• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sort of want to try out RIF but I have a feeling the community is very hostile towards newcomers.

All I need to do is clear a rift up to the boss, post in chat, then....?

Dahbomb

Sort of want to try out RIF but I have a feeling the community is very hostile towards newcomers.

Wait you want to just run Rifts and have someone else pay for you???

LOL you will have dozens of people lining up. You just post in chat of RIF community something like "T4 RG up lowest paragon opens" and you will have 3 requests within 5 seconds.

Trust me on this... there is no shortage of Key suppliers. There's a huge shortage of runners.

LOL you will have dozens of people lining up. You just post in chat of RIF community something like "T4 RG up lowest paragon opens" and you will have 3 requests within 5 seconds.

Trust me on this... there is no shortage of Key suppliers. There's a huge shortage of runners.

I'm saying I am still trying to figure out exactly what I need to do to get in on this. I don't fully understand the process. I am not short on keys either, I have 500+.

This. As someone who likes to solo some T1 rifts, when I get the the guardian and post in the RIF chat, it is instant invite request flood. I recommend declaring who needs to open in the chat message. eg, "@ T1 Boss, 3 slots open, lowest paragon opens" If you want to be a runner, you can get free rifts for days.

Edit:
I'm saying I am still trying to figure out exactly what I need to do to get in on this. I don't fully understand the process. I am not short on keys either, I have 500+.

If you want to just partake in the rift guardian kills, just watch the chat for a while and send invites as quick as possible to the people who post in the chat. If you get designated as the opener, open the rift after the clear and then just move on. That is the only "manners" to be had. Always be ready to open a rift if you are going to join someones clear.

StMeph

Definitely way less people running rifts than wanting to spend their shards.

Tell people the difficulty you're running on (e.g., T1), and the condition for who opens the next rift (e.g., last in, lowest Paragon, etc.). Announce the person's name in chat after everyone arrives. Go kill the rift boss.

I'm not sure if there's a specific etiquette to CLOSING the rift, though. Sometimes it's just closed. Sometimes it seems like people let the re-opener close it. I'm not sure if there's a standard there.

Everyone's supposed to leave after it's done. No dawdling.

Dahbomb

You don't need to do anything.. just join the RIF community.

If you want people to pay for you then just post in chat when you are at the Rift Guardian.

If you want free Shards + Forgotten souls, you need to sit in chat and wait for someone to post that they are at the Rift Guardian and quickly click "Request Invite". Then you kill the boss with them, get the items and open if you are the one who is supposed to open the next Rift. After that you leave and start the process again.

There is no hostility here... it's just a business transaction really. Only 2/3rds of the time you aren't even paying anything and even if you are paying something it's like pennies in terms of cost for what you are getting. If you are the type of person who likes to solo Rifts then this is good for you as you get a lot of mileage out of your initial 5 Riftstones.

The only time there is hostility is when someone comes and they are supposed to be the one to open but they leave as soon as the Rift is closed. Usually those people are black listed (whatever that means) but aside from that it's a good environment. The hardest part is actually getting in the games as an opener... it's like Auction House sniping type shit going on here.

Artanisix

5URRMGr.png

who needs some gold

i got some extra

eek5

No lie I am actually thinking about making another Monk just so that I have a better chance of getting more sets that are usable.

I cringe whenever I see a near perfect item but then I see Arcane resistance...

I'm actually surprised at how much gear extra gear I had in my stash. It was enough to get my 2nd monk doin t1/2 pretty easily heh

The Cowboy

its quite a nice community from what I've seen since joining on day 2 of it starting (at least in the EU one) and despite seeing the odd bad apple (players who won't open a Rift), for the most part (at least 99% of the time) everyone seems to get on really well. In fact in the EU one i would go as far as saying as its almost 100% business with no chit chat, you host/join a game and everyone does what they're meant to and all you usually see is a stream of "Tx @ boss, x slots, x opens" in community chat and then "xyx opens", "thks" and "bb" in party chat after the boss kill.
-
You clear until the boss (you can even take the boss down to low HP if you want) then post in RiF community chat something like "T4 @ Boss (25% HP), 3 Slots, Need re-open (xyz person opens)", after this you'll get 3 very quick party requests via the right click "request" option and the players will port to you - then you all kick the crap outta the boss & everyone gets the shards/souls/loot, after this you state who was picked to open and they do it and everyone says "thks", "bb" and they leave.

Its really that simple with next to no chit chat.

If you want free Shards + Forgotten souls, you need to sit in chat and wait for someone to post that they are at the Rift Guardian and quickly click "Request Invite". Then you kill the boss with them, get the items and open if you are the one who is supposed to open the next Rift. After that you leave and start the process again.

This makes sense. Thank you. I was making it more complicated than it is.

Thanks for the other responses guys.

Artanisix

I desperately need some gold (like almost always). Where do you farm for gold?

I wish I could give gold away. Don't think I'll ever spend all this...

I just kill Ghom on T6 campaign with my WD, he pounds him down in around 10 seconds and I get over 100k gold each time for my efforts. Pretty decent source of legendaries and xp too.

Dahbomb

God damn all you WDs slaying Ghom in under 10 seconds!

Anyway was this posted? Some information on the upcoming patch 2.1:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/84210/diablo-3-dev-team-discusses-reaper-of-souls-and-answers

Production Director John Hight: We're working on two major systems for the 2.1 release, first is Seasons. Seasons are a shard of the existing game where everything is a fresh start. You start with a brand new character without access to any of the gold or items you collected with your primary account for the length of the season. We plan on creating brand new, powerful legendaries that only drop within in the season. After the season ends, all of your progress — your experience, your items, your gold, etc. — will be rolled into the main roster. The goal is the fresh-start feeling — so many changes and tweaks have happened since the launch of Diablo III — it is really energizing and fun to recreate that 'first-moment-in-a-new-game' feeling.

We've also added leaderboards. Players can race on a variety of metrics to try to become the leader in their region or the top of their friends and clan lists. That friendly competition angle lends itself really well to Diablo games.

Second is Tiered Rifts. Tiered Rifts are variations on the Nephalem Rifts concept from Reaper of Souls. You have a timer to finish a Rift (kill enough monsters to draw out the boss and slay the boss) and the better you do, the more challenging the level that you get to tackle. For example, if you finished a Tiered Rift in just a few minutes, you’d get to jump ahead to a much harder rift. These will also have unique rewards, custom leaderboards, etc. Tiered Rifts are a new end game activity that offers both challenge and competition but are easy enough for everyone at max level (70) to try.

Seems like they are basically confirming Ladder exclusive Legendaries.

Another thing that got me curious was "Legendary Gems". They say that they are seriously talking about it. Now THAT is interesting.
vile: Are there any plans for further deepening socketing, such as reintroducing runes and runewords?

Hight We don't have any short term plans at the moment, but we all agree that the socketing game is not super deep and we’ve said so before. We are talking seriously about some legendary gem ideas that will offer new tactical options to players. Stay tuned as we do hope that this design gathers steam.

Lowmelody

Nah it's not like that at all. It's actually really laid back and people almost always say please and thank you. There is zero tolerance for rift-n-dashing though (if runner asked you open next rift and you bail), you will get called out and blocked almost instantaneously by the runners in the community. lol. But seriously there are no gear checks, no profile scanning or vetting of any kind. Every single person I have seen was happy to open rifts when it was their turn and because its so efficient people don't have much of a reason to be grumpy.

Also I wanted to say that every now and then I see someone use the term "leech" or some other similar term when describing some aspect of RiF but it's not true. No single person involved in the RiF chain is being taken advantage of. You can do any T rift you are comfortable doing, you can "play" the game if you want to be the runner, or you can get turbo shards by putting up tokens for runners to play endlessly. It's utterly ideal and is a revelation. Not one single downside. (except for people that unfortunately have a technical issue with being fast enough to join RiF games.)

You can use it to round out a group to take down a high T boss that you and your buddy slog to for example. It fits in with just about every part of the end game.

Also, there is a split bounty community for those without a clan or when no one in the clan is running them. It also works exactly as it should and will keep you flush with tokens for RiF games.

EDIT: OMFG that patch sounds amazing. I can't wait for tiered rifts!!!!

The Cowboy

God damn all you WDs slaying Ghom in under 10 seconds!

Anyway was this posted? Some information on the upcoming patch 2.1:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/84210/diablo-3-dev-team-discusses-reaper-of-souls-and-answers

Seems like they are basically confirming Ladder exclusive Legendaries.
I'm kinda not liking "powerful legendry's" being places behind the seasons, i would have been OK with perhaps quirky ones or even ones exactly the same as they are now but with different looks (they could add all the powerful ones to all aspects of the game). I have no interest in doing seasons, so i kinda find it a bit crappy that i won't have access to RNG powerful legendary drops.

IMO, they should not be locking away powerful legendary items like this.

It's the only way they'll get people to play seasons.

I think seasons and ladders existing in the first place is enough reason for people to play.

Then the people that don't have the time to do them are unable to get any cool new items because of a gateway that doesn't need to exist.

Svafnir

They announced more legendary items for tiered rifts and seasons a month ago. I just hope there are ways to get them other than just seasons.

Play seasons to get item for main character
Season ends - main character can use item
1 day later... New season.
Repeat

Which is fine. But if you really want those season exclusive items, you won't actually be able to use them as a new season will start with new items.

Dahbomb

They will probably have the new Legendaries drop in the Seasons only at first and after the season is done they will start dropping in regular games as well.

We'll see though... maybe they won't be that good to begin with but I doubt it. That's like the main reason to be playing Ladders for some people... to acquire that mythical godly Ladder only item.

"powerful legendaries" only in the season ladder.

As if the game couldn't be anymore random and luck based, they put in more of it in a ladder?

They need better incentives rather than throw more simple carrots.

Kyoufu

"powerful legendaries" only in the season ladder.

As if the game couldn't be anymore random and luck based, they put in more of it in a ladder?

They need better incentives rather than throw more simple carrots.

Imagine playing seasons and not even getting any of the new stuff because of RNG. :s

cdyhybrid

Question: Does your ladder character disappear when the season ends? Or am I eventually going to have 5 Wizards or something?

Also, have they said how long they expect a season to last?

The Cowboy

Taken from the official forum.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12646444769
There are possible solutions:
- Each season has new exclusive items and after the season end the items are no longer exclusive and can be found in the non-seasonal mode. With this the season would still have the motivation to have the contenct earlier but no one is forced to play season-only because he can wait until he can find it in non-season.
- Don't roll the seasonal items and char progress into non-season after the reset. Make the gamemodes completely seperate, like hard- and softcore. Your hardcore heroes don't go to softcore after death so why should the season stuff go to non-sesaon? With this the non-season players would not feel to be second class because there is no one that runs around with exclusive stuff in their game mode.
I like both of these ideas, only with either of these would i be OK with seasonal powerful legendary items (i really would much prefer option 1).

If Blizzard don't at least do something like the 1st option, i think it will be a big mistake.

I am also assuming your paragon levels are reset as well otherwise in a race ladder people who are already high level will have a huge speed advantage on getting started. Then after the season would they add your paragon level to your overall level?

Haven't read too much about this stuff if I am honest, too busy playing.

ZenaxPure

I like both of these ideas, only with either of these would i be OK with seasonal powerful legendary items.

If Blizzard go through with it the way they are saying it now, then i think its a terrible idea.

Ehh can't say I agree at all (with the second one, I think the first one is a great idea that will probably happen). One of the big appeals about seasons to me is that I can get a fresh start again but also still progress my main characters down the line when the xp and gold gets rolled into them.

Dahbomb

Yea Paragon levels are reset and after the season is ended the experience you gained in the Ladder gets added to your main account.

I wish I could give gold away. Don't think I'll ever spend all this...

I just kill Ghom on T6 campaign with my WD, he pounds him down in around 10 seconds and I get over 100k gold each time for my efforts. Pretty decent source of legendaries and xp too.

how many legs would you say you get from him per hour on average? does it at all compare to rifts? (or even manglemaw before the nerfs?)
Ive killed him about 40 times but only got one leg and didn't feel like I wanted to keep going to find out myself.

I like both of these ideas, only with either of these would i be OK with seasonal powerful legendary items (i really would much prefer option 1).

If Blizzard don't at least do something like the 1st option, i think it will be a big mistake.

The second idea is awful
it's not about the petty 'they can't have toys if we can't have them'
it's about them finally releasing some new content (well items at least...) that might allow for new interesting builds but then locking that content and those builds behind a seperate gamemode that a lot of people will have no interest in playing

It's also going to split the community
I can already see half my friends moving to rifts to chase after the new items while the other half stay on 'vanilla'
a month of running rifts together only to be seperated by some crappy decision like the option 2

Dahbomb

Not sure about Adventure mode being unlocked from get go in Ladders, a lot of the nuances of the modes have still yet to be disclosed. We still don't know much about tiered Rifts either.

Miletius

Certain legendaries only being in on a season is pretty much how PoEx does is now, and I think it's a decent approach. They also make drops rates decently higher on the ladder though, so that's an extra motivator for people to play ladder. Then when the ladder season is over open it up to all characters.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of seasonal characters but as long as you can level them in adventure mode it's okay. Would be cool if there were also twists on gameplay, like maybe change up story mode somewhat and mix up the acts/travels. I dunno, things like that keep the game fresh.

Dahbomb

There were Ladder-only Uniques in D2. What's the new fuss about? I thought people wanted an Authentic Diablo Experience?
I don't get the fuss either.

There are Bounty only items.
There are Torment only items.
There is even a Hardcore only item.

Ladder exclusive items has always been one of the draws to play Ladders in D2.

Artanisix

how many legs would you say you get from him per hour on average? does it at all compare to rifts? (or even manglemaw before the nerfs?)
Ive killed him about 40 times but only got one leg and didn't feel like I wanted to keep going to find out myself.

Ehh I think it's comparable to rifts or manglemaw, very streaky though. Looking at anywhere from two to four legendaries an hour.

There were Ladder-only Uniques in D2. What's the new fuss about? I thought people wanted an Authentic Diablo Experience?

I played a lot of D2. The difference is that you could trade for ladder-only uniques when they came to nonladder. There needs to be a way to compensate for that lack of ability in D3.

traveler

Not Wario
I don't get the fuss either.

There are Bounty only items.
There are Torment only items.
There is even a Hardcore only item.

Ladder exclusive items has always been one of the draws to play Ladders in D2.

Both the bounty and the torment only items are obtainable on a player's "main" character. Ladder only items are fundamentally different in that they will require players to start all over. For many, this fresh start will be a welcome way of pursuing new loot. Others, either out of limited leisure time or just sheer preference for investing their time into one character, will prefer to spend all their time on a main, or set of mains. The type of person who finds hardcore unappealing is likely to be uninterested in the temporal nature of seasons/ladders for similar reasons. This isn't necessarily my preference, but I can see why people would feel very different about season only build defining items than they would the "restricted" items mentioned above.

(And, lastly, the hardcore only item is something that has unique utility just for hardcore. It's fairly obvious why softcore players wouldn't feel particularly bad about missing out on Ancestor's Grace.)

J-Rzez

Ok, yeah, this is either an odd coincidence or the conspiracy theory players are true. I'm getting totally different drops now on my 2nd DH. Sure, I get a couple similar common legs, but i'm getting totally different drops now. A bit more Nat's stuff (no slayer yet, FML) in different slots (hoping to see Mara's in a different slot), some different belts/rings/gloves etc.

I think they're onto something. It lines up with their suspicions. Even my clanmates are noticing i'm getting different stuff now. 2 already rerolled their fav class like I did. Lol.

As far as gems go, they need to add a whole lot more to flavor up builds. They're just too boring now. Bring back the charms/etc pls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom