• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
RIF has completely replaced D2JSP for me. I used to use that for the same thing.

That forum has a currency (forum gold). You can sell 3 spots in your group for forum gold. Then use that to buy 3 spots in other groups. Basically running once, and joining 3 more times. The problem is, it just takes longer as you have to create the thread and wait for responses. Then add everyone to your friends list. Then invite them all.

This is waaaaay faster. But maybe harder to join as the ratio of runners:joiners is still a bit low.

I couldn't get into many RIFs because there were 100 other people requesting invites too so I gave up.

This game is depressing.

This is why I only use RIF for free Rift keys. In the end, it's faster to invite people to join my boss fight than it is to split farm bounties.

Just wish, for the community's sake, that there were more people thinking like me. Though I'm not after super fast shards. Still too many set pieces I need, which will only drop from doing actual rifts (bosses never drop me anything).

Lowmelody

I couldn't get into many RIFs because there were 100 other people requesting invites too so I gave up.

This game is depressing.

No doubt one's ability to partake in RiF is limited by their hardware, connection and reflexes. For what its worth though it took me a little while to get down the muscle memory to overcome my initial fumbling. But after that it's "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need 'roads."

Xanathus

This game is depressing.

RIF is still good if you want to solo rifts, you'll only need to spend 5 keys for 1 continuous set of rifts. What I really want though is for GAF clan to do our own rift it forward but it seems no one cares for free rift boss kills.

Kyoufu

If I log on tonight and get a bunch of legendaries in my first Rift then the theory of "Timed Legendaries so that casuals can keep up" is definitely true. Of course brute force playing would net you more but time as an actual factor other than RNG would make me sad.

I used to think there was some sort of rested MF system in place but I haven't gotten a single legendary in a WEEK of casual playing. I don't even want to play this game anymore. It's just so random and shit.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I'd join more RIF's but I don't wanna be a leech and I've only got 16 rift keys :S
Guess I better farm bounties ;_;

Though generally how is the RIF communities mindset towards mildly undergeared people? Do they just boot you if you're doing T1 with sub 600k dps or something?

ksan

If I log on tonight and get a bunch of legendaries in my first Rift then the theory of "Timed Legendaries so that casuals can keep up" is definitely true. Of course brute force playing would net you more but time as an actual factor other than RNG would make me sad.

I don't know, I got 4 or 5 legs in about 15 rifts after not playing for 5 days (mostly T2, a couple T1 and T3). I'm pretty sure that the first one came in the first one, then it took over 5 rifts to get another one.
Though two of those were from the new monk set...

Lowmelody

I'd join more RIF's but I don't wanna be a leech and I've only got 16 rift keys :S
Guess I better farm bounties ;_;

Though generally how is the RIF communities mindset towards mildly undergeared people? Do they just boot you if you're doing T1 with sub 600k dps or something?

Nah mang, don't sweat it. RiF goes too fast for people to care about kill speed. The only thing you need is to know what the runner's req for opening is and that you have 5 rift tokens incase that's you.

I don't know, I got 4 or 5 legs in about 15 rifts after not playing for 5 days (mostly T2, a couple T1 and T3). I'm pretty sure that the first one came in the first one, then it took over 5 rifts to get another one.
Though two of those were from the new monk set...

Last time I played (about 3 days ago) was the first time I played in a few days and I got two set items in my first rift and almost nothing in the next 10. Maybe the "bonus" timed MF only works up until the first drop and then it's gone? In any case... I will post my findings later.

I used to think there was some sort of rested MF system in place but I haven't gotten a single legendary in a WEEK of casual playing. I don't even want to play this game anymore. It's just so random and shit.

Do you loot every corpse/break open every chest/turn over every loose rock? This seems like silliness but the number of legendary items you get from this extra effort really adds up. For me it is the difference between miserable land of endless Litanys and Hammer Jammers and actually getting a quality item with regularity.

hough generally how is the RIF communities mindset towards mildly undergeared people? Do they just boot you if you're doing T1 with sub 600k dps or something?

Speaking as a runner that does 20-30 rifts a day, you can be in rags provided you get into the damn game quickly and open the rift as the runner instructs, and GTFO as soon as the rift is open. I'd rather have a player with a good computer that does these things rather than some WD with a gargantuan that can three shot a rift guardian but plays on a cracker jack box and spends 3 minutes after the new rift opens fussing with his gear in town.

I'd rather have a player with a good computer that does these things rather than some WD with a gargantuan that can three shot a rift guardian but plays on a cracker jack box and spends 3 minutes after the new rift opens fussing with his gear in town.

Link the guys name in chat and say he won't leave :p

He'll GTFO or risk being blocked by everyone...

Kyoufu

Do you loot every corpse/break open every chest/turn over every loose rock? This seems like silliness but the number of legendary items you get from this extra effort really adds up. For me it is the difference between miserable land of endless Litanys and Hammer Jammers and actually getting a quality item with regularity.

I always clear everything. Drop rates are just so bad to begin with and to make matters worse the drops that you do get after hours of grinding end up to be trash. Doesn't feel rewarding at all.

I'm sorry for the negativity. RoS is much better than vanilla D3 but after a few weeks of playtime these flaws stick out like a sore thumb and prevent me from enjoying the game any further.

Maybe they'll improve things in time for ladders.

Begaria

I can't see how it's useful
barb already overkills trash on high torment because of the explosion rune on battle rage and because trash doesnt have much hp to begin with

it's single target damage where barb struggles (for elites and bosses) and I don't see how raekor charge is going to help with that, you're giving up a skillslot for it that could be used for war cry (needed in high torment and your group members will love you for using especially combined with the belt for the runspeed) or wrath of the berserker (single target dps boost for bosses)

Now, I may not have much experience with the set yet, but...what? I am using War Cry (even with the belt!), Battle Rage, AND WoTB. Give up what now? Single Target damage comes from HOTA. I just went and took on a couple of T3 bosses just to test it out and my fury generation was good, alternating between charging and HoTA. I was even thinking of throwing some cooldown reduction somewhere to decrease the wait time on Charge. Even if I was low on fury, my Maximus Fire Chains were proc'd and I could wait a second or two for charge to come back up while the chains were dealing damage.

It's a fine set, you just need the right gear, be a fire barb, and possibly even have a Maximus for it to work as well as it is for me.

You certainly need to see for yourself, but... yeah it's going to suck. It's fine on bosses that summon adds but for bosses that don't you just run out fury and then are stuck there waiting for war cry/charge to come off cooldown constantly. Reaper wraps is a good solution if you can keep a steady flow of globes coming in, but, I actually stopped using those for strongarm bracers since charge will proc it and you can actually use charge to drag most elites which will proc it for them. To me that is really where charge shines, being able to drag most elites to wherever you want, keep them nearly perma-stunned, and then hitting them incredibly hard.

Also personally I prefer Andarials over Magefist. The poison proc crits for well over a million and it procs constantly. This is my Barbarian at the moment, I'm missing out on a good 40% more fire damage and 15% HoTA damage which is mostly what is holding me back on bumping up the torment difficulty again.

This pretty much the truth of it. I didn't actually build around charge, I just plopped it into my HoTA/OP build in exchange for WW. I primarily used WW as a positioning tool (since let's be real that's its best function) so switching it out for charge was no big deal, charge does a way better job since it lets you group enemies together. That said, like I mentioned a few posts up superstition is really fucking strong. I really don't understand if it is intentional or not but ground effects seem to tick really fast and it gives a ton of fury, which solved my problems with single target stuff. It works out well since the number of rift bosses that don't summon a lot of adds or don't use some sort of ground effect are incredibly small, Ember is about the only one that annoys me atm.

I guess going Andariel's/Raekor gloves is good to with the poison proc on the helmet. As far as item drops go though, I just haven't found a fire Andy's yet while I've found magefist. Magefist/Raekor helm is good to. I tried out superstition when I was testing against a T3 Ghom and some Elites that were doing molten. Worked really well, but my resists are a bit low so I can't stand in Arcane or poison for too long.

This is why I only use RIF for free Rift keys. In the end, it's faster to invite people to join my boss fight than it is to split farm bounties.

Just wish, for the community's sake, that there were more people thinking like me. Though I'm not after super fast shards. Still too many set pieces I need, which will only drop from doing actual rifts (bosses never drop me anything).

I use RIF the same way. Probably ran 10 - 15 rifts last night and only used 5 keys. It really is a great system for all parties.

Mumei

I was unable to join any RIFs, but I was pretty lackadaisical about requesting invites since I was having fun with bounties anyway.

Blizzard did a hotfix to address people doing caches on normal and opening them on torment 6. Their solution was to make all caches the same, regardless of difficulty.

Well.

That's spectacularly stupid. They should have just made it so that the contents were tied to the difficulty level it was received on.

Speaking as a runner that does 20-30 rifts a day, you can be in rags provided you get into the damn game quickly and open the rift as the runner instructs, and GTFO as soon as the rift is open. I'd rather have a player with a good computer that does these things rather than some WD with a gargantuan that can three shot a rift guardian but plays on a cracker jack box and spends 3 minutes after the new rift opens fussing with his gear in town.

I was running in a group of 3 and we invited 1 for the guardian. This went on for a few hours before the other guys left. I joined a new RIF, cleared the guardian, and went to run the newly opened rift but the party leader didn't want me there. Why do people prefer to solo the rifts? Surely it's faster to clear with another person?

You can give it a shot. You should live but it'll probably be a little slow going. Need to focus a bit more on dps.

My crusader is just fine in T1, struggles in T2 (can do it, but it's slower).

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/garath-1132/hero/45165523

Thanks for the advice. I did some T1 bounties last night and then a friend & his brother hopped on and we did some T1 rifts together. My first night of T1 went really well - I got one of the legendary potions (the regen one), found a drastically better weapon and was able to reroll a slot onto it on the first try, and got a legendary shield & armor from Kadala: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/RDespair-1773/hero/45967013

Question - how does blind work (since my weapon has nearly a 40% chance to inflict it)? Do you need dodge chance to take advantage of it (something I don't have as a Crusader with Hold Your Ground) or does it just give enemies a chance to miss regardless of the target's dodge?

I need to start doing this more. Theres a thread on the official forums about it where the guy is documenting his runs and he full clears everything (floor tiles barrels etc). Didnt look at the data yet but many people have said its worth it.

Also, about the RIF, it does suck that you have people that take years to enter but I think as long as they're on the minimap (even if you dont physically see them, they show up on minimap before their graphic gets loaded in) and they're close to the boss they'll get loot

taybul

How likely is it that split bounty runs will get nerfed?

Not likely:

Blue post said:
This sounds like a great way for like minded members of the community to get together, farm a lot of Rifts, and have some fun. I'm glad to hear that so many of you are having a great time doing it, and I'm looking forward to jumping on the bandwagon. Have shards, will Rift.

source

While this isn't necessarily a guarantee that they won't touch it, they're at least aware of it and it doesn't seem like it's too high up on their nerf radar.

ZenaxPure

Now, I may not have much experience with the set yet, but...what? I am using War Cry (even with the belt!), Battle Rage, AND WoTB. Give up what now?

Yeah, I think this is worth stressing again, the biggest benefit from having the charge set is being able to give up a fury generator. You don't have to give up any good abilities to make it work, all you are doing is exchanging your generator with charge which is an amazing trade off 99% of the time (and there are solutions for that other 1%). It's not like you're making this big sacrifice or anything.

As for drops... well this game hates me lol. In truth I actually want to go leap quake (as I've always been a fan of leap and the set actually makes it useful) but instead the game has given me the entire charge set except the chest, and, multiple pairs of the shoulders and boots.

Meanwhile my one piece of earthquake gear sits in my stash weeping.

Now, I may not have much experience with the set yet, but...what? I am using War Cry (even with the belt!), Battle Rage, AND WoTB. Give up what now? Single Target damage comes from HOTA. I just went and took on a couple of T3 bosses just to test it out and my fury generation was good, alternating between charging and HoTA. I was even thinking of throwing some cooldown reduction somewhere to decrease the wait time on Charge. Even if I was low on fury, my Maximus Fire Chains were proc'd and I could wait a second or two for charge to come back up while the chains were dealing damage.

It's a fine set, you just need the right gear, be a fire barb, and possibly even have a Maximus for it to work as well as it is for me.

I guess going Andariel's/Raekor gloves is good to with the poison proc on the helmet. As far as item drops go though, I just haven't found a fire Andy's yet while I've found magefist. Magefist/Raekor helm is good to. I tried out superstition when I was testing against a T3 Ghom and some Elites that were doing molten. Worked really well, but my resists are a bit low so I can't stand in Arcane or poison for too long.

wait so you use a maximus on your barb and don't use a builder? and you think standing around doing nothing waiting for fury regeneration is a good idea?
yes if you don't use a builder and stand around waiting for fury regen on bosses then you don't have to give up your buffs...

Not likely:

source

While this isn't necessarily a guarantee that they won't touch it, they're at least aware of it and it doesn't seem like it's too high up on their nerf radar.

This isn't a comment on split farming. I believe that've commented that they don't like split farming and want to address.

Personally I think increasing the fragments and leg chances are enough.

Split farming normal sucks so much.

I need to start doing this more. Theres a thread on the official forums about it where the guy is documenting his runs and he full clears everything (floor tiles barrels etc). Didnt look at the data yet but many people have said its worth it.

Point of order-clearing out the rift pass the boss isn't worth it except in very rare circumstances like when you stumble into a conduit pylon on a jail map right before Rift guardian spawns. I'm talking solely about interacting with corpses/loose rocks/chests as much as possible while in rifts, and intentionally using big AE procs like TF to break as many objects as possible. Note that this plays VERY well into the way you would play with Harrington WaistGOD and Warzechian Gauntlets, two of the best solo rift farming efficiency items in the game.

Why do people prefer to solo the rifts? Surely it's faster to clear with another person?

The biggest reason to clear rifts in groups isn't speed but having a shared Legendary drop pool. The fastest theoretical gearing would be rifts w/ four of the same class as fast as possible so that gear upgrades are pooled.

I run solo because I keep metrics on my character/build performance and once you start grouping I lose the ability to recognize how the changes I make affect clear times.

Is knock up considered a knock back?

Yes.

Dahbomb

Is there a community for farming craft mats?

I feel like there should be if there isn't one. I spend like hours yesterday searching for the god damn Aughilds ghosts and bounties. So if anyone knows about a community that does this please post it.

Or else I am going to make a new one.

I feel like there should be if there isn't one. I spend like hours yesterday searching for the god damn Aughilds ghosts and bounties. So if anyone knows about a community that does this please post it.

There should be a Mat Farming community opened up. I saw a post on reddit about it earlier today.

Begaria

wait so you use a maximus on your barb and don't use a builder? and you think standing around doing nothing waiting for fury regeneration is a good idea?
yes if you don't use a builder and stand around waiting for fury regen on bosses then you don't have to give up your buffs...

Do you even realize how hard those fire chains hit from the Maximus proc? It does more damage than any of the fury generators. I was using Cleave as my fury generator and even with 28% +cleave damage, +370%ish crit damage, +77% fire damage, 25% Rampage Str bonus, my cleave was doing about 3.5-4.0 million per hit.

My fire chains proc, on average, 5 million damage per trick and ticks faster than I can Cleave. Maybe with Bash + Punish, I could do an equivalent amount of damage, or perhaps Frenzy + Maniac. I've had Fire Chains as high as 12 million damage per tick - the proc damage is based on when the demon pops out and how buffed you are when he does appear (i.e. Rampage bonus, shrines, etc).

Yeah, no. I don't need a fury generator if the chains are proc'd. I can afford to stand around for a second or two if charge is on cooldown.

I dug up a few videos showcasing the Maximus fire chain ability:

A Witch Doctor using it (unknown what his crit damage is)
http://youtu.be/0Bes797w0fM

Crusader (a bit low on crit damage, only 298%, mine is 370%ish)
http://youtu.be/07jdd60PpXU

Another Crusader, on Torment VI, probably high crit damage
http://youtu.be/OSyVB7LJAAI

Yeah, Maximus is no joke. It hits hard. It hits fast. It negates needing to have a fury generator. On top of having the cost reduction on HOTA, Furious Charge/War Cry as Fury generators, and fury generation from globes with the Reaper Wraps, it's good stuff.

eek5

Search for aughilds in communities and see if there is one. Most of htem are pretty dead though.

If you ever want to farm twin seas, aughild, asheara, shattered cores, born key.. I'm always down yo!

I'm all about that double monk struggle. Craft 15 crimson boots to get the correct res then salvage because they rolled movement speed but no mainstat or LTK. Fuck yea!

Dahbomb

There should be a Mat Farming community opened up. I saw a post on reddit about it earlier today.
Yeah found it, thanks for this. Looks like a few people farming Aughilds. Nice.

If you ever want to farm twin seas, aughild, asheara, shattered cores.. I'm always down yo!
You online right now? Going to start farming some Aughilds after I take a shower.

Mumei

Point of order-clearing out the rift pass the boss isn't worth it except in very rare circumstances like when you stumble into a conduit pylon on a jail map right before Rift guardian spawns. I'm talking solely about interacting with corpses/loose rocks/chests as much as possible while in rifts, and intentionally using big AE procs like TF to break as many objects as possible. Note that this plays VERY well into the way you would play with Harrington WaistGOD and Warzechian Gauntlets, two of the best solo rift farming efficiency items in the game.

I need to have a back-up for boss fights in rooms where I don't have chests to open, but generally speaking mine is never coming off. I just wish the effect lasted permanently for 15 seconds!

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
neoenigma said:
Blizzard did a hotfix to address people doing caches on normal and opening them on torment 6. Their solution was to make all caches the same, regardless of difficulty.

That's not true. The loot in caches is now determined by the difficulty they drop. A torment cache DOES NOT have the same loot as normal. Example: I got the Firebird set helm in an Act 1 bounty bag just the other day. That's a class only item that only drops in torment. If I had done the bounties on normal I wouldn't have gotten that item.

That's not true. The loot in caches is now determined by the difficulty they drop. A torment cache DOES NOT have the same loot as normal. Example: I got the Firebird set helm in an Act 1 bounty bag just the other day. That's a class only item that only drops in torment. If I had done the bounties on normal I wouldn't have gotten that item.

Pretty sure you can not get torment only items from Caches.

Also, see this blue post:

The chance to get a Legendary item from a Horadric Cache does not change based on the difficulty you acquired the cache. To use the example provided you'd have the same chance to get the Ring of Royal Grandeur from a cache acquired in Torment 1 as one acquired in Torment 6.

JoeMartin

AwIYlaO.png

Welp.

Pretty sure you can not get torment only items from Caches.

After they fixed the normal->torment cache bug I think they changed it so you can get them in a torment bag.
Bags can drop ANY legendary in normal, so if the table is extended in torment, then it should be able to pull torment legendaries from that table.

Kadala is a diff story because she's completely seperate from killing/bags.

But they really should increase the rewards for torment bags its horrid atm. Higher torment bounties are only good for exp (I believe it's the fastest xp at T6 if you can reliably do it with no deaths)

J-Rzez

Ok, so I don't roll with the conspiracy theory people much, but I noticed on a few different forums people mentioning that your character maybe bound to what it'll see drop wise at creation. I found this very odd, and luckily, I was bored and had some friends powerlevel me up another DH.

I am without a doubt seeing items I never saw drop before for my main DH.

Totakeke

Downside of being a crusader, randoms don't want to invite you to T4 rifts even if you have 6pc set bonus because of your low sheet dps. :/

scy

Downside of being a crusader, randoms don't want to invite you to T4 rifts even if you have 6pc set bonus because of your low sheet dps. :/

I've heard tales of T1 groups requiring 800k+ sheet DPS or else you face the auto-kick.

t1 is a hell of a place

Ok, so I don't roll with the conspiracy theory people much, but I noticed on a few different forums people mentioning that your character maybe bound to what it'll see drop wise at creation. I found this very odd, and luckily, I was bored and had some friends powerlevel me up another DH.

I am without a doubt seeing items I never saw drop before for my main DH.

This seems ridiculous and computationally expensive to do for something that so clearly evil to implement. Even with some sort of fast caching solution (which I'm sure blizzard now has plenty of capacity to go around now that the AH is gone) in place the extra server side code involved in the selection and generation of the legendary at the time of drop doesn't seem worth it.

At this point I'm sure the CM team would love it if development would just publish the loot selection code to deal with all the wild loot theory threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom