheme of things. Like, gaining 7-10k Block Amount for a few seconds on an underused skill doesn't really change things.
Hellskull is good utility but not worth the slot ultimately.
Jengaboard is amazing.
Piro Marella is awful due to how bad Shield Bash actually is.
Salvation doesn't offer enough Healing to really do much.
Sublime Conviction is pretty bad as it's best in a Gyrfalcon build but Jengaboard exists.
The Final Witness is neat utility but it doesn't allow for anything useful.

Edit: Though, to clarify, I'm not expecting like all of them to be amazing. Just that most of them aren't good enough to go "I'd like to get one for my build." Ultimately, they'll just be "If it drops and has better stats than X, I'd use it."

But then it's competing with Defender of Westmarch, Stormshield, Hallowed Barricade, and Lidless Wall for the slot and most of those are going to end up being better for most builds.

V_Arnold

And what's your point? I know that useless items will exist (and, for the most part, have to exist). I'm saying that many of the unique affixes are just really bad. Many of them aren't even worth considering using. This applies to most classes and a lot of the loot in the game. Whether or not you think that's a problem is a separate matter entirely.

On one hand, I agree that the "good legendary affixes" to "bad ones" ratio could be improved. At one point in the game design, things like Mirrorball's +number of missiles were the unique/rare runeword drops, so they have to have a list of stuff like that for many skills. I would expect them to include more and more like that.

On the other hand, I think that you are oversimplifying what "useless" and "amazing" is in terms of usefulness. I avoid any kind of "what is the best Wizard build" discussion, and arrived at very interesting builds, used skills that many would consider "worthless", and in turn, have used legendaries for their "interesting for me" affixes, where many in here would consider them useless when it comes to... I do not even know, T6 farming? T5 farming?

I do not even want a Mirrorball, for example. I would try the 2missile variant if I had one, but I am more than happy with the Wormhole-giving athrophy.

scy

On the other hand, I think that you are oversimplifying what "useless" and "amazing" is in terms of usefulness. I avoid any kind of "what is the best Wizard build" discussion, and arrived at very interesting builds, used skills that many would consider "worthless", and in turn, have used legendaries for their "interesting for me" affixes, where many in here would consider them useless when it comes to... I do not even know, T6 farming? T5 farming?

Well, yes, I probably am. I only really care about making things run better. Things "because it's fun" don't really mean much to me. And, honestly, I'd say that's usually what discussions like these are based around. You can find "fun" uses for nearly everything. That doesn't really make them itemized well, though. But that's probably a different argument entirely.

Like, if we want to take a step back to how this discussion started then, yes, most of the Crusader items are in a decent spot: Many (all?) of them actually have a Legendary Affix associated with them. A lot of them aren't good, sure, but at least they have them. Which is a fairly big step-up compared to most the rest of the game where there are a bunch of items that are literally "it's an item that rolls bigger numbers than a Rare. That's it."

But then it's competing with Defender of Westmarch, Stormshield, Hallowed Barricade, and Lidless Wall for the slot and most of those are going to end up being better for most builds.
Lidless is amazing. Mine has +20% fire, main stat, crit, and attack speed.

For my particular Fire'sader (punish/sweep) I really do think it's BiS, and I don't see myself ever replacing it.

scy

Lidless is amazing. Mine has +20% fire, main stat, crit, and attack speed.

For my particular Fire'sader (punish/sweep) I really do think it's BiS, and I don't see myself ever replacing it.

I have a really good one. With Holy.

So it's like a better Hallowed Barricade? I guess? :(

I think most the Crusader Shields can be "fixed" just with some tweaks to base Crusader Shield itemization and then numerical / base-skill (e.g., Shield Bash why) tweaks. Just hard to compare when there's really good shields already and there's so many affixes you can get on a Shield to begin with.

ElyrionX

Is it me or does it seem like WDs have some of the most insane legs out there? From being able to automatically summon dogs to having a chance to spawn fetishes to 70% damage increase and 50% attack speed increase to pets. And then there is the Jade Harvester set.

The Wizard's items don't seem to come anywhere close (except Mirrorball and Wand of Woh).

eek5

Is it me or does it seem like WDs have some of the most insane legs out there? From being able to automatically summon dogs to having a chance to spawn fetishes to 70% damage increase and 50% attack speed increase to pets. And then there is the Jade Harvester set.

The Wizard's items don't seem to come anywhere close (except Mirrorball and Wand of Woh).

monk set shits all over wd though

Totakeke

Awakening is pretty good.
Hallowed Bulwark doesn't really do much in the grand scheme of things. Like, gaining 7-10k Block Amount for a few seconds on an underused skill doesn't really change things.
Hellskull is good utility but not worth the slot ultimately.
Jengaboard is amazing.
Piro Marella is awful due to how bad Shield Bash actually is.
Salvation doesn't offer enough Healing to really do much.
Sublime Conviction is pretty bad as it's best in a Gyrfalcon build but Jengaboard exists.
The Final Witness is neat utility but it doesn't allow for anything useful.

Edit: Though, to clarify, I'm not expecting like all of them to be amazing. Just that most of them aren't good enough to go "I'd like to get one for my build." Ultimately, they'll just be "If it drops and has better stats than X, I'd use it."

I was evaluating it from a perspective of having no experience with those shields, but that's still a ton better than quivers for example.

I thought Hallowed Bulwark is block chance instead of value, doesn't that kind of make it absolutely worse compared to Coven's Criterion?
Hellskull is worth it just for the utility and is a pretty big deal.
Piro Marella's problems is just tied to Shield Bash problems unfortunately.
Final Witness is really good, makes it a lot easier to get full wrath just by one cast.

But this is also tied to you thinking non-crusader shields are better options which I don't necessarily agree. I don't know about how useful Defender of Westmarch is, Stormshield is definitely good, but you're overestimating the +elem on Hallowed Barricade and Lidless Wall because they also don't roll skill modifiers. You get an extra utility on crusader shields, possible wrath regeneration roll, possible max wrath roll, for a tradeoff of a 15% skill mod vs. 20% elem mod.

Of course some builds like the Jakengbord makes wrath irrelevant, and some crusaders roll with 2-3 primary damage skills (which I never did), but that doesn't discount a lot of other builds would still be better served by the crusader shield specific rolls compared to a normal shield.

I have a Hallowed Barricade for my FoH build, but I'm often using a Hellskull and I'm starting to think my wrath regen and +Heaven's Fury Final Witness is a better party shield than Hallowed Barricade.

But this is also tied to you thinking non-crusader shields are better options which I don't necessarily agree. I don't know about how useful Defender of Westmarch is, Stormshield is definitely good, but you're overestimating the +elem on Hallowed Barricade and Lidless Wall because they also don't roll skill modifiers. You get an extra utility on crusader shields, possible wrath regeneration roll, possible max wrath roll, for a tradeoff of a 15% skill mod vs. 20% elem
Those are some great points. As with most items, everything is build dependant.

DSmalls84

Didn't really find any upgrades last night for my WD pet build, but I got a nice pair of Jade Harvester boots. Guess I will keep collecting that set as well and try out the op locusts build if I get enough pieces.

V_Arnold

Well, yes, I probably am. I only really care about making things run better. Things "because it's fun" don't really mean much to me. And, honestly, I'd say that's usually what discussions like these are based around. You can find "fun" uses for nearly everything. That doesn't really make them itemized well, though. But that's probably a different argument entirely.

Like, if we want to take a step back to how this discussion started then, yes, most of the Crusader items are in a decent spot: Many (all?) of them actually have a Legendary Affix associated with them. A lot of them aren't good, sure, but at least they have them. Which is a fairly big step-up compared to most the rest of the game where there are a bunch of items that are literally "it's an item that rolls bigger numbers than a Rare. That's it."

I feel the need to point out that I *DO* agree with you on the issue at large: legendaries are more often than not are misses, not hits. That is absolutely true.

I will stir up some controversy, but if I were to rate the different arpg unique/legendary itemizations, I would say rate them like this:

Diablo III <<<<<<<<<<<< Diablo III Reaper of Souls < Diablo II <<<<< Path of Exile.

Path of Exile is just so much more focused and consistent in its uniques, desipte a large portion of its uniques being designed with the guide of its diamond supporters. There are just so many viable multiclass uniques there, and every new month, the metagame there is shifted either via a new, totally new build-enabler unique or by a new skill that gives meaning to otherwise forgotten/"mediocre" uniques. I wish ROS developers would move to a similar direction with their focus of legendaries. We have yet to see the first big post-launch content and the ladders, so there is still hope.

ElyrionX

Can someone please explain to me why people say attack speed is poor for channeling builds? Yes, I know it drains resource faster but wouldn't that also mean that the damage ticks come faster (which makes dps higher) as well? Or is my understanding of the mechanics incorrect?

Radec

DIII is helluva fun during the first few days of Loot 2.0, RoS, and 2.0.4.

Mostly because people are getting leg drops.

Then a few days later it feels like they ninja-nerf it back.

V_Arnold

Can someone please explain to me why people say attack speed is poor for channeling builds? Yes, I know it drains resource faster but wouldn't that also mean that the damage ticks come faster (which makes dps higher) as well? Or is my understanding of the mechanics incorrect?

It is a complex issue that gets trivialized by both the supporters and the attackers of IAS.

The facts (I hope I got these right)
a. If you cast a meteor that deals 400% weapon damage, your sheet dps does not mean shit on the damage. It looks at your weapon damage (modified by your damage stats) and calculates the hit from that. So for Meteors, spells with high AP cost, spells with cooldown, if you have a slower weapon in your hand, you will see bigger numbers because that is the nature the game. IAS has absolutely no effect in this calculation - your numbers will be the same if you use weapon A with 0% IAS and weapon A with 150% IAS.

b. Channeled spells indeed get faster ticks (I am not sure if this is always the case), but ticks are considered channeling, so the faster the channeling speed, the faster your resources are drained. The only way to counteract this if you have insane resource generation.

So IAS is useful for signature spells (and consequently, if you use prodigy, more signatures spells cast over time means more arcane power regained, which means more meteor summons per minute, for example), and it is useful when your build is not resource constrained in any way. Or when you do not rely on huge cooldown skills or skills that give no crap about your IAS - like explosive blasts, hydras, cooldown meteors, etc.

So yes: IAS when using with channeled spells helps you deliver faster ticks (but lesser ticks as opposed to focusing on CD/CRIT/raw damage), in exchange of faster resource drain. Question is: can you sustain it, or do you even want to sustain it?

ElyrionX

Your understanding is exactly the same as mine. My issue is with people who treat IAS as universally bad on channeling builds. Faster ticks equals to faster damage euqals to higher DPS. Your resource drains faster but it also means you get to be more mobile since you don't spend as much time standing still to channel a spell. Yes, don't sacrifice CHC or CHD for IAS but don't treat IAS as a negative stat on channeling builds either.

Tarazet

Your understanding is exactly the same as mine. My issue is with people who treat IAS as universally bad on channeling builds. Faster ticks equals to faster damage euqals to higher DPS. Your resource drains faster but it also means you get to be more mobile since you don't spend as much time standing still to channel a spell. Yes, don't sacrifice CHC or CHD for IAS but don't treat IAS as a negative stat on channeling builds either.

You do have to consider where to get IAS and where not to. It's not going to be a desired stat on an amulet, since you're generally going to want elemental damage + main stat + CC + CD. On a ring, you would do +Damage, main stat, CC, CD. And on a weapon, the best combination is strong damage roll, main stat, +Damage or CD, socket rather than IAS.

But Steady Strikers with elemental damage + main stat + IAS + CC? Andariel's or Mempo with IAS and CC? Witching Hour with IAS and CD? I wouldn't pass on any of them.

Well the RNG gods have came and handed me all of the luck.
This is my first RoS Hellfire ring, after not getting a single good roll in vanilla after 30 tries.
qHPAryL.jpg

Gonna keep rerolling the crit damage till i get 45%+

bcl0328

hahahahahhahaahaaha

HAAAHAHHAhahaaha

i am losing it.

i just want a 2MM mirrorball. but no. i get FOUR TRIUMVIRATES. why...

this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom