• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ucdawg12

when someone says a full play through at level 60 takes 1.5-2 hours, how are they completing it so fast? do they just skip normal mobs? it took me like 30 hours to beat this game the first time i played it lol

CoLaN

I was seriously angry at Blizzard for how bad this game was at release. Now, after all the changes, its how it should have been: a blast to play. Also, its awesome how many different and effective builds you can make on the fly.

yUVIUAi.png

eyLb9ZP.png

DING PARAGON 300!

Paragon 0 -> 100 = 4 days (unsure about this, I can't confirm when I started playing)
Paragon 100 -> 200 = 1 week, 2 days
Paragon 200 -> 300 = 1 week, 1 day

HYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KS85Q7w.jpg

Gratz man! Glad to see you made it. A shame I had to leave earlier. I hope you're online tomorrow for some mothering so I can reach 200.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
@ McDonalds to the cashier

I WANT YOU TO TAKE THAT MENU... AND DOUBLE IT.

MCDONALDS HYPE

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm an unreasonably salty about not being in the first GAF clan man. I'm mad as hell.

If you jump to the best clan (EU), you can still be in the first GAF clan :D!

Anyone have suggestions for a Wizard at 60? I do not seem to be doing great damage anymore. I am sure things have been balanced and changed a lot since release.

Mayyhem

I know this is probably too much to ask. But I don't have any close friends who play Diablo 3. But would anybody be able to help power level my wizard a little bit? I'm lvl 14, and I'm not asking for you to play with me for hours. It's just taking me so long on my own its getting so boring

My Bnet is Mayyhem#1529

Also, who do I message to join the overflow GAF clan?

Kacho

I know this is probably too much to ask. But I don't have any close friends who play Diablo 3. But would anybody be able to help power level my wizard a little bit? I'm lvl 14, and I'm not asking for you to play with me for hours. It's just taking me so long on my own its getting so boring

My Bnet is Mayyhem#1529

Also, who do I message to join the overflow GAF clan?

I can help you tomorrow if you're on NA servers if you don't get the help you need today.

Raptomex

So I got D3 when it came out. When I first started playing it I would lose interest really quickly. I probably started 4 or 5 characters and never got past Act 1. But after this loot 2.0 thing and the removal of the AH I'm really enjoying this much more. I'm already on Act 2 and I can't stop. But I still miss the depth D2 had. The skill system here is still inferior.

Just bought the Diablo 3 bunduru with the expansion. Will be my first time playing it this Tuesday. Really want to play crusader as my favorite class in D2 was paladin. Been reading crusader is kinda not too great endgame though, so I hope that isn't true, but regardless ill be playing that class anyways.

Lothars

So I got D3 when it came out. When I first started playing it I would lose interest really quickly. I probably started 4 or 5 characters and never got past Act 1. But after this loot 2.0 thing and the removal of the AH I'm really enjoying this much more. I'm already on Act 2 and I can't stop. But I still miss the depth D2 had. The skill system here is still inferior.
I disagree the depth is not lacking and I don't get the complaint about this.

Raxious

yUVIUAi.png

eyLb9ZP.png

DING PARAGON 300!

Paragon 0 -> 100 = 4 days (unsure about this, I can't confirm when I started playing)

KS85Q7w.jpg

Goddamn Yo-Chi-Chan.

In other news, I ended up putting 10$ on my battle.net account after raging to Blizzard support. Now I'm considering doing a 24 hour livestream just for RoS :eek:

KooPaL

After playing so much, I just realized there was an advanced tooltip so it shows damage percentages haha. Thank God I don't have to alt tab and build now in their calculator.

Nete

yUVIUAi.png

eyLb9ZP.png

DING PARAGON 300!

KS85Q7w.jpg

Grats on that! Shame I wasn't there thanks to a goddam flood shutting down all the electrical grid of the neighborhood (5 times in the last 2 hours).

Lets see if I can grind some levels now. *Crossing fingers*

Raptomex

I disagree the depth is not lacking and I don't get the complaint about this.
D3 just unlocks skills as I go. D2 and even the Torchlight games allow me to allocate points and choose skills. There's multiple skill trees. Characters were more unique.

Sigmaah

There is an in game option for hiding the cursor, might have clicked it by mistake. I think it's under gameplay.

I didn't see the option in gameplay

I switched to windows fullscreen mode and it came back, but i don't wanna play like that for my mouse icon to be back.... WHAT THE HELL!

Yoshichan

This thread title disgusts me. The sound effect of crusader hammers pale in the light of the paladin hammers.

Aw come on man, get dem goggles off! Crusaders are valid as FUCK

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Original GAF Clan is best Clan, I asked for some uber runs help yesterday night and in less than a minute 3 overpowered dudes came to my recue with infernal machines et all and helped me craft my ring.

Same thing happened last night in the Overflow GAF clan. I would know, I'm almost on my third ring after last night hahaha.

Simply put - GAFers are awesome in general.

alba

Little is the new Big
Same thing happened last night in the Overflow GAF clan. I would know, I'm almost on my third ring after last night hahaha.

Wee, gotta do that again tonight, I almost have enough keys for 4 infernal machines :D (Need it for my second & third ring)

Lothars

D3 just unlocks skills as I go. D2 and even the Torchlight games allow me to allocate points and choose skills. There's multiple skill trees. Characters were more unique.
Doesn't mean it's accurate, you can have characters use the unique skills and not be the same. I think in some ways this is the better system than d2 had just because If you screwed up a build than your probably have to restart the character.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Wee, gotta do that again tonight, I almost have enough keys for 4 infernal machines :D (Need it for my second & third ring)

I have enough for four myself, and am going to be lazily farming some more keys from Act IV keywarden when I get home from my nephews pinewood derby this evening. With any luck I might have another machine or two by the time we would start again.

You still have to choose a loadout in D3. No different from D2. You just don't need to keep going back to Kasha to respec.

How many builds were actually good though?

Torchlight 1 and 2 had straight out abilities that you unlocked late in the game and were simply put way superior in every which way than earlier, similar abilities.

In Torchlight 2 I also kept running around with unused skill points because I wasn't sure what to use them on or if it isn't better to keep some of them for a skill that unlocks later and may be better. It was similar for stats as well, no idea what to spend them on.

Overall Torchlight 2 had a rather terrible skill system but then again I personally never liked the one from D2 either.

Quite frankly, the praise that Torchight 2 got is rather laughable in hindsight, when that game has zero traction these days. Just checked and there's a whooping 8 users on it's subreddit currently. Some days ago it was even just 2.

Torchlight 2 was that kind of game that people wanted to hype and praise, especially with all the D3 drama. Ultimately though there is nothing remarkable about that game. The itemization is crap (few people cared much because no one really played the 'endgame' of it anyways), the combat simply weaker than D3 and the story and lore just so unbelievably uninteresting.

I mean the story execution in Diablo 3 was already bad but at least the lore and general atmosphere of that game is just right. In Torchlight... you just don't care about the world.

Javaman

Yeah, thanks Zero, Alba, Flutter, and other guy with a Z in his name. I had pretty much 0 expectation that I would be able to craft a hellfire ring before the expansion but thanks to you guys got one last night. Now if I can just get rid of these 7 keys of destruction!

Megasoum

Banned
I wish you could join more than one clan... I want to be in my friend's clan because I want to play with them and chat with them more easily but we're only like 7-8 so it's kinda dead.

Dahbomb

Skill trees generally define a character or build. The choice in selecting options on a tree is a matter of commitment. When you put in the commitment you are more attached to your character and it's more or less a permanent feature of the character (not counting the re-spec of course). In essence it's more core to what a "ROLE PLAYING GAME" is... you are defined to a role that you choose.

However it doesn't lead to more "depth", it just means that it takes longer for people to figure out optimum skill paths and it takes longer for people to figure out synergies or generally experiment with the game. That's one of the reasons why D2 has lasted so long, it takes a long ass time to experiment completely in the game because experimenting means there are going to be a bunch of characters that are useless which you are forced to delete because you tried a build which you realized wasn't viable/good.

In D3 the choice is there.. the commitment isn't. That means that you are free to experiment at any time. Yesterday I think I experimented with 3-4 different DH builds within a span of like 2 hours. I wouldn't have this luxury in D2. Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing, it's up to debate. One thing is for sure... it takes a hell of a lot less time to figure out the good builds in D3 than in D2.

The skill system in D3 is more representative of an action game than an RPG IMO. It's like you choose your skill loadout at the start of your run like in DMC3. Everything is unlocked for you, you just have to choose which combination of skills/moves you want to use at a given time. Again... it's debatable whether this is a good thing for a loot based ARPG but I will tell you for sure, it's better for an action game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom