• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You are always leveling up in D3 as well through Paragon points. No matter what you are always incrementally improving as a character.
Yeah, but because some people are getting into the high hundreds with Paragon levels, now that reward loop will be much slower for the average player.

Ladders won't be for everyone, just like having the drive and the motivation to powerlevel like crazy isn't something that everyone can do. Heck, I'm surprised to see that my level of motivation is high to a point where I'm going to do in 3 weeks what I wanted to accomplish 2 years ago ( get 100+ paragon levels and 3-4 characters to 60). :p

I must of played through the first act 20+ time in the last 2 weeks which is insane. I feel like I could keep going for months, but I need a break (which I'll take to fix the laptop and buy a video card for my PC so not playing the expansion at launch). Still, it's a good thing that nephalem rifts will be short (15-20 minutes) so the game can be rewarding in small dose since right now it's pretty much all or nothing with the exp boost which you should take advantage of. In retrospective, the exp nerf might be a good thing once we see the exp reward from bounties and rifts instead of having to do insane exp grind. :)
I'm hoping the adventure mode and whatnot will living things up for a while. I tried to grind CotA and I just couldn't do it. :(

Dahbomb

Reward loop will be the same for the average player. You put in a couple hours a day on Torment 1, get a few Legendaries, get a few Paragon points and call it a day. It's when you do more than that is when you become more than an "average" player.

I think the run cycle in RoS will look something like this:

*Play some Bounties, complete all 5 for Rift.
*Play the Rift and finish it.
*Open up Horadric Cache, ID Legendaries.
*Gamble with the red shards.
*Maybe craft, upgrade gems or enchant gear.
*Gain Paragon points in the process.

Probably more interesting than whatever we are doing now.

DSmalls84

Reward loop will be the same for the average player. You put in a couple hours a day on Torment 1, get a few Legendaries, get a few Paragon points and call it a day. It's when you do more than that is when you become more than an "average" player.

I need to read up more on the changes. I have no clue how adventure mode, bounties or rifts work.

Xyber

That sounds infinitely more fun than having to listen to the same story dialogue over and over and over again. :p

kitzkozan

I'm hoping the adventure mode and whatnot will living things up for a while. I tried to grind CotA and I just couldn't do it. :(

Adventure mode should be more rewarding for average/casual players. If nothing else, just psychologically so you don't hear the same storyline dialogue over and over. :p

I'm going to do a CotA run now that you talk about it lol. I can tolerate an hour of that grind without going insane here and there. :p

Dahbomb

The basic out line is this:

*Adventure Mode is a separate mode from Campaign mode where all way points are unlocked from all Acts so you can freely travel wherever (even between different Acts). There is no story, cutscene or dialogue in it.

*Bounties are randomized events/quests that have you going to various areas to complete the objective (they are usually simple stuff like kill a unique monster). I think there are 5 in each Act for a total of 25 per instance. You get rewards for completing each but you get a full Rift Keystone and Horadric Cache for completing them all. You also get Blood Shards for Bounties.

(I am not 100% sure on the reward structure as it changed so much over the course of the beta)

*Horadric Caches are just goody bags you click on in your inventory and a fountain of loot explodes.

*Rift Keystones allow you to open Nephalem Rift which is a completely randomized dungeon with a map at the end (think of it like a white map in PoE). You need 5 shards to complete one Keystone IIRC. I believe you get one Greater Horadric Cache for finishing a Rift but again I am not 100% sure.

*Blood Shards are a new form of currency used exclusively for gambling. You can go to the Gambler and gamble an unidentified item... which can be a Blue, Yellow or even a Legendary if you are lucky. You can instead save up your Shards for a Greater Horadric Cache which is like 5 Horadric Caches in one.

DSmalls84

Adventure mode should be more rewarding for average/casual players. If nothing else, just psychologically so you don't hear the same storyline dialogue over and over. :p

I'm going to do a CotA run now that you talk about it lol. I can tolerate an hour of that grind without going insane here and there. :p

I don't mind replaying acts and grinding for loot but act 2 always seems the longest. Kind of of tired of all the khuul monologues you have to listen to.

I don't mind replaying acts and grinding for loot but act 2 always seems the longest. Kind of of tired of all the khuul monologues you have to listen to.

If there's dialogue (with a box at the bottom), hitting esc cancels the entire talk. If someone is blabbing in general, spacebar usually skips through their talking.

I hardly hear anything these days, thanks to the skip cutscene option - except for the Enchantress flavours.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
The basic out line is this:

*Adventure Mode is a separate mode from Campaign mode where all way points are unlocked from all Acts so you can freely travel wherever (even between different Acts). There is no story, cutscene or dialogue in it.

*Bounties are randomized events/quests that have you going to various areas to complete the objective (they are usually simple stuff like kill a unique monster). I think there are 5 in each Act for a total of 25 per instance. You get rewards for completing each but you get a full Rift Keystone and Horadric Cache for completing them all. You also get Blood Shards for Bounties.

(I am not 100% sure on the reward structure as it changed so much over the course of the beta)

*Horadric Caches are just goody bags you click on in your inventory and a fountain of loot explodes.

*Rift Keystones allow you to open Nephalem Rift which is a completely randomized dungeon with a map at the end (think of it like a white map in PoE). You need 5 shards to complete one Keystone IIRC. I believe you get one Greater Horadric Cache for finishing a Rift but again I am not 100% sure.

*Blood Shards are a new form of currency used exclusively for gambling. You can go to the Gambler and gamble an unidentified item... which can be a Blue, Yellow or even a Legendary if you are lucky. You can instead save up your Shards for a Greater Horadric Cache which is like 5 Horadric Caches in one.

this sounds amazing

Ashodin

Got my melee Demon Hunter to 60, equipped some junk gear that wasn't good enough for my main Demon Hunter (+ my monk's shield) and waltzed through a Torment II Skeleton King run like it was nothing. What the HELL.
I originally made this character as a jokey novelty, but not only is he pretty darn tanky with mediocre gear (T2 arcane+poison elites could barely scratch him, where my fragile "main" would crumble on sight), he seems to clear levels faster than my traditional Demon Hunter with double the DPS on her character sheet.
He has an amulet that has a chance to pull enemies together, so he plays like a highly explosive Monk on speed. It's the weirdest thing I've seen in the game to date.

Except now my ranged Demon Hunter's frailty kind of bums me out and I might have to start playing the Monk to upgrade a Demon Hunter's gear. This is all your fault, Ashodin!
These are the types of stories I like to hear. Welcome to the order of the lion, brother

YO YO YOU'RE GOD DAMN RIGHT!

missed opportunity. I got you though Yoshi

tumblr_m9en10uqX41qit8aco3_500.gif

Gothos

Ladders won't be for everyone, just like having the drive and the motivation to powerlevel like crazy isn't something that everyone can do. Heck, I'm surprised to see that my level of motivation is high to a point where I'm going to do in 3 weeks what I wanted to accomplish 2 years ago ( get 100+ paragon levels and 3-4 characters to 60). :p

I must of played through the first act 20+ time in the last 2 weeks which is insane. I feel like I could keep going for months, but I need a break (which I'll take to fix the laptop and buy a video card for my PC so not playing the expansion at launch). Still, it's a good thing that nephalem rifts will be short (15-20 minutes) so the game can be rewarding in small dose since right now it's pretty much all or nothing with the exp boost which you should take advantage of. In retrospective, the exp nerf might be a good thing once we see the exp reward from bounties and rifts instead of having to do insane exp grind. :)

Yep, to be honest imho they should have unlocked Adenture Mode right from the start, without the need to complete Campaign mode and just get rid of that 50%/100% XP bonus during this weekend. It would be more balanced in terms of game longevity and people already grinding like hell which may in turn burn them out quicker even before the expansion hits the servers. It was weird decision by Blizz, imho.

So, I've just hit 60 and Paragon 1 on my Wizard.
Whats best for me to start doing now to farm for Paragon levels?

Any particular difficulty or area etc?

And does anyone have any good Wizard builds?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Xyber

I think everything has been nerfed at this point?

First quest where you go out and kill wretched mothers and up until you kills Dalton in the cellar is a good place to get some XP and with a fairly high chance of getting legendaries as well.

Every mother (there's 5-6 of them in that area) almost always drops an item. When it drops it's mostly a yellow, but I've gotten a couple of legendaries from them as well. Then on T2 and above there's almost always a named dude that is super easy to kill, he moves really slow so getting hit is almost impossible as a ranged.

You also have a few cellars with a big chance of chests and a goblin in the last one near the waypoint.

I'm paragon ~122 now and I get about 2 bars on one run that takes about 4 minutes on T2. I just kill all trash mobs that get in my way.

Ghost23

I want to try another wizard build that isn't the frozen orb build I've been using for a little while. Any other fun builds that the wizards here would like to share?

Granadier

I want to try another wizard build that isn't the frozen orb build I've been using for a little while. Any other fun builds that the wizards here would like to share?

My friend runs a fire build and he loves it.

Fire spectral blades + meteor + fire familiar + whatever other skills you want.

Granadier

Oooo that sounds awesome. Do you know what other two skills he uses?

Explosive blast (short fuse) + Magic weapon (Ignite) + Energy armor (prismatic)

Conflagration, prodigy and blur for passives.

He basically just walks into a mob group, drops meteors, and then blows up.

Kosma

Banned
Went from 1-60 on a new char (barb) in 7 days, paragon lvl 18.

First time i played since getting to 60 2 years ago on my wd.

Loot 2.0 made the game much better an i bought ROS :)

Khezu

What's everyone's opinion on the paragon system?

I'm not sure how I feel about it, I sorta understand why it is what it is, but I just find it such an odd mechanic.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
AAAAAAAAAAH! So much downtime!

Need geared monk in EU, STAT! PM ME!!!

What's everyone's opinion on the paragon system?

I'm not sure how I feel about it, I sorta understand why it is what it is, but I just find it such an odd mechanic.

A quick band-aid to give people an extra carrot to chase, since the kvetching of "I hit max level now what so booored" got really out of hand at launch. It's not a perfect system, but it's better than nothing (better now since 2.0 too).

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
So I haven't played D3 in like 6 months and plan on getting back into it with the expansion. I have a couple of lvl 60 characters with pretty good legendary gear. Should I start over or go ahead and use the characters that I have? I feel that starting over will let me experience the 'new' D3 in full.

kitzkozan

Yep, to be honest imho they should have unlocked Adenture Mode right from the start, without the need to complete Campaign mode and just get rid of that 50%/100% XP bonus during this weekend. It would be more balanced in terms of game longevity and people already grinding like hell which may in turn burn them out quicker even before the expansion hits the servers. It was weird decision by Blizz, imho.

It's fine that we have to go through the campaign at east once since I see adventure mode as the ideal farming and grinding mode once you reach max level or want to level up alts quickly. :)

The bonus exp was mostly so gamers could level up a couple of character to level 60 and bring people back to the game (which worked).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom