• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecto311

Will be glad when "glorious" is fazed out and some other shit word is used. I read that word a million times a day come on people think of something else or be original. Just PM me and Ill give you a word to use.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
What a beautiful thread title.

vvvhhmmm vvvhhmmm vvvhhmmm
WideAchingGermanspitz.gif

Skunkers

Will be glad when "glorious" is fazed out and some other shit word is used. I read that word a million times a day come on people think of something else or be original. Just PM me and Ill give you a word to use.

The primary new class in the game is The Crusader, a holy warrior. Plus Templar's dialogue. In this case he was specifically riffing on that stuff. Chill.

Uthred

Stupid question, decided to try out WD, seen loads of builds using Spirit Walk but Im wondering whats the point of the skill? It doesnt seem to do anything useful

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Stupid question, decided to try out WD, seen loads of builds using Spirit Walk but Im wondering whats the point of the skill? It doesnt seem to do anything useful

Lots of invincibilty frames, increased movement speed, breaks frozen/jailer. It's fucking good.

I use spirit walk as a travelling ability. You need grave injustice? (the passive that reduces cooldown by 1 sec per kill within xx range, boosted by your own pickup range).

Basically, spirit walk jaunt to a pack, kill, spirit walk to next pack, jaunt. It helps to have offhand that increases gold pickup range by 20 yards.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Can't help but wonder if it is worth dropping $5 for some gold to save up.

Depends, how much do you have? I sold some alt gear and made £10.40 which I used to buy 250m and I'm glad I did.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Heh, I just jumped back into the game after a loooong time off. I have a little over 1m gold.

Then I would buy some gold, you won't be able to craft the top tier gems or use the Mystic with only 1m. If you want to earn some gold farm white items and sell them for around 50k each, I've made about 25m doing this since the patch. Cathedral and Halls of Agony in act1 are good for this as they have so many weapon racks.

th3dude

Then I would buy some gold, you won't be able to craft the top tier gems or use the Mystic with only 1m. If you want to earn some gold farm white items and sell them for around 50k each, I've made about 25m doing this since the patch. Cathedral and Halls of Agony in act1 are good for this as they have so many weapon racks.

I had no idea. I've been ignoring whites. Thanks for that.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I had no idea. I've been ignoring whites. Thanks for that.

Whites are selling like hot cakes right now, this includes grey items as well. I'd also advise selling all your gems as you'll find better almost instantly in RoS.

V_Arnold

Damn it...I really hope the servers hold up for day 1 updates + flood of new people...

I can guarantee you that it wont. They will refuse to rent/buy additional authenticator servers, and those were bottlenecks last time as well. I got in around 1:30 at D3 launch, and had lagless experience once I was in. Auth servers suck, and they are dumb at not considering some sort of dynamic resource management for this kind of event.

I mean, we could be optimistic, but even dead Diablo III vanilla-patches had downtimes, one year after launch, the friggin error 37 was back for an afternoon...damn.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Damn it...I really hope the servers hold up for day 1 updates + flood of new people...

Honestly I'm doubtful. The servers have been crippled by the influx of players since 2.0.1, and RoS will bring even more people back.

Carlow

rolling out Heroes of the storm Alpha and RoS with in 2 weeks of each other is asking for trouble.

that being said, there's a queue system now in place, which i'm sure will be lovely.(it was on the PTR, haven't seen it on live yet tho.)

Begaria

My tag is Begaria#1359. I like loud War Cries and Hammering the shit out of stuff.

Oh yeah, you Crusader wannabe's got nothin' on the Barb's Hammer of the Ancients.

SMASH SMASH SMASH SMASH

Cels

I played some of the 2.0 patchthat everyone is raving about. About 10-12 hours I think. I can see why people are so excited, with how loot is "smart", and how you have a good chance of getting upgrades through drops instead of having to resort to the AH. That was definitely one of the biggest issues in the game for me, that you could be 5-stack NV farming elite packs for hours and not get any upgrades or anything even good to sell in the AH. So I like that. Having legendaries drop with a pity timer is pretty exciting too although I think the novelty wore off once I realized that 80% of them were sidegrades or downgrades to my gear.

I still have two main issues with the game:

First, maps are still not random enough. This was a hallmark of D1 and D2 and every other ARPG I can think of. I'm sure you are all familiar with how most maps are static save for the placement of landmarks/objectives. E.g. when you are finding Kulle's blood it's always in a large desert shaped like a ring with inaccessible terrain in the middle, and his lair is always in the northwest part of the desert. If you name any other outdoor map in the game (and even some indoor ones) chances are it's the same overall layout. And even objectives aren't random a lot of the time, e.g. act 3 signal fires, catapults, trebuchet always being in the middle of the map, etc. Even maps that are somewhat randomly generated (most indoor maps) often have objectives in the same relative positions, e.g. Butcher's room is always northeast, the Breach is always northwest, etc.

Travis Day, game designer, even commented on this almost exactly a year ago http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8518301745#3, claiming they were "actively investigating" how to make more random experiences, and that running parts of act 3 is "less random than what [they] would like the experience to be."

So has the patch done anything to make the experience more random than before? I don't see that it has. That was one of the issues with the game for me.

Second, the problem with loot progression still remains, and I'm not sure what their plan going forward with it is. Let me elaborate: when you are leveling, it is very easy to find upgrades. Once you hit the max level, it's still easy to find upgrades...at first But as your gear gets better and better, it becomes more and more difficult to find upgrades. The time interval between upgrades gets longer and longer, and this is especially true when you can reroll undesirable affixes with the Mystic. What is Blizzard going to do about this? You could sidestep this problem with ladders, by resetting everyone every few months. That way no one but the most diehard players will get to that point where they have to play 50 hr to find one upgrade. For people who don't want to play on the ladders I suppose you could update the game regularly and add new gear. I'm just speaking to my experience with vanilla, where I played a great deal from launch (May) to about August and then stopped entirely because I felt the game no longer had anything to offer me. I don't want that to happen again with RoS.

Other thoughts:
I like teleporting to any waypoint or party member from anywhere in the world. Even though it only saves you a few seconds from TPing first, it feels a lot more convenient.
Infinite Paragon system is neat, no longer being pushed into playing one character is good.
The PvP arena system promised in 2012 is nowhere to be seen. I wonder if they're ever going to come out and say it's scrapped once and for all.
People who don't buy the expansion are 100% screwed if they want upgrades to pre-2.0 2Hs, sources, or mojos.

Svafnir

I can guarantee you that it wont. They will refuse to rent/buy additional authenticator servers, and those were bottlenecks last time as well. I got in around 1:30 at D3 launch, and had lagless experience once I was in. Auth servers suck, and they are dumb at not considering some sort of dynamic resource management for this kind of event.

I mean, we could be optimistic, but even dead Diablo III vanilla-patches had downtimes, one year after launch, the friggin error 37 was back for an afternoon...damn.

They had downtime due to applying the patches, sometimes login issues. But never again issues with too many people, since a lot of people quit not long after release.

However looking at WoW and other Blizzard games. SC2/WoW both had issues at launch, but then expansions always go much smoother as they already have the infastructure and a large amount of people actively playing the game. So I am not expecting any real issues, the game server works. It's been tested.

But I could be wrong and it will all break.

Dahbomb

Neph Rifts are supposed to be the randomized dungeons. Only in the expansion though.

As far as getting upgrades slower when you start having top items... that's like every single ARPG out there.

Svafnir

First, maps are still not random enough. This was a hallmark of D1 and D2 and every other ARPG I can think of. I'm sure you are all familiar with how most maps are static save for the placement of landmarks/objectives. E.g. when you are finding Kulle's blood it's always in a large desert shaped like a ring with inaccessible terrain in the middle, and his lair is always in the northwest part of the desert. If you name any other outdoor map in the game (and even some indoor ones) chances are it's the same overall layout. And even objectives aren't random a lot of the time, e.g. act 3 signal fires, catapults, trebuchet always being in the middle of the map, etc. Even maps that are somewhat randomly generated (most indoor maps) often have objectives in the same relative positions, e.g. Butcher's room is always northeast, the Breach is always northwest, etc.

Travis Day, game designer, even commented on this almost exactly a year ago http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8518301745#3, claiming they were "actively investigating" how to make more random experiences, and that running parts of act 3 is "less random than what [they] would like the experience to be."

So has the patch done anything to make the experience more random than before? I don't see that it has. That was one of the issues with the game for me.

Random is the main point of Reaper of Souls... The rifts in Adventure Mode (the main thing you will be doing, is completely random)

The layout
The weather
The lighting (some are FREAKING DARK, or maybe foggy and not much visibility)
The monsters (goblins can even roll as a random enemy type, including cows from cow level)
The combination of monsters also (obviously)
The Boss at the end (can be any boss from the game or something completely unique and no where else)
This goes along with layout, but the tileset is completely random. One floor of the dungeon might look Act 1 and the next one will the tilset of a rare spawn dungeon of act 5.

Basically, rifts takes every single thing from the game and throws it together randomly.

Cels

Random is the main point of Reaper of Souls... The rifts in Adventure Mode (the main thing you will be doing, is completely random)

The layout
The weather
The lighting (some are FREAKING DARK, or maybe foggy and not much visibility)
The monsters (goblins can even roll as a random enemy type, including cows from cow level)
The combination of monsters also (obviously)
The Boss at the end (can be any boss from the game or something completely unique and no where else)
This goes along with layout, but the tileset is completely random. One floor of the dungeon might look Act 1 and the next one will the tilset of a rare spawn dungeon of act 5.

Basically, rifts takes every single thing from the game and throws it together randomly.

so are they not going to do anything to acts 1-4? i get adventure mode, but what about just plain going through the story?

Skab

so are they not going to do anything to acts 1-4? i get adventure mode, but what about just plain going through the story?

They have changed up how most of the boss fights work. But as far as the rest of the acts go they're largely unchanged.

Gxgear

Is it worth it to grind all the classes to 60 before the exp bonus goes away, which I'm assuming is hen RoS comes out?

Granadier

Is it worth it to grind all the classes to 60 before the exp bonus goes away, which I'm assuming is hen RoS comes out?

It only take ~7 hours solo or much, much less if you have a 60 to rush you, so I'd say go for it if you have extra characters.

Svafnir

Um, you beat story mode to unlock adventure mode now. This is not Diablo 2 where you play through story 100x anymore. You can reset your story mode progression and you will get slightly better rewards (exp and items) for redoing it, along with a guaranteed legendary drop for killing Diablo.

But that's it. If you are playing story mode in Reaper of Souls, you are doing it wrong.

Edit: Story mode also gets cursed chests. They are random things that appear in the environment and start an event. But the really crazy ones are adventue mode only. These are things like "Kill an endless wave of monsters" where monsters infinite spawn for 100 seconds, and depending how many you kill, you get a better reward.

Dawg

man i should catch some sleep, the dark souls II OT was just under this one and I read "Diablo II |OT|"

Gxgear

It only take ~7 hours solo or much, much less if you have a 60 to rush you, so I'd say go for it if you have extra characters.

Is there a recommended zone and/or setting to grind each other? Not too familiar with how the game works now after all the changes. Thanks in advance.

Cels

They have changed up how most of the boss fights work. But as far as the rest of the acts go they're largely unchanged.

I've done all the bossfights on the 2.0 patch as I solo leveled a hardcore character from 1-60 on the new patch, and did a fresh run on an existing 60. As far as I could tell, SK, Queen Araneae, Butcher, Zoltun Kulle, Belial, Ghom, Cydaea, Iskatu, Rakanoth, and Diablo were unchanged. So if they really changed how "most" of the boss fights work, as you say, I didn't see it.

As far as I could tell, they changed three bosses: Maghda, Siegebreaker, and Azmodan.

Maghda changed for the better I'd say, no more invulnerability at 75/50/25%. Added those transforming cultist adds, and her old adds now have Frozen/Molten affixes.
SB has the demon spitting guys on the sides.
Azmodan had a subtle change in that the black pools he creates push you towards the center...which makes the fight easier and more boring. At least before he could blanket the entire area with black pools. He seems to spawn more summoning portals as well.

I really think there was a missed opportunity to update Diablo. As it is he's supposed to be the pinnacle of the game (at least until RoS) and frankly he's as boring as ever. At least your clones can use their new level 61 abilities. There's always room for them to do more though. So, if you count your clones using class abilities that would be four changed bosses.

Um, you beat story mode to unlock adventure mode now. This is not Diablo 2 where you play through story 100x anymore.

It's pretty disappointing if the stale act 1-4 maps are unchanged but if it's true that we're going to be playing adventure mode most of the time, then I guess it's acceptable.

Granadier

Stop it. stop it. My hype..is reaching critical.......mooss...massss.....moo

Is there a recommended zone and/or setting to grind each other? Not too familiar with how the game works now after all the changes. Thanks in advance.

Granadier said:
For anyone looking to level up some extra characters while the exp bonus is active.

Fastest way I found is to load your low level up with exp boosting gear, (hellfire ring, ruby in helm, any other exp boosts), and then have a geared 60 run you through Torment 6.

Lowbie creates T6 game at act 1 beginning, (graveyard a1 runs work even better).
60 geared joins lowbie's game and runs a train on all the enemies. (they will be scaled off game creator, so they will be lowbie T6 mobs)
Lowbie sits back and gets blinded by leveling flashes

Svafnir

I really think there was a missed opportunity to update Diablo. As it is he's supposed to be the pinnacle of the game (at least until RoS) and frankly he's as boring as ever. At least your clones can use their new level 61 abilities. There's always room for them to do more though. So, if you count your clones using class abilities that would be four changed bosses.
Here is the new Uber Diablo fight.

It's pretty disappointing if the stale act 1-4 maps are unchanged but if it's true that we're going to be playing adventure mode most of the time, then I guess it's acceptable.

If you have already beat act 1-4, you will beat act 5 in Reaper of Souls. You will never ever touch the story mode again. You will visit acts in Adventure Mode, but that's just to do bounties to unlock rifts. You will only replay story mode, if you want to. I can't see a reason why Blizzard would re-do story mode, it's been replaced.

Zertez

Im very excited for this expansion. D3 has come a long ways from the state it was in at release and the game seems to get better with each patch. I have my collectors edition reserved with Amazon and hopefully the game ships on time, so I get it on release day. March has been a great month, so the wait for Reaper of Souls hasnt been too bad.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Damn you GAF. I was really trying to hold off and not double dip on this but reading through this thread has made me realize that resisting is futile, no way will I be able to wait on the PS4 version.

If you'll excuse me, I have to go level up my wizard.

and I don't mean masturbate you sick bastards.

Dahbomb

I think they said that Act 5 will have more randomization but it seems like it's hard for them to randomize areas in Act 1-4. I wouldn't expect it of course... they clearly want you to be running Adventure Mode and Rifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom