• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneils

They really should have waited until RoS launch to make this xp change.

Or at least tested it on Public Test Realm before implementing it. Seems really strange as the hotfix notes don't seem to match anyone's actual impression of what has really happened in game.

Nokterian

Wait what happend? XP reduced for packs? What? Please inform me in normal language what they have changed.

edit found this :

Some of you may have noticed I recently updated the Patch 2.0.3 Hotfixes to include a couple new upcoming changes. These hotfixes should be live later this afternoon, and we wanted to offer some clarification regarding these changes in advance (as well as to keep the Hotfix list clean of lengthy explanations).

All class set items will now only drop in Torment I or above.

We've been listening to player feedback on difficulty rewards, and one of the most frequent comments we receive is that Torment difficulty isn't rewarding enough. As a result, we've reached the decision to make class-specific sets, specifically Natalya’s, Immortal Kings, Tal Rasha's, Inna's, and Zunimassa's, drop only in Torment I or above from this point forward.

The class sets weren't designed as a progression, but rather as a lateral choice between different play styles. It makes sense for all of them to be obtained at the same difficulty level, alongside the other sets that will be available at 70 in Torment I+. This should also make these very strong items a little bit more rare, and when you reach level 70 and you see someone wearing a full set, you’ll know the level of play they needed to reach in order to acquire those items.

The reward level of each difficulty setting and how they feel is very important to us, and it’s something we’ll continue to observe and tweak as we enter the expansion.

Reduced the amount of experience granted by monsters with lower than average health pools.

It took us some time to evaluate whether or not we wanted to alter some of the current most popular runs. Our baseline for comparison for these alternative runs is to see how they stack up versus Adventure Mode and Bounty runs, and these different types of play should be on par (or at least fairly close). After extensive testing, we were finding this wasn't the case and came to the decision to make these changes. It’s a decision we wrestled with for a while, but ultimately, we want to avoid situations where the most efficient game play isn't necessarily the most engaging and our investigations revealed this to be that kind of situation. We want a larger variety, rather than only one or two particular routes, to be the most rewarding way to play.

On a related note, we know a lot of you are still preparing for the launch of Reaper of Souls, so we’re also upping the ante on the Community bonus experience event. Starting right now and for this weekend only, the bonus experience provided will be upped from 50% to 100%. This should help you get all your nephalem heroes leveled and geared up for the battle against Malthael!

Exactly which "lower than average health pool" monsters will this be affecting?

The list is actually quite long, but we were specifically targeting enemies that "swarm." In other words, those that tend to appear in large quantities and offer little resistance.

So Blizzard nerfs parts of the game that really have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG instead of fixing say Resplendent chests that are anything but.

Grimiku actually posted about this quite recently.

Good news about Resplendent chest! We're going to buff the treasure that they yield, so that they feel more resplendent. There's been a lot of feedback about this, and it's definitely something we've noticed while playing, too. I don't have a time frame to share on when we can expect this change to happen, though, but it's something we plan to address.

1. As quoted above, this nerf applies to swarming cannon fodder.

This is the intent. Wakil gives some good examples of these types of enemies, I'll quote it again for convenience:

No, it's things like the little spiders in Caverns (Act 1), the swarming skeletons in CotA (and one would assume the cathedral ones as well.) the Scorpion/Spider things in Act 3 that are before Azmodan, Probably the little black things that burst out of the corruption in Act 4/Swarm you in the rifts. Things that swarm you and have like no HP so they die before they even get to you.

http://www.diablofans.com/news/47990-reaper-of-souls-launch-day-preparation-upcoming

They only nerfed the packs with low hp pools...but reading that even 100% xp is not working properly now.

Firemind

You guys just aren't hardcore enough. Blizzard has done us all a favor, you see? Now people will get tired of the game within the first month. Please be excited for Expansion Number Two: Diablo Harder At Level 80.

oneils

Wait what happend? XP reduced for packs? What? Please inform me in normal language what they have changed.

The updated hotfix notes explain that experience was reduced for monsters whose health pool was below average.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12032813274

Many people initially interpreted this to mean that the nerf only applies to swarming mobs like the little imps that pop out of the grotesques or the hornets that harass you in act II or the skeletons summoned by the summoners. The thought was that this is a Crypt of the Ancients nerf.

But lots of people are reporting that xp from many if not all white mobs have been nerfed by 50-70 percent. Now the thinking is that this is not a CotA nerf, but a paragon levelling nerf to make Reaper of Souls adventure mode and bounties more appealing.

Guess I better get to crafting that dex ring so I can level a monk and a dh. Any Europeans wanna do some ubers? Got 13 machines lying around. Thinking of trying T3-4.

mandiller

Reducing XP from monsters makes sense. In a few days time we'll be fighting lvl 70 monsters that give us more XP (or about the same amount we were getting before this nerf I suspect). It makes sense.

Nokterian

The updated hotfix notes explain that experience was reduced for monsters whose health pool was below average.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12032813274

Many people initially interpreted this to mean that the nerf only applies to swarming mobs like the little imps that pop out of the grotesques or the hornets that harass you in act II or the skeletons summoned by the summoners. The thought was that this is a Crypt of the Ancients nerf.

But lots of people are reporting that xp from many if not all white mobs have been nerfed by 50-70 percent. Now the thinking is that this is not a CotA nerf, but a paragon levelling nerf to make Reaper of Souls adventure mode and bounties more appealing.

I can understand this though. It's was way to easy at this point and to think that at level 70. Adventure mode/Bounty's/Nephalem Rifts and the last one will give enormous amounts of xp down the road then this was intented.

oneils

I can understand this though. It's was way to easy at this point and to think that at level 70. Adventure mode/Bounty's/Nephalem Rifts and the last one will give enormous amounts of xp down the road then this was intented.

Yeah, I understand it too. But it is a bummer for the weekend before launch. I wish they would have waited until a day or too into launch. It kind of ruins the hype.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Fuck it, not gonna protest

Gonna keep playing

This game fuckins sucks but it's still good

Melville

Guess I better get to crafting that dex ring so I can level a monk and a dh. Any Europeans wanna do some ubers? Got 13 machines lying around. Thinking of trying T3-4.

Yep, I'm in. I have two machines right now, farming act I to get at least a third one. Melville#2194

Nokterian

What.

Are we sure that people aren't just confusing this with the XP nerf combined with the 100% bonus?

It is confusing now you still get 100% xp bonus even after level 60 for paragon. Xp nerf only applied to low hp mobs. Instead of like say 600.000 xp you 300.000 xp instead if you kill packs.

Thrakier

Hey dudes, dudettes, yo-chi,

does anyone know if they fixed the look of the game in RoS? I think it is still hilarious how it looks vanilla. I'm a darkd3.com user now since the beginning and when I switch back and forth just for the lulz, I'm always shocked what they made out of the dark, gothic, somewhat frightening look of D1 and D2.

Nokterian

Just killed a bunch of monsters they really nerfed the hell out of it some not even intented by the looks of it or something went just wrong. Killed a bunch of elites and only got more xp from that then normal packs with high hp. That is wrong.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This must be a bug

They can't do such a huge change without testing it

They are reverting it back

They MUST do it

This must be a bug

They can't do such a huge change without testing it

They are reverting it back

They MUST do it

tumblr_inline_mmco39JSlA1qz4rgp.gif

Who gives a shit anymore? The game doesn't even have an economy to speak of

Salvage everything. You'll get the gold you need as you go, especially once you turn the difficulty up. Vendors will drain your cash fast, so try not to buy gear unless it's a good, solid upgrade.

At the start you want to sell items for gold so you can level up your Artisans fast. After they are all leveled up you start salvaging your items.
Hi there, thanks for the help, and sorry for the late reply. I assume that money will come naturally as I progress through the game, which is why I decided to salvage for the most part. It probably helps that I don't buy equipment, I tend to just use whatever I find lying around in games like this, haha. So, I just use my money to level up the blacksmith in New Tristram for now. If it's better to get as much money as possible to level the smith up, then I might consider selling some loot. I still like to salvage the magic items though, as they give a different material which I assume will be beneficial to hoard plenty of.

...Also, it seems like some form of EXP catastrophe is happening now. I wish I had access to a computer to see for myself, but then, I'm not too worried. A shame that rates have dropped if that is the case, but then I'd rather not be spoiled by that boost when I played a few days ago...I have a feeling that I might have leveled too fast, as I hit the starter edition limit before even reaching the...I think it was catacombs? Looking for a crown, I think...

Wallach

Hi there, thanks for the help, and sorry for the late reply. I assume that money will come naturally as I progress through the game, which is why I decided to salvage for the most part. It probably helps that I don't buy equipment, I tend to just use whatever I find lying around in games like this, haha. So, I just use my money to level up the blacksmith in New Tristram for now. If it's better to get as much money as possible to level the smith up, then I might consider selling some loot. I still like to salvage the magic items though, as they give a different material which I assume will be beneficial to hoard plenty of.

...Also, it seems like some form of EXP catastrophe is happening now. I wish I had access to a computer to see for myself, but then, I'm not too worried. A shame that rates have dropped if that is the case, but then I'd rather not be spoiled by that boost when I played a few days ago...I have a feeling that I might have leveled too fast, as I hit the starter edition limit before even reaching the...I think it was catacombs? Looking for a crown, I think...

People are freaking out because the past couple weeks XP was set to "plaid", while now it is merely "light speed".

A couple Gaffers and I joked a few days back about what seemingly random thing would make Yoshi flip the proverbial desk and "fuck it, i'm out" next, so the last two pages of posts made me nearly spit out my coffee. :)

Good times.

Dahbomb

Would be pretty hilarious if they severely nerfed mobs EXP and quest EXP to the point where the community bonus is actually working yet it's still less gains than when it was at 50%.

I am pretty sure it's a bug but then again so was the 2H Legendary damage roll and they haven't fixed that shit yet. This is probably one of those "but it works fine in RoS! We swear!" type of thing.

Yoshichan

"Unable to load the game license" when trying to create a game. Maybe they are rolling the hotfix back?

pls?

OMG!!!!!!!

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I went to bed looking forward to grinding out some levels today but after reading Reddit and this thread I can't even be bothered to log in. Nerfing XP across the board just before RoS when they made a big deal about giving us an XP buff to level up before RoS is beyond ridiculous.

garath

Drops were good to me this morning even if XP wasnt. Got 4 legendaries, two which were major upgrades and farmed another two machines. Going to try and help my poor friend get his ring Monday

Robin64

My hunter was 46 about halfway through Act 3. By the time I killed Diablo, I just barely dinged 50. This was on Hard, plus lots of +xp gear, plus the buff. That ain't right!

Kacho

I'm getting mad stutter today on the US east servers.

Drops were good to me this morning even if XP wasnt. Got 4 legendaries, two which were major upgrades and farmed another two machines. Going to try and help my poor friend get his ring Monday

I got two rings off of Diablo last night and three legs in an hour this morning. Crazy.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So, I'm going to assume that people have informed Blizzard that the Community XP buff may be borked, right? Hope its fixed when I get home from work. =x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom