• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sqwarlock

So how is Act V guys? Without spoilers and without the added hype please.

It's by far the best act in the game in terms of content, pacing, side quests, level design, etc. Some of the areas seem really big too. I felt like I rushed through a lot of the "field" areas and it still took me five hours lol

Rageino

Played to 70 last night with a group of 3 friends, we hit 70 around 2 1/2 hours in on Torment 1, and still not finished the act. Kudos to Blizz on a smooth launch, although we were logged in before the xpac hit.

It's a blast so far, really enjoying the setting (Westmarch is great), the sheer tonne of events (which are so good most of them felt like they were part of the main storyline), and the music is fantastic, it makes me feel so tense!

Looking forward to checking out the Crusader later, early thoughts on him?

Was in some random dungeon in Westmarch (Plagued Tunnels, something like that) and the most awesome music came on. Just really foreboding trumpets and horns, then proceeded to enter an event which properly kicked my ass
where you go into a square arena and have to fight off a bunch of reapers, whilst these four furnaces spew out streams of hot molten death, before finally defeating a purple reaper

Sooooooo good

joesmokey

Probably the best drop I've gotten for the night:
1RxPhJT.png

Act V on Torment I is slow for me. Should probably drop it to Master...

Got a 2hr legendary at lvl 70 :(.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
started my crusader on normal, am I doing it wrong? I havent played D3 in months, no idea what the deal with the new difficulty settings is.

Im level 9 atm, she is very...tanky so far (I dont know what I expected lol)

Was in some random dungeon in Westmarch (Plagued Tunnels, something like that) and the most awesome music came on. Just really foreboding trumpets and horns, then proceeded to enter an event which properly kicked my ass
where you go into a square arena and have to fight off a bunch of reapers, whilst these four furnaces spew out streams of hot molten death, before finally defeating a purple reaper

Sooooooo good

Fond memories of four of us on Torment 1 running around that room screaming for help for about 10 minutes. Punishing.

started my crusader on normal, am I doing it wrong? I havent played D3 in months, no idea what the deal with the new difficulty settings is.

Play it by ear. You might want to up it to hard to get a little challenge. A lot of people think Hard is the good balance for levelling. The higher difficulties can be quite slow though more challenging.

Robin64

You can't really "do it wrong", but if you're finding it pretty easy I would suggest bumping up to Hard. Still too easy? Go to Expert. Really, just play around and find where you're comfortable. It's really flexible now.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist

I bumped mine to Hard at like level 5. Normal is just a joke with any character. Get dat experience.

Robin64

This must be longest day at work ever. fml.

I hear ya. It's painful. Had time for just 6 bounties this morning before having to leave for work, and I just want to get back into it.

Tell me about it. I'm shattered since I stayed up until 3am to hit level 70 on my barbarian; so that's not helping much either.

Haha, 3am for me too. wasn't going bed til I'd finished Act V and seen a bit of Adventure Mode. Suffering now at work, but I really don't care about it too much here.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Play it by ear. You might want to up it to hard to get a little challenge. A lot of people think Hard is the good balance for levelling. The higher difficulties can be quite slow though more challenging.

I dont really care about challenge per se (I played marvel heroes for christ sake lol) but its just before I knew what I had to do to get to level cap, play normal up to level X, then hell or whatever it was up to Y, then Inferno etc... how does it work now?

what happens when I finish on normal. do you go into act V, is that integrated into the story even for lower level? and after that do I restart on hard?

If you start a vanilla character, just start on normal and ramp the difficulty up as you get gear. You can change the difficulty from within the game, and probably should unless you want to stomp your way through all game. But it's a lot more satisfying to play when the difficulty isn't so low.

Robin64

I dont really care about challenge per se (I played marvel heroes for christ sake lol) but its just before I knew what I had to do to get to level cap, play normal up to level X, then hell or whatever it was up to Y, then Inferno etc... how does it work now?

what happens when I finish on normal. do you go into act V, is that integrated into the story even for lower level? and after that do I restart on hard?

When you beat Act IV, you transition into V, regardless of level.

The difficulties are for bonuses. You take on the highest level you are most comfortable with and reap rewards for doing so. Forget the Normal, Nightmare, Hell, Inferno progression of old.

Nymerio

Tell me about it. I'm shattered since I stayed up until 3am to hit level 70 on my barbarian; so that's not helping much either.

I hear ya. It's painful. Had time for just 6 bounties this morning before having to leave for work, and I just want to get back into it.

Haha, 3am for me too. wasn't going bed til I'd finished Act V and seen a bit of Adventure Mode. Suffering now at work, but I really don't care about it too much here.

At least you got to play it already :D. My friend took the day off so he could play at midnight and sent me a text at about 2 in the night that he was already lvl 65. I think I should've done the same.

How are the servers holding up? I really really hope I get to play tonight without any server shenanigans.

The story is seemless act 1-5 now. Just play it through on Hard. It's not much of a challenge, but it's a little more rewarding than just Normal and you get more experience so you'll level a bit faster. You don't restart the games multiple times now. You can adjust difficulty on the fly as you see fit and it's entirely up to you what you want to play on.

Rhaknar

When you beat Act IV, you transition into V, regardless of level.

The difficulties are for bonuses. You take on the highest level you are most comfortable with and reap rewards for doing so. Forget the Normal, Nightmare, Hell, Inferno progression of old.

wait, so how do you get to the level cap now then? sorry, just having a hard time wrapping my head around the new system.

also, a question about witch doctors. did they ever buff pet survivability? I used to love my pet build on my WD until I got to Inferno and pets were just 1 shot by everything, even the goliath. Is that any better now or are pet builds still crap?

I ask because if I continue to not feel the Crusader (which Im not so far, granted im only 10) I might just pick up my 60 WD and just do ACT V instead

Atram

4 more hours till i´m at home from work. Rushed tonight through Act5 in 45 min with my Barb (and a Friend) and played one complete Bounty + Rift. This is the D3 that i wanted 2 Years ago :D

Edit: i´m rly tired.

wait, so how do you get to the level cap now then? sorry, just having a hard time wrapping my head around the new system.

also, a question about witch doctors. did they ever buff pet survivability? I used to love my pet build on my WD until I got to Inferno and pets were just 1 shot by everything, even the goliath. Is that any better now or are pet builds still crap?

I ask because if I continue to not feel the Crusader (which Im not so far, granted im only 10) I might just pick up my 60 WD and just do ACT V instead

You just... play. The game scales around your character. You can get EXP from any difficulty, but the joy is you can play just about any difficulty you want, and the game adjusts. This way if you start a brand new character you can start on Normal and scale the difficulty up for more exp/gold/items as you acquire better gear.

V_Arnold

Pets were buffed long before RoS, that was addressed a while ago. So yeah, feel free to pick them now, they are much, much, much better than they were at launch.

Robin64

You can either play through the campaign at a high difficulty, which will bring you closer to the cap by the end with each level.

Or once you've beaten Act V, you unlock Adventure Mode, which is ideal for levelling the rest of the way.

Knch

Up to about torment IV my pets survive without much effort. (Poison/Pet build with dmg reduction passives)

Rhaknar

thanks guys. I switched to hard now on the Crusader, seems about the same so far so no point playing on normal.

and you made me excited about the WD again if pets dont get splattered in 1 second anymore :D

edit: ack my WD is naked, I have all the gear on my wizard... hmm how does it work again, I can go on any act to put the gear on the stash correct? it doesnt reset the story? (man I dont remember how any of this works, im sorry lol)

Robin64

edit: ack my WD is naked, I have all the gear on my wizard... hmm how does it work again, I can go on any act to put the gear on the stash correct? it doesnt reset the story? (man I dont remember how any of this works, im sorry lol)

Yeah, stash is shared between every character in every act. Though you might want to look at crafting something for your WD too.

Rhaknar

Yeah, stash is shared between every character in every act. Though you might want to look at crafting something for your WD too.

ok just to confirm, I can take my 60 wizard to act 1 and stash my gear, log my WD on act 1 to get the gear and that wont reset the story for either correct, I can still do act 5?

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Are there any decent images or videos of the Spectral Hound Minion & Aesthetic Artifacts from the Digital Deluxe Edition? I am tempted to upgrade for them!

Robin64

ok just to confirm, I can take my 60 wizard to act 1 and stash my gear, log my WD on act 1 to get the gear and that wont reset the story for either correct, I can still do act 5?

Correct, but you don't even need to take your wizard to Act 1. Just put it in the stash in any act and your WD can get it from the stash in Act 1.

Are there any decent images or videos of the Spectral Hound Minion & Aesthetic Artifacts from the Digital Deluxe Edition? I am tempted to upgrade for them!

3075EB2E636C24C253C3B869DD59C08E47346BE4.jpg

Rhaknar

Correct, but you don't even need to take your wizard to Act 1. Just put it in the stash in any act and your WD can get it from the stash in Act 1.

Im being retarded, but in the main menu when I select act I it says it will overwrite my save :/

edit: for the record, both my WD and my wizard are 60 and finished ACT4. my wizard atm has all the good gear, which I want to give back to my WD to start ACT 5

forrest

formerly nacire
Just hit 70 and I'm only, I'm guessing 2/3 through the Act?
Haven't gotten to Adria yet.
I've been taking my time and doing everything. Started on Torment 2 but dropped it down to Torment 1 after a couple of hours or so.

So far I'm extremely please with the expansion and Act V in particular. The level design seems to have fixed what was wrong with the first. No more static boundaries! Layouts will actually feel random! Holy shit at the side areas and events too! Well done Blizzard. Well done.

Robin64

Im being retarded, but in the main menu when I select act I it says it will overwrite my save :/

edit: for the record, both my WD and my wizard are 60 and finished ACT4. my wizard atm has all the good gear, which I want to give back to my WD to start ACT 5

It just means your current checkpoint will be overwritten. As long as you don't hit the Reset Quests button, you can jump around any point of the campaign as you see fit. Back to Act 1, do some stuff, then into Act 3. Just don't press that Reset Quests button!

GorillaJu

The set bonuses for the crusader set are nice, but not very fun. It's just like a flat "become X% more efficient with akarat's champion" instead of something that makes you rethink how to build your char.

See a star show up on my mini map while kiting. I get closer, see it's green. Think to self, please be 70 Tal Rasha. See it's an amulet, hope is still alive. Think to self, it's probably shitty ass Blackthorne. Identify: Shitty ass Blackthorne. Fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom